Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I see what you're seeing! Thank you.

See Otto's post #1038 for the clear camera picture outside of Tempo. It doesn't seem to carry over when I reply and include it. Now I am trying to figure out what business owns this camera.

Someone was asking for this picture. This is the camera on the next building over from Tempo. Thank you Otto for making it so clear. The links I posted are used as a reference point from Tempo to the adjacent business/ building. I have tried to zoom in on the storefront on that business but can't determine the name. I'll post it here and maybe you guys can figure it out. :)

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2fb3tqz1wmti6z2muzr8z2u

Today, it looks like the main floor is occupied by Top Knot.

Attachments

• camera2.jpg
    camera2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 186
See Otto's post #1038 for the clear camera picture outside of Tempo. It doesn't seem to carry over when I reply and include it. Now I am trying to figure out what business owns this camera.

Migration: The Gallery is a business at 119 5th St SE. Tempo is at 117 5th St SE so presumably the art gallery is next door, IMO.

Here's an interesting photo I found that shows what appears to be an alley adjacent to Tempo that cuts through to the next street (a Stop sign is visible further into the photo):
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...aurant-october-2-2014-in-news-photo/456557788

The downward-facing street lamp shown in this photo appears elsewhere in a WS HG thread (I just saw it within the past hour, but cannot locate it at the moment. Someone--otto?-- showed a close-up of this light fixture, in discussing whether it may have been a camera.)

There is an ally behind tempo....its on Water street...if you are on the google street view of tempo, and walk yourself toward water street, and turn right...you can see an ally right there...i can't get an angle farh enough back to notice any doors, but I'm guessing that's where tempo puts their trash, so there's likely a back door.

It could go to the kitchen though, so it might be unlikely he snuck her through the kitchen, then again Tempo likely stopped serving food at 10 or 11, so the kitchen staff would have been long gone....it could have been an ideal place to sneak her in, or sneak out a beer.

There is an ally behind tempo....its on Water street...if you are on the google street view of tempo, and walk yourself toward water street, and turn right...you can see an ally right there...i can't get an angle farh enough back to notice any doors, but I'm guessing that's where tempo puts their trash, so there's likely a back door.

It could go to the kitchen though, so it might be unlikely he snuck her through the kitchen, then again Tempo likely stopped serving food at 10 or 11, so the kitchen staff would have been long gone....it could have been an ideal place to sneak her in, or sneak out a beer.

More importantly, that same alley exits on 4th St (behind Tempo) which is a dark street with a bank and credit union, both of which would be closed that night. It's quite possible that's where Jesse walked with Hannah to get to his car. Parking it on 4th St would make it less noticeable than at most places. With banks there, surely there are security cameras. Perhaps that's where LE saw Jesse in his car. JMO

I think it is extraordinary that no one who knew HG ever said she had a boyfriend,was seeing someone,used any drugs;all we know is she was a loving daughter,got straight A's,played sports, and was in the high school band. Usually friends will say something about the person they knew. Yet we heard nothing. So why was she downtown that night? she had to have been looking for someone she thought would be there. You don't have to track down someone to get drugs,everyone knows who uses,or sells. It feels like she was purposely hunting someone,her walk,run,etc depicts her looking. She didn't have a purse;but she probably had her ID,room key,and we know her phone. She was dressed to draw attention (sequined top). She probably had new roommates ,school was just starting. Who were her closest friends? They should know why she went downtown. Just some observations.

I think she drank too much and got turned around, ended up at the mall with a phone with low batteries, didn't botther to bring a purse, id or money. Was dressed to just party hop in the Corner where the place is teeming with UVA students. First year off campus, figured that the student off campus area, was simiilar to the dorms in that it's all UVA, all safe.

Ran into a honey voiced JM, who asked her what's wrong, offered her a ride, and she figured that was the answer to her problems. She's tired, intoxicated, upset, stressed, doesn't want to attempt the walk back. A cold beer before the ride sounded great, and something in it knocked her woozy, She was unlucky to encounter a serial rapist and murderer. Odds were unfortunately good for to run into some creep who would hit on her, maybe drug her or rape her--lots of such predators out there, but she found that monster who killed the victim after all that instead of just dumping her off in some alley to wake up with hardly a memory of what happened.

I think LE has a good idea, as do her friends what happened from cell phone messages. I think she was in touch with them. LE has said as much. I also think they were as blitzed or more than she was, and so in no condition to help her out, nor did they feel inclined to do so. Certainly in no shape to drive to get her. May not have gotten some of her calls and messages as they would have been busy partying.

To me that that's the simplest scenario. I'm sure LE has gone through her computer accounts and things with a fine tooth comb. She really hadn't been back to Charlottesville for long, as the term had just begun. First apartment, newly off campus. No, I don't think she knew JM, nor did she know that mall area well at all. From all we've been told by UVA students, it's not a usual venue for undergraduates, and she did not look like she was comfortable there.

Can't prove any scenario 100%, but I think some are more likely than others.

I had seen a post on the Find Hannah... FB page from someone who sounded like a roommate/friend that knew her from their freshman year. She had listed quite a few good memories of HG, some personal stuff about going to Starbucks and the spelling of her name, about taking pictures first thing in the morning, and a few other things I can't recall. When I went back to see it again, the post was gone. Her friends must have been asked not to say anything about her publicly.

I read an on-line article a few weeks ago which included an interview with JM's high school wrestling coach. It has since disappeared from the WWW.

More importantly, that same alley exits on 4th St (behind Tempo) which is a dark street with a bank and credit union, both of which would be closed that night. It's quite possible that's where Jesse walked with Hannah to get to his car. Parking it on 4th St would make it less noticeable than at most places. With banks there, surely there are security cameras. Perhaps that's where LE saw Jesse in his car. JMO

I thought the witness from Tempo said HG and JM left heading back toward the DM.

The door opening into the alley would have been locked before the kitchen staff left IMO.

Every restaurant Ive ever worked at had a back door that opened onto an alley or a dumpster and invariably they were locked except between the hours of 2-4pm for deliveries (restaurants slow hours) and to let employees out the back to smoke after the dinner or lunch rush.

It would have also been opened at the end of the night to allow the bar and service staff to take out the trash.

Its possible JLM came though there but highly unlikely in my opinion.

Restaurants know the back door is a potential point of entry and robbery and safeguard against entry by non-restaurant staff.

Most have panoramic peepholes installed at the point of entry as well as a buzzer and sometimes closed circuit cameras as well.

Many of these doors are one-way. Meaning you cant even open them from the outside. Theres a bar that has to be pushed from the inside to open.....unless you have a set of keys.

Then theres also sometimes alarms to have to be turned off before opening the back door. Ive set a few of these off, much to my chagrin, in the past as I rushed outside to smoke.

Thats to safeguard against strangers walking inside AND to prevent employees from walking out the back with a case of meat or kegs of beer.

The door opening into the alley would have been locked before the kitchen staff left IMO.

Every restaurant Ive ever worked at had a back door that opened onto an alley or a dumpster and invariably they were locked except between the hours of 2-4pm for deliveries (restaurants slow hours) and to let employees out the back to smoke after the dinner or lunch rush.

It would have also been opened at the end of the night to allow the bar and service staff to take out the trash.

Except that she may have been tucked away in there while he was in the bar, and that's why no one else saw her there (but, there may be beau coup eye-witness accounts that we just haven't heard about). I can't believe the door person was the only one who saw HG at Tempo--whether it was inside or outside.

Yep, that looks like a camera all right!

Camera doesn't mean footage. Surprising how many are not kept operational. Or focused on a certain area crucial to the owner, that may not cover foot traffic.

Today, it looks like the main floor is occupied by Top Knot.

Thanks Otto! Next question.. I wonder if they provided LE with any footage? The camera looks like it has a clear shot of Tempo's entrance where Hannah was supposedly hanging around out front at times. It would be interesting to see the latter timeframe.

You guys are the BEST!

Restaurants know the back door is a potential point of entry and robbery and safeguard against entry by non-restaurant staff.

Most have panoramic peepholes installed at the point of entry as well as a buzzer and sometimes closed circuit cameras as well.

Many of these doors are one-way. Meaning you cant even open them from the outside. Theres a bar that has to be pushed from the inside to open.....unless you have a set of keys.

Then theres also sometimes alarms to have to be turned off before opening the back door. Ive set a few of these off, much to my chagrin, in the past as I rushed outside to smoke.

Thats to safeguard against strangers walking inside AND to prevent employees from walking out the back with a case of meat or kegs of beer.

I can totally picture the type of door you are describing. But I know the place I worked at in Cville didn't have a back door with anything close to the special security features you are describing.

Tempo may have had a more professional back door, but knowing bars in Cville I can also see it being surprisingly lax.

I don't know how likely either of them where to use that back door. But one scenario I could see...is if after JM got the two beers, he was able to go through the highly crowded bar, to the back door...and slip Hannah into Tempo that way. Despite staff, I think the crowd may have allowed for this scenario.

It would be easier to theorize, if we knew for sure where that door went, and what Tempos layout is.

Here's an interesting photo I found that shows what appears to be an alley adjacent to Tempo that cuts through to the next street (a Stop sign is visible further into the photo):
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...aurant-october-2-2014-in-news-photo/456557788

The downward-facing street lamp shown in this photo appears elsewhere in a WS HG thread (I just saw it within the past hour, but cannot locate it at the moment. Someone--otto?-- showed a close-up of this light fixture, in discussing whether it may have been a camera.)

This isn't an alley; the photo is looking down 5th street directly in front of the entrance of Tempo. The light fixture is a public street lamp. As it doesn't seem that Charlottesville has any public cameras, it's doubtful that there is a camera attached to it. The street lamps may be recently installed since they don't appear in the Street View photo from just in front of Tempo, but do appear if you move in Street View to the corner of 5th and Water St.

Edited to add:
Streetlamps aren't visible here: http://www.instantstreetview.com/2fb3tqz1wmti6z1y1zokz2u
But are here: http://www.instantstreetview.com/2fb3mnz1wmtegz2crzlqz0

This isn't an alley; the photo is looking down 5th street directly in front of the entrance of Tempo. The light fixture is a public street lamp. As it doesn't seem that Charlottesville has any public cameras, it's doubtful that there is a camera attached to it. The street lamps may be recently installed since they don't appear in the Street View photo from just in front of Tempo, but do appear if you move in Street View to the corner of 5th and Water St.

Edited to add:
Streetlamps aren't visible here: http://www.instantstreetview.com/2fb3tqz1wmti6z1y1zokz2u
But are here: http://www.instantstreetview.com/2fb3mnz1wmtegz2crzlqz0

There is a camera outside Tempo, the streetlamp was used only as a reference point. Otto has a great picture of it.. Otto?

I hope this helps. LE would certainly be aware of it. Its to the right of Tempo.

See post #1063 and #1038 - Thanks Otto!

Here's the photo of the camera

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 169
Here's the camera in context of the street:

Attachments

• camera2.jpg
    camera2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 168

Members online