State rests rebuttal case - thread #170

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone (forgot who) about 34,000 threads ago, had a really good, long post on this. Her looks have transformed. Deformed, I should say. Like her mask came off and the evil is now apparent to the naked eye.

I knew who it was til you posted it. As a matter of fact Mr Red and I were discussing this last night. We have a family member who, although she has not perpetuated such a heinous crime, a lot of her true self has been revealed and she has transformed in looks in a little over year.I truly believe that true evil can show physically .

I’m still trying to digest things after the marathon day in court. Kudos to JSS for making sure that testimony concluded yesterday.
I’m not sure what to make of the jury questions to Dr. Geffner yesterday on the pysch tests. It seemed that the questions were general in nature and gave me no particular insight as to the reasoning behind the questions. Some of the questions did seem to doubt the reliability of anxiety/PTSD given that JA took these tests while she was in jail and facing murder charges with a possible death penalty. The jury questions on his gunshot wound testimony seemed to indicate that they did not consider him to be credible.
Yesterday was not a good day for the DT in general and Wilmott in particular. It came out through testimony yesterday that the DT was again selective in providing information to their expert, thus misleading the expert to a desired conclusion. JW also asked Dr. Geffner a misleading question regarding remuneration for testimony; in this, she was misleading the jury. The jury did in fact question Geffner on this; if I were a juror, having a number of instances where it was shown that counsel was misleading would negatively influence my opinions and ability to be objective.
Wilmott is not in the same league as Martinez when it comes to mastery of subject matter or common sense. She got tripped up several times yesterday trying to oversimplify complex issues and it backfired on her. Just as with DeMarte, Hayes shut her down in certain lines of questioning. IMO, Dr. Horn displays something bordering on contempt towards Wilmott for her plunging forward with questioning his knowledge and opinions when she does not even demonstrate a basic understanding of pathology and human anatomy. His “simple geometry” answer to her question last week could be seen as condescending. Yesterday she was asking about the autolyzed brain; there was some pretty descriptive testimony about the decomposed state of the brain where Wilmott fell flat with the pudding vs. liquid issue. Basic science teaches us that matter can be one of three forms; gas, solid or liquid and she lost herself on this one.
I’ll agree with others who have said that Dr. Geffner was the best witness offered by the DT. He held up quite well under JM’s testimony came off as credible. This was very important for the DT after the disasters with Dr. Samuels and AVL. I do believe that some parts of his testimony ended up benefitting the prosecution.
I don’t envy the DT when it comes to closing arguments. They started with a weak case and ended up with JA being proven a liar while in court and in direct response to juror’s questions. Overall, the character of their witnesses has come under scrutiny. I personally would struggle trying to put something compelling in front of the jury and would worry about having to revise it on the fly, not knowing what JM will be presenting before DT closing arguments.

All that's left now is to pray the jury knows and understands what "Reasonable Doubt" s.
That ignorant jury in Florida had no idea. Let's hope there are many logical peeps on this jury.

I have seen too many jurors think that if the have any doubt, they have to acquit. it drives me bat crazy. I hope Juan can explain the term. Many jurors will shake their heads that they understand when in actuality they don't. This is a very real problem in the system. There should be a class taught on it before they are placed in the jury box.

For some reason people still picture 'Beyond any Shadow of a doubt" as their guideline. It is not and it needs to be clarified. These attorneys are smart and erroneously think that everyone understands but many people don't. Furthermore, jurors don't ask or tell anyone they don't understand the concept. This is my biggest fear when it comes to juries.

dr.horn does autopsies all day long. it's not required of him to do 'research.' that was a misleading, false line of questioning by the DT. there's not an ME out there who would disagree with me either. his EXPERIENCE is what makes him valuable----he's seen 1000's of gunshot wounds to the head. dr. geffner (who's a PhD, NOT an MD) has seen

ZERO!!!!!!!

Agree. He's a practioner, not a researcher. No problem, no negative connotation whatsoever.

Jodi does appear to have a different nose, however the present nose is still big, and her nostrils are animal like...

just yesterday I commented that she had an ugly nose...my husband say's she is not pretty, period.

I know those giant spider hands give me nightmares...yesterday her knuckles were red...

she is morphing into A Yates before our eyes....

I see "spinsterhood" in her near future.

The typo, the gun came first, the stabbing come first. Jodi's PTSD. It all is just not important to me.

Gotta quote the Court' ruling on this:
The court’s findings in August 2009 support that court’s determination the victim suffered both physically and mentally regardless of when the wounds were inflicted, and that the defendant knew or should have known that the victim would suffer.

I just want JM to repeat how everything happened. Point out how Jodi's version does not make any sense. Highlight the fact that even on the stand, she looked the jury in their EYES and lied to their faces, so I wouldn't doubt if she had lied to her so called experts. Expose her lies about the gas cans and highlight how she brutally killed a man. He should show the photos again, so the jury remembers what this is really about! No PTSD, no typos, no brain, no borderline disorder, just a jealous woman deciding that since she couldn't have this man, no one else would.

I agree with thus person and hope judge can convey this in instructions. The ruling as worded is devastating to DT.

okay...I can see jodi flipping out...I am hoping she does...because I would love to see her get zapped with the "other" magic underware she is wearing in court.

That is Jodi lying not them. They have to take what their client says and do the best with it. That is their role. They need to fight for them based on what they are told by their client.

She deserves a defense. And they did the best they could with what they had to work with.

i don't see it this way. yes, she lied and was on record with the lies so they had to work with them. but the attorneys created this defense. they had to come up with arguments against the state's evidence. that's their job. it's NOT their job to find the truth. that's the job of the state.

to believe it's the defendant who provides every answer and the lawyers simply use that and nothing else isn't true. if it was, there would be no need to get the best defense attorney you can find----you'd just need someone to parrot what you say. do you really believe JW and KN buy her story and are just thinking 'she really didn't do this and was abused and had PTSD and is the true victim here?' i certainly don't believe that. defense attorneys defend guilty clients. it's STILL their job to try to get them off.

Jodi does appear to have a different nose, however the present nose is still big, and her nostrils are animal like...

just yesterday I commented that she had an ugly nose...my husband say's she is not pretty, period.

I know those giant spider hands give me nightmares...yesterday her knuckles were red...

she is morphing into A Yates before our eyes....

I noticed that too, very red, I was wondering if at one point she was trying to hurt her fingers under the DT table to force out some real tears.

Anyone know if they're doing a late night again tonight or stopping at 4:30 per usual?
There was no discussion about extended hours today--and after marathon Wednesday, my guess is that court will end at the usual time.

I agree with thus person and hope judge can convey this in instructions. The ruling as worded is devastating to DT.

Being sleepy last night and in :panic: mode when others were freaking about the typo, I read that. All the anxiety drained away with that ruling.

I agree. The ME saw the hole in Travis' skull, he measured the depth of it and the circumference. He knows that the tip of the bullet pierced the frontal lobe based on those measurements. It's very unfortunate that the report had typographical errors. I read the report again last night and noted that there were spelling mistakes as well. Not very professional and if an admin prepared it, then that person probably needs to be retrained or fired.

In all likelihood it was typed it up from a tape recording. Medical transcriber. And yes, with something this important, an error like is huge and should result in firing. Spelling mistakes are inexcusable if that is your job. This wasn't a run of the mill autopsy, there was a serious crime involved.

I've transcribed medical reports before and you have to be extremely accurate. There are a lot of terms that sound similar but are very different -otomy vs. ectomy for example. You are hyper aware of this and check and double check if necessary.

There's also a chance he mispoke if he were talking into a recorder, or what he said wasn't clear and the person transcribing typed exactly what he said.

thank you....do you know when they pick the jurors? before closing arguments? after? before jury instructions? I am lost here....

What I found was:
At the time of impanelment, the trial judge should inform the jurors that at the end of the case, the alternates will be determined by lot in a drawing held in open court. Just before the jury retires to begin deliberations, the clerk shall, by lot, determine the juror or jurors to be designated as alternates.
http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/18_5.htm
http://www.iadcfoundation.org/UserFiles/file/Arizona_Jury_Innovations.pdf

So after closing arguments and jury instructions.

okay...I can see jodi flipping out...I am hoping she does...because I would love to see her get zapped with the "other" magic underware she is wearing in court.

I don't think she'll react but I hope, hope, hope you're right and she does. I would love to see a major meltdown. I mean come on, we've waited FOUR MONTHS for this. Can't we get something out of her?? Just to show us she's suffering. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

JA wasted her entire life prior to murdering Travis.

She was nothing, had nothing, strived for nothing. She used men as stepping stones. Her life was wasted long before a fake 'fit of rage'. She planned the murder 'tantrum'. She floated around like a virus waiting to find a new host that she could mooch off of.

She chose not to seek mental help (even though she had those low-cost mental health brochures for Travis) She chose to never better herself. She spent $300 on fake bewbs when she could've taken a college course. GED classes are free. She is and will always be a nothing. She contributed nothing positive to this world.

moo

Apparently she's been running for quite some time. How exhausting it all sounds.

How was Daryl Brewer a stepping stone?

I had lunch scheduled with my best friend and we were to meet right at court start time (which surely wouldn't have started then but you know what I mean). I cancelled with her. She totally understood, which is why she's my best friend!

Don't know what I was thinking scheduling a lunch today though... :doh:

My sister asked to me to come visit her this week and I told her I could not since closing arguments were to start. I do feel badly about it but I have been trial watching this for a few months now. She was not upset. She has not watched this trial but she said she was going to watch the Jackson one.

Sorry to ask this, but what time does court start today? I thought it was 9:00am, but I saw Wild say 9:30. I do not want to miss a minute. TIA

Hi all. I have a couple of comments I thought I'd throw out here before things start today. But first I would like to tell all of you how much intelligence, creativity, heart, and humor you fine people have. I truly enjoy reading comments here because I learn new things and laugh often reading your posts. Ok, so enough of that.

Yesterday was unbelievable to me for a number of reasons. But I wanted to comment on the psychological testimony of the entire trial and the juror questions.

I have really been focused on this aspect because it goes to the heart of self defense. However, imagine being a juror in this case. They have been bombarded with psychological verbiage, multiple theories, sex, stalking, domestic violence, personality disorders, PTSD, laws of attraction, experts that testify completely outside of their own field of expertise, and not one agreement as to what JA suffers from.

Throughout this trial very little time was spent on FACTS of this case. And I wonder sometimes if the jury can see the forest for the trees so to speak. But with that said I have complete faith that PREMEDITATION will be established and that Juan will make it clear. With that said, I pray the jurors look at all of the psych testimony based on what they saw with their own eyes...

Every DT psych expert had to address, as part of their testimony, issues of bias and/or ethical violations or sanctions.
Every DT pysch expert refused to acknowledge that lying would alter a test result
Every DT psych expert refused to answer questions directly asked of them
Every DT psych expert in one way or another disrupted the court proceedings
Every DT psych expert talked to only JA
Every DT psych expert failed to include, as part of their interview of JA, an evaluation to determine the presence of Malingering (outside of the testing instruments built in controls for deception)
Every DT psych expert was either giggly or openly hostile at some point in their testimony

I'm positive that you all can add more to this list. So at the end of the day if the psych testimony is too hard to make sense of for the jury, it is my fervent hope that they throw out all the bs and just base their decisions on what common sense and simple facts tell them.

In all likelihood it was typed it up from a tape recording. Medical transcriber. And yes, with something this important, an error like is huge and should result in firing. Spelling mistakes are inexcusable if that is your job. This wasn't a run of the mill autopsy, there was a serious crime involved.

I've transcribed medical reports before and you have to be extremely accurate. There are a lot of terms that sound similar but are very different -otomy vs. ectomy for example. You are hyper aware of this and check and double check if necessary.

There's also a chance he mispoke if he were talking into a recorder, or what he said wasn't clear and the person transcribing typed exactly what he said.

You really think the person should be fired though?? They're only human! I would hate to think that I could NEVER make a mistake in my job without getting fired.

ETA: Also, should the person who didn't catch the typo be fired too? Should everyone who read it and didn't catch it be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwaggoner16