SIDEBAR #7- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely believe that the jury should never be sequestered.
I believe the jury should never be admonished to avoid tv, social media etc.
I believe the jury has the right to learn whatever they would like about the case they are being charged to judge.
They can use their own judgment to decide what is pertinent to the case what is not.
In this way, when they make their final decision, there will be no regrets or sayings "but I never knew that" or "that was never brought up in the trial".
Enough of the defendants rights!
In my opinion the defendant is allowed too much and the victim is murdered again and again.

I disagree. Not everyone on trial is guilty. Someone can easily be railroaded in the media by people who have more resources than they have to fight it.

I know people think that the laws we have is to protect the guilty, but they have a lot more to do with protecting the innocent. The jury should only be influenced by things that are relevant to the crime. That system is not perfect, but it's already hard enough for someone who isn't a likable defendant to get a fair trial because they already have prejudices against them. Add the media to that then you might as well skip the entire trial and just send them to jail.

I have to work for a little while today...y'all hold down the fort...upstairs and down...see yall later !

Ely Minnesota is like that. Almost moved up there to start a used book store. Great area.

Owning a used book store sounds glorious. After living for a time in North Dakota, can't say I'd ever want to live up that way ever again, eh?

The day I arrived in Fargo, en route elsewhere, it was -30 degrees F BEFORE wind chill. Being a pina colada on the beach, tropical kind of gal, I seriously wondered if strangers would find my frozen body in a melting snowbank when spring came in June.

I think the key to this next phase is to find out what Jodi did that made Travis so mad - it had to be something huge!

Jodi's brother put up on FB that Jodi planned to send the recorded sex tape to Travis' girlfriends. I would say Travis found out she recorded their conversation and what her plans were to do with it. This certainly would evoke the type of response that was within that text. That Jodi would tape the conversation just for the sole purpose of sending it to his future girlfriends. I believe, also, that the sex talk on the phone had to do in part with what she liked to talk about and fantasize with him. She was the one who was in a relationship with a much older man who was almost old enough to be her father. Jodi was the one who was trying to find a place for the forest adventure. And we know from the tape that Jodi was the one who introduced Travis to the more unusual and usual sexual experiences that he was not doing at the time.

I think what is really suspect is the fact that she clearly asks him to repeat certain things that make him sound like a deviant shows she had plans for this tape to embarrass him.

I just wish the Hughes would have been able to tell the jury that Travis could not break with her completely because she threatened suicide and that is why he did not call the police in June. He did not want her there but did not want to do anything to upset her for fear she would commit suicide. In the last picture of him sitting there in the shower I wonder if he thought she was going to kill herself, just the look on his face. What a ruse it would have been for her to do that. See the pain on his face as she claimed she would kill herself. It would have put him totally off guard and the perfect victim because he would have never dreamed she would be, in fact, getting ready to kill him.

So true. I live in a state that does not allow Victim Impact statements to be used as evidence or to be considered when sentencing. And I beleive that is fair for all the reasons you stated.

OK, if I was in Arizona court and my brother was murdered and it was time for my VIS I would spend 2 minutes on how much I miss him and 28 minutes on the law. Start with Victims' rights act and move to VIS and explain it in layman's terms. I believe this jury went in two directions due to confusion. I was confused as well as some of the jurrors. It could have been cleared up from the start IMO.

I never knew this...

Murder of Travis Alexander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jury selection
The trial commenced on 10 December, 2012, in Maricopa County Superior Court before Judge Sherry K. Stephens. Seven women and 11 men, ranging in age from a male who appeared to be in his early 20s to several of retirement age were chosen. During the jury selection process, defense attorneys Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Wilmott argued that the prosecution was “systematically excluding” women and African-Americans. The jury appeared to be all white except for one Hispanic male. Prosecutor Juan Martinez argued that race and sex had nothing to do with striking the jurors. He cited a couple of women who had previous domestic violence incidents, one female who said she needed to be “100% sure that a person was guilty," an African-American woman who said she thinks the death penalty is akin to murder, and another woman married to a preacher. An African-American man was excused because he recognized one of the defense attorneys as a client at his after-school program. Judge Sherry Stephens ruled the prosecution showed no bias in their decision to dismiss the potential jurors.[43] The minute entry stated "Eighteen (18) persons are selected and sworn to act as trial jurors in this cause: Juror #’s 12, 21, 29, 33, 49, 62, 88, 115, 144, 161, 164, 172, 174, 187, 199, 202, 226 and 233."[44]

So true Lamb chop
And how do we know that she didn't pack a gun and knives in her new rental car to go after someone else?

Thats what ive always thought. Im just not sure who. Was it chris hughes because she was afraid of what he knew? Was it mimi? Was it someone random just to make it look like a serial killer was on the loose?
But the fact she had a gun, knives, and another rental car speaks volumes to me!
The jury did not know about this right?

Silly-stoopid tired, been up all night reading AZ statutes and heavy duty articles relating to the DP and LWOP. Nighty night. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

she'll never tell. if she had a conscience, maybe, but we know she doesn't. she doesn't feel bad about what she did to him---she's only sorry it landed her where it did. she has no reason to tell the truth, and i think she loves knowing that it drives everyone crazy that we don't know. SHE knows and she loves being the only one who does. JMO.

She's a sadist. If she felt any remorse at all for what she did, she would have covered him in the shower stall with a robe or a blanket. She left him there completely exposed because she enjoyed what she did and she was proud of it. Just like she saved and reveled in the sex tape.

In my view, her telling has nothing to do with "confession" or "penance" or "conscience." She has no interest in coy games that hide the ultimate power she wielded that night.

The family doesn't need to know if Travis begged for his life or if he cried or how many times he tried to crawl away from her. She couldn't tell what she wanted to tell because she had to reign it in and play that role for the jury. She doesn't care that she's driving anyone crazy. She cares about herself first and foremost, then she moves on to caring about inflicting another heaping of emotional distress on his family.

She had to pretend she didn't remember because if she actually described what happened in the bathroom, she wouldn't have been able to contain her glee. I would not be surprised to learn that, like Karla Faye Tucker, she took a lot of sexual pleasure in the murder.

She's been foiled all these years, unable to flaunt the ultimate power she had that night and it's been killing her.

She doesn't want anyone forgetting about her and dismissing her from their memories. She knows details will break the family's hearts all over again. She'd never pass on a chance to do that.

She's pissed about being caught and forced to cool her heels in jail for 5 years, preventing her from literally dancing on his grave. In my opinion, she'll love confirming for them that Travis suffered horribly; she made it happen and she wants credit for it.

I think it's difficult for humane and compassionate people to grasp that revenge and intentional infliction of emotional distress are her only motivators but she's inhumane and dispassionate.

That's what I see when I look at her and hear her.

Again, JMO.

My hubby is a building contractor, although had been admitted to law school.
He has fought me over my time reading websleuthing, watching the trial etc.
he admits his intrigue but jealousy of my attention.
I tokd him to join, he has so much to offer. He is right on with so many cases and the outcome.
but warning to all......he thinks complicated. And he sticks to it!
Well I think he thinks complicated. He thinks its simple.......

How will we recognize him when he gets here? I'll be wearing the tiara!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owning a used book store sounds glorious. After living for a time in North Dakota, can't say I'd ever want to live up that way ever again, eh?

The day I arrived in Fargo, en route elsewhere, it was -30 degrees F BEFORE wind chill. Being a pina colada on the beach, tropical kind of gal, I seriously wondered if strangers would find my frozen body in a melting snowbank when spring came in June.

Lol! Im from socal and heading to ND soon, might even end up doing biz out there for quite a awhile.
im not one bit used to cold let alone snow.

Why did it matter to the foreman if Juan was "condescending"? He's an adult right? Did he have to get revenge on the prosecution for the unforgivable act of being perceived as condescending? Emotional, child like thinking.

I don't like Mr. Jury Foreman.

The ONLY reason most people are following this case is FOR TRAVIS. I do not get how people think we follow this trial is anything other than Travis Alexander and his family.

I respectfully disagree. I knew little of Travis way back when this all began. I started following because of Jodi and her being an obvious psychopath in those tv interviews. I was immediately drawn in.
I didn't come to respect and care about Travis and his family until later when I learned more. I learned Travis was truly an innocent. I've rarely followed a case with such a fine upstanding human being like Travis was the victim. No one deserves to be slaughtered the way he was so Travis and his family didn't deserve any of this. But what victim would?
I love the justice system. I wanted to watch justice in action, I want to see Jodi locked away from society forever. I wanted the death penalty because his family does. But.. .. IMO and for me, I have already gotten my wish. She will die in prison one way or the other. I'm good with that.
I grew to really care about the Alexander's and have donated so they can be there everyday to remind jurors who Travis was and witness justice for their brother. IMO they've already received it. They just need to make peace with whatever happens now. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member