SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. There is no way this guy is going to get less than either DP or LWOP. What good will the hate crime charge do? You can only kill him once.

2. I wish people who do not live in SC would not try to regulate how those of us who do live there live. Believe it or not, we are not all illiterate racists.

I will stick up for you and your state! I've been to Charleston on vacation and loved it, the history and the wonderful people. I'm hoping to drive through your state on my way up to Virginia later this year. I've read here, and of course other stuff in the media all the time, about my chosen state of Texas being racist and bigoted. That hasn't been my experience in the 13 years I've lived here. I'm sure there are plenty of racists if I look for them and decide I want to hang out with those types. Hmmm, just as in every state.

You are also not alone in your questioning of the hate crime issue...I know of others who, from a real "human value" question, wonder why the *reason* matters for the crime. How someone described it to me was, "because I was killed due to xyz reason, my life mattered or was worth more than yours, if you were killed out of just general rage/anger?" I had never thought about it like that, and have come back to that question many times over the years. I'm sure it was enacted to ensure the maximum penalty for some crimes that targeted certain groups, to work around lesser charges in differing states, maybe?...but in this case, if SC already has the DP for state crimes, and they are intending to proceed with it, then why are the federal charges required? Maybe procedural reasons or ? I really don't know, as it isn't something we deal with in this office. Remember, in almost all other crimes, motive does not matter or need to be proven.

1. There is no way this guy is going to get less than either DP or LWOP. What good will the hate crime charge do? You can only kill him once.

2. I wish people who do not live in SC would not try to regulate how those of us who do live there live. Believe it or not, we are not all illiterate racists.

Hate crime laws can be useful in preventing serious crimes. They can be one more tool for the justice system to fight crime. They can help prevent the escalation to more serious crimes. The dangerous racist/s who vandalizes an AA church or shouts racist threats to the congregation, for example, will get tougher punishment under a hate crime law than under regular laws. He/she will get the message that their behavior will not be tolerated and that they'll face stiffer punishment if it continues.

As for people from other states telling South Carolinians what to do - your decisions are up to you. But you'll have to accept the fact that others may criticize you for them. People in your state will also learn that outsiders will become less likely to visit or move there. Personally, I know a half dozen or more people who have turned down jobs in southern states in recent years because they don't want to live in a racist environment. The same thing applies for retirement and vacations. People don't want to be around that kind of talk and behavior.

That's not how I'm reading it...

For South Carolina, one of only 5 states that do not have a hate crimes law, the passage of the Matthew Shepard Act means that for the first time there are legal protections for victims of hate crimes in this state. The Columbia Division of the FBI, along with the US Department of Justice, has already begun training law enforcement officials in the state about the new and they are required to investigate all violations of federal law within the State of South Carolina not exclusively assigned to another federal agency.

http://www.scequality.org/get_informed/hate_crimes/

I was responding to this post
"I thought hate crime charges are federal. May be wrong."Kimberlyd125

And saying that Yes hate crime charges in South Carolina would have to be federal- as the state is one of 5 with no hate crime law

So sillly me - this is a stupid question - a rationial answer to this young man. Just shame on me! Lets stretch - I am having trouble doing it. HOw on earth could doing what he did cause a race war? The racial stuff this past year is all about cell phones, and "seeing" LE abuse their powers.

How could he think a 90 lb white male, killing africian americans could casue a race war. I mean socitites reaction is just what it is - repulsion.

I am just so silly huh?

THis hearing is nothing - 18 seconds

I just don't understand why people say the south is so racist. According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of the black alone population increased in the South, from 55 percent in 2000 to 57 percent in 2010, whereas it decreased in the Northeast and the Midwest. If the south is so racist why do so many blacks still chose to live here ?

Or the KKK should not be judged by a hood anymore than a person should be judged by the color of their skin?

The person wearing that hood CHOSE to wear that hood. Last I heard South Carolina had a representative government. Just as I don't agree with everything the state legislature does in Texas, I'm sure many South Carolinans don't agree with everything the state legislature does there. I think it's offensive to paint all South Carolinans as racist because the Confederate flag flies on the Capitol grounds. I'm sure many disagree with it but are powerless to stop it.

........scarlet and ashley lol

i loved the speech about all of the victims, on both sides of the aisle..........

heartbreaking..........she forgives him..........

I found the judge's lengthy speech about sympathy for the racist's family somewhat awkward and inappropriate. Their pain is much less than the friends and families of the victims and the community at large who must now live with fear of someone copying this horrible behavior.

I'm sure he meant well, but this isn't the time and place for expounding on the virtues of the racist murderer's family.

the next speaker also forgives him and asks him to repent and give himself to god

Oh my! I'm in tears! He sure doesn't look so arrogant anymore. I wonder if he's finally realized what he's done?:anguish:

I just don't understand why people say the south is so racist. According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of the black alone population increased in the South, from 55 percent in 2000 to 57 percent in 2010, whereas it decreased in the Northeast and the Midwest. If the south is so racist why do so many blacks still chose to live here ?

Not sure where you live, but you would have had to live in the South to understand.

Why do they choose to live here? It is their right to live here!

all speakers talked of god and forgiving and not letting hate win even though they are hurting :heartbeat:

omg how moving that was........bless them all :rose:

1M bond on weapons charge, not authorized to set bond on 9 murder charges, they are adjourned.............as soon as it is put up on tape, i'll link..........

:rose:

:grouphug:

I found the judge's lengthy speech about sympathy for the racist's family somewhat awkward and inappropriate. Their pain is much less than the friends and families of the victims and the community at large who must now live with fear of someone copying this horrible behavior.

I'm sure he meant well, but this isn't the time and place for expounding on the virtues of the racist murderer's family.

I disagree-

South Carolinians should stop flying a symbol of hate- we most certainly should not forget or sanitize our countries past and the confederate flag is a part of that history in the south but you no longer need to fly it over your Capitol.

I'm a damn Yankee through and through, but I never saw the Confederate flag as a symbol of hate. I believe each state is/should be entitled to proudly display their history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darla4