SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any updates on the reports of a juror with a blanket over her head and tissue in her ears?
No, but I was thinking today about whether there will be additional fallouts tomorrow morning, from illness or other reasons. I also hope no jurors have been inappropriately “contacted” by nefarious parties. IMO.

Does anyone recall how many alternates remain?

Fair weather 'friends'. In emergencies, you find out who your real friends are, and it goes both ways.

Yes. I know someone who had tons of "friends", they all belong to the same country club, play bridge together, their husbands play golf, they are all in Junior League, arranging parties for fundraising, so they can show off expensive clothes.

Her husband divorced her, traded her for a new trophy wife. None of her "friends" even returned her calls. She no longer belonged to the expensive country club. It was pretty tragic. I can see that happening to MM after the boating accident.

I haven’t seen any Federal charges either, but you would think that the IRS and US Attorney General would be filing some on tax evasion.
JMO

December 16, 2022 State of South Carolina indicted him for State tax evasion for several years.

[…]
Nine counts of willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax were added to Murdaugh’s charges Friday. Prosecutors said he dodged nearly $487,000 in state income taxes. He faces up to five years in prison on each count if convicted.

Most of the other charges against Murdaugh deal with either stealing $8.8 million in lawsuit settlement money from badly injured clients, or families of people killed in wrecks or on the job, as well as a drug ring and money laundering scheme,according to the indictments handed down in nearly two dozen waves since September 2021.

Friday’s indictments show Murdaugh reported nearly $14 million in gross adjusted income from the firm on tax returns over the course of nine years, while prosecutors said he also stole nearly $7 million meant for the firm’s bank accounts and failed to pay taxes on the ill-gotten gains.
[…]
What in the world is this referring to?...BBM

"...as well as a drug ring and money laundering scheme,according to the indictments handed down in nearly two dozen waves since September 2021."

Regarding Alex's emphatic defense of Russell Laffitte recently in court (I'm paraphrasing but he basically said "Russell Laffitte had NOTHING to do with that, he knew nothing about what I was doing, this was all on me") (I'm sorry I cannot remember exactly when), I keep wondering "what if he's not trying to protect Russell, (I mean, come on, Alex is not that decent), what if he is just trying to avoid a RICO charge, which would be federal. He doesn't want to admit to actually conspiring with Russell (and who knows who else) to carry out these financial crimes, so he says "Russell knew nothing, I lied to him too". He does NOT want his criminal network exposed, because that opens him up to federal racketeering/organized crime charges, and the scared sh*tless members of his network sure as hell don't want that kind of an investigation happening. Thats probably why he says CES is just his pill guy and just his check casher. Someone else mentioned how he doesn't want drug trafficing charges so he says he took ALL the drugs, (not that he's been selling them/using them as cash value to barter).

I think the financial crimes investigations could implicate quite a few good ole boys, not to mention Alex's inner circle. How many of those "close" to him feel like they have no choice but to do everything they can to save his *advertiser censored**, legal or illegal, because their very freedom, livelihood, family and reputation depends on it? I am very worried about a jurur already in their pocket from the beginning.
^^bbm

I had the same reaction to AM's testimony and his seeming to be carrying a torch for Russell Laffitte and concluded AM must fear that RL might be considering cooperating with the federal prosecutor-- especially after RL was convicted on all charges in mid-November.

RL's not been sentenced yet and as of today, his sentencing date is not on the docket.

Also, there was some strange activity between the jurors during deliberations and alternates replaced jurors which the defense argues should have resulted in a hung jury, and deliberations halted.

See the link below for more details surrounding RL's conviction posted in the previous thread.

Last edited:
It drives me bonkers that AM repeats the question he was asked before he answers it. I only noticed him doing it excessively when he was being cross-examined. To me, that is an indication of him stalling, trying to formulate the "correct" answer (or remember which lie he told), and establish control of the situation (in his mind). Between that tactic and him talking in circles full of needless information (IMO to clutter the information field and confuse the jury), I had to walk away several times. The aura of narcissism and gaslighting that exudes from him is nauseating. IMO MOO
Unless you're in a loud or chaotic environment where your words may have been muffled, always be leary of the answer someone gives you when they repeat your direct question before answering it. My LE Daddy told me that long ago.

Last edited:
AM's life was already at its worst, addicted and money trouble. Both of these issues could have put him in Federal prison for decades. What does he, the narcissist, gain from killing them? How does he benefit? He didn't hate his wife or his boys.

Anyone doing all the shady deals he was doing, means he is surrounded with shady people and angry shady people and angry people. No one can convince me that AM and Uncle Eddie were good friends. Where were those drugs coming from?

Forgive me, for I struggle to be brief.

The central theme of AM's life is greed. He appears to be fine with draining people who have so little in the way of resources socially, physically, or financially if it benefits him in any small way.

Relationships are the currency of the poor. If your truck breaks down, you don't call a tow truck, you call a friend or neighbor to help you. If there is a tragedy, people rally around you and bring you food, or donate $ to help you out. Affluent people pay for all of the services that are typically provided by the friends and family of the poor. People living in poverty protect their relationships fiercely, and will give up many of their limited worldly items and $ to help a friend out.

AM can take advantage of the people around him because they are playing with two different sets of values and rules, and he seems to straddle the worlds of the advantaged and the disadvantaged. The poor people around him are operating under the assumption that you help a fella out whenever you can. He is operating under the principle that you always take the biggest slice of the cake that you can secure. It is a recipe for imbalance and predation.

AM loves to sidle up to someone with the 'ol "Hey Bo, can you do me a favor?" You can hear him working on Buster in this way in the jail calls. AM uses the kindness of others to get them to do what he wants, and he is not encumbered by the principles of fairness. He makes unreasonable requests, but he does it the folksy tone of the poor, and people feel obligated to help him out. He has really mastered how to get people to feel sorry for him in circumstances where he has no business requesting anything, and as I have said before, this is how he operates as a predator. His lies are almost always about garnering sympathy, and he knows how to tap the sympathy vein for $ and pity.

Anyone entering into a relationship with AM needs to ask themself, where am I being punctured, and what is he draining from me?

Relationships are his weapon. Does that make sense?

AM's life was already at its worst, addicted and money trouble. Both of these issues could have put him in Federal prison for decades. What does he, the narcissist, gain from killing them? How does he benefit? He didn't hate his wife or his boys.

Anyone doing all the shady deals he was doing, means he is surrounded with shady people and angry shady people and angry people. No one can convince me that AM and Uncle Eddie were good friends. Where were those drugs coming from?
I am not sure that he did not hate his wife and son hated that Paul was the reason he was going to be exposed, hated that Maggie was putting pressure on him about the pills and money. I think AM definitely fits the saying don’t judge a book by its cover. On the outside he appears caring, why he was able to steal from so many for over a decade. I put zero stock, have zero confidence in how AM appears to be. Unfortunately, there’s a way too long of a list of family annihilators who appeared loving family men, John List, Chris Watts, Christian Lango to name a few. MOO

I’m recalling one of the only things that was reported immediately was that there was no threat to the public.

I’m not sure how they could say that immediately after but I was just thinking about all the guns that were laying around throughout the property & cars that we now know of.
^^rsbm

Under cross-examination of two State witnesses, seemed to me CCSO and SLED pointed fingers at each other on who made and/or authorized the statement there was no danger to the public, and the prosecutor seemed not to want to touch it.

While CCSO witnesses both opined it had to be by SLED, DH wanted it on the record that the first network announcement cited a CCSO spokesperson as the source. :rolleyes:

Clear as mud why this announcement was made other than the belief the victims appeared to be targeted. IMO, given the politics here, I think the statement was first authorized by SLED.

From the LIVE TRIAL BLOG:
5:22 P.M. — SLED STATEMENT COMES UNDER SCRUTINY

In cross examination, Murdaugh defense attorney Dick Harpootlian questions Chapman about a statement released by the S.C. Law Enforcement Division the day after the murders.

SLED, on June 8, 2021, released a statement saying that there was no danger to the public. Chapman testifies the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office, his agency, never released the statement and it would have had to come from SLED.

08:55

Let the record reflect the first time WCIV-TV was told "no danger to the public" was at 9:43 a.m. on June 8 by a spokesperson for the Colleton County Sheriff's Office.

08:53

Rutland again says she doesn't believe statement about "no danger to the public" in the immediate aftermath of the shooting came from the Colleton County Sheriff's Office. Capt. Jason Chapman said the same thing Thursday.

Forgive me, for I struggle to be brief.

The central theme of AM's life is greed. He appears to be fine with draining people who have so little in the way of resources socially, physically, or financially if it benefits him in any small way.

Relationships are the currency of the poor. If your truck breaks down, you don't call a tow truck, you call a friend or neighbor to help you. If there is a tragedy, people rally around you and bring you food, or donate $ to help you out. Affluent people pay for all of the services that are typically provided by the friends and family of the poor. People living in poverty protect their relationships fiercely, and will give up many of their limited worldly items and $ to help a friend out.

AM can take advantage of the people around him because they are playing with two different sets of values and rules, and he seems to straddle the worlds of the advantaged and the disadvantaged. The poor people around him are operating under the assumption that you help a fella out whenever you can. He is operating under the principle that you always take the biggest slice of the cake that you can secure. It is a recipe for imbalance and predation.

AM loves to sidle up to someone with the 'ol "Hey Bo, can you do me a favor?" You can hear him working on Buster in this way in the jail calls. AM uses the kindness of others to get them to do what he wants, and he is not encumbered by the principles of fairness. He makes unreasonable requests, but he does it the folksy tone of the poor, and people feel obligated to help him out. He has really mastered how to get people to feel sorry for him in circumstances where he has no business requesting anything, and as I have said before, this is how he operates as a predator. His lies are almost always about garnering sympathy, and he knows how to tap the sympathy vein for $ and pity.

Anyone entering into a relationship with AM needs to ask themself, where am I being punctured, and what is he draining from me?

Relationships are his weapon. Does that make sense?

Yes it makes sense and it's a great post. I never thought about the currency of relationships and I think you are spot on.

I’m watching his first interview by LE and he tells a crazy story about a worker of his named CB Rowe. I’ve missed information about Mr. Rowe. But I’ve seen that name. Who is he?
He's a grounds caretaker for Moselle. He's the one they said sprayed the area of sunflowers and they died and had to be replanted.

It drives me bonkers that AM repeats the question he was asked before he answers it. I only noticed him doing it excessively when he was being cross-examined. To me, that is an indication of him stalling, trying to formulate the "correct" answer (or remember which lie he told), and establish control of the situation (in his mind). Between that tactic and him talking in circles full of needless information (IMO to clutter the information field and confuse the jury), I had to walk away several times. The aura of narcissism and gaslighting that exudes from him is nauseating. IMO MOO

A control element it seems. And hoping that it will startle or stumble the examiner. And also in attempt that maybe the question being asked will change. Trying to control the narrative, stall, and to attempt to ‘throw’ off the questioner. MO.

Unless your in a loud or chaotic environment where you words may have been muffled, always be leary of the answer someone gives you when they repeat your direct question before answering it. My LE Daddy told me that long ago.

Very much agree with all this.

I, too, find this immensely irritating.

Superficially, because it elongates what are already long, drawn-out hours and hours of trial.

But substantially, because of everything all of you smart people have already stated.

IMO Alex is attempting to be the lawyer, as he’s accustomed to being, and not the defendant.

Restating the question gives him time to think, time to phrase it his own way, time to obfuscate, time to slap on the facial expression of his choice, time to make his voice crack, time to gear himself up to be
offended by the very question he is being asked.

A trial lawyer attempting a redirect.

There are only 12 people in that court whose opinions matter, and we hope they too can see how transparent this man is.

I do love the judge and I’m thrilled with his rulings so far.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member