DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this about the truth? lol ;)

Attachments

• 11952018_1047745565295319_462640153360389627_n.jpg
    11952018_1047745565295319_462640153360389627_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 58
Has anyone done the Ancestry.com DNA test? My brother did and shared what countries our DNA came from and I found it fascinating. I had no idea I was 38% Irish as I have identified more from coming from Western Europe, which was 34%. The remainder was Scandanavia and Iberian Peninsula.

I bought two tests for my DH and DS to take. I was curious about what our combined Ancestry DNA would look like in our children. My DH's were the most surprising. His mom was 100% German and his dad had a lot of Welsh in his background, so I figured his would be mainly those and fairly simple. To my surprise, his ancestry makeup was a whole lot more complex.

His ancestry not only showed Great Britain and Western European, but Iberian Peninsula, Finland/Russia, the Caucausus and Italy/Greece. This was an interesting and fun to learn. My son did not show all that my husband's did as the percentages were low, but still, how cool to see how our ancestors were busy moving around.

Dolphins, manatees, loggerhead turtles, alligators, pelicans --- there are so many interesting creatures you'll only find (together) in Southern Florida. I do hope you'll be able to take the time to see them in their natural habitats.

ETA:

I have (in my living room :facepalm:) an "antique" stuffed giant turtle. I'm not a fan of taxidermy whatsoever, but it was just one of those things:

My BF was helping an elderly woman divest herself of her many household belongings as she was being transferred to an Assisted Living facility. She didn't know what to do with this giant turtle (it's appx 5'x4').

He chatted with her about its history and found out that it had been in her family for over 100 years. Since turtles like that can live to be 100, well, you can do the math.

He brought it home to me and I was THRILLED!!!! I mean, just imagining the amazing life this giant turtle had lived really left me awestruck, and that I was now his custodian -- well, years later, I'm still honored to have him in my home...

I remember having my kids call me at work one afternoon telling me that someone had broken into our house. So many things go through your head in that situation. My mind rapidly ran through all the things the thieves could have taken...

What came out of my mouth!?: "Is the turtle still there!?" LOL

I know exactly what you mean. When I moved many years ago I had a moving truck for most stuff but wanted to bring my important stuff with me in my car. So my mind goes through what is the most critical items I would want with me so they never get stolen.

I was amazed at what little I really cared about. The main thing I took with me was my guns and what little gold jewelry we had. LOL

The guns to me were my most precious items because they last a lifetime and I have a fairly extensive collection. Worth quite a bit of money. LOL

I know exactly what you mean. When I moved many years ago I had a moving truck for most stuff but wanted to bring my important stuff with me in my car. So my mind goes through what is the most critical items I would want with me so they never get stolen.

I was amazed at what little I really cared about. The main thing I took with me was my guns and what little gold jewelry we had. LOL

The guns to me were my most precious items because they last a lifetime and I have a fairly extensive collection. Worth quite a bit of money. LOL

Hatfield, I find your gun collection fascinating. Please forgive my ignorance as I don't know much about guns. Why does one collect guns? Is it similar to collecting art? Do you display them or lock them up or use them? What in particular makes one want to collect them? How long have you been collecting? Thanks for responding.

good_morning_snow_robin.gif

Link: http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww190/FreshHope_photos/good morning/good_morning_snow_robin.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defending the indefensible

"Long before she became a headline name for her efforts to save Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev from the death penalty, lawyer Judy Clarke had another, equally notorious client: Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber. And her strategy in both cases was similar: Faced with overwhelming evidence that they were guilty of horrific crimes, she searched for details and insights into their lives that might lead jurors to see them as just human enough to spare them from death.

To do that with Kaczynski, though, she felt she had to understand his motivation for the string of terror bombings that left three people dead and more than a score injured, and narrowly missed bringing down an airliner. In late 1996, awaiting trial in Sacramento, Calif., Kaczynski took out a pencil and a yellow notepad and began a letter to Clarke:...

“We developed a unique relationship with him,” recalled Quin Denvir, a former federal public defender who was Clarke’s co-counsel on the case. “We spent hours with him, trying to draw him out, especially Judy.”

What Kaczynski did not know — and what would ultimately sour the relationship — was that his attorneys were preparing to mount an insanity defense. With such overwhelming evidence of guilt, it was the only thing they believed might save him from the death penalty. Though court records show that the defense had been laying the groundwork for months, the bomber apparently did not realize what was happening until late 1997 — just weeks before his trial was to begin. While he was angry with his entire defense team, Kaczynski focused most of his wrath on Clarke..."

http://news.yahoo.com/defending-the-indefensible-220821597.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cudahy woman enters not guilty plea in baby's homicide

"...Carrie Heller, 30, waived her preliminary hearing and will move on to a trial. Heller is being held in jail on a $50,000 bond. She is due back in court Feb. 8 for a hearing. She could face up to 60 years in prison, if convicted.

The mother of three was charged in mid-January with Finley Olson’s homicide.

According to a criminal complaint, Finley had suffered head injuries on the same day she was babysat by Heller.

The complaint said Heller gave at least three different explanations of what happened prior to the child’s death. She told investigators that the baby fell from a couch and later that she was accidentally hit in the head with a high-chair tray..."

http://www.wisn.com/news/cudahy-woman-pleas-not-guilty-in-babys-homicide/37688398
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American nanny Lauren Mann, 25, found dead in Vienna in apparent homicide; half-naked body discovered next to 'considerable amount of blood'

"...The 25-year-old was identified by the State Department as Lauren Mann, and the Vienna police said they are treating the case as a homicide...

The young woman was from Colorado and was working in Austria as an au pair, officials said.

When she didn’t show up as scheduled at her employer’s home, the concerned family called the police.

Police and firefighters who forced open her door Tuesday evening found the body on a mattress in the bedroom.

She had a sweater across her face and her arms were stretched along her body, according to local newspapers..."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/american-nanny-25-found-dead-vienna-article-1.2511035

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Mann-25-American-nanny-found-dead-25-Jan-2016

CZxEGFYWAAEZnj8.png

Link: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZxEGFYWAAEZnj8.png
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police seek daughter-in-law in 73-year-old's bludgeoning death

"EAST WINDSOR – Safia Diwan, who was found dead inside an East Windsor house Tuesday night, died of blunt force trauma and authorities are looking for her daughter-in-law in connection with the homicide, authorities said Thursday.

The Mercer County Prosecutor's Office for the first time on Thursday disclosed the relationship between Safia Diwan, 73, and Tasneem Diwan, who is being sought by police.
Prosecutors also said an autopsy conducted Wednesday confirmed that Safia died from wounds inflicted from a blunt force trauma to the head..."

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2016/01/police_seek_daughter-in-law_in_73-year-olds_bludge.html

eastwindsor-wantedjpg-db71b4940f571a95.jpg

(Authorities are looking for Tasneem Diwan, 45, also of Mozart Court, in connection with the bludgeoning death of a 73-year-old woman.Courtesy Mercer County Prosecutor's Office)

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-January-2016-Woman-Missing-After-Bludgeoning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police: 3 people found dead on state highway in Arizona

"COOLIDGE, Ariz. — Authorities said two men and a woman have been found fatally shot on a highway west of Coolidge.

Coolidge police said the incident occurred Wednesday afternoon in a remote area on State Route 87 at Signal Peak Road, and they aren’t looking for any suspects.

They said all three people died at the scene and were related. The names are being withheld until relatives can be notified.

A police spokeswoman said the shootings don’t appear to be either drug-related or a property crime, and a motive isn’t immediately known..."

http://ktar.com/story/875310/police-3-people-found-dead-on-state-highway-in-arizona/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​Mississippi could debate firing squad as execution method

"JACKSON, Miss. - Mississippi's attorney general said Wednesday that he will ask lawmakers to approve the firing squad, electrocution or nitrogen gas as alternate methods of execution in case the state is prevented from giving lethal injections.

States are struggling to obtain execution drugs since European pharmaceutical companies began blocking the use of their products for lethal injections. Executions are on hold in Mississippi because the state's supply of lethal-injection drugs expired. In October, Ohio delayed executions for a year while it searches for the drugs.

"It just provides a fallback position in case there is some declaration of unconstitutionality or some of the anti-death-penalty groups are able to shut down the flow of chemicals that are required to carry out executions," Democrat Jim Hood said of the alternatives..."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mississippi-could-debate-firing-squad-as-execution-method/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Survive Solitary Confinement
An ex-convict on how to set your mind free.

"...Two years ago, Perez was released on parole after serving 13 years at Rikers Island penitentiary and prisons in upstate New York, three of which he spent in solitary confinement.1 Sitting across from Perez, you wonder how he feels in this space, a tiny, harshly lit conference room at the Urban Justice Center on Wall Street in Manhattan. Whether it brings back traumatic memories, or feels like home, or both.

While there is no universally agreed-upon definition, modern solitary—also called supermax, isolated segregation, and “the box”—is commonly understood to involve confinement to a small cell for 22 to 24 hours a day. Prisoners are not allowed to participate in leisure activities, have hobbies, or speak to others. They are often handcuffed and shackled when they leave their cells—if they ever leave. Perez says he eventually stopped even wanting to..."

http://nautil.us/issue/32/space/how-to-survive-solitary-confinement?ncid=newsltushpmg00000003
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner dies at 74

"Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday of multiple organ failure. Mr. Kantner, a founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack this week.

His death was confirmed by longtime publicist and friend, Cynthia Bowman, who said he died of multiple organ failure and septic shock.

Mr. Kantner suffered from a string of health problems in recent years, including a heart attack in March 2015..."

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Jefferson-Airplane-s-Paul-Kantner-dies-at-74-6791483.php

319full-paul-kantner.jpg

Link: http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/176371/319full-paul-kantner.jpg

paul2.jpeg

Link: http://www.summeroflove.org/images/harper/paul2.jpeg

[video=youtube;SboRijhWFDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SboRijhWFDU[/video]

RIP :candle:

The Latest On Zika: World Leaders Weigh In
World leaders issued warnings about the rapidly spreading illness.

"As Zika virus, which is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, continues to dominate the headlines, world leaders and health organizations warned the public about the virus' spread and offered up resources to fight the disease, which is likely linked to a wave of birth defects in Brazil over the past few months.

With the high volume of news about the Zika virus -- check out our full coverage here -- it's tough to stay up-to-date on the most recent developments. Here's the latest information you should know:.."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zika-virus-outbreak-update_us_56aa83bbe4b0010e80e94e07?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet The 112-Year-Old Woman Who Has Smoked 30 Cigarettes A Day for 95 YEARS (with video)

"...Batuli Lamichhane took up the habit when she was 17 years old and hasn’t stopped since.

Born in March 1903, the Nepalese woman said smoking had helped her outlive everyone else in her village, including almost all of her own children...

Ms Lamichhane hasn’t been smoking commercially made cigarettes - she smokes handmade “beedis” - tobacco wrapped in tendu leaf...

“People of this modern age have too much stress,” she said.

“And those who do not work or are idle in their old age won’t live long. So you have to be active and stress free.

“You should always be happy, then you will live a long life.”.."

http://rossmcgposts.tumblr.com/post/138141808259/meet-the-112-year-old-woman-who-has-smoked-30
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In praise of artificial food

"Artificial food. That’s what humans eat. I say this to anyone who will listen. ‘Oh yes,’ comes the reply. ‘The more’s the pity. Cheap, nasty, imitation food-like substances. It’s high time to return to natural food.’ But, no, I mean artificial in its original sense of man-made, produced by humans, artfully created.

Our distant ancestors found little good in the food that nature provided. Greens had too few calories to sustain life, chewy meat came tightly wrapped in awkward-sized packages known as living animals, nuts were bitter or oily, roots tended to be poisonous, and grains were tiny and so hard that they passed undigested through the system. Acquiring and digesting food was a constant struggle.

So sometime in the distant past, at least 20,000 years ago and probably much more, members of our species decided they could improve on nature. They discovered how to process raw foods by using fire to cook them, or stones to chop and grind them, or coopting microorganisms to ferment them. They began creating niches for the more edible species, breeding sweeter fruits, less toxic roots, and bigger grains. In short, they created the art of cookery to transform the natural...."

https://aeon.co/opinions/artificial...ail&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-f72a7e8e04-68895113
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Town Gripped By Fear Over Lead-Tainted Tap Water

"Schools in Sebring, Ohio, have been closed for three straight days. The town says it was kept in the dark..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sebring-ohio-lead-water_us_56a849ffe4b0f71799286b45?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blessing and curse of the people who never forget

"A handful of people can recall almost every day of their lives in enormous detail – and after years of research, neuroscientists are finally beginning to understand how they do it.

For most of us, memory is a kind of scrapbook, a mess of blurred and faded snapshots of our lives. As much as we would like to cling on to our past, even the most poignant moments can be washed away with time.

Ask Nima Veiseh what he was doing for any day in the past 15 years, however, and he will give you the minutiae of the weather, what he was wearing, or even what side of the train he was sitting on his journey to work.

“My memory is like a library of VHS tapes, walk-throughs of every day of my life from waking to sleeping,” he explains...

‘Highly superior autobiographical memory’ (or HSAM for short), first came to light in the early 2000s, with a young woman named Jill Price. Emailing the neuroscientist and memory researcher Jim McGaugh one day, she claimed that she could recall every day of her life since the age of 12. .."

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/201...le-who-never-forget?ncid=newsltushpmg00000003
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am getting ready to go meet with the New Bolton Center Research people for lunch today about raising funds for the Microbiome Research Project. It should be very informative and I hope I can keep up with the details. The meeting had been postponed from Wednesday to today.

Barbaro was humanely put down on this date in 2007, so I am taking this as a sign for future success. Barbaro had developed laminitis, which is an extremely painful condition in all four hooves. This research also is going to explore the relationship of microbiomes and laminitis too. Oh, if this could just be the answer..

I

Grief is in two parts. The first is loss. The second is the remaking of life.
~Anne Roiphe

The Surprising Benefit of Going Through Hard Times

"...In the past 20 years, psychologists have begun studying post-traumatic growth, which has now been observed in more than 300 scientific studies.

The term post-traumatic growth was coined in the 1990s by psychologists Richard Tedeschi and Lawrence Calhoun to describe instances of individuals who experienced profound transformation as they coped with various types of trauma and challenging life circumstances. Up to 70 percent of trauma survivors report some positive psychological growth, research has found.

Growth after trauma can take a number of different forms, including a greater appreciation for life, the identification of new possibilities for one’s life, more satisfying interpersonal relationships, a richer spiritual life and a connection to something greater than oneself, and a sense of personal strength. A battle with cancer, for instance, can result in a renewed gratitude for one’s family, while a near-death experience could be a catalyst for connecting with a more spiritual side of life. Psychologists have found that experiences of trauma also commonly lead to increased empathy and altruism, and a motivation to act for the benefit of others..."

http://www.dailygood.org/story/1209...of-going-through-hard-times-carolyn-gregoire/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Relax: Uncomfortability Is The New Convenience

"To stop humanity from turning into useless, pleasure-seeking blobs, some designers are abandoning the quest to make everything easy, and introducing a little extra difficulty into our lives...

If we don't have the willpower to get off of the couch, we may soon have a couch designed to physically kick us off. Wearables, too, will start to offer more suggestions at the moment when they're most useful.

"A smartwatch could say, 'Now you're at the train station, I know you want to use the train, but why not walk?'" Laschke says. "While walking, the watch could also tell you to walk faster, and give you a beat to walk to. It's about presenting an alternative in a particular situation."..."

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3040839/...relax-uncomfortability-is-the-new-convenience
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6577.jpg

Patience is not simply the ability to wait -- it's how we behave while we're waiting.
~Joyce Meyer

Why Your Brain Hates Slowpokes
The high speed of society has jammed your internal clock

"Not long ago I diagnosed myself with the recently identified condition of sidewalk rage...

You too can measure yourself on the “Pedestrian Aggressiveness Syndrome Scale,” a tool developed by University of Hawaii psychologist Leon James. While walking in a crowd, do you find yourself “acting in a hostile manner (staring, presenting a mean face, moving closer or faster than expected)” and “enjoying thoughts of violence?”

Slowness rage is not confined to the sidewalk, of course. Slow drivers, slow Internet, slow grocery lines—they all drive us crazy. Even the opening of this article may be going on a little too long for you. So I’ll get to the point. Slow things drive us crazy because the fast pace of society has warped our sense of timing. Things that our great-great-grandparents would have found miraculously efficient now drive us around the bend. Patience is a virtue that’s been vanquished in the Twitter age..."

http://www.dailygood.org/more.php?n=6577
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Women Over 50 Shouldn't Wear: Part II

"I wrote a post a year ago about what women over 50 shouldn't wear.

The post was popular and seemed to touch a nerve with a lot of people.

Some of which were very upset over being told, once again, what they should and shouldn't wear if they are of "a certain age". To those people I say: Hahahaha you crazy kids. You should really read more than the headline before posting a comment.

In revisiting this theme, it became glaringly obvious that I left some things off the "what not to wear" list..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle-combs/what-women-over-50-shouldnt-wear_b_9068596.html?
---

The previous article: (has some of Zuri's words) :facepalm:

What Not to Wear After Age 50: The Final Say (some foul language)

"Google 'what not to wear after age 50' and you will have your pick of thousands of articles telling you what looks terrible on your old azz body.

I want to point out to the writer who wrote the 'no-no' article, you need to remember you are writing for over 50 women, not preschoolers. I don't think I've said 'no-no' since my youngest was a toddler.

We could spend hours studying the clothes we shouldn't wear and the slang we shouldn't use and the makeup techniques we need to retire.
Here's me, weighing in on this topic..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle-combs/what-not-to-wear-after-ag_b_6656902.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barbie Gets Groundbreaking Makeover (Now She's Curvy! Or Petite! Or Tall!) (with clip)

Mattel announces new body types for the doll that are more reflective of real women's bodies.

"Following a decades-long debate about Barbie's harmfully unrealistic body type, Mattel has finally made a change to the iconic doll.

Today, the toy company unveiled three new Barbie body types: petite, tall and curvy. They are all available on Barbie.com, along with the original doll. Each doll also comes in a variety of skin colors and hair styles...

"The company hopes that the new dolls, with their diverse body types, along with the new skin tones and hair textures introduced last year, will more closely reflect their young owners’ world," writes Dockterman..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ody-types-mattel_us_56aa18d0e4b0016489226bd4?

56aa260c1a00002d00ab17aa.jpeg

(The new class of Barbie dolls -- as photographed for Glamour Magazine.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want a petite plump Barbie with grey hair (chin hairs included) and I want it now!!! (says the SWBB) :floorlaugh:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hatfield, I find your gun collection fascinating. Please forgive my ignorance as I don't know much about guns. Why does one collect guns? Is it similar to collecting art? Do you display them or lock them up or use them? What in particular makes one want to collect them? How long have you been collecting? Thanks for responding.

This is actually a great question.

For me, it is very similar to my wife's extensive purse collection. LOL

We both have way more than we use and most just sit taking up space.
We both don't want to ever get rid of them.

She has purses taking up 1/2 a closet and some are brand new designer purses. I asked her why she doesn't use some of the good ones and she tells me they are too nice to use. LOL

Very similar to some of my nicer guns. I never shoot them because I don't want to put any wear and tear on them. LOL

I guess collecting guns is very similar to collecting any other type of thing like stamps or coins.

I am fascinated by the inner mechanical workings of guns and especially the older ones have some real neat features. I really don't have too many but I do have more than I need so its an official collection. LOL

I keep all of them in a huge gun safe that is bolted to the floor so they are very safe and nobody can get to them. Not even a thief unless they came with a blowtorch I guess. LOL

I only really use 2 of them. Well 3 I suppose.

I have 1 handgun for protection that is available near where I sleep and I have 1 other smaller handgun that I sometimes carry with my conceal carry permit when heading to a bad area of town.

The 3rd gun I really use is my hunting rifle for deer hunting to try to get some tasty fresh Venison for the freezer. The deer are usually safe as I haven't got one in the last few years. They always win. :)

We have no kids and my wife is trained good to not ever touch them so our house is very gun safe...especially with the safe having all but 1 of them.
I just have to remember if we ever have visitors to put my 1 handgun in the safe before they come. We haven't had a child visitor ever so the odds of that happening are pretty slim. :)

Hey all! :wave:

most quotes snipped by me!

GigiG said:
Niner:

Magic words: Gas Stove!!!

Your husband is a man after my own heart.

My daughter recently bought a house with an electric stove and she just can't figure it out! She keeps burning things. :/

For certain recipes, she'll still come to my house to cook on my gas stove...

I know I couldn't deal with an electric stove for even a day, so I'm okay with that... :)

My Mother - who was a GREAT cook - hated electric stoves... I believe we had an electric stove when we moved in here, but than the Huz talked the Landlord into buying a gas stove! He WON!!! :)

coffeejunkie said:
Niner ~ That $7,000 included the partial and the bridge. Thankfully, my hubby's group dental insurance picked up most of the tab. Now that he is retired we lost our dental and vision insurance through his company's work plan. We still have the medical. Don't know what I will do if I needed extensive dental work now! Payment plan, I guess.

I had great insurance when I was working, but than got laid off (2008) - one thing I don't understand - is Medicare - how come they don't have dental and vision insurance (FREE, of course!) - as soooooo many seniors need these??!!! :waitasec: You would think these would be included! :thinking:

coffeejunkie said:
Good Morning!! SMILE ~ Every SMILE makes you a day younger. —Chinese Proverb So, let's all SMILE...

anti-sadness-smiley.gif

Zuri said:
Has anyone done the Ancestry.com DNA test? My brother did and shared what countries our DNA came from and I found it fascinating. I had no idea I was 38% Irish as I have identified more from coming from Western Europe, which was 34%. The remainder was Scandanavia and Iberian Peninsula.

I bought two tests for my DH and DS to take. I was curious about what our combined Ancestry DNA would look like in our children. My DH's were the most surprising. His mom was 100% German and his dad had a lot of Welsh in his background, so I figured his would be mainly those and fairly simple. To my surprise, his ancestry makeup was a whole lot more complex.

His ancestry not only showed Great Britain and Western European, but Iberian Peninsula, Finland/Russia, the Caucausus and Italy/Greece. This was an interesting and fun to learn. My son did not show all that my husband's did as the percentages were low, but still, how cool to see how our ancestors were busy moving around.

I was thinking about doing that the other day! :D Can I ask you "how much" you paid for one test??? I'd like to do that - it would be very interesting and COOL, as you say! I'm probably a percentage of India, as Latvians are considered Indo-European! And my brother and sisters would probably be the same as me!

YESorNo said:
States are struggling to obtain execution drugs since European pharmaceutical companies began blocking the use of their products for lethal injections. Executions are on hold in Mississippi because the state's supply of lethal-injection drugs expired. In October, Ohio delayed executions for a year while it searches for the drugs.

So... where is Texas getting its drugs?? ?? Buy them where they are, I'd say!

YESorNO said:
The blessing and curse of the people who never forget

"A handful of people can recall almost every day of their lives in enormous detail – and after years of research, neuroscientists are finally beginning to understand how they do it.

For most of us, memory is a kind of scrapbook, a mess of blurred and faded snapshots of our lives. As much as we would like to cling on to our past, even the most poignant moments can be washed away with time.

Ask Nima Veiseh what he was doing for any day in the past 15 years, however, and he will give you the minutiae of the weather, what he was wearing, or even what side of the train he was sitting on his journey to work.

“My memory is like a library of VHS tapes, walk-throughs of every day of my life from waking to sleeping,” he explains...

‘Highly superior autobiographical memory’ (or HSAM for short), first came to light in the early 2000s, with a young woman named Jill Price. Emailing the neuroscientist and memory researcher Jim McGaugh one day, she claimed that she could recall every day of her life since the age of 12. .."

Sometimes I wish I can remember! :laughcry: I love the show "Unforgetable" - great show! With Poppy Montgomery, I believe her name is...

I'll have to go back to the article you posted - re what not to wear over 50 years old - I wear jeans EVERY day! :lol: and just a long sleeve shirt and a short sleeve over it! Called "Merona", I bought them at Target and they're great! All different colors to mix and match!

I saw on the news last night about the "new" Barbies. It also said that 92% of us had Barbie dolls in the '60s. I did - one of the "original" ones - sold it for $3000!! :happydance:

YESorNO said:
I want a petite plump Barbie with grey hair (chin hairs included) and I want it now!!! (says the SWBB)

:laughing: Good one! :D

Since the Huz got his cancer - he is always cold - he sets the termastat at 72 or 73 during the day and during night turns it to 70. But the 70 is WAY TOO HOT for me at night! :gaah: So he will try 69 at night now....

Oh - I wanted to you - anyone - how do you post a picture within your comments? You know, like YESorNO, where she posts a picture and continues to write her post? Is it the "Insert Image" like this: and ending in [ / I m g ] ?? YES?? That's I insert the emoticons from a website.

Posting and will see if there are any more posts - and than off to DeOrr's thread...

RAINING!!! :skip:

:seeya:

Good luck, Zuri, for your meeting! Looking forward to hearing more about what you could work out with the research team.

and Wagara - your Wishin' and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’... - Dusty Springfield - Loved that song!! :luv:

edited to add: I lost my "Thanks" button! :gaah:

Hey all! :wave:

My Mother - who was a GREAT cook - hated electric stoves... I believe we had an electric stove when we moved in here, but than the Huz talked the Landlord into buying a gas stove! He WON!!! :)

....snipped for focus above......

:seeya:

I cannot stand our electric stove. We are constantly boiling over things on it. We cannot keep the temperature consistent to cook things right.

We literally have to stay right near it all the time to be sure to watch things cooking.

The things that are most dangerous is when boiling things like shrimp that produce a sort of foam as it boils. Look away for just a second and there she goes LOL

You just cannot keep a consistent temperature because the burner is always going on and off.

The oven part of the electric oven is usually ok because it stays fairly consistent. Its just the stovetop which is really bad with electric.

I love gas stoves but haven't had one in a long time. The only danger with a gas stove is make sure the gas lines are always checked for leaks. You can check them by mixing in a bowl some water and lots of dishsoap liquid. Then drip some on the pipe near the pipe connections to see if you see bubbles forming. Or any other spot you think could be leaking.

Gas stoves scare me but they are the best for cooking. No doubt about it.

Barbie Gets Groundbreaking Makeover (Now She's Curvy! Or Petite! Or Tall!) (with clip)

Mattel announces new body types for the doll that are more reflective of real women's bodies.

"Following a decades-long debate about Barbie's harmfully unrealistic body type, Mattel has finally made a change to the iconic doll.

Today, the toy company unveiled three new Barbie body types: petite, tall and curvy. They are all available on Barbie.com, along with the original doll. Each doll also comes in a variety of skin colors and hair styles...

"The company hopes that the new dolls, with their diverse body types, along with the new skin tones and hair textures introduced last year, will more closely reflect their young owners’ world," writes Dockterman..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ody-types-mattel_us_56aa18d0e4b0016489226bd4?

56aa260c1a00002d00ab17aa.jpeg

(The new class of Barbie dolls -- as photographed for Glamour Magazine.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want a petite plump Barbie with grey hair (chin hairs included) and I want it now!!! (says the SWBB) :floorlaugh:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can relate. LOL

I still have my "GI-Joe with life-like hair". :)

I unfortunately did not save my really old original ones though. They wouldn't be worth anything anyway because they were in many "army battles". LOL

I remember wearing holes in his plastic boots playing with him so much. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amber42