Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve's website will probably go down within a month. He doesn't have the funds to pay for the site anymore. Just thought I would remind fellow Sleuther's in case they want to save stuff. I'm sure LE might take it down and preserve it if they use it at trial too.

Here is a very amateur attempt to provide lurkers with information about this case.

As Dom stated, I too live in Utah. I too have followed this case very closely from the beginning. I too am LDS, so when someone from our community goes missing, it is hard to not sit up and pay attention. My heart has hurt so much for Susan’s boys. I have been VERY suspicious of Josh from the beginning.

For those people who maybe lurk, but have not followed this case. Let me give you a rundown of information from the beginning:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lvv7QsyyeQCAbBf1UgeQo_zESRC28S_sYTEYBrSUr1k/edit?hl=en_US

Ditto excellent

I have no doubt Steve visited some interesting websites, another poster said Det. Ed Troyer stated there are over 100 pages of documents on SP that will not be revealed until trial... Here's the podcast link to the interview- http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=33887&p=6&n=

ETA- Monson asked Troyer, " How do you know this was limited to Steven Powell, Josh Powell also lives in that house, how do you isolate Steven Powell with this"?

Troyer stated " Our detectives working with WVPD have done a good job with timelines, date stamps, computer entries, log-on/log-off's, there was a lot more to this that is technical other than just finding the pictures to make the case. The prosecutor has that information, just because it is not in the charging papers, we have hundreds of pages of police reports and investigation that is not going to be made public. That's between us and him until the trial".

Sorry for quoting my own post, but I added to it.

I did not realize that PCSO had only scratched the surface in analyzing SP's computers. They just wanted to get him off the streets. Troyer also stated they are still looking at emails and IP addys and tracing them out.

Steve's website will probably go down within a month. He doesn't have the funds to pay for the site anymore. Just thought I would remind fellow Sleuther's in case they want to save stuff. I'm sure LE might take it down and preserve it if they use it at trial too.

Sage advice, you never know when it will be gone, I do very much agree!

That being said, I have no idea exactly what he pays, but once your website is built, a lot of website hosts offer annual billing and a lot of them are pretty inexpensive. I have a (neglected) author website and I only pay about 60 bucks a year to keep it up. And a lot of them just bill your credit card anually unless you tell them not to.

:seeya:

Sage advice, you never know when it will be gone, I do very much agree!

That being said, I have no idea exactly what he pays, but once your website is built, a lot of website hosts offer annual billing and a lot of them are pretty inexpensive. I have a (neglected) author website and I only pay about 60 bucks a year to keep it up. And a lot of them just bill your credit card anually unless you tell them not to.

:seeya:

That is true. It is usually a yearly renewal (I have one of my own) and can be automatic. The only big expense is setting it up, I am nearly positive Josh set that up for him.

Computer nerd here.

I pulled the registration for his site...and it will come to nobody's surprise that he used a service to make it private. The registrant is Josh's former marketing company, The Polished Web. While not listed on this image, there was further data that showed the last update to the domain registry info was in May 2009.

Also, I have a program that takes screenshots of scrolling windows, so I am going to go through his site to get those for the record.

REH75.jpg

HotLavaJavas, can you tell when the songs were added to his site?

I haven't used it in a while, but the waybackmachine used to be helpful for that kind of thing.

I pulled it through the WBM, and I found information on his prior house for sale with snapshots from Aug '04 through Feb '05. Screenshots acquired, of course.

Hasn't been scrawled since by the WBM.

Going through his site to screenshot...if I were a forensic scientist (soon!!!) I would require hazard pay and a hazmat suit. :sick:

I pulled it through the WBM, and I found information on his prior house for sale with snapshots from Aug '04 through Feb '05. Screenshots acquired, of course.

Hasn't been scrawled since by the WBM.

Going through his site to screenshot...if I were a forensic scientist (soon!!!) I would require hazard pay and a hazmat suit. :sick:

Are you studying to be a forensic scientist?

I spent some time in a computer forensics program, thinking about getting another degree, but got tired of the peripheral stuff of academia again. Worked in-house at a significant Internet company for a year, doing fraud work and developing their compliance program. ... Sorry, that's probably not an appropriate post...

The charges also resulted in Steven Powell being terminated from his job with Washington state's Corrections Department where he had worked since 2006, agency spokesman Chad Lewis said Friday.

Where did Steve work prior to 2006?

Computer nerd here.

I pulled the registration for his site...and it will come to nobody's surprise that he used a service to make it private. The registrant is Josh's former marketing company, The Polished Web. While not listed on this image, there was further data that showed the last update to the domain registry info was in May 2009.

Also, I have a program that takes screenshots of scrolling windows, so I am going to go through his site to get those for the record.

REH75.jpg

So is it good until 6May 2013? :sick:

Are you studying to be a forensic scientist?

I spent some time in a computer forensics program, thinking about getting another degree, but got tired of the peripheral stuff of academia again. Worked in-house at a significant Internet company for a year, doing fraud work and developing their compliance program. ... Sorry, that's probably not an appropriate post...

Finishing up undergrad right now, then onto an MS in Computer Engineering. End goal is computer forensics.

Sorry for quoting my own post, but I added to it.

I did not realize that PCSO had only scratched the surface in analyzing SP's computers. They just wanted to get him off the streets. Troyer also stated they are still looking at emails and IP addys and tracing them out.

Just want to observe that in some of my investigations I have been challenged on the reliability of time stamps. I'm not an expert in this area but I understand it could have to do with different time zones, websites that go down, site administrators that change things, and a whole host of other things.

Just imo from experience

Here is a very amateur attempt to provide lurkers with information about this case.

As Dom stated, I too live in Utah. I too have followed this case very closely from the beginning. I too am LDS, so when someone from our community goes missing, it is hard to not sit up and pay attention. My heart has hurt so much for Susan’s boys. I have been VERY suspicious of Josh from the beginning.

For those people who maybe lurk, but have not followed this case. Let me give you a rundown of information from the beginning:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lvv7QsyyeQCAbBf1UgeQo_zESRC28S_sYTEYBrSUr1k/edit?hl=en_US

Thank you. Very helpful.

I do have a question ,though. It's stated the babysitter called Josh until he finally answered . Did she also attempt to call Susan (cell phone ,I assume) or just Josh? I'm wondering if the babysitter immediately suspected Josh did something.

And WHERE does JP think Susan may have 'hidden her body' after she completed the act? :maddening:

IDK, but I'm betting Roy Kronk was involved. :crazy:

But seriously, perhaps Josh thinks he's telling the truth. Say he poisoned the pancakes. SHE fed them to herself with her own hand. Therefore, she killed herself. :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en