SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked out good for you I guess. But I don't think that this student left teacher or the officer any choice.

From what we have read she had her phone out for a brief moment. I'm sure that could have been ignored until after class. IMO

Well, that's a good thought for discussion. What should he have done, in front of this classroom full of students when she was told to get up out of her chair by a teacher, a principal and the RO, and she refused? At what point is the teacher allowed to get back to the lesson if she won't get herself out of the chair as requested? I ask because earlier on my radio show, Dr. Jeff Ward - a college professor - had all kinds of amusing ways to deal with it, but he's a college professor and you can deal with college students differently. Even to the point of telling the class, "it's a pretty day, everyone up except Freda there, who won't get out of her chair. Zero grade for the day, Freda, good job, you can sleep in that chair overnight for all I care, the rest of us are going outside to continue the lecture for the day."

You could read what I posted. Teaching is all about relationships. That is where you start as a teacher.

Well, that's a good thought for discussion. What should he have done, in front of this classroom full of students when she was told to get up out of her chair by a teacher, a principal and the RO, and she refused? At what point is the teacher allowed to get back to the lesson if she won't get herself out of the chair as requested? I ask because earlier on my radio show, Dr. Jeff Ward - a college professor - had all kinds of amusing ways to deal with it, but he's a college professor and you can deal with college students differently. His suggestion was telling the class, "it's a pretty day, everyone up except Freda there, who won't get out of her chair. Zero grade for the day, Freda, good job, you can sleep in that chair overnight for all I care, the rest of us are going outside to continue the lecture for the day."

How many times in your life have you or a classmate not done exactly as you were told by the teacher, and how many times in your life have you or a classmate been tackled to the ground by a police officer?

No, I need to understand who grants them this authority and how it is legitimized.

Really? Their jobs grant them this authority, and if you enroll in the public school system you agree to submit to legitimate authority.

Just like if you want to fly on an airplane you submit to legitimate authority of TSA agents who tell you to remove your shoes and take off your belt and walk through this machine. And if you choose to drive a car you submit to the legitimate authority of having a cop pull you over and demand to see your license and insurance if you are speeding, have a brake light out, run a stop sign, etc.

If you really don't understand what legitimate authority is, I don't know how to explain it in a post.

From what we have read she had her phone out for a brief moment. I'm sure that could have been ignored until after class. IMO

Boom.
Let's just be happy she didn't give the teacher a clock. Because this cop may have started shooting as well. Jmo

Yes. There's a correct way to challenge authority. I don't know if you are kidding with that question. If she didn't think she should have to put her cell phone away, she could have said "i'm so sorry, can I go out in the hall? This is an emergency call from my mom" (if in fact it was) Then, when the admin came in, apologize and say she's put her phone away now and sorry for being a disruption, and if he still wants to talk to her in the hall, that's fine. And then certainly when the cop tells her to get up, get up and then later take it up with the principal/counselor as to what happened. People challenge authority all the time, and win, but you can't just sit there and bluntly refuse to move when told to, by someone with legitimate authority. And then you certainly can't punch them.

Well that wouldn't really be challenging authority then would it :) I'm being a bit facetious, but I think the general idea of a correct way to challenge authority is ironic and kinda funny. I don't know the facts of what happened before the video starts, but I reckon the sheriff is exactly who she should have stood her ground with. Because bringing law enforcement into it is a complete overreaction to someone not putting their phone away or leaving the classroom. In this case, the sheriff happened to be a loose cannon.

Not knowing the full situation of why she did what she did I don't know if my parents would have accepted that as sound reasoning for my actions.

And yes, I essentially was taught teachers and cops work for me, not the other way around.

Me too, and I taught my kid the same thing. Politicians work for us too.

Oh yeah that professors suggestion sounds really mature and helpful.
I suggest reading the article human linked to.

Perhaps a little understanding and.compassion is all that is needed.

We don't even know exactly what this student did to even be asked to leave. It is possible the request was unfounded and she took exception to it. We don't know but what we do know is this officer should not have behaved the way he did to a student who didn't comply to a request to leave.

Well, that's a good thought for discussion. What should he have done, in front of this classroom full of students when she was told to get up out of her chair by a teacher, a principal and the RO, and she refused? At what point is the teacher allowed to get back to the lesson if she won't get herself out of the chair as requested? I ask because earlier on my radio show, Dr. Jeff Ward - a college professor - had all kinds of amusing ways to deal with it, but he's a college professor and you can deal with college students differently. His suggestion was telling the class, "it's a pretty day, everyone up except Freda there, who won't get out of her chair. Everyone else, get up and lets go outside. Zero grade for the day, Freda, good job, you can sleep in that chair overnight for all I care, the rest of us are going outside to continue the lecture for the day."

She could have turned the phone over to her teacher.That wouldn't have killed her.

How many times in your life have you or a classmate not done exactly as you were told by the teacher, and how many times in your life have you or a classmate been tackled to the ground by a police officer?

I've never doggedly and publicly refused, in front of a classroom, to comply with a teacher's instruction. And certainly not a principal's. And faced with a cop telling me to get out of my chair and come into the hallway, there is no way I would EVER refuse that instruction.

So. What should have been done? Should that teacher have just shrugged his shoulders and said oh well I guess she won't do what I'm saying. Geez, I sure hope the other kids in the class don't follow suit, or this could turn out to be a very very unpleasant day.

Well that wouldn't really be challenging authority then would it :) I'm being a bit facetious, but I think the general idea of a correct way to challenge authority is ironic and kinda funny. I don't know the facts of what happened before the video starts, but I reckon the sheriff is exactly who she should have her ground with. Because bringing law enforcement into it is a complete overreaction to someone not putting their phone away or leaving the classroom. In this case, the sheriff happened to be a loose cannon.

I wonder if the teacher was expecting this reaction from him. I hope not. And how could you not feel terrible seeing one of your students treated like that?

As a child I dont agree to anything regarding school. My parents may not have even signed anything. Nope still not legitimate just because some school board assigned some person to be my teacher.

No my license is is a contract between the state and me. Not between LEO and me.
The state contracts with the LEO. They are essentially sub contractors in that scenario.

TSA? I assume that when I buy a ticket for travel in the US. They have zero authority outside that contract ticket.

So I don't understand how you.don't understand legitimate authority.

Really? Their jobs grant them this authority, and if you enroll in the public school system you agree to submit to legitimate authority.

Just like if you want to fly on an airplane you submit to legitimate authority of TSA agents who tell you to remove your shoes and take off your belt and walk through this machine. And if you choose to drive a car you submit to the legitimate authority of having a cop pull you over and demand to see your license and insurance if you are speeding, have a brake light out, run a stop sign, etc.

If you really don't understand what legitimate authority is, I don't know how to explain it in a post.

She could have turned the phone over to her teacher.That wouldn't have killed her.

True but she didn't and here we are. What troubles me more than her not obeying was having a person entrusted to the safety of all causing more harm than good.
As long as detention or expulsion are available this didn't have to happen.Also communication with her family after class may have helped. IMO

Jenna T. I agree. But it isn't the girls fault that the school is now in the media and they are about to be sued for excessive force. They pay him and not her. So the weight is solely on him.

Blaming a cheating spouse while you are on trial for assaulting that spouse is never a defense.

You can not blame the victim in most cases where things escalated to violence. You may understand the why but that still doesn't let the person off the hook of being overly excessive. Jmo

Well said. This student needs to learn a few things about life.

One of those things is that we live in a world full of rules and laws. We have career politicians who feel that we need more and more rules and laws everyday.

Some of these rules and laws we may not agree with but we must obey them until we overturn them though the political process. We can't just say "no I don't like this law" and ignore it.

That's what this young girl did. And it's not the right way to deal with something you don't agree with.
JMO

As a child I dont agree to anything regarding school. My parents may not have even signed anything. Nope still not legitimate just because some school board assigned some person to be my teacher.

No my license is is a contract between the state and me. Not between LEO and me.
The state contracts with the LEO. They are essentially sub contractors in that scenario.

TSA? I assume that when I buy a ticket for travel in the US. They have zero authority outside that contract ticket.

So I don't understand how you.don't understand legitimate authority.

So I'm really curious. What would happen, if all the kids in the school decided they don't have to do what the teachers say, and people in line at airports don't have to comply with TSA regulations? I know it's a tempting fantasy to think oh I don't have to comply with anything or any rules at all, but what would happen in that case? If you felt like you don't agree with traffic lights, and so you can choose to stop or go whenever you feel it's safe to do so, regardless of the expectations of the other drivers? There's a reason there aren't any societies based on anarchy - because they'd crumble in a day.

I've never doggedly and publicly refused, in front of a classroom, to comply with a teacher's instruction. And certainly not a principal's. And faced with a cop telling me to get out of my chair and come into the hallway, there is no way I would EVER refuse that instruction.

So. What should have been done? Should that teacher have just shrugged his shoulders and said oh well I guess she won't do what I'm saying. Geez, I sure hope the other kids in the class don't follow suit, or this could turn out to be a very very unpleasant day.

The police officer should not have tackled her, thrown her to the ground, and dragged her - along with her desk - across the floor.

I'm impressed you were so obedient. I wasn't so perfect. I disobeyed my drill sergeants and was never subject to what this young woman had to endure.

My question was to point out this happens multiple times every day in schools all across the country and teachers and administrators handle it without resorting to unnecessary violence.

Well said. This student needs to learn a few things about life.

One of those things is that we live in a world full of rules and laws. We have career politicians who feel that we need more and more rules and laws everyday.

Some of these rules and laws we may not agree with but we must obey them until we overturn them though the political process. We can't just say "no I don't like this law" and ignore it.

That's what this young girl did. And it's not the right way to deal with something you don't agree with.
JMO

What do you know about what this student knows? One interaction and you think you can break her down psychologically and you know her motivations and beliefs? No. Please back up and stop putting so much on her.

The police officer should not have tackled her, thrown her to the ground, and dragged her - along with her desk - across the floor.

I'm impressed you were so obedient. I wasn't so perfect. I disobeyed my drill sergeants and was never subject to what this young woman had to endure.

My question was to point out this happens multiple times every day in schools all across the country and teachers and administrators handle it without resorting to unnecessary violence.

I wasn't always obedient, at all. But I wasn't openly defiant as a child. And now, as an adult and a member of adult society, I understand why we have rules that can be legitimately enforced.

I don't know what happened with this girl. I'd still really like to see the longer extended video from the angle that appears to show that she hit the officer several times and it was she who flipped her desk when being pulled upwards by the cop.

So I'm really curious. What would happen, if all the kids in the school decided they don't have to do what the teachers say, and people in line at airports don't have to comply with TSA regulations? I know it's a tempting fantasy to think oh I don't have to comply with anything or any rules at all, but what would happen in that case? If you felt like you don't agree with traffic lights, and so you can choose to stop or go whenever you feel it's safe to do so, regardless of the expectations of the other drivers? There's a reason there aren't any societies based on anarchy - because they'd crumble in a day.

I could only hope that it wouldn't come to being tackled and thrown about because I made the mistake of looking at my phone.IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawk53