Suspect #2: Mark Smich *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 22 May 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else know if MS was ever on the FB pages of DM or any of his friends/associates? I don't recall seeing his name or face prior to his arrest.

Obviously DM knew Smich (i.e. the car pic outside MS's home), but wondering if their relationship was based on something other than friendship and was kept separate and apart from DM's more traditional relationships.

There was a Websleuths member who said he/she had sleuthed out MS prior to his arrest. I've always wondered how that connection was made.

The extra security could have been two-fold - not only to keep control of an accused murderer, but to protect the accused from an angry public. I doubt MS would have more security than DM - they both just had more security than your average offender appearing in court, and thus the reporters comments.

Posted by Nursesleuth previous thread.
BBM
Totally off topic...... Isn't it possible that DM was adopted?? He is on this website that is often used to seek out birth families. Has that been confirmed?? http://www.genebase.com/node/f67215b7bb

I have touched on this previously and had given many reasons why I feel it's a possibility Nurse. Taking into account his father's age when DM was born, 44, his mother was a flight attendant and sometimes they chose not to have children because of their career choice, not being home a lot. Someone mentioned they thought DM looked too much like his father in his early years. I am not sure what his ethnic background is, to me it appears some aboriginal? Anyone know any different? Some articles are written as if he was born to WM and MB. Could it have been a "family secret"? Did WM have a sibling/relative who may have decided to put her child up for adoption and WM and MB adopted DM? He was named after his grandmother according to one report I read. I still believe it could be a possibility he was adopted. I guess anything is possible. Did DM find out this was the case and became bitter? I know a young lady who was adopted by her grandparents and still to this day she does not know her brother is actually her bio father. Myself I think it is unfair the grandparents have never told her the truth. We may never know in DM's situation. And yes to me it is odd he entered his info on this site. JMO

This website is also used to find relatives/ ancestors. I don't think DM is adopted because I do think he looks very much like his father and grandfather. IMO

If he resisted arrest? Also I know he lives in Halton but was it Halton police or Hamilton police that nabbed him? If Hamilton police who'd been on the case for 2 weeks already, I can see them scuffing him up. The wounds didn't appear severe. For heavens sake my arm is black and blue from a little hook sticking out of a door frame 4 days ago. It doesn't take much and if questioned they'd say "he resisted arrest".

But you could be right.

When a full TRU/SWAT tactical team has to fight or "scuffle" with a suspect on a take down, something is seriously lacking in their training and execution.

A high risk take down is all about quick neutralization of any and all ability to resist. Any thing less is cause for concern.

However I don't believe that MS was injured in jail, he would likely have been isolated from the general population.

JMO

I'm also still surprised by the coincidence (?) that he retained a lawyer that has previously defended two murder cases where the victims were burned.

I wonder who helped MS retain his legal counsel and who is funding it?? His family home appears to suggest a middle-class upbringing. I can see DM having the contacts and funds to research and fund his case with a strong defense team but not MS. Does anyone know if a high profile law firm would reach out to him to do the case at a reduced rate for notoriety? I have no idea of how this would work so would love some insight?

When a full TRU/SWAT tactical team has to fight or "scuffle" with a suspect on a take down, something is seriously lacking in their training and execution.

A high risk take down is all about quick neutralization of any and all ability to resist. Any thing less is cause for concern.

However I don't believe that MS was injured in jail, he would likely have been isolated from the general population.

JMO

Always great and logical insight, thanks Archangel. I should clarify I don't think they have to or need to rough him up a bit, but depending on the circumstances between arrest, questioning and jail, one may have just wanted to and followed through. Maybe I watch too much tv.

Was that MS on the steamer community profile? I thought the other steam gamer was AM as st**lthmissions.

Sorry for the late reply silly billy the answer is yes and AM was part of that group.

Riddle me this: who decides that DM can be in isolation for 23.5 hours of the day (as reported by DP)? Who decides he needs extra protection? Can one pay for solitary confinement, like a private room in a hospital? Or does LE make this decision?

Didn't the Star report MS is with the general population?

Sorry for the late reply silly billy the answer is yes and AM was part of that group.

Oh and I believe smich's graffiti accomplice was also sleuthed as being part of that. Earlier threads on WS.

Riddle me this: who decides that DM can be in isolation for 23.5 hours of the day (as reported by DP)? Who decides he needs extra protection? Can one pay for solitary confinement, like a private room in a hospital? Or does LE make this decision?

I previously posted this in the DM suspect thread but it may help answer your questions.

Administrative segregation is a form of confinement that offenders may enter voluntarily or involuntarily.

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/rsrch/briefs/b39/b39-eng.shtml

Much more at link^

Always great and logical insight, thanks Archangel. I should clarify I don't think they have to or need to rough him up a bit, but depending on the circumstances between arrest, questioning and jail, one may have just wanted to and followed through. Maybe I watch too much tv.

No you are assuming reasonably. Cops are human too and it takes an almost inhumane amount of self discipline to remain professional most times. IMO this is the kind of case that really touches cops, just as it has us.

Personally I suspect he may have been given a "screen test," after all we know he was considered a "movie star" anyway.:floorlaugh: JMO and MOO of course.

Generally, a pretrial detainee will be kept away from other prisoners and are not roomed with a convict. Some facilities and countries differ however.

Generally, if they have a record and ask to participate in activities and share cells, they will be in general contact with convicts.

I do not know the exact policy for either center that DM,MS are in.

I see Coldpizza has already responded. Thanks for that info CP.

JMO and MOO

rsbm

What stands out in my mind is how the danger to the public was still out there after DM was arrested, but once MS was arrested, there was no longer considered to be a danger to the public, even though a third person had not been found. Also, the differences in the arrests. DM was followed for a few hours, then quietly arrested. MS was arrested with a 10 person tactical team and possible tear gas. There was even extra security brought in for his first court appearance and he was brought in in leg irons. I have to wonder if there's more to MS's story than we know.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2882879-second-arrest-made-in-tim-bosma-murder/

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3236885-clairmont-accused-bosma-killer-cowers-in-court/

First, having worked in a jail, it's common practice for inmates in PC, to be shackled by the legs. Also if they've been violent with themselves or others, while in custody, or if they are a threat to the public, or the public are a threat to them.

Second, to another comment (I don't know how to quote both). Inmates can be put in SC/PC, either at their own accord, or by law enforcement. It can be to protect themselves, have LE to protect them from being "offed", or to protect the case and not allow the inmate to make "connections", while in custody.

I wonder who helped MS retain his legal counsel and who is funding it?? His family home appears to suggest a middle-class upbringing. I can see DM having the contacts and funds to research and fund his case with a strong defense team but not MS. Does anyone know if a high profile law firm would reach out to him to do the case at a reduced rate for notoriety? I have no idea of how this would work so would love some insight?

Im going to guess his sister has connections, purely MOO but she is in the media and MAY have many inside connections.

I also wonder if this is why there is such a low profile of media coverage for Smich, due to respect for his sister.

... still believe Chop Shop / Biker / Running drugs operation. Must be bigger fish at the top, because these peons are the low life grunts. Like another poster said "I wonder if badges were involved"?

I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyFinch
... still believe Chop Shop / Biker / Running drugs operation. Must be bigger fish at the top, because these peons are the low life grunts. Like another poster said "I wonder if badges were involved"?
I agree 100%.

I agree 100%.

Oddly, neither the Insurance Bureau of Canada nor Kanetix even list a Ram product in the top ten stolen in Alberta, Ontario, Atlantic provinces or Quebec or the last several years.

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/Top_Ten_Stolen_Cars/

http://www.kanetix.ca/10-most-stolen-cars-in-Canada

Which seems to point to a possible chop shop, personal use, or drug sort of event/motive. IMO

Originally Posted by AddyFinch View Post

I agree 100%.

Or former badges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members