VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The state must be pretty confident if the AG decided to question the last witness and sat very prominently at the prosecution table. I'm betting dollars to donuts that if he thought that they were going to lose, he would not have wanted to associate himself with the trial.

Not sure what fact you think is missing other than a confession. Son and wife killed. He was there. He lied. Missing clothes. Lured victims. Angry man. Drug affected personality out of control. Again, HE WAS THERE.

he was there because he lives there..I mean what if they were in the house? and Paul was in another room..the basement..working on his guns and 2 people come in and shoot the people In the living room? ok he was there..he left back up to the house.. like normal stuff they do every day...

They do have proof of the 300blackout being the murder weapon. They matched fired casing from where Paul's good friend testified they sighted in that gun some months prior. I'd have to look up exactly when he said that was, but earlier in 2021. He said this gun was the replacement to the one Paul had stolen. The person Alex bought the gun off of confirmed he bought a replacement for the one stolen. So the casing from the gun that killed Maggie were 100% fired from the same gun that was sighted in exactly where Paul's friend said they did that. His original gun was missing yes, but the murder weapon was the replacement that someone outside the family had seen recently.
Interesting. I do recall I believe hearing that, and if that be the case, then perhaps the defendant had asked his son (prior to being slain) be sure to have that gun around and with them that evening….. for example while surveying those trees or the property? So removing an element of surprise from the victim to that gun being present.

Or perhaps I’ve got this all jumbled….. So much to follow. iMO.

CW also brought up the dogs being kenneled and the hose being rolled up.
I can't believe I forgot about this! As one of the previous commenters mentioned regarding the metaphorical circumstantial evidence "pencils" (easy to break one, very difficult to break a bunch), there are so many damn pencils!!!!

he was there because he lives there..I mean what if they were in the house? and Paul was in another room..the basement..working on his guns and 2 people come in and shoot the people In the living room? ok he was there..he left back up to the house.. like normal stuff they do every day...
Why did he lie then? When it would help find out who brutally murdered his wife and PauPau?

And why wasn’t he scared when he came home and found them?

I'm not sure Waters hit it out of the park with that closing. Seemed kind of weak to me... IMO

I agree. I think he should have started with the ideas he presented last, minimized the financial thing and focused on the day/night of the killings; summarizing the lies, the failed alibis (plural) and the lies on the witness stand.

He spent most of his time on motive. Oh well. I figure most of the jurors have independently made up their minds. I do wonder where it will go if the first poll is 11-1 in favor of Guilty, with a jury facing a potential weekend away from home, in a tense situation in the jury room. Ergh.

IMO.

but it was no longer 'normal stuff'...maggie was not living there anymore....she was living at edisto....maggie was asked to be there by AM....her sister testified to that conversation she had with her, she did not want to go, but her sister encouraged her to be supportive of his ailing father......AM's father and son Paul were the bait. the entire timeframe and of his movements while there were adjusted once the video/audio was discovered.

If they can prove that someone staged the bike, the flower pot and the stuffed chicken toy in Bubba's kennel, I think there's going to be big trouble (criminal charges) coming.
Yes the bike parked there like some kind of symbolic memory for MM. It didn't sit well with me though, more darkish then a loving memory.

Chanley Painter from CourtTV said the closing was long but that the jurors (7 women 5 men 2 male alternates) were attentive throughout Creighton's entire close. Said there was nodding when he made points and that jurors winced towards the end at the crime scene photos of Maggie and Paul.

Doesn't get much better than that.

What matter do they need to discuss in chambers? Anyone have a clue?

At this stage of trial, perhaps more on actual jury instructions. The prosecution highlighted the instructions it likes, the defense will do the same. But it is the judge who will rule on which further instructions might be given. Both sides get to weigh in, but the judge gets to decide. There are, for example, different ways to word an instruction regarding what constitutes "intent."

It's my understanding that in a first degree murder case, an instruction about what constitutes legal definition of intent *must* be given, but often the two sides quibble on which version to use. For example, in some instructions about intent, the defense may propose that a person who is disabled by drugs or alcohol is not capable of forming intent. If the drug use was voluntary, as in this case, there is no legal requirement to put that clause in the instruction - but the defense will surely request it and it's up to the judge.

Tomorrow should be interesting, as I think we'll get to jury instructions.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member