SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Heather exited and locked and her car, and got into another and was driven away...how could dogs trail her scent?

Somewhere it was said that the car was found 10 minutes (or 10 miles?) from a place where Heather was known to hang out. Hang out? That could be anywhere. Are they maybe referring to where she and OMM would go to be alone. Did she meet him at PTL and then they went to this other usual place. I did notice that PTL isn't really a half-way point between Heather's home and his home.

What is 10 miles or 10 minutes from there? I'll have to find the article to nail down which 10 it was.

ITA, this was a girl in emotional turmoil, IMO. I def can see the conflict you are talking about. I believe, in many ways, her SM portrayal of herself was somewhat of a "wannabe", iykwim, than a portrayal of who she was. I think she wanted to sound worldly and mature and not too many people her age could pull that off and I don't believe she did either.

Being brought up in a Christian family, doing missionary work, etc, etc. I cannot help but believe this was a girl divided. I wish I believed she ran off. I don't think anything can be ruled out. I do think she would be horrified, and frightened, to know her family knew about the 'other Heather'. And that could make her afraid to reach out to let them know she's okay. However, I don't believe, in any way, that she is somewhere, of her own accord, not knowing what her family is going through.

I guess that's part of my doubt. Her father has made it pretty clear that he loves her, no matter what, and wants her back more than he wants to live himself. And that he would protect her, no matter what. I think that's what makes me feel if she did walk away, she would have kept tabs from afar, and would never have stayed away, not making contact, seeing the pain everyone is in. They have made it crystal clear that, to them, she is definitely worthy.

Yeah, most likely you're right.

The only other thought I have is that sometimes young people don't see their parents' unconditional love. Sometimes they're too close to the conflict and only see the criticism and disapproval. And sometimes they do stupid things without thinking.

If she did run off, would she be too ashamed and embarrassed to make herself known?

What proof is there that Heather did not just up and leave willingly and go somewhere and commit suicide?

I mean, stranger things have happened. Yes, the calls did take place, no question, but, maybe she was desperately sad and decided to end it. That would explain her just locking her car and walking away.

Maybe her body is out there somewhere as yet to be found. Heck, she may not even be very far away.

I certainly wish her to be alive, and I desperately want her to not have been murdered (abducted/tortured etc.). The odds are just not in her favour. Unfortunately. :(

JMO

I'm no expert, but I don't think suicide victims go to such great lengths to hide their own bodies. JMO

Do we know if TE knew about OM before HE disappeared? Did TE/OM ever have words like 'stay away from my daughter?'
I still can't see what HE saw in OM. He is old enough to be her dad.
[modsnip]
I could see it if he was atleast good looking..............MOO

I can't picture TE going a year, with no arrest, without something bad happening. And many task forces are reduced in size within months. I remember Kyron's being reduced at four months, and he was seven. No way will TE manage to hang on for a year or two years, IMO, without his health failing, or something else happening. JMO

Is it just me or is 15 LE assigned to a high-profile missing person case with public pressure pretty low? I completely understand why they might not be able to assign more LE since there are a lot of other issues they have to deal with, but it seems lower than usual in these types of cases. And when you consider how some of the 15 are from "national and state agencies", then how many from HCPD or MBPD? And since it's the off-season, wouldn't crime be down?

What proof is there that Heather did not just up and leave willingly and go somewhere and commit suicide?

I mean, stranger things have happened. Yes, the calls did take place, no question, but, maybe she was desperately sad and decided to end it. That would explain her just locking her car and walking away.

Maybe her body is out there somewhere as yet to be found. Heck, she may not even be very far away.

I certainly wish her to be alive, and I desperately want her to not have been murdered (abducted/tortured etc.). The odds are just not in her favour. Unfortunately. :(

JMO

I'm not sure how she would've travelled to another location to do this. If she walked too far someone would've probably seen her. And I feel like if she didn't walk far enough she would be found by now. Or if someone gave her a ride somewhere they probably would've spoken up by now.
The fact that her car was at the landing and it seems no one has seen her or admits to seeing her after she arrived and they haven't found her makes me think she didn't go somewhere else to end her life.
I don't know why someone would leave a car one place and commit suicide in another place unless it was to make some sort of statement in which case a body would be found. And then I wonder why would she take her keys to do that.
Sorry to ramble just thinking as I type.
IMO this would be a very very slim possibility.

Is it just me or is 15 LE assigned to a high-profile missing person case with public pressure pretty low? I completely understand why they might not be able to assign more LE since there are a lot of other issues they have to deal with, but it seems lower than usual in these types of cases. And when you consider how some of the 15 are from "national and state agencies", then how many from HCPD or MBPD? And since it's the off-season, wouldn't crime be down?

How many officers in total are employed by HCPD in off season? I guess I'd have to know this number before deciding if 15 is not enough or too few.

How many officers in total are employed by HCPD in off season? I guess I'd have to know this number before deciding if 15 is not enough or too few.

HCPD has 281 officers. MBPD has "more than 250 officers and staff" so maybe like 500+ altogether? So if we consider that some of the 15 are from national and state agencies, maybe like 10 are from MBPD and HCPD; that's 10/500; that's 2% of the total.

In the last interview, Terry said that the investigation barely has a heartbeat.

I have no idea if those numbers are different during the off-season. Their website doesn't make it sound like the numbers of officers is seasonal.

Also, in a lot of cases, LE will organize searches. Has that happened here? Or has it been the family putting something together with CUE?

JMO

BBM
There is no proof she didn't commit suicide. However, most people that commit suicide usually don't do it in a location they can't be found.

Her is body is out there somewhere. But, I fear it is going to be very difficult if not impossible to locate.

I hope she is alive, too and would love to see her come through the door of her home and embrace her heartbroken family. But, I agree the odds are against it.

Somewhere it was said that the car was found 10 minutes (or 10 miles?) from a place where Heather was known to hang out. Hang out? That could be anywhere. Are they maybe referring to where she and OMM would go to be alone. Did she meet him at PTL and then they went to this other usual place. I did notice that PTL isn't really a half-way point between Heather's home and his home.

What is 10 miles or 10 minutes from there? I'll have to find the article to nail down which 10 it was.

PTL is located near a piece of land owned by the Elvis' though.

JMO

taking of her phone and keys just prevents me from going in that direction, imo...

On KDKA TV we just viewed an advertisement to spring break deals at MB...........

taking of her phone and keys just prevents me from going in that direction, imo...

Meh....If someone is unstable mentally, and at the end of a mental illness, I don't think anyone could really say what they may or may not do.

This is JMO, and I'm not even saying she did commit suicide, just that she may have. Stranger things have happened.

In case it is needed... ShaShaGa. Not meaning to sound snarky, SSG. This area is about 80% wilderness; national forest and state wma's, etc. If you do get stranded and have to hike out, it can come in handy. Wild pigs and dog packs can be dangerous. Due to the mountainous terrain, cell phones are useless..

OT
I totally agree. Some people that live in or near "the city" all their life dont quite understand what real rural living involves and the situations that could arise where a gun can come in handy. I live way out in the "sticks" and I will typically carry a holstered sidearm when I am hiking. I never go out with the intention of using it and very seldom have, but the time where a pack of 3 dogs rushed at me and would not back off I was very glad to have it and fired a simple warning shot into the ground and they ran like crazy.

Watching a show about Lori Hackings murder by her husband tonight...LE said that once they found blood on the bed, and the receipt for the new mattress bought the morning she disappeared,it was still not enough without her body, even combined with the lies about med school and college and about being kicked out of his mission (he was caught in bed with someone he was supposed to be converting)...so obviously they use very high evidence standards when the victim isn't found. (Of course she was found once he confessed to his brother.)

Heather may not stand a chance of justice, if she is not found.

JMO
From what I have seen, it depends on the circumstantial evidence LE has and the LE area itself. Some LEAs are more willing to go out on a limb than others. I still have a hard time with them not pressing charges before the confession on the above case, though. JMO.

The majority of folks here do not have "garbage pick-up service". We throw everything into the back of our truck [or car] and take it to "the dump" as we call it. Technically, they are called Recycling & Convenience Centers and are scattered throughout Horry County.

They are "lightly" supervised with one or two attendants that monitor the site and occasionally help people decide which container to use for their waste/recyclables.

I'm not sure if any of the Centers have security cameras but, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to check early on.

The one I normally go to is 2.5 miles from my house. Sometimes, I may go to another one further away if I need to do something else in that direction.

Like this one, which is off of Old Dick Pond Rd. / 544. http://goo.gl/maps/d4GxZ

Horry County Solid Waste Authority
Thank you for that information. That makes me think that disposal could be pretty easy in one of the landfills. I won't go into the details of why I think it would be easy, but I can think of several scenarios.

I've been having those same thinking out loud thoughts since yesterday. It makes a lot of sense to me.
There must have been something yesterday, because I got those same thoughts after I made a post yesterday. Suddenly I saw things a little differently.

If Heather exited and locked and her car, and got into another and was driven away...how could dogs trail her scent?
I would think they would at least get a hit outside the car. I guess we don't know if there was any hit outside her car or not.

JMO
It's a thought if she just jumped into the river, but why take your keys, purse, etc. That's not common. If those had been left in the car, I'd be thinking river. She also had a condo to herself, which would be a more likely place to find her.

PTL is located near a piece of land owned by the Elvis' though.
Did we ever get confirmation of that? I keep hearing that, I and don't disbelieve it, but I'd sure like to know where exactly that is located. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

I'm no expert, but I don't think suicide victims go to such great lengths to hide their own bodies. JMO

Somewhat OT/
I have lightly followed the Leanne Bearden thread. She was found today after 4 weeks of searching by LE & family only blocks from her last seen residence. There is much speculation she was "missing of her own free will" but its now appearing suicide.
I did not expect this in her case.
I have seen other cases of those missing who do go to remote locations and are not found easily at all.

If you look at the search for Leanne, makes you wonder how they missed her when she was so close. This happens frequently.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members