South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few clues which, for me, point to him being in full control. It would puzzle me if this was an out of control event.

One is that he seems to have had a plan worked out for dealing with the family one by one, drawing them in and using the element of surprise, and dealing with the men first. Not only that but it was frenzied but not so frenzied that he lost sense of what the others were doing and having to manage them before they got away.

Two is that he may have worn gloves, because he put gloves on the imaginary intruder and I think it would have been really difficult to wipe fingerprints off the axe handle without it being obvious that blood that was there had been wiped away too. We know he went for at least one walk, and it would have been easy to hide gloves in someone's bin or a bush or buried them somewhere.

Three is that he had awareness of reality and therefore didn't have the courage to really hurt himself, or to phone emergency services until much later and four is that he remembers the events and the sequence.

On another note I'm intrigued that he left the attack on Marli out of his statements. He could not bring himself to lie about her because he didn't know if she would survive and remember, so he just left it out.

I'm hoping we will hear a medical opinion on Marli's ability to have survived the cut to her jugular vein, and whether it had to have been inflicted later than the head injuries.

I've been mulling over this for days.

Marli is the only one with her throat cut, why so much effort to kill her but not HvB? The intruders mission was to ensure Martin, Teresa, Rudi, and Marli die because....??!! One intruder clumsily fought with HvB even though there was another man doing nothing downstairs, maybe even two according to HvB!

Did HvB cut Marli's throat just before or not long after he made the call to emergency? He must have done the rounds to make sure every one was dead, Marli was still breathing, he went downstairs and took a knife from the block, returned to her and cut her throat. He then inflicted the wounds on himself.

And, Sasha the dog, where was she? There's no police report that she was covered in blood, so why not? Was she in the bathroom with HvB and she remained there the whole time?

:gaah:

This is what HvB said about the attack on Martin in his witness statement:

and then the person started to assault the father with the axe. RUDI was just lying on the bed while this person was hitting my father with the axe. I was still standing in the bedroom with the lights on looking of what is happening in front of me. My father then collapse in my room where this person was attacking him.

This is what he said about the attack on Martin in his plea explanation:

My dad immediately moved towards and onto the bed, over Rudi, towards the attacker who was on the opposite side of the bed. It looked as if he was trying to tackle the attacker or at least get between the attacker and Rudi. However, my Dad was struck with the axe as he lunged towards the attacker. His body went limp on the bed and I did not see him move again. Despite this, he was hit a number of times by the attacker with the axe.

The defence has not disputed Dr Anthony's evidence regarding Martin. She said:

Martin had no wounds on his hands, wrists & forearms. DrA says the Martin was surprised by attack as no defensive wounds.
Dr A: Most likely unaware and surprised by the attack

Adv G: the defence has admitted all of your findings

HvB's accounts are conflicting and also can't be true if Dr Anthony's undisputed findings are also true.

In the first he has Martin receiving many axe blows before he collapsed, and in the second he has Martin collapsing after the first blow and then the attack continuing.

In both, Martin is aware and unsurprised because he's seen the deadly attack taking place, and how the weapon is being used, and he's headed towards it.

The defence is in trouble with this because they agree Martin was aware yet unaware of risk to self. Martin trusted the maniac with the axe.

This is what HvB said about the attack on Martin in his witness statement:

and then the person started to assault the father with the axe. RUDI was just lying on the bed while this person was hitting my father with the axe. I was still standing in the bedroom with the lights on looking of what is happening in front of me. My father then collapse in my room where this person was attacking him.

This is what he said about the attack on Martin in his plea explanation:

My dad immediately moved towards and onto the bed, over Rudi, towards the attacker who was on the opposite side of the bed. It looked as if he was trying to tackle the attacker or at least get between the attacker and Rudi. However, my Dad was struck with the axe as he lunged towards the attacker. His body went limp on the bed and I did not see him move again. Despite this, he was hit a number of times by the attacker with the axe.

The defence has not disputed Dr Anthony's evidence regarding Martin. She said:

Martin had no wounds on his hands, wrists & forearms. DrA says the Martin was surprised by attack as no defensive wounds.
Dr A: Most likely unaware and surprised by the attack

Adv G: the defence has admitted all of your findings

HvB's accounts are conflicting and also can't be true if Dr Anthony's undisputed findings are also true.

In the first he has Martin receiving many axe blows before he collapsed, and in the second he has Martin collapsing after the first blow and then the attack continuing.

In both, Martin is aware and unsurprised because he's seen the deadly attack taking place, and how the weapon is being used, and he's headed towards it.

The defence is in trouble with this because they agree Martin was aware yet unaware of risk to self. Martin trusted the maniac with the axe.

I agree Tortoise, the defence are in trouble, Martin could see it was Henri attacking Rudi! The same applies to Teresa and Marli, they all confronted him, I even bet they begged him to stop! If he had killed them in their sleep he'd have a better chance at escaping justice. Rudi screaming for help, awakening the household will surely condemn HvB to a life in prison!
Botha is just delaying the inevitable!!

The paramedics had to go in the bedroom to check on the status of Martin and Rudi. They also went in there to get a pillow to put under Marli's head. I expect the blood spatter evidence is going to have been disturbed, unless it was dried by then. Hopefully they will be able to differentiate between shoe prints and Henri's foot prints, and also either Teresa's or Marli's blood can be detected in the bathroom. Maybe that's too much to hope for, with everything we know about SA and forensics!

The other thing that's puzzling me is he called from the cordless landline, so I'm trying to work out how he could have been in another street, unless it had an incredible long-distance range. Maybe I've misunderstood the phone evidence.

I agree Tortoise, the defence are in trouble, Martin could see it was Henri attacking Rudi! The same applies to Teresa and Marli, they all confronted him, I even bet they begged him to stop! If he had killed them in their sleep he'd have a better chance at escaping justice. Rudi screaming for help, awakening the household will surely condemn HvB to a life in prison!
Botha is just delaying the inevitable!!

I think you're right and I sure do hope so. The thought of this despicable creep going free is just -- unthinkable.

It looks as though modern phones can be used some distance from the house. See below:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Elements-Cordless-Machine-Nuisance/dp/B00Q66HVXQ

Here is another link which states some cordless, these days, have extended range and lists the types.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/What-Is-t...MHz-Cordless-Phones-/10000000177628888/g.html

Range

Cordless phone ranges increase as radio frequencies increase. Range can vary depending on obstructions, frequency interference, transmission technology, and the weather. Hence, a 2.4 GHz cordless phone will have a greater range in the open countryside than the same frequency phone that someone uses in a large city that contains tall buildings and numerous radio transmission towers. However, with all factors equal, users can expect the following frequency ranges:

Frequency Range
46-49 MHz 40 to 250 feet
900 MHz 75 to 400 feet
900 MHz with DSS 200 to 1500 feet
2.4 GHz 300 to 2000 feet
5.8 GHz 300 to 2000 feet

In addition, 2.4 GHz cordless phones are above the range that scanners intercept radio frequencies. This advantage prevents eavesdropping from listening in on conversations. Range is an especially important factor when someone decides to walk outside and talk on a 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

"His [Martin's] body went limp on the bed"

That is an up close observation, and from his viewpoint in the bathroom I don't think he would have been able to detect such detail as 'limp' which means muscles relaxed, especially with an attacker standing in the way, still striking him with the axe.

The other thing that's puzzling me is he called from the cordless landline, so I'm trying to work out how he could have been in another street, unless it had an incredible long-distance range. Maybe I've misunderstood the phone evidence.

I think the Allemann Street location from Engelbrecht's testimony is a bit of a red herring. The van Breda property shared it's back boundary with a house in Allemann Street, and the houses in that part of De Zalze are quite close together. So if Henri was near the back of the house looking up his GPS co-ords on Google, he could easily have been placed at the rear neighbour's address.

And because of the configuration of the two cul-de-sacs, walking to the start of Allemann would have been close to a half-kilometre walk. So I doubt he did that, and I doubt he was giving fake addresses.

Welcome to the thread Soekie!

Thanks for posting those. Do we know if that is the back door shown in photo 3, or the front door?

Thank you Soekie for the pics and welcome! :) It's a lovely home btw.

So the intruder/s hanging out down below could see the attacks on Teresa, Marli and HvB as it's not a low solid partition but balustrade all the way down the stairs.
HvB is going to regret saying he heard voices downstairs speaking Afrikaans. These intruders could hear and see everything on the landing!! Why would they allow HvB to overcome one assailant? And when did the attacker return upstairs to cut Marli's throat, while HvB was unconscious, so why not do the same to him?!! Phfft.

Rudi only joined his family in South Africa during January 2015. He is still studying in Australia and came back during the Holidays and I guess would have been going back to Melbourne to finish his studies. That maybe why he does not have a room of his own.

I think the room was very large and contained two double beds and as Rudi would be going back to Oz to study it may have been thought sharing would be OK for the short time he was in SA. Also they could have kept the 4th Bedroom as a guest room or possibly it did not have its own bathroom. I would love to see a plan of the whole of the house.

This situation reveals to me how dangerous HvB is, and I believe he is capable of killing his partner and family in the future. Rudi was set to return to Australia, he would be rid of him so something sparked HvB to take action. An ultimatum made by Martin that he couldn't escape, Rudi telling him some home truths?

We've learned Martin was controlling of Teresa and Marli, I don't believe this was the case with the sons. I think they enjoyed a privileged and carefree upbringing. HvB was overshadowed by his popular and successful older brother who clearly had a bright future ahead of him.
Maybe, comparisons were made and HvB coming up short. Martin and Teresa were mystified by HvB's reluctance to take on responsibilities as he got older and that he preferred to indulge in drugs and bone idleness. Martin may have tried coercion and even threats to cut his allowance to no avail, and this prompted them to visit a clinic and a brain scan was ordered. There may also have been other odd occurrences, HvB doing or saying peculiar things.
More to the conversation about HvB having a mental disorder earlier in the thread, I think it's psychopathy, which is often inherited.
Even without a drug in his system, the reward he anticipated in receiving for wiping out his family would be comparable to dopamine level rise from drug taking. JMO
This is an interesting article about psychopaths, reward and drug use.

The brains of psychopaths appear to be wired to keep seeking a reward at any cost, new research from Vanderbilt University finds. The research uncovers the role of the brain’s reward system in psychopathy and opens a new area of study for understanding what drives these individuals.
The results were published March 14, 2010, in Nature Neuroscience.

“Psychopaths are often thought of as cold-blooded criminals who take what they want without thinking about consequences,” Joshua Buckholtz, a graduate student in the Department of Psychology and lead author of the new study, said. “We found that a hyper-reactive dopamine reward system may be the foundation for some of the most problematic behaviors associated with psychopathy, such as violent crime, recidivism and substance abuse.”

Previous research on psychopathy has focused on what these individuals lack; fear, empathy and interpersonal skills. The new research, however, examines what they have in abundance; impulsivity, heightened attraction to rewards and risk taking. Importantly, it is these latter traits that are most closely linked with the violent and criminal aspects of psychopathy.

“There has been a long tradition of research on psychopathy that has focused on the lack of sensitivity to punishment and a lack of fear, but those traits are not particularly good predictors of violence or criminal behavior,” David Zald, associate professor of psychology and of psychiatry and co-author of the study, said. “Our data is suggesting that something might be happening on the other side of things. These individuals appear to have such a strong draw to reward; to the carrot; that it overwhelms the sense of risk or concern about the stick.”

To examine the relationship between dopamine and psychopathy, the researchers used positron emission tomography, or PET, imaging of the brain to measure dopamine release, in concert with a functional magnetic imaging, or fMRI, probe of the brain’s reward system.

“The really striking thing is with these two very different techniques we saw a very similar pattern; both were heightened in individuals with psychopathic traits,” Zald said.

Study volunteers were given a personality test to determine their level of psychopathic traits. These traits exist on a spectrum, with violent criminals falling at the extreme end of the spectrum. However, a normally functioning person can also have the traits, which include manipulativeness, egocentricity, aggression and risk taking.

In the first portion of the experiment, the researchers gave the volunteers a dose of amphetamine, or speed, and then scanned their brains using PET to view dopamine release in response to the stimulant. Substance abuse has been shown in the past to be associated with alterations in dopamine responses. Psychopathy is strongly associated with substance abuse.

“Our hypothesis was that psychopathic traits are also linked to dysfunction in dopamine reward circuitry,” Buckholtz said. “Consistent with what we thought, we found people with high levels of psychopathic traits had almost four times the amount of dopamine released in response to amphetamine.”

In the second portion of the experiment, the research subjects were told they would receive a monetary reward for completing a simple task. Their brains were scanned with fMRI while they were performing the task. The researchers found in those individuals with elevated psychopathic traits the dopamine reward area of the brain, the nucleus accumbens, was much more active while they were anticipating the monetary reward than in the other volunteers.

“It may be that because of these exaggerated dopamine responses, once they focus on the chance to get a reward, psychopaths are unable to alter their attention until they get what they’re after,” Buckholtz said. Added Zald, “It’s not just that they don’t appreciate the potential threat, but that the anticipation or motivation for reward overwhelms those concerns.”

The National Institute on Drug Abuse funded the research.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2010/03...ek-rewards-no-matter-the-consequences-109865/

Welcome to the thread Soekie!

Thanks for posting those. Do we know if that is the back door shown in photo 3, or the front door?

I am not sure. Here is a few photos
http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundayti...rest-and-one-offer-for-Van-Breda-murder-house
attachment.php

Attachments

• kitchen 2.JPG
    kitchen 2.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 51
Apologies, my grammar is on par with Malan it seems (blush)

Some photos in the local media showed front entrance on street side where the judge etc went in. There is a passage, with the study immediately to your right. You basically walk through the passage, underneath the stairs, into the open plan living/dining room. I am not sure if that door you see from the livingroom is just a side door, because in the photos you also can't see the pantry at the kitchen. So I suspect there is another door in the kitchen. There was quite a good photo recently where the vantage point on the stairs was more to the left so one could see more of the landing and first floor and the area where the axe apparently hit the wall. I will try my best to find it

Andre Hitchcock returns to the stand.

Adv Botha - You told us last week that when you arrived at the scene on 27 January 2015, there had already been other officers there.

Yes, Hitchcock says.

There were various bloody footprints at the scene. Hitchcock confirms this.

While taking a video of the scene, he was the only one in the house. He processed the scene.

The photos he took are part of exhibit A.

Until Warrant Officer Hanekom joined you, at the time there was no other officers on the scene. Hitchcock says yes, during processing of the scene.

Refers to photos. No cones yet, just photos of the scene.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/live-van-breda-axe-murder-trial-day-24-20170607

https://twitter.com/Traceyams

Advocate Botha is back and starts his cross examination of Hitchcock

Adv B:when u arrived at the scene you document what you find on the scene and you take video and you are only person walking round

B: while taking the video, then take a 360 degree video - H: correct

B: after taken video now Hanekom comes with you and you decide where to put the orange cones to identify evidence H:Y

H: the processing of scene, video, photos etc before processing obviously I am made aware of what happened on scene

Adv B: As far as u can remember till Hanekom walked through with you, were you the only person in the house and on the scene H:yes

B refers to photos, aerial photos taken after the event. Then crime scene photos w/o cones and you were alone H: yes

Adv B: then the photos of cones and you start physically collecting evidence H: Yes

Adv B shows photo 7 you can see that someone is walking through the house? [or walked through will clarify this]

H says that is Captain Joubert. H- thats correct, from photo 7-79 till 91 I was outside at that point obviously Joubert inside

B: we know for a fact that when you took photos of scene inside that Joubert was inside and he also took photos - H: seems so

B: did you forget that he was taking photos with you? H: I see he has camera with him but I am not certain the time this was taken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo