SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have.

Then you should know they do weird, irrational things all the time. Even good ones will flex their muscles and challenge authority at times. They disobey for dumb reasons, lie, don't do as their told, burst into tears, mouth off, slam doors. It's all part of becoming an adult.

You asked why she refused to cooperate? She had her reasons.

Have you never known a teenager? :)

Just what I was thinking. I guess he showed her who was in charge though. For shame that anyone thinks the use of force was the correct method in this case.
If a parent or caregiver had responded like this guy to teach a lesson they would be in jail. IMO

Skipping past all the obvious debates, this officer is there to keep order in the school.
rsbm -

I would have thought he was there to protect students. However have all of the schools without police officers throughout history survived, with the chaos that must have ensued without an armed LEO?

I was going to try to stay out of this discussion, but I want to mention something about the SROs I have known. Their jobs were to make sure that anyone in the building belonged there, to call for police, medical assistance or fire department as needed, to patrol the grounds for hazards and deal with students involved in violence, drugs and other illegal activities. None of them was a part of normal classroom discipline .

MOO

BBM

Is the behavior displayed by this student considered to be normal today?

I sure hope not because she showed a total lack of care for anyone other than herself. Her fellow students are on the top of my list of the people she disrespected.

She should have obeyed her teacher and given up the phone. If she did that one simple thing the officer would have never been called to end the situation. JMO

She is a teenager. Her brain is still developing. She is questioning authority like all teenagers should. The question is what training that adult teacher and cop obviously failed that they allowed it to get to this point.

If you can't understand a child will be defiant for no good reason then you shouldn't be working with children. She also may have had a very good reason for what she did but they either didn't listen, didn't care or never bothered to ask.

Society is full of defiant people. We wouldn't be American if it weren't for defiance. Some of.which was rather silly and juvenile when you think back but it lead to dialogue and paved the way for.beneficial change.

I am not saying that is what happened here. I have no idea her reasoning but defiance in and of itself is not always a cause for concern.

I would like to know why a teenage student would refuse to cooperate with her teacher, a school administrator and finally a police officer over a very minor issue? A cell phone.

It's not like she would never get it back. What was going on in her mind to be so resistant to the orders given to her?

She needs to learn that she doesn't get to decide what always happens. She lives in a society with many rules and laws that must be obeyed whether you agree with them or not.

Someone failed to teach her that. JMO

It could well be more indifference than resistance. I think what is going on in her head is a good question. We had maybe 2 kids in my grade that were out of control - both boys with messed up home lives - one was the child of a policeman and made that known as an excuse. They had what went beyond normal disciplinary bad kid issues - they weren't rational. They did things solely to get in trouble and then became enraged or shut down when they did get in trouble, like they were hurt and surprised by it. Both clearly had serious mental/emotional issues - I used to just resent them, but after seeing a few incidents, I was more disturbed. I remember one kid went out of his way to get kicked out of class, and then actually started crying (in high school) when told to go to the principal's office. He were dangerous and has since been in and out of jail, but clearly needed help more than a lesson on rules. There was also one kid that was an extreme wiseguy, but more normal behavioral stuff. A longtime substitute teacher picked him up and threw him in response to a comment - the sub was not allowed back. This was shocking because he was well-liked and the kid was rude, but there was no question in my mind that he needed to be gone. This was in middle school...seeing a grown man lose it and do something like that is still never the acceptable response. it is always scary and makes it worse, no matter what the kid did. It wasn't coming from a place of anything but personal anger.

Omg I can't believe anyone is defending that cop. That video is sickening. To the people who care so much about disruptive behaviour in the classroom, how does that justify a police officer abusing their power? It's this cop that thinks he is above the law. The student didn't even break a law. What the hell are cops even doing in schools enforcing classroom behaviour? Bloody hell.....

Then you should know they do weird, irrational things all the time. Even good ones will flex their muscles and challenge authority at times. They disobey for dumb reasons, lie, don't do as their told, burst into tears, mouth off, slam doors. It's all part of becoming an adult.

You asked why she refused to cooperate? She had her reasons.

I never acted like that when I was a teenager because I was taught that it was wrong to disobey my teachers and police.

In other words I was taught to do the right things and not wrong or dumb things.

I'm sure this student did have her reasons. I place them in the "dumb" category. JMO

So I just was on a short road trip and listened to Dana Loesch on the radio. She was ranting and ranting (I guess that's her only mode of communication, basically yelling into the microphone). Anyway, she said she's seen a second video that makes this look MUCH different. It starts earlier on, and shows the girl repeatedly punching and kicking the cop, and then he put his hand on her shoulder and her pants and SHE flipped the chair herself. Has anyone heard or seen that video? Her producer in conversation with her during the show couldn't find it on the internet.

BBM

I sure hope not because she showed a total lack of care for anyone other than herself. Her fellow students are on the top of my list of the people she disrespected.

She should have obeyed her teacher and given up the phone. If she did that one simple thing the officer would have never been called to end the situation. JMO

I would say that removing a student from the classroom would probably be a part of normal discipline in most cases. If she had become or threatened to become violent, it would have been his job to handle it.

Again, MOO

I would say that removing a student from the classroom would probably be a part of normal discipline in most cases. If she had become or threatened to become violent, it would have been his job to handle it.

Again, MOO

I would hope that the vast majority of students would comply with their teachers commands.

Maybe it's optional in today's schools.

I never acted like that when I was a teenager because I was taught that it was wrong to disobey my teachers and police.

In other words I was taught to do the right things and not wrong or dumb things.

I'm sure this student did have her reasons. I place them in the "dumb" category. JMO

That's too bad, because kids learn a lot when they assert their independence and challenge authority. I don't mean they should be disrespectful or insolent, but just because an adult tells you to do something it doesn't mean you don't HAVE to do it. Kids need to know that. It's ridiculous to think kids will be obedient and docile 100% of the time. What kind of free thinkers, citizens, employees, parents, and leaders will they be if they go through life blindly doing as their told without question? What if a teacher or police officer tells them to do something that's harmful or wrong? The kid should do it anyway? I disagree.

Whatever Officer <modsnip> reasons, I place them in the "dumb" category.

BBM

Even though she refused to give up her phone or leave the classroom, did she really need to be taken down by a rent a cop?
Couldn't her parents be informed after class or she be made to serve detention? This was really out of hand for what she did. IMO

So I just was on a short road trip and listened to Dana Loesch on the radio. She was ranting and ranting (I guess that's her only mode of communication, basically yelling into the microphone). Anyway, she said she's seen a second video that makes this look MUCH different. It starts earlier on, and shows the girl repeatedly punching and kicking the cop, and then he put his hand on her shoulder and her pants and SHE flipped the chair herself. Has anyone heard or seen that video? Her producer in conversation with her during the show couldn't find it on the internet.

Where did she say she saw it?

A bit rough? More like a wild savage animal attacking. He is a very lucky man that no one was seriously injured.
I'm pretty sure he didn't even consider that during his take down. He was careless and out of control and has no business being around children. IMO

Did you notice how the girl in back was almost hit by the flying desk? It’s amazing that multiple students weren’t hurt by this raging mad man. Only American cops can take a small incident like removing a disruptive student from a class room, and turn it into an international incident, and endanger every student in the class room.

That's too bad, because kids learn a lot when they assert their independence and challenge authority. I don't mean they should be disrespectful or insolent, but just because an adult tells you to do something it doesn't mean you don't HAVE to do it. Kids need to know that. It's ridiculous to think kids will be obedient and docile 100% of the time. What kind of free thinkers, citizens, employees, parents, and leaders will they be if they go through life blindly doing as their told without question? What if a teacher or police officer tells them to do something that's harmful or wrong? The kid should do it anyway? I disagree.

I think that kids need to obey their teachers 100% of the time. If a teacher is doing something inappropriate the student can report it to someone higher up.

This student didn't do that. What she did do is cheat all of her fellow students out of valuable classroom time. How dare her.

I snipped the name variation to save a mod from having to do it.

JMO

So I couldn't find the new, longer video, but I did find this of the sheriff stating he had seen it, and it does contain the girl punching the officer. Apparently the other video is shot from a different vantage point and might make it clear the girl flipped the chair, not the cop. But again I don't know. The sheriff isn't letting the cop off the hook, and is waiting for an internal affairs investigation.

Really, it's quite a wonder her neck isn't broken.

[video=youtube;0tU9WZG5mXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tU9WZG5mXg[/video]

Did you notice how the girl in back was almost hit by the flying desk? It’s amazing that multiple students weren’t hurt by this raging mad man. Only American cops can take a small incident like removing a disruptive student from a class room, and turn it into an international incident, and endanger every student in the class room.

Yes I did. As I posted earlier he is a very lucky man in that no one was seriously injured during his madness. I imagine all the parents of these students are raging and concerned by his lack of thought before acting. IMO

Even though she refused to give up her phone or leave the classroom, did she really need to be taken down by a rent a cop?
Couldn't her parents be informed after class or she be made to serve detention? This was really out of hand for what she did. IMO

Deputy Fields is not a "rent a cop." Yes, she did need to be taken down in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298