SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

The killer(s) might have gotten too close to the property and the dogs started barking, prompting PM/MM to go out and investigate. Perhaps breaking into the house after bedtime and taking out the entire family was the original plan.

Regarding the property...I noticed that the following was redacted from the released police reports:

Entry Forced <redacted>
Forces Used <redacted>

So perhaps they did hear something or interrupt something. OR, they (Paul and Maggie) arrived home to find something in progress. Breaking into the other vehicle or one of the outbuildings?
Do we know if Paul and Maggie were home all evening?

Regarding the property...I noticed that the following was redacted from the released police reports:

Entry Forced <redacted>
Forces Used <redacted>

So perhaps they did hear something or interrupt something. OR, they (Paul and Maggie) arrived home to find something in progress. Breaking into the other vehicle or one of the outbuildings?
Do we know if Paul and Maggie were home all evening?

If they were all at home when Dad called to be taken to the hospital, it’s possible MM and PM went over in their car to stay with Mom at this difficult time. Then the two of them returned before PM arrived back and encountered a situation in progress.

I wonder where they usually parked their cars?

Amother thought, MM might have followed AM over to stay with his Mother…leaving PM at home. He might have then been visited by these two people and something occurred. Mom unfortunately then returned as it was underway…and was killed because she witnessed what happened.

Last edited:
<snipped & BBM from your link>

In that case, it was immediately apparent Mr. Murdaugh would be a suspect, that his father owned the boat in which those involved were travelling and that other passengers were related to employees of my office.

It was the Dad AM and not the brother that owned the boat, just highlighting that.

Yes…I believe that the brother was named in the suit for supplying the fake ID.

Let’s not forget that a grand jury investigation is also underway centered on how the investigation into the boat crash was handled. . I wonder who might be in jeopardy because of that? A few more people to add to the suspect list perhaps.

Although I wasn't really expecting major bombshell information with the SLED reports, very little was new.

I am leaning toward AM being the original target - he is the patriarch and is likely seen as the "leader" of the family. Also, his work with the prosecution office puts him in a precarious position. As for the 911 tape not being released, AM might have speculated or mentioned a possible suspect.

I know some people are wary that AM has not come forward and spoken to the media, but he lost his wife, son, and father within 3 days of each other. The nightmare of discovering the bodies and the monumental loss he has endured, he is probably experiencing profound grief, guilt, and sadness.

All JMO.

The more I read about this case, the more the whole thing stinks (i.e., lack of information, power, money, silence, previous deaths). Of course, the deaths of mother and son are tragic and horrific. Though I can't find any redeeming qualities in this family.

Lawyers also "file" request(s) for jury trial(s) in PI cases to move the settlement along...

Thanks for the good information about being scheduled for a jury trial does not necessarily mean that it will actually go to trial.
With that being said, I agree looking at present and past client(s) could be beneficial in this case. Many PI client(s) value their cases well above the actual "reality" settlement and PI attorney(s) normally take 1/3 fee and reimbursement of advanced costs.
In regards to a lawsuit based motive, I think there are two general possibilities:

- Defendant based with the possible scenario of:

Victim as an individual attorney or on behalf of the larger firm, targets somebody with out insurance or seeks damages beyond what is offered by the insurance company. A "full court press" is then made to actually collect the damages. This could result in seizure of property, bank accounts etc.

- Plaintiff Based with the possible scenario of:

Plaintiff initiates a lawsuit with the expectation (s0metimes reinforced by deceptive advertising by Sue 'em attorneys) that millions are on the way. They then get angry when the, as you stated, "reality settlement" is far lower and say..... the Sue 'em firm gets very creative about inflating 'advanced costs' to further increase their share of the settlement at the expense of the actual plaintiff.

Last edited:

Thanks for the video. I did not hear Trey Goudy assert that the victims were bound. What I did hear are his quotes that I copied down below. Hopefully I got them verbatim.

"there is some reporting that the victims were bound…" at 1:26

"If they were bound you want to look for touch DNA and fingerprints…" at 4:21

Trey Gowdy, former FBI special agent examine SC murder mystery

Last edited:
"Hog Bosses" can be intimidating. I think I'd keep my mouth shut until ALL investigation is completed for fear of being sued.

I wonder if AM has police protection or bodyguards until the perp(s) are arrested.
He certainly should as it sounds like he was just minutes away from becoming a dead body himself.

Did he mean Boss Hogg as in Duke of Hazard?? Boss Hogg - Wikipedia
"He was the greedy, unethical commissioner of Hazzard County. A stereotypical villainous glutton..."

Did he mean Boss Hogg as in Duke of Hazard?? Boss Hogg - Wikipedia
"He was the greedy, unethical commissioner of Hazzard County. A stereotypical villainous glutton..."
Who knows?! However, I don't think the person saying that meant that the Ms were greedy and villainous.

But I think I was referring to other "Boss Hogs" that I personally know who scare me. The ones who threaten a law suit at every instance they don't agree with. Bully might be a better term.

Anyway, I don't think many people (doctors, police) like to tangle with smart lawyers whether they are greedy or not.

I keep going back to a few things that may or may not amount to anything:

1. The blue or dark colored sedan parked near the kennels was in all of the first released photos and it was the only car during the first day(s). It was sometimes described as an “unknown or unaccounted” auto. I thought that’s a good place to start. Then in yesterday’s redacted statement it was said that “two automobiles were towed”. I want to know if that first unknown auto is one of them and it seems you could easily look up the registration and see who links to that individual.

2. It bothers me that Maggie ended up a full football field’s length from her lovely home and murdered at 9-9:30 pm. Add to the mix, perhaps bound and a very scary scenario emerges. We’re mother and son led by force out to the kennel area? And the unidentified auto would seem, at least plausibly, related.

If I knew how to post a photo, I would. Sorry guys, I need a lesson.

.....and if (big if) that car was identified, maybe that’s what led the “no danger to the public” stance. Of course there should’ve been an arrest, so I’m stumped.

1. The blue or dark colored sedan parked near the kennels was in all of the first released photos and it was the only car during the first day(s). It was sometimes described as an “unknown or unaccounted” auto. I thought that’s a good place to start. Then in yesterday’s redacted statement it was said that “two automobiles were towed”. I want to know if that first unknown auto is one of them and it seems you could easily look up the registration and see who links to that individual.

2. It bothers me that Maggie ended up a full football field’s length from her lovely home and murdered at 9-9:30 pm. Add to the mix, perhaps bound and a very scary scenario emerges. We’re mother and son led by force out to the kennel area? And the unidentified auto would seem, at least plausibly, related.

.....and if (big if) that car was identified, maybe that’s what led the “no danger to the public” stance. Of course there should’ve been an arrest, so I’m stumped.

In reading the released documents, I don't see where two vehicles were towed. There are two 'vehicle cards' (which likely meant there were 2 vehicles present when LE arrived), but in the Case report by Sgt. Varnadoe, he indicated that he attended the scene on the night of June 7 and went with the tow service where "it" was impounded...implying only one vehicle was towed. That would also account for the blue sedan seen in the photos over the next day or so, remaining at the scene.

Thanks for the video. I did not hear Trey Goudy assert that the victims were bound. What I did hear are his quotes that I copied down below. Hopefully I got them verbatim.

"there is some reporting that the victims were bound…" at 1:26

"If they were bound you want to look for touch DNA and fingerprints…" at 4:21

Trey Gowdy, former FBI special agent examine SC murder mystery

In the redacted report Lt. Nettles report says he responded to report of two gunshot victims. The report goes on to say: "Two individuals were observed laying on the ground <redacted>.

The redacted space has room for several words, so some people may have speculated that it said "shot and bound". It could also have said "bound with cord" or simply "shot multiple times". It's all just speculation for now. JMO.

To me, the dark vehicle looks like an unmarked vehicle some LE use.

In reading the released documents, I don't see where two vehicles were towed. There are two 'vehicle cards' (which likely meant there were 2 vehicles present when LE arrived), but in the Case report by Sgt. Varnadoe, he indicated that he attended the scene on the night of June 7 and went with the tow service where "it" was impounded...implying only one vehicle was towed. That would also account for the blue sedan seen in the photos over the next day or so, remaining at the scene.

Wouldn’t one car on the scene have belonged to AM?

I could be wrong, but if the towed car was really pertinent to the crime, wouldn’t it be easy to solve? How could anyone explain their car being there…it’s not like it’s a Walmart parking lot?

Wouldn’t one car on the scene have belonged to AM?

I could be wrong, but if the towed car was really pertinent to the crime, wouldn’t it be easy to solve? How could anyone explain their car being there…it’s not like it’s a Walmart parking lot?

The towed car could have belonged to someone in the Murdaugh family. The vehicle could have been damaged in the attack in some way and they took it in for evidence.

The part in the police report about whether there was forced entry was redacted. It's possible someone shot someone in the car and pulled them out to finish the job. (This is pure wild speculation on my part simply to give an example.)

In this picture…is the red roofed building the main house and the long skinny structure to the left, the dog kennels, and the structure near the top a covered parking area? Or am I totally confused?

Attachments

• D69887BB-8378-44FF-9B10-41A9E85A2CA8.jpeg
    D69887BB-8378-44FF-9B10-41A9E85A2CA8.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics