SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought this is a situation where effort was made to create the appearance of distance between Heather and the perpetrator(s), and that there was assistance from another party, at the very least, in the disposal.

If the whole town was looking at my significant other as the number 1 suspect in a crime why would I go on the offensive?
Could it be that a third party at my request did the dirty deed and therefore I can project confidence in my partner and me? A "my hands are clean" attitude! just thinking out loud here...
Similar thoughts here too.

If I were in this situation all of my anger would be directed at DH who caused our family to come under such scrutiny. He'd be out like yesterdays garbage... unless I had something to hide.

JMO and all that jazz.

I can tell you from personal experience that when you are overloaded and overwhelmed in a situation you don't know how to handle, and possibly depressed as well, you may reach a point where you feel like you don't have any options and your only choice if you're going to survive is to get out. Depending on how much depression is involved, you may feel like the people you leave behind will be better off without you, or you may be sorry you have to cause them pain and wish it hadn't come to this.

I didn't quite leave, but I was within a hairsbreadth of leaving with nothing on me but my driver's license, ten bucks, and the clothes in my gym bag.

If OM really had said he was leaving his wife for her, I can see how she might feel she was at that point -- that she could no longer go on trying to be Daddy's good little girl on one side and the Other Woman on the other hand. I can totally see how she might have felt she had to get out to save her sanity.

Note that I'm not saying she did. Only that I don't think it would require hating her family, willful cruelty, or even ill intent. Sometimes when you get to the end of your rope, there's no knot to hang onto.

I think SM may have been followed. Unless he is violent and/or abusive I don't think he would have the anger or motive to make HE disappear as I don't believe it was over, but someone close to SM may have the anger & motive.

Someone posted some stats from the Justice Dept. several threads ago that showed it is more often the wife who kills the mistress by far. It was very interesting.

As much as I dislike to over-speculate or come up with outlandish scenarios about what happened to HE or where she is, I watched an episode of "Solved" the other night entitled, Bully which got me to thinking about a possible place to look for HE.

The episode was about the disappearance and murder of then, 14-year-old Tristan Jensen in Redlands, CA in August of 1998. His skeletal remains were found by some city workers clearing a sewer which feuled the investigation – resulting in the capture of his killer; 15-year-old "bully", J.P. Remsen that lived only a few blocks away.

It was surprising to the Investigators and myself as well that, due to the amount of gases emitted in the sewer system, Tristen's body was reduced to bones and disarticulated in a matter of a short 7 weeks time! If the clog in the sewer system wasn't discovered by workers, then what's to say that his bones wouldn't have dissolved completely and his remains would have never been found?

Here in South Carolina, there is not a lot of infrastructure in terms of drainage and underground water/sewer systems compared to most metropolitan areas. There are lot of rural areas with single family homes and mobile homes that are not connected to any city or county system. Therefor, homes use their own septic tanks for waste and "ditches" for rain water run-off. I got a septic myself and a big mote out front of my house that looks more like a small pond now from all the rain we just had!

Since we are all pretty much in the dark about search areas LE and CUE have covered, I wouldn't doubt that septic tanks have been overlooked completely, IMOO. I'd start with all of the foreclosed and abandoned properties first.

I know we also just started talking about land fills as well but, I would seriously consider searching septic tanks as they would be a very opportunistic place to hide someone or something you don't want to be found, IMO.

On another note: septic tanks around these parts are often referred to as "honey pots". Don't ask why! :eek:hdear:

Redland Daily Facts - NEWS - Murder Revisited

Solved:Bully - Full Episode on YouTube

Grand Strand Water & Sewer Authority - Service Area

Septic tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can tell you from personal experience that when you are overloaded and overwhelmed in a situation you don't know how to handle, and possibly depressed as well, you may reach a point where you feel like you don't have any options and your only choice if you're going to survive is to get out. Depending on how much depression is involved, you may feel like the people you leave behind will be better off without you, or you may be sorry you have to cause them pain and wish it hadn't come to this.

I didn't quite leave, but I was within a hairsbreadth of leaving with nothing on me but my driver's license, ten bucks, and the clothes in my gym bag.

If OM really had said he was leaving his wife for her, I can see how she might feel she was at that point -- that she could no longer go on trying to be Daddy's good little girl on one side and the Other Woman on the other hand. I can totally see how she might have felt she had to get out to save her sanity.

Note that I'm not saying she did. Only that I don't think it would require hating her family, willful cruelty, or even ill intent. Sometimes when you get to the end of your rope, there's no knot to hang onto.

I don't disagree with your post. A lot of what you say could make sense. Having significant experience with depression (including at her age in a bad relationship situation) as well as diagnosing and treating it in others, these are the things that steer me away from it:

She was about to start a new career in something she reportedly had been working toward since being in high school (so something to look forward to).

She went on a date, which suggests to me, she was trying to get over OMM, or possibly as a cover, but still suggestive of doing something to change a situation.

She was reportedly texting her father about Christmas gifts.

Depressed people tend to not be looking forward to things. They feel helpless and hopeless. They tend to isolate themselves. They tend to feel nothing is going to change for the better, so why bother?

These are some indicators to me. I do think it is possible she left. I just think it's highly unlikely.

Also, I know some posters don't feel she would have gone to her father, necessarily, if scared. I don't know. I don't know that I would have. And I don't know how her father seemed before this. He may not have been someone you suspected of having this much strength. But, if he were, I don't think she would have hesitated to go to him. Because he would clearly go to any lengths to protect her. Her texts to him suggest, to me, that they did have a fairly close relationship.

As much as I dislike to over-speculate or come up with outlandish scenarios about what happened to HE or where she is, I watched an episode of "Solved" the other night entitled, Bully which got me to thinking about a possible place to look for HE.

The episode was about the disappearance and murder of then, 14-year-old Tristan Jensen in Redlands, CA in August of 1998. His skeletal remains were found by some city workers clearing a sewer which feuled the investigation – resulting in the capture of his killer; 15-year-old "bully", J.P. Remsen that lived only a few blocks away.

It was surprising to the Investigators and myself as well that, due to the amount of gases emitted in the sewer system, Tristen's body was reduced to bones and disarticulated in a matter of a short 7 weeks time! If the clog in the sewer system wasn't discovered by workers, then what's to say that his bones wouldn't have dissolved completely and his remains would have never been found?

Here in South Carolina, there is not a lot of infrastructure in terms of drainage and underground water/sewer systems compared to most metropolitan areas. There are lot of rural areas with single family homes and mobile homes that are not connected to any city or county system. Therefor, homes use their own septic tanks for waste and "ditches" for rain water run-off. I got a septic myself and a big mote out front of my house that looks more like a small pond now from all the rain we just had!

Since we are all pretty much in the dark about search areas LE and CUE have covered, I wouldn't doubt that septic tanks have been overlooked completely, IMOO. I'd start with all of the foreclosed and abandoned properties first.

I know we also just started talking about land fills as well but, I would seriously consider searching septic tanks as they would be a very opportunistic place to hide someone or something you don't want to be found, IMO.

On another note: septic tanks around these parts are often referred to as "honey pots". Don't ask why! :eek:hdear:

Redland Daily Facts - NEWS - Murder Revisited

Solved:Bully - Full Episode on YouTube

Grand Strand Water & Sewer Authority - Service Area

Septic tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think this is at all an outlandish scenario and it aligns with my thinking that there was a plan to use a site or method that made it extremely difficult for a timely recovery, or one that will yield a lot of evidence, if she is found.

I'm also hesitant to propose a lot of details or openly speculate, but it's reasonable to me that a lot of thought went into the disposal aspect of this disappearance.

I'm still having difficultly imaging PTL as the place where HE drove to early on the 18th. The Sheriff says, "We're fairly comfortable that she drove there herself." While the lead investigator says "We do not have anything that indicates she did not drive there." That last statement is saying that they are proving a negative which in my line of work (auditing) I know is almost impossible to do. In fact, we can't really state in our reports that something did not occur because we have no evidence that it didn't. It's like saying 'we know they are guilty because we have no evidence they are not guilty.' LE very likely knows far more than we do, but their statements just don't give me much assurance.

That said, though, IF HE did drive to PTL, TE stated the car and surrounding area appeared to be normal per TE in an interview:
'I unlocked the car as the officer looked over everything. It’s a mess, but it is Heather’s mess. Probably nothing to worry about, I told him. We do a search of the surrounding area and nothing looked alarming or out of the ordinary.'

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/heather-elvis-disappearance-terry-elvis

So there is no apparent evidence of a struggle in the car or at the scene or at least what was initially obvious. LE did not process the vehicle at the scene, so the deputy must have had sufficient doubt that this was a crime scene.

If HE went there, she likely locked up her car, took her purse & keys and got into a vehicle of someone she trusted. That vehicle may be the crime scene OR HE and the other person went to another location and whatever happened occurred there.

I've got to think that LE is talking to HE's roommate and also to known associates of those she had relationships with the past to find out if there are places HE went to be alone with someone.

Of course, once in the vehicle the driver may have suggested a new place or 'lets just take a drive, watch the sunrise or whatever and talk this out.' It may have seemed like random driving around to HE, but the driver may have had another place in mind. That's going to make matters difficult because whatever occurred - and the cover up - could have happened miles from PTL. Since it is early morning, I'm wondering when these known associates of HE reported to work on the 18th.

RBBM- That's something to ponder. Wonder if a self-employed person had work scheduled for the following day and did not show up? I'm sure that's one of the first questions LE would want to ask someone?

If the whole town was looking at my significant other as the number 1 suspect in a crime why would I go on the offensive?
Could it be that a third party at my request did the dirty deed and therefore I can project confidence in my partner and me? A "my hands are clean" attitude! just thinking out loud here...

This is the only way I can make sense of certain behaviors, well said Topcat.

I am glad you are here friend, never leave us! I've been there also, but in this case I just do not see her doing this.

taunting a victims family shows me that the bully has MANY psychological problems!!!! JMOO

Just thinking, hoping for under cover LE, PI or informant to bring justice for HE.
IMO, this had to be planned out well, not finding her body. Yes, I am so sorry but I feel she is deceased. There is a trial going on right now (Amanda Hays) that husband/wife dismembered Laura and put her body parts in an old dresser and took the dresser to Texas, IIRC, Perps go to great lengths to cover their tracks. If an accident, suicide, OD the deceased is found rather close by and sooner than later........JMOO

BBM

Yes they do and some of them are very good at hiding bodies. Often they take them to areas they are familiar with. In the case you mentioned, one of the perps had relatives that lived adjacent to or very near the place they dumped the dismembered body.

I don't disagree with your post. A lot of what you say could make sense. Having significant experience with depression (including at her age in a bad relationship situation) as well as diagnosing and treating it in others, these are the things that steer me away from it:

She was about to start a new career in something she reportedly had been working toward since being in high school (so something to look forward to).

She went on a date, which suggests to me, she was trying to get over OMM, or possibly as a cover, but still suggestive of doing something to change a situation.

She was reportedly texting her father about Christmas gifts.

Depressed people tend to not be looking forward to things. They feel helpless and hopeless. They tend to isolate themselves. They tend to feel nothing is going to change for the better, so why bother?

These are some indicators to me. I do think it is possible she left. I just think it's highly unlikely.

Also, I know some posters don't feel she would have gone to her father, necessarily, if scared. I don't know. I don't know that I would have. And I don't know how her father seemed before this. He may not have been someone you suspected of having this much strength. But, if he were, I don't think she would have hesitated to go to him. Because he would clearly go to any lengths to protect her. Her texts to him suggest, to me, that they did have a fairly close relationship.

I don't disagree with anything you said, either. And I don't think she was deeply depressed. But it doesn't take much depression to produce feelings of helplessness and warped judgement, such as assuming people close to you wouldn't love you if they knew what a you really were ( being a word describing the emotion, not an objective description).

Somebody looking at me at the time would have thought I had everything, too. I had a new baby I adored, a new job and promotion, a wonderful husband -- and yet I thought I was trash and didn't deserve any of it. I kept up the facade of good wife/mother/career woman, but that day I just ran out of energy to keep faking it. Rock bottom.

HE has a genuine conflict going on. The good church girl versus the one who's having an affair with a married man. I'm not convinced she left, either, but I think we need to be careful not to underestimate the crisis she had been going through, either.

In so many ways, I feel that the HE disappearance is synonymous with the tragic murder of TN nursing student Megan Sharpton. Keep watching the video link for the continuing tragic story;

WINCHESTER, Tn. (WHNT)–Megan Sharpton’s mother is pleading for help from Franklin County, Tennessee District Attorney Mike Taylor. She wants the man she believes is responsible for her daughter’s death behind bars.
http://whnt.com/2012/09/11/megan-sharpton-murder-update-arrests-may-be-near/

Murder Victim's Family Fears For Safety
Posted: Sep 11, 2012

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19518618/murder-victims-family-fears-for-safety

If Heather exited and locked and her car, and got into another and was driven away...how could dogs trail her scent?

This.

I can't picture TE going a year, with no arrest, without something bad happening. And many task forces are reduced in size within months. I remember Kyron's being reduced at four months, and he was seven. No way will TE manage to hang on for a year or two years, IMO, without his health failing, or something else happening. JMO

I don't disagree with anything you said, either. And I don't think she was deeply depressed. But it doesn't take much depression to produce feelings of helplessness and warped judgement, such as assuming people close to you wouldn't love you if they knew what a you really were ( being a word describing the emotion, not an objective description).

Somebody looking at me at the time would have thought I had everything, too. I had a new baby I adored, a new job and promotion, a wonderful husband -- and yet I thought I was trash and didn't deserve any of it. I kept up the facade of good wife/mother/career woman, but that day I just ran out of energy to keep faking it. Rock bottom.

HE has a genuine conflict going on. The good church girl versus the one who's having an affair with a married man. I'm not convinced she left, either, but I think we need to be careful not to underestimate the crisis she had been going through, either.

ITA, this was a girl in emotional turmoil, IMO. I def can see the conflict you are talking about. I believe, in many ways, her SM portrayal of herself was somewhat of a "wannabe", iykwim, than a portrayal of who she was. I think she wanted to sound worldly and mature and not too many people her age could pull that off and I don't believe she did either.

Being brought up in a Christian family, doing missionary work, etc, etc. I cannot help but believe this was a girl divided. I wish I believed she ran off. I don't think anything can be ruled out. I do think she would be horrified, and frightened, to know her family knew about the 'other Heather'. And that could make her afraid to reach out to let them know she's okay. However, I don't believe, in any way, that she is somewhere, of her own accord, not knowing what her family is going through.

I guess that's part of my doubt. Her father has made it pretty clear that he loves her, no matter what, and wants her back more than he wants to live himself. And that he would protect her, no matter what. I think that's what makes me feel if she did walk away, she would have kept tabs from afar, and would never have stayed away, not making contact, seeing the pain everyone is in. They have made it crystal clear that, to them, she is definitely worthy.

BBM

Yes they do and some of them are very good at hiding bodies. Often they take them to areas they are familiar with. In the case you mentioned, one of the perps had relatives that lived adjacent to or very near the place they dumped the dismembered body.

BBM yes, familiar with area! also in Caylee Anthony, her egg donors childhood pet burial grounds

What proof is there that Heather did not just up and leave willingly and go somewhere and commit suicide?

I mean, stranger things have happened. Yes, the calls did take place, no question, but, maybe she was desperately sad and decided to end it. That would explain her just locking her car and walking away.

Maybe her body is out there somewhere as yet to be found. Heck, she may not even be very far away.

I certainly wish her to be alive, and I desperately want her to not have been murdered (abducted/tortured etc.). The odds are just not in her favour. Unfortunately. :(

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member