Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
At the hearing ... the father said hello to his daughter when he entered the courtroom but she ignored his overture.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20140304/NJNEWS/303050010/

Right before court adjourned, the judge waxed poetic on how the birth of a child is a great gift and Elizabeth Canning nodded her head in agreement. [The Judge] told Rachel of her parents, “They’re always going to be your parents,” but she shook her head.

__

she deserves nothing!! :cursing:

I don;t know. I hope you're right but I kind of think this girl's life has been ruined by this. It will never go away. Someone posted a great LA Times article about this upthread [THANKS!!!] and it talked about that very thing - the age of permanency with the internet, etc. And how she will always be known as the girl who sued her parents.

The family that helped her file this should be ashamed. Like others have said, they should've worked to get the family together again, tried to encourage counseling, etc. It doesn't even look like any of them talked to this gal's parents, parent -to- parent - like "Hey, what's going on here?"

That disturbs me, how quick they were to sue instead of resolve. That girl is 18. She could not foresee, at her age, the magnitude of such a lawsuit and how a lawsuit involving a super novel (attempted) application of the law, parental rights, money, entitlement, etc., would be international news and cause a firestorm of reaction, mostly negative.

But her friend's lawyer father could. He was well able to foresee what was going to happen.

And while no one will remember the attorney, they will remember the girl. What a scoundrel. How dare a parent, a father, advise a young person, not yet out of high school, to undertake so dangerous a course - one that has ramifications she could not hope to grasp?

What a you know what.

The papers were filed on Feb 21... this hit the media like a storm....I wonder who made sure a tiny, family law, emergency hearing went viral....

Just a little back story on the lawyer footing the bill. iirc
Usually on Attack, U.S. Attorney in Newark Finds Himself on the Defensive

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/nyregion/13christie.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Yet one of the biggest no-bid contracts to come out of the investigation was for the monitor itself: Mr. Christie appointed the law firm of John Inglesino, a Republican who served as a Morris County freeholder from 2001 to 2007, and Herbert Stern, a former United States attorney, whom he has described as a mentor. Mr. Christie was also a freeholder, from 1995 to 1997. Their firm ultimately billed the state for more than $10 million.

I'd be sad if this ends up as a nail in Christies coffin though....

more about Inglesino:

Inglesino was named one of the Top 100 “powerful people” in New Jersey by Politicker NJ for 2013. Inglesino serves as township attorney for Parsippany, planning board attorney for Morristown and Florham Park, special counsel to Lopatcong and Rahway, and as general counsel to the Morris County Insurance Fund. The managing partner at the Parsippany law firm of Inglesino, Wyciskala & Taylor, Inglesino also represents many of New Jersey’s largest developers. Inglesino has been an ally and financial contributor to Gov. Chris Christie, who in 2012 appointed him to the state's Education Funding Task Force.

Did this guy think that any press is better than no press? What was supposed to be his next move? IS THAT what this is all about? If it is, I hope this guy goes down for it.

yeah. There is a picture of Lawyer Dad with Gov. Christie on Mrs. Inglesino's fb page. Says they've been friends for a long time....

Gov. Christie’s School Funding Task Force exists to eradicate abuse and fraud from New Jersey’s education system, explains the Common Sense Institute of New Jersey. Its goals are to study the use of free and reduced school lunches as a way of determining “at-risk” students and, generally, to pinpoint parts of the state’s school-funding formula that are subject to fraud.

Nothing in his lengthy biography suggests that he has any expertise in education. The word “education” is, in fact, completely absent.
http://iwt-law.com/john-p-inglesino

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/05/l...suing-parents-for-college-cash/#ixzz2vDa5qDnH

the attorney friend representing her and coddling her is a real slime ball . why is he not being held accountable for his criminal actions? is there nothing the parents can do, like counter-sue?

The millionaire attorney funding a ‘spoiled’ cheerleader’s lawsuit against her own parents let the teenager drink in his house, threw ‘alcoholic parties’ and apparently allowed her to have her first drop of booze, according to court documents.
When Rachel Canning was a 15-year-old freshman she got so drunk on vodka at Jon Inglesino’s home that she was sick all over the sidewalk and into a garbage can after her dad Sean picked her up for a basketball game.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-paying-fees-threw-garbage-claim-mom-dad.html

So if Mr. Ingelsino got a lawyer friend to actually be the attorney - does anyone know who that guy is???? (And why he would commit career suicide for Ingelsino???) JMO

ETA: wait! Is that the lady Lawyer????

"Rachel’s attorney, Tanya Helfand, gave a lengthy presentation to the judge about how Rachel is entitled to financial support and access to her college fund because she is in the process of receiving acceptance letters and needs to make a decision. Her main choices are the University of Vermont and the University of Delaware."

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20140304/NJNEWS/303050010/?nclick_check=1

Sorry. I've got it together now!

Hmmm . . . the man (attorney) involved in this seems like some entitled, arrognant !#&*?$#. But somehow I don't think his political connections with influence are going to get anywhere near this clusterF.

I would be amazed if the parents have to pay for her college other than anything possibly already set aside in her name, and possibly the remaining high school tuition and child support until she graduates high school. I don't understand the political or legal motivations here unless it is to gain the reputation of setting a legal precedent.

This young ADULT woman is clearly, horribly out of control. I also doubt she is as "bright" as stated. Her GPA is in the 3.5 range? When the "bright" hardworking kids are now graduating with 4.5's in their desperate quests to get into college, hopefully with scholarships? Okay then.

And yes, in her photos during the hearing she appears to not have one scintilla of remorse, sadness, fear - she looks like she feels very arrogantly superior. She knows she is hurting her parents and it is her "gotcha". She is enjoying every minute of it. (Her wearing her Catholic high school uniform in court is so contrived and staged. They are trying to conjure up the image of a little elementary schooler with saddle shoes.)

(Unfortunately, I think, as young as she is, she thinks people are doing this for her because they "care". I don't believe for a moment anyone here - other than the parents - are without their own, personal, motivations. And they aren't about her.)

JMO!

Just repeating link w pdf of some ct-docs to date, totaling 93 pp.
http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rachel-canning.pdf

pdf
page#...Date...........Doc.
1 ........ Feb 26 ......Ct order denying Applctn to Show Cause-----(Sorry Rachel)
2 ........ Feb 24 ......Civil Action to Show Cause, Emergent Application.
4 ........ Feb 24 ......Civil Action, Verified Complaint --------------(Petition)
8......... Feb 24... ...Certification of Rachel ---------------------(her recital of events, w 24 paragraphs)
16 ...... Feb 24........Certification of Rachel ---------------------(dau's recital of events, w 24 paragraphs)

24....... Feb 28.........Brief Opposing App/OSC------------------- (filed by parents atty)
25.............................prelim stmt
26 ............................statement of facts
28.............................Pt I = Not Emergent Situation
31 ............................Pt II = She is Emancipated
37 ............................Pt III = Relief w/Shock Conscience of Ct, Undermine Parent, Reward Bad Behavior by child

40 ......Feb 28 ..........Certification of Elizabeth------------------(Mama's recital of events, 79 paragraphs)
61...........................Attachmts re ^ ...voice mail, DCPP letters, emails
67 ......Feb 28...........Certification of Sean ---------------------(Papa's recital of events, 80 paragraphs)
87 ........................Attachmts re ^... emails, DCPP letters, more email

Pls PM me of any corrections or clarifications, so I can edit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your hard work al66pine!

I think what Mr Inglesino has done is going to backfire on him, big time. I can't see many parents agreeing with what this man did- a criminal yes but logical, rational parents and grandparents NO! I think he is going to regret the day he ever decided to let that girl stay and especially the day he decided it would be a good idea to file this lawsuit. I, for one, will be glad for it.

A bit OT - but I would LOVE to see this whole thing on Steven Colbert or Jon Stewart. I bet they would focus on Mr Inglesino....:please:

BBM SBM for focus

Let's see,
- drinking at school event.............................................check
- suspended from school...............................................check
- driving without a license.............................................check
- stopped multiple times for speeding...............................check
- multiple underage drinking occurences............................check
- defying curfew multiple times/habitually .........................check
- plans drinking party while parents out of town................check
- steals money from mother .........................................check
- refuses for follow parental rules on many issues...............check

What have I missed?
ETA: Refuses counseling or therapy..................................check
- won't take Rx...........................................................check

A teen destined to become a model citizen and contrib'g member of society? Or ____?

Lol-maybe the Inglesinos have a different standard for what constitutes a good kid; maybe Rachel acts like their daughter, and they just give her what she wants, so there's no explosive antics.

pdf
1 ........ Feb 26 ......Ct order denying Applctn to Show Cause-----(Sorry Rachel)
4 ........ Feb 24 ......Civil Action, Verified Complaint --------------(Petition)
8......... Feb 24... ...Certification of Rachel ---------------------(her recital of events, w 24 paragraphs)
16 ...... Feb 24........Certification of Rachel ---------------------(dau's recital of events, w 24 paragraphs)

24....... Feb 28.........Brief Opposing App/OSC------------------- (filed by parents atty)
37 ............................Pt III = Relief w/Shock Conscience of Ct, Undermine Parent, Reward Bad Behavior by child

40 ......Feb 28 ..........Certification of Elizabeth------------------(Mama's recital of events, 79 paragraphs)
67 ......Feb 28...........Certification of Sean ---------------------(Papa's recital of events, 80 paragraphs)

Hope this helps.

Court Order, dated March 5, 2014

http://www.dailyrecord.com/assets/pdf/C021939435.PDF

BBM SBM for focus

Let's see,
- drinking at school event.............................................check
- suspended from school...............................................check
- driving without a license.............................................check
- refuses for follow parental rules on many issues...............check

What have I missed?
- won't take Rx...........................................................check

A teen destined to become a model citizen and contrib'g member of society? Or ____?

Telling her mother shed like to defecate on her moms face. Add that. Real peach.

Telling her mother shed like to defecate on her moms face. Add that. Real peach.

I rarely jump on the "serious mental illness" bandwagon here since I'm not a mental health professional and it sometimes feels like those conclusions are jumped to way too freely. This girl, however, I really do believe could have a serious disorder of the disturbing variety. Like I said up thread, if she were mine, I'd have a hard time wanting her home -- especially with two younger sibs.

jmo

Mar 6, adding to list at top, most recent entries.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/assets/pdf/C021939435.PDF
pdf
p #...date........Document
1.....Mar 5 ......Order, no immed $ to Rachel, parents to maintain h/c ins & college fds,
.....................Ap 21, 3pm. private conference re ch sup. h/s tuition, college exp
....................Ap 22, 9am hearing re ^^^
....................explore fam counseling
.................... 10 days pre-Ap22, file legal briefs on emancipation, constructive abandonmt, h.s tuition File witness list, exhibits & list.
..................... w'in 2 wks, provide info re $college fund and current income

pdf

Hope this helps.

ETA: If anyone has idea of better format (universally accessible) for above, pls PM me.

Let's see,
- drinking at school event............................................. check
- suspended from school............................................ ...check
- driving without a license........................................... ..check
- refuses to follow parental rules on many issues...............check

What have I missed?
- won't take Rx................................................ ...........check
ETA-says she wants to defecte in mother's face................check (TYVM, gitana1)

In skimming parent's certifications, did I overlook allegation of Rachel's fibbing?

I hope the judge orders her to get help. One of these days she could pull a JA on a BF when she doesnt get her way. I wonder if the family that is enabling her now will stand by her then if something dreadful like that happened?

Karmady, I really loved the way you phrased that. I think you could be right!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayericson1026
Back