SoCal fires continue thread 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN says a lot of scam artists are taking advantage of the victims in California--CNN has gotten hundreds of e-mails, one said some motels were charging two thousand bucks a night! can't believe that, must be exaggeration, and I'm sure that California has the same Anti-Gouging Laws that we have here in Florida

We were hearing that many hotels in San Diego were giving reduced rates to fire victims on our local news. San Diego people really tend to pull together during times of crisis. In fact yesterday on the news they were asking people not to bring any more donations to the evacuation center at Qualcomm Stadium as they already had too many items.

Good morning everyone! I finally got a bit of sleep last night :)

I got up this morning to pick up one of our employees from the airport and was taking the 73 over and the fire is unbelievable from that vantage point. The smoke settling over the Saddleback Valley area looks like fog rolling in. I'm at my office in Mission Viejo and looking at the houses to the west of the 5, you can see the orange sunlight reflecting on them. It's just an eerie, orange glow outside.

My car was covered in a layer of ash this morning. I think the air quality today is the worst.

I have to agree, I think everyone in California is handling this as best they can. Neighbor helping neighbor. Hotels bending the rules for people, allowing them to stay for free, with their pets. Lessons learned from Katrina, where so many would not leave their pets behind.

Good morning everyone! I finally got a bit of sleep last night :)

I got up this morning to pick up one of our employees from the airport and was taking the 73 over and the fire is unbelievable from that vantage point. The smoke settling over the Saddleback Valley area looks like fog rolling in. I'm at my office in Mission Viejo and looking at the houses to the west of the 5, you can see the orange sunlight reflecting on them. It's just an eerie, orange glow outside.

My car was covered in a layer of ash this morning. I think the air quality today is the worst.

I have to agree, I think everyone in California is handling this as best they can. Neighbor helping neighbor. Hotels bending the rules for people, allowing them to stay for free, with their pets. Lessons learned from Katrina, where so many would not leave their pets behind.
I just this minute came over the 73 from Newport and you are so right. What a view of evrything.

I would have thought that CP would have their own fire dept but they don't.
I can see the copters going back and forth to the base.

That's incredible. I remember as a child (my father was a Marine) driving past fire stations going places on base.

here's a picture I took with my cell phone:

fire.jpg

Sounds like things are getting better,and I know that by no means is this over,but no new fires have started correct? No new evacuations?

As for learning from Katrina,yes, I think lots was learned from the Federal level down,but I think the huge differenc(IMO) is on a state level your govenor(what ever your political views) took charge and that did not happen in New Orleans.Between that govenor and the Mayor of New Orleans,they made a huge mess out of an already bad situation.

I'm sure there will be the blame game eventually,but under the dire circumstances that Mother Nature doled out to you guys,Californians should be very proud. You are taking action and doing what you can ,not waiting for the gov't to come in and take control.

PS don't mean to be preachy right now as most important is the safety of everyone.

Up-to-date information on the Horno Fire in Camp Pendleton: cause is undetermined- either a backfire that got out of control or an electrical transformer exploded, 10% contained, winds from coast are picking up and pushing flames west, I-5 northbound is open, firefighters on Camp Pendleton are doing controlled burns along the freeway to prevent it spreading, all gates on base are open, San Onofre housing have been evacuated.

Up-to-date information on the Horno Fire in Camp Pendleton: cause is undetermined- either a backfire that got out of control or an electrical transformer exploded, 10% contained, winds from coast are picking up and pushing flames west, I-5 northbound is open, firefighters on Camp Pendleton are doing controlled burns along the freeway to prevent it spreading, all gates on base are open, San Onofre housing have been evacuated.
thanks cali-Kid.

Hoping everyone is doing okay, I am assuming you didnt have to leave your house Jelly!

Here's a bit of a refugee view:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071024-9999-lz1n24stadium.html
They all wound up at the Qualcomm Stadium parking lot where a time-worn phrase, “the kindness of strangers,” came to life.
A couple of contractors drove into the lot Monday afternoon and parked a pop-up tent trailer in section P-3. They parked a second camper nearby and spread a blue tarp between them – instant campsite.
Then one of them walked over to the Shaws and asked if they needed a place to sleep. “He told us somebody might as well use them, and said to call him when we're done,” Frank Shaw said. “Incredible.”
Like a lot of the evacuees, the Shaws have been passing the time by volunteering themselves. Amanda even went to a trailer to donate blood. She filled out the paperwork and the nurse asked, “Is this your current address?” “That depends,” Amanda said. “Do you mean before the fire blew down my house or after?”

Last night they were saying some hotels were letting people stay free.....
My husband has an aunt, uncle & 4 cousins in San Diego area. One lives in Solana Beach and another in Del Mar. They evacuated, but I've read where Solana Beach residents can go home. (I can't help thinking, isn't that where Scott Peterson's parents live?)

ljwf22, Scott's mother and father lived in the Del Mar Heights area. I'm sure they're not there anymore.

xxxxxxxoo
mama
:blowkiss:

Oh - a 4.3 earthquake, a 4. anything earthquake - that's just a little shaker. Nothing more than a little rumbling. Doesn't do any damage, not in San Diego anyway - we're built for them. Even a 5 is just a bit of fun. 6 is where some little damage might happen, and 7 is serious. So a 4 - no biggie. Just a bit of fun.

I doubt the hotel gouging for thousands story (unless they tried the Hotel Del or some other extremely pricy resort) - but if it happened, it's not widespread.

I received this on a pet forum I frequent and thought I should post it here for anyone who is affected by the fire and has a pet.

VCA Animal Hospitals Offers Free Boarding for Pets Affected by Southern
California Fires

http://www.ad- hoc-news. de/Aktie/ 127...3/SOUTHERN .html<http://www.ad-
hoc-news. de/Aktie/ 12717634/ News/13829613/ SOUTHERN. html>

VCA Animal Hospitals announced today that local SOUTHERN California VCA
facilities are offering free boarding for companion animals whose families have
been evacuated or displaced as a result of the current firestorms.
Conveniently located VCA animal hospitals will provide a safe environment for pets that
have been affected by the fires through November 5, 2007 on a space available
basis.

As thousands of families are being evacuated to shelters or facing the loss
of their homes, VCA hopes to ease their burden by offering free boarding for
pets so they can focus on the critical issues with their families and homes,?
said Art Antin, Chief Operating Officer of VCA Animal Hospitals.

Boarding assistance for pets is based on space availability at individual
VCA Animal Hospitals throughout Southern California . Pet owners can Call the
following VCA facilities that currently have space available:

Alhambra VCA Mission Animal Hospital 626-289-3643
Arroyo Grande VCA South County Animal Hospital 805-489-1361
Bellflower VCA Lakewood Animal Hospital 562-633-8126
Big Bear City VCA Lakeside Animal Hospital 909-866-2021
Burbank VCA Animal Hospital ( Burbank ) 818-845-7246
Canoga Park VCA Companion Animal Hospital 818-340-1569
Cypress VCA College Park - Ana Brook Animal Hospital 714-827-6861
Encinitas VCA North Coast Animal Hospital 760-632-1072
Glendale VCA Arden Animal Hospital 818-246-2478
Hermosa Beach VCA Coast Animal Hospital 310-372-8881
Hesperia VCA Victor Valley Animal Hospital 760-244-8022
La Mesa VCA Grossmont Animal Hospital 619-697-0082
Laguna Niguel VCA Aliso Viejo Animal Hospital 949-643-0437
Lake Forest VCA Saddleback Animal Hospital 949-586-4250
Lake Forest VCA Arroyo Animal Hospital 949-770-1808
Long Beach VCA Los Altos Animal Hospital 562-421-3749
Los Alamitos VCA Rossmoor- El Dorado Animal Hospital 562-598-8621
Los Angeles VCA Miller-Robertson Animal Hospital 310-657-7050
Los Angeles VCA Petville Animal Hospital 310-313-9118
Mission Viejo VCA Mission Viejo Animal Hospital 949-582-1220
Monrovia VCA Santa Anita Animal Hospital 626-359-3281
Palm Springs VCA Desert Animal Hospital 760-778-9999
Pasadena VCA A Breed Apart Animal Hospital 626-795-4444
Rancho Mirage VCA Rancho Mirage Animal Hospital 760-346-6103
Reseda VCA McClave Animal Hospital 818-881-5102
Ridgecrest VCA Crestwood Animal Hospital 760-446-7616
Rolling Hills Estates
VCA Silver Spur Animal Hospital310- 541-3331
San Diego VCA Angel Animal Hospital 619-291-0042
San Diego VCA Hillcrest Animal Hospital 619-299-7387
San Diego VCA Main Street Animal Hospital 619-232-7401
San Diego VCA West Bernardo Animal Hospital 858-485-7570
Santa Fe Springs VCA La Mirada Animal Hospital 562-921-3539
Santa Monica VCA Santa Monica Dog and Cat Hospital 310-453-5459
Santa Monica VCA Wilshire Animal Hospital 310-828-4587
Spring Valley VCA Paradise Valley Animal Hospital 619-475-9770
Temecula VCA El Rancho Animal Hospital 951-296-3898
Torrance VCA Clarmar Animal Hospital 310-371-2474
Torrance VCA Kennel Club Resort & Spa 310-539-2201
Upland VCA Central Animal Hospital 909-981-2855
Venice VCA Marina Animal Hospital 310-306-8707
Victorville VCA Mesa Animal Hospital 760-245-0109
Woodland Hills VCA Parkwood Animal Hospital 818-884-5506

Sounds like things are getting better,and I know that by no means is this over,but no new fires have started correct? No new evacuations?

~snip for space~

Sorry to report, new fire in Foothill Ranch. Looks like my office will be evacuating for the 3rd consecutive day. Small strip shopping center down the street and business building are executing mandatory evacuations. That means, unless we get helicopters and/or a huge amount of support, our turn will come in the next hour or so.

Uuughhh - the air is so thick and smoky and we're all so tired. :(

Sorry to report, new fire in Foothill Ranch. Looks like my office will be evacuating for the 3rd consecutive day. Small strip shopping center down the street and business building are executing mandatory evacuations. That means, unless we get helicopters and/or a huge amount of support, our turn will come in the next hour or so.

Oh no.

Sending my prayers to ALL in southern Ca during this horror.

The only "good" (relatively speaking) news I have seen is the WONDERFUL response for the ANIMALS - heartwarming images of families with their pets, horses, livestock! Chickens, turtles, goats - even PIGS! Not a single family member left behind because of some stupid rule of "no animals" at ALL evacuation centers. And everyone so calm and civil to each other everywhere. When people know all their "loved ones" (with 2 and 4 legs) are safe, even terrible losses of property and "things" can be endured. I hope we all learned from Katrina and I pray we never have a repeat of that horror again. So many lives lost - unforgivable, IMO.

I wish it wasn't necessary, but KUDOS Californians - you are showing the rest of the WORLD why Americans - the PEOPLE (not the Govt) of our country - have always been the heroes and hearts of helping each other and the world. You got it RIGHT CALIFORNIA! Show the WORLD how America CAN AND SHOULD take care of their own when disaster strikes at our doors.

Stay safe and keep taking care of each other out there!

I'm hearing from people all over the country who say that So CAL is the new model for how it's supposed to be done. Friends and family in the east called me about the fires and said the news teams have piled on the praise for our services and spirit of sharing and giving.

That sucks. I also saw some news guy on in Jamul(don'y know where that is). He was showing a gated community with very expensive homes. i guess they are having to leave.
Good luck,stay safe.

I am so sorry for you....The air here is so thick I can only imagine what it is like there.

Another fire in Foothill? Geez, that is scary. Our friends evacuated the other night and the firefighter saved their home. They were staging in their backyard. I hope you stay safe, mesnowmom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member