Saddam Likely to Be Hanged Before New Year, U.S. Military Officials Say

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
scandi said:
Actually Charlie, the GI that discovered the hole should have followed regimine and tossed a grenade in that hole, acc to that General who is always on FOX.
I don't know if I can agree with that. If they would have thrown a grenade then the "Americans" would have been responsible for killing SH. But, since we were just the ones who found him and brought him in that allowed Iraq to give him justice and what THEY felt was the correct punishment. (IMO)

southcitymom said:
It's always interesting to me that while all adults who are abused and unwanted as children do NOT go on to abuse others, adults who abuse others were (with rare exception) abused as children.

It is very interesting...it almost seems like it's something to do with how they are wired to begin with, or chemical imbalances in the brain, or something. Maybe if the parents are mentally ill, it's more likely that the offspring will be and will go on to abuse others, too. :waitasec:

czechmate7 said:
I don't know if I can agree with that. If they would have thrown a grenade then the "Americans" would have been responsable for killing SH. But, since we were just the ones who found him and brought him in that allowed Iraq to give him justice and what THEY felt was the correct punishment.

Exactly, Czechmate, that's what I think, too. The IRAQIS deserved to punish Saddam, they are the ones he hurt so much.

englishleigh said:
I saw an interview the other day with one of his boyhood friends who now lives in the U.S....he said Saddam was abused by the stepfather. However, I don't see his bad upbringing as an excuse for his crimes. Many people have abusive childhoods but don't turn into monsters. Many people DO, however. I feel sympathy for him for his sad upbringing but I do not excuse his horrendous actions as an adult b/c of it.
No, it doesn't excuse it, you are right. But, like SCM, I do find it interesting. I guess I feel like understanding madmen may help in not creating them?? Don't know, but there is an interesting correlation there. Maybe they don't all do terrible things on as grand of a scale as Saddam, but many wreak havoc on the lives around them. Again, though, I have to agree with you that bad upbringing doesn't excuse it.

englishleigh said:
It is very interesting...it almost seems like it's something to do with how they are wired to begin with, or chemical imbalances in the brain, or something. Maybe if the parents are mentally ill, it's more likely that the offspring will be and will go on to abuse others, too. :waitasec:
That can't be it, either. We've all seen cases where "bad" parents end up with "good" kids and "good parents that end up with "bad" kids.

IrishMist said:
......I guess I feel like understanding madmen may help in not creating them?? ....
This seems to be my driving desire in understanding the darker elements of the human condition. We learn a lot by looking straight at temporary evil that walks among us - or at least I do!

Repeating my link from previously.

Don't miss this SLIDE SHOW, it is a great group of historical pictures and information.

Here is the link for the SLIDE SHOW.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3042924/
Click on picture of SH holding the rifle.

There is an audio alongside each picture, that gives some historical info etc.

Surely being abused as a child, and being subserviant with no real control of your life, could possibly build and create a thirst for control as an adult.

Wonder how a real psychoanalyst would explain him?

There was a short interview of two of his daughters this morning. Both said he was a wonderful and gentle father, and that they could go to him anytime for help or to talk with him. He had an incredibly handsome family, but handsome is as handsome does. He has one really young daughter, I was figuring that she may be a young teenager by now.

Too bad, he did not point his abilities in a better direction.

At the slide show link there is a great picture of his entire family, including the two son in laws that he had murdered.

Question. I just watched the video (not the entire one) But why in the world do they wrap a black cloth around his neck? Are they afraid of rope Burns? :rolleyes:

JDB said:
Question. I just watched the video (not the entire one) But why in the world do they wrap a black cloth around his neck? Are they afraid of rope Burns? :rolleyes:

It might have irritated his sensitive skin, JDB! ;)

Jeana (DP) said:
I know I just thought it was funny. I guess they had to be Humane about it. :doh:

JDB said:
I know I just thought it was funny. I guess they had to be Humane about it. :doh:

When they were explaining on the news last night about how it was virtually painless to be hanged, I was thinking well at least that rope would hurt like hell. Didn't even give us that. :loser:

JDB said:
Is that really what it was for, or are we guessing? Cause I'm curious as to why now, too.

IrishMist said:
Is that really what it was for, or are we guessing? Cause I'm curious as to why now, too.
I have no idea. I was being silly :D

That is what I heard too about the black cloth. I believe that was intended to act as the hood. Saddam refused the hood (you can see him arguing with his guard on the gallows) so they wrapped it around his neck instead. You can see in the video that it doesn't fit very well as the guard has to hold it in place while the noose is being adjusted. I thought they said it was to prevent cutting the neck/decapitation. Is there a full version of the video? If not, how come they tape all the way up to when he would be suspended and then stop? And how come all the still photos of him ascending the gallows and the rope being applied are clear as day and then the photos of him supposedly dead are so blurry? I am not convinced.

kidzndogznme said:
That is what I heard too about the black cloth. I believe that was intended to act as the hood. Saddam refused the hood (you can see him arguing with his guard on the gallows) so they wrapped it around his neck instead. You can see in the video that it doesn't fit very well as the guard has to hold it in place while the noose is being adjusted. I thought they said it was to prevent cutting the neck/decapitation. Is there a full version of the video? If not, how come they tape all the way up to when he would be suspended and then stop? And how come all the still photos of him ascending the gallows and the rope being applied are clear as day and then the photos of him supposedly dead are so blurry? I am not convinced.

You're not saying that you don't think he's really dead, do you? :waitasec:

I am not convinced that he is dead until I see a video of him actually hanging or a picture of him clearly dead. The pictures of his 2 dead sons were gruesome but left no doubt. The picture of Saddam is very very blurry and shows him with his eyes and mouth closed. Not a standard look after hanging. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I do think some people in Iraq idolized him. Did they ever do a DNA match against his family members to prove they had Saddam in custody and not a lookalike? Some of those "twins" looked just like him. It would be quite ironic to find out that a lookalike had been hanged while Saddam is hanging out in a cave with BinLaden somewhere. And the misinformation (all 3 were hung, only Saddam was hung, he was hung before 10, he was hung at 10:08, he is going to Yemen, he is staying in Iraq) is just flooky to me.

Jeana (DP) said:
I thought that when they hang somebody, they also use a weight tied to the ankles to guarantee the job. Maybe that is just sometimes, as it would all depend on how far you are allowed to drop (slack in the rope) before you hit the end of your rope. It's not the rope choking that does the job; it's that sudden stop when you get to the end of the rope. I wonder how far they fell??

Buzzm1 said:
I thought that when they hang somebody, they also use a weight tied to the ankles to guarantee the job. Maybe that is just sometimes, as it would all depend on how far you are allowed to drop (slack in the rope) before you hit the end of your rope. It's not the rope choking that does the job; it's that sudden stop when you get to the end of the rope. I wonder how far they fell??

I'm not sure Buzz. I've seen photos and its done different at different times. I think sometimes they throw a rope around a tree, other times they weigh them to make sure they don't decapitate them, etc. I guess Iraq has enough practice with hangings, so they probably know what they're doing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust
Back