SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Alec had a spigot of money..." -- Witness Mark Tinsley

A "spigot of money"? What a great word picture; with the millions that have "disappeared" (MOO), it does sound like the "spigot" was absolutely gushing out $$$$$.
---

Edited to change "Alex" to "Alec".

There are two interviews with LE that were video. The investigators did not CLAIM he said he was not at the kennels. AM TOLD the investigators he was not at the kennels.
AM‘s friend and law partner testified under oath that AM told him he never went to the kennels that night.
The question I was responding to was how the defense would account for Alex’s proximity to the kennels prior to the murders.

Your second sentence here is exactly what I said in my second sentence. Which is the important distinction.

When you are tied to a story, you have to attack witness credibility to counter. Or you say that you recalled incorrectly due to stress or dismay from the trauma of the situation. Which is why I answered the way I did; that’s what I think the defense will attempt to show.

I’m not cheerleading for Murdaugh here. He is clearly a , fraud, thief, con man. But I’m not blind to the problems the prosecution needs to cover to secure a conviction.

The question I was responding to was how the defense would account for Alex’s proximity to the kennels prior to the murders.

Your second sentence here is exactly what I said in my second sentence. Which is the important distinction.

When you are tied to a story, you have to attack witness credibility to counter. Or you say that you recalled incorrectly due to stress or dismay from the trauma of the situation. Which is why I answered the way I did; that’s what I think the defense will attempt to show.

I’m not cheerleading for Murdaugh here. He is clearly a , fraud, thief, con man. But I’m not blind to the problems the prosecution needs to cover to secure a conviction.

I agree with both posts actually. I don’t think he will get around not recalling the last time seeing his loved ones alive with that play but I do think they will try.

Mercifully, Jan Malinowski's time on the witness stand is up. Now it's Mark Tinsley's turn. He's the state's 43rd witness.

Mark Tinsley went to Clemson. Tough to hear. Will take a moment to process that.

Given the late hour, I'm not sure we will get to the defense's cross-examination of Tinsley today.

Tinsley testifies about watching a 2005 case in which Murdaugh handled the closing argument and cried as he gave it. Barber objects, relevance. Waters says it speaks to Murdaugh’s conduct as a lawyer. Newman sustains the objection. This is a murder trial, btw.

The state has called four witnesses today, all of them financial witnesses, all of whom we've heard from before (with the jury excused). The clear focus is a far cry from yesterday when prosecutors covered a dizzying variety of material and subjects.

Tinsley testifies that in the days after the fatal 2019 boat crash, Renee Beach tried to go to the scene at Archer’s Creek. Law enforcement stopped her, saying it was a crime scene. Then the Murdaugh family showed up, and law enforcement waved them through.

“That day, I got involved," Tinsley said. He said the Beach family was concerned about a cover-up. Paul was eventually criminally charged with drunkenly driving the boat when it crashed. The Beaches filed a wrongful death lawsuit.

Defense attorney Phillip Barber objects to the cover-up line. Waters doesn't defend it. Judge Newman sustains the objection.

Tinsley testifies Murdaugh had little insurance coverage for the Beaches to collect in a settlement. Progressive offered up their max payout, $500,000.

Tinsley: Murdaugh's hunting insurance policy would not cover him in this boat crash case. And Murdaugh had already burned up his $4.3 million in coverage from two carriers - Lloyds of London and Nautilus - during the Satterfield swindle.

Per @thadmoore, someone has donated $10 to Shelley Smith under the name "Phillip Barber" That's pretty funny.

The is up to nearly $11,000. It pays to testify against Alex Murdaugh!

Judge Newman calls it a day with Waters questioning Tinsley. He will remain on the stand when we resume tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. Story coming soon.

Harpootlian says the state has a number of pricey out-of-state expert witnesses. He wants a better idea from prosecutors when they plan to rest their case so he can make travel/lodging plans for them. Waters says he thinks they will rest midway through next week at the latest.

Now we're done for real.

Edited: To include additional tweets

Last edited:
Waters says he will probably be finished mid-week next week.

DH was asking as his experts are sitting around (costly) and when to get them back.

DH said his case will take about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member