Susan Atkins wants out of jail to die...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's a good point. Piggybacking on it, I'd like to re-ask a question that Glow answered a few pages back and others have touch on in their responses:

If those closest to the victims in this case said, "No problem - grant Susan's request and release her - we are fine with it" would y'all be comfortable granting a compassionate release? I'm very interested in people's thoughts about that.

There is the crime as experienced so personally by the people who were harmed and those closest to them - that type of victimization is more "obvious". And the there is the crime as it relates to the collective we in a free society who are also harmed - left scared and suspicious, burdened and repulsed by the horror of it. Should she stay in so "we" can see "justice" to the bitter end - or would the family's desires trump society's desires?

That is a tough one. I am set in my beliefs that people should not get special treatment that are in jail especially violent offenders such as SA. On the other hand if the victims families are saying that they are okay with the release then it makes it a little easier to accept. With that being said, accepting it and thinking that its the right thing are two different things. I highly doubt anything would make me feel like she should be freed.

I think she looks a little wigged out in the eyes in her most recent mug shot. Still has that weird look, if ya know what I mean.

Susan Atkins will get more than adequate medical care for her terminal brain cancer. Unless CIW has medical facilities to house and treat a terminally ill prisoner, chances are she might die in a public hospital anyway. Chained to her bed (yup, they do that) but out of the prison anyway.

I haven't read this whole thread yet.

It floors me that this woman has the audacity to ask for this after the horrendous murders she helped commit. :furious:

If she is let out of prison to die, then shouldn't all prisoners be let out if they have been diagnosed as terminally ill? Where is the line drawn?

Is someone going to keep an eye on her to make sure she dies in the allotted 6 months? What if she lives for a few more years. Does she have to go back to prison or is she still free to live at home?

It's absurd to even consider her feelings. :furious:

Susan Adkins has spent her time in prison constantly petitioning and bringing actions against the dept of corrections, etc. I am sorry she has brain cancer, but I am not sorry she is dying in prison. She wouldn't even be alive now, since she was sentenced to death, if the Cali legislature hadn't overturned the DP in that state.

Ah..did she say she was sorry, show any remorse in that request to leave prison to die somewhere else. I don't think she did. She deserves what she got, she made a choice to murder Sharon Tate and her 8.5 month fetus....now she has to not only live with that choice but also die with that choice.

She's lived almost 40 years longer than her victims. She needs to stay put.

What's this with her defense attorney is her husband?

I just now noticed that some of the tags for this thread are scriptures from the Bible. So I looked them up.

I havent seen scriptures in tags before so I thought that was interesting.

It floors me that this woman has the audacity to ask for this after the horrendous murders she helped commit. :furious:

If she is let out of prison to die, then shouldn't all prisoners be let out if they have been diagnosed as terminally ill? Where is the line drawn?

Is someone going to keep an eye on her to make sure she dies in the allotted 6 months? What if she lives for a few more years. Does she have to go back to prison or is she still free to live at home?

Yep yep thats what I was saying.

Yeah, what she said.

fran

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she guilty of eight murders? 8 people who had their life snuffed out in horrible grusome ways, being shown no mercy? If you divide the time spent by eight, then how much time has she spent for them?
She's getting medical care and being shown mercy every day, when she passes away it will be up to a higher power to decide what mercy she deserves.

VB

I would like to state that I was wrong in saying that she should be granted a compassionate release to her family. Out of respect to the living relatives of the victims, I believe she is where she was sentenced to be and should stay for the remainder of her life.
If it had been my mother, father, son or spouse who had been murdered, I would be extremely upset if their murderer, who initially received the death penalty, was ever released because they were dying or for any other reason. It would be an insult to my loved one's memory if the penal system released her for any reason.

Thank you for allowing me to see both sides of the discussion and reach my own conclusions as to what measures provides the greater good for the majority of those who are involved personally.
Respectfully,
Maria

Very graciously said, Maria/SeekingJana.

As for being guilty of 8 murders...I believe Atkins was convicted specifically of killing Sharon Tate and her unborn child. She bragged about doing it personally to cellmates and then to a grand jury.

Would I be comfortable with someone like her being released for terminal illness, if the family of the victim thought it okay? Probably. I'd still think it was a wrong decision, but again, if it brought peace to the family and loved ones, I'd bow to their authority to make that judgment call.

And yeah, she still looks freaky in the eyes to me. Maybe that's just a Manson Family trait, when you get your photo taken, let the evil show in the eye expression.

We're all dying. This murderer just happens to know what she's dying of, and that her death will be sooner rather than later.

I just now noticed that some of the tags for this thread are scriptures from the Bible. So I looked them up.

I havent seen scriptures in tags before so I thought that was interesting.

I noticed that too, but haven't looked them up yet. I don't know which "side" they support, but you could definitely find Bible verses to support either side.

In CA, all terminally ill prisoners do have the right by law to ask for compassionate leave.

Atkins told the grand jury that she stabbed Frykowski in the legs and that she held Tate down while Watson stabbed her. She also testified that Tate had pleaded for her life and that of her unborn child, to which Atkins replied, "Woman, I have no mercy for you." She also denied her earlier statement to Howard and Graham that she had tasted Tate's blood.[citation needed] Prior to the trial, Atkins discontinued her cooperation with the prosecution and repudiated her grand jury testimony, although years later she would state that this testimony was truthful and accurate as to what transpired in the Tate home.[citation needed]

Atkins has claimed over the years that her participation in the crimes led by Manson was passive and that she didn't actually kill anyone. However, in her grand jury testimony she admits to active participation in the crimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Atkins

That's a good point. Piggybacking on it, I'd like to re-ask a question that Glow answered a few pages back and others have touch on in their responses:

If those closest to the victims in this case said, "No problem - grant Susan's request and release her - we are fine with it" would y'all be comfortable granting a compassionate release? I'm very interested in people's thoughts about that.

There is the crime as experienced so personally by the people who were harmed and those closest to them - that type of victimization is more "obvious". And the there is the crime as it relates to the collective we in a free society who are also harmed - left scared and suspicious, burdened and repulsed by the horror of it. Should she stay in so "we" can see "justice" to the bitter end - or would the family's desires trump society's desires?
I am offended that Atkins would even request to be released... again.. her duty is to die in prison.

That said, if all of her victims families want her to die on the outside, then I would be okay with it. As long as she really was dying, and was no threat to society.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she guilty of eight murders? 8 people who had their life snuffed out in horrible grusome ways, being shown no mercy? If you divide the time spent by eight, then how much time has she spent for them?
She's getting medical care and being shown mercy every day, when she passes away it will be up to a higher power to decide what mercy she deserves.

VB
----------
Aw come on~ she deserves out~~~in a pine box!! I remember the smirk on her face,someone writing on a wall in blood! None of them ever deserve a minute out from behind the bars!! She made her bed~now let her lie in it..An innocent baby for gods sake.Nore

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back