SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, obviously they did SOMETHING or they wouldn't have been arrested.

And clearly they had evidence to arrest them. Everyone said all over SM and here, arrests only happen when there is evidence! Well, there you go. It may not be who some thought would be arrested, but the facts remain the same, LE arrests when they have evidence and find a guilty party.

Just asking: Is lying to LE equal to obstruction of Justice?

All MOO

In certain situation and most of the time, yes, it can be.

i am curious to see the statutes that are listed on the warrants. SC does not have an actual Obstruction statute. It is usually listed as something else, ie a less resisting arrest charge, sometimes simple battery if that is the case, destruction of evidence, etc.

Agree. Facebook is not the correct forum to use for obtaining info on a missing person.

Exactly! It's a great way to inform, keep the person in the forefront of people's thoughts, and ensure people know what official tip lines and contacts are, but it's not a venue for tips and speculation.

I'm sorry to see this happening. The distraction is not the recent arrest, it's the theater people are creating online.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_ae82099c-885c-11e3-b373-001a4bcf6878.html
"A police report says the first suspect made a post on Facebook stating that indictments were coming for a person and that the Department of Social Services were coming to take that person's children.

"This created a community reaction that diverted investigating officers," the report said. The report also said the suspect told a witness he was investigating the incident for the victim's family. Police said in the report the questioning was an attempt to access confidential information about the ongoing law enforcement investigation.

The suspect also conducted an independent search of a location in Horry County that revealed potential evidence and didn't immediately report it to investigating officers, according to the report."

Appalling and a waste of LE personnel resources and time.

Curios - what isn't 100% accurate?

Thank you for the comments I did snip, I only snipped them for length because I have nothing to add or argue about. But this question, what isn't 100% accurate it the google locations thing that was going around pre-arrests. It's maybe 75% accurate, however it seems subject to signal. ie. I haven't left home today and it had me out at 2 neighbors' houses and in the pond across the road twice. I find that in particular unhelpful in a case like this. On days when I do leave the house though it's showing as pretty accurate. Except for a day last week when it had me up the highway about 5 minutes away at 4am. I assure you, I never see 4am unless it's on my clock radio as I roll over and go back to sleep lol.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_ae82099c-885c-11e3-b373-001a4bcf6878.html
"A police report says the first suspect made a post on Facebook stating that indictments were coming for a person and that the Department of Social Services were coming to take that person's children."

Snipped for just the first bit. Because I remember that, and he didn't originate that rumor. Someone else did.

Obstruction of Justice n. an attempt to interfere with the administration of the courts, the judicial system or law enforcement officers, including threatening witnesses, improper conversations with jurors, hiding evidence, or interfering with an arrest. Such activity is a crime.

From what I have read, the BBM portion is what BB and GS were arrested on.

"A police report says the first suspect made a post on Facebook stating that indictments were coming for a person and that the Department of Social Services were coming to take that person's children.

"This created a community reaction that diverted investigating officers," the report said. The report also said the suspect told a witness he was investigating the incident for the victim's family. Police said in the report the questioning was an attempt to access confidential information about the ongoing law enforcement investigation.

The suspect also conducted an independent search of a location in Horry County that revealed potential evidence and didn't immediately report it to investigating officers, according to the report."

Yep, I remember reading the exact post about the children being taken away. I knew it was BS!

Question, does LE typically do a press release announcement from a wordpress blog account? It looks very fake IMO. Did our local media base their reports on that only. Did they really get arrested?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am speaking general..... What if the person running the tip line is the person responsible for the disappearance? Just thinking about if Scott Peterson had set one up and people called him. If he knew ppl were on to him, he could have changed things or moved things or got rid of evidence. NoT suggesting that is happening here. I just think it is odd. I don't like that my phone number is now in the hands of someone else.

now I'm really confused-I don't have access to Farcebook (thankfully). I guess I was under the assumption that TE wanted tips by what was stated??:banghead:

I don't think there was any ill intent towards the investigation here . The problem is that if someone (with even the best intentions)conducts an independent search, finds a crucial
piece of evidence and unintentionally contaminates it, it could literally ruin the chance of a successful conviction.

That being said, this is such a hard and terrible situation for the family. There have been so many missing persons cases where the family has had to be the ones to generate movement in the case long after their loved one had been relegated to the bottom of the cold case files. I think all of this just comes from desperation and frustration. It's a terrible shame all around.

Question, does LE typically do a press release announcement from a wordpress blog account? It looks very fake IMO. Did our local media base their reports on that only. Did they really get arrested?

All of the local news channels have reported it along with myhorry. Police and TE have been quoted.

now I'm really confused-I don't have access to Farcebook (thankfully). I guess I was under the assumption that TE wanted tips by what was stated??:banghead:

He wants the tips directly to the number he gave instead of the one on the posters, which is LE.

In certain situation and most of the time, yes, it can be.

i am curious to see the statutes that are listed on the warrants. SC does not have an actual Obstruction statute. It is usually listed as something else, ie a less resisting arrest charge, sometimes simple battery if that is the case, destruction of evidence, etc.

I was asking because I believe that a person lied to LE regarding his last contact with HE. The only thing I can think is that he recanted his statement before LE acted upon the info.

I can't wait to hear BB & GS POV.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the actual Horry County blog. They do use Wordpress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet8vip