Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If Hannah's last text was at 1:06 and "she was lost at 14th and wertland". Notice what's nearby on the map link...UVA School of Nursing

http://goo.gl/maps/W04UG

I would think just based on the timeframe she, and her phone, were still at Tempo, or she was just leaving there. Another report said "I am coming to a party but I am lost". Perhaps she was leaving tempo with JLM, disoriented, the drug was kicking in and she was asking for help from her friends? JMO

http://wtvr.com/2014/09/17/police-now-think-hannah-grahams-last-text-listed-incorrect-location/

http://www.c-ville.com/hannah-graham-tracking-investigation-far/#.VFlrMhybXls

From the article above:

1:06am Saturday, September 13: Graham makes contact with friends for the last time, sending a text message telling them she’s lost in the area of Wertland Street—a mile and a half from where she actually was. (Police initially said that message was sent at 1:20am.) In the next two minutes, two more security cameras capture images of her walking east on the Mall, half a mile from the Shell station. The first is outside Sal’s Caffe Italia (4), the second a block east at Tuel Jewelers. A white male is briefly seen following her. Also visible in the footage is a heavyset black man with dreadlocks dressed in what appears to be a white shirt and shorts. Witnesses later report spotting Graham at Mall restaurant Tempo with the dreadlocked man not long after. It’s the last sighting of her.

I think the video in Tempo and outside of Tempo are critical. We know there are outside cameras of the next building over, Otto has a great pic, I'll bet they have inside cameras as well, especially for liability. JMO

My question to Hambirg is how she's come to the conclusion that if Hannah's last text was at 1:06 then that means Hannah didn't have her phone. I can't figure that one out.

I know we were told that Hannah was never inside Tempo, and we figure it may be CYA on the part of the staff, but at what hour would she no longer have been allowed inside? Or would she have been even after they stopped serving food? As a restaurant, surely anyone could go in to eat. I can see the staff insisting that she was not served any drinks inside, but unless she would not have even been allowed in at that hour, I can't see the need for them to lie if she had indeed been inside. And if she would not have been allowed in, how do they get underage restaurant patrons out by a certain time? Kinda rude just to say eat and get out, imo.

I know we were told that Hannah was never inside Tempo, and we figure it may be CYA on the part of the staff, but at what hour would she no longer have been allowed inside? Or would she have been even after they stopped serving food? As a restaurant, surely anyone could go in to eat. I can see the staff insisting that she was not served any drinks inside, but unless she would not have even been allowed in at that hour, I can't see the need for them to lie if she had indeed been inside. And if she would not have been allowed in, how do they get underage restaurant patrons out by a certain time? Kinda rude just to say eat and get out, imo.

If they do not serve any food after 10pm (can they do this in VA, serve only alcohol?) then they can and must prevent entrance to anyone under drinking age, as a rule. If they were a part of a dinner party, I am sure they can stay past ten at table if they are stilling dining, but would be told that no one under twenty-one could proceed on into the bar. Not sure about places that serve both alcohol and some food after ten-I think minors are allowed. But just going by states I have lived in, and using 10pm as an example. Jmo

Some bars that I have been to purposely set the clocks ahead a few minutes . It helps to get customers safely OUT before the legal closing time. Last Call for Alcohol usually generates a flurry of last minute drink orders.
"Running a Tab".... I used to frequent a few bars where I had a "Tab", I could generally drink for a week or two with my total number of Blitz -Weinhard beers casually jotted down on a piece of paper by the bartender. Those days are gone............ Nowadays you would just hand your credit card to the server , and settle up at the end of the evening. SO... it is hard to know if the drinks charged at 1:10 ish , were fresh or closing the tab.
I do believe that Hannah was INSIDE Tempo , at LEAST to use the restroom. I refuse to believe that there was ANOTHER WOMAN wearing the same crop top that night at Tempo . Not likely

" I was Born On A Barstool , I know my place , My eyes are well adjusted to this smoky neon haze".... The Okie Drifters , Earl Sandidge RIP Earl

BBM. Coy Barefoot's timeline of the evening (quoted below) clearly states that, according to Tempo staff, JLM ordered and paid for new drinks at 1:10. He was new to Tempo, and paying as he ordered. He would not have been allowed to keep a tab, imo.

"What is not contested is the fact that LJ Matthew used his Visa a second time that evening at Tempo. According to the records that were shared with me by Cunningham, LJ ordered two drinks at 1:09am and paid for them exactly one minute later. The bartender rang them up at $7 a piece. Witnesses with whom I spoke do not recall whether they were beers or mixed drinks or one of each. And no one I spoke with recalls watching LJ drink one or both of those drinks. Nor does anyone recall him taking them outside to share with someone."

BBM. Coy Barefoot's timeline of the evening (quoted below) clearly states that, according to Tempo staff, JLM ordered and paid for new drinks at 1:10. He was new to Tempo, and paying as he ordered. He would not have been allowed to keep a tab, imo.

"What is not contested is the fact that LJ Matthew used his Visa a second time that evening at Tempo. According to the records that were shared with me by Cunningham, LJ ordered two drinks at 1:09am and paid for them exactly one minute later. The bartender rang them up at $7 a piece. Witnesses with whom I spoke do not recall whether they were beers or mixed drinks or one of each. And no one I spoke with recalls watching LJ drink one or both of those drinks. Nor does anyone recall him taking them outside to share with someone."

I don't understand why you would think that he wouldn't be allowed to keep a tab. Every bar I have ever been into, even for the first time, when you order a drink, and hand over your card they say " do want to keep this open of settle". I'd imagine tempo to be the same.

Here is a link with an interview btw Coy Barefoot and. Clinical psychologist regarding JM....they also get into safety, and college drinking .... Including "power hour" which I was going to bring up long ago but thought I'd get chastised for. Work listening to,

http://insidecville.com/city/fracher-nov4/

Curtesy of SolVol.

If Hannah's last text was at 1:06, why would that mean she didn't have her phone?

Well, I'm going by the time stamp on the Sal's video. Hannah clearly isn't texting. She's not holding her phone or putting it in her pocket. While she could have sent the text shortly before appearing on video, I just don't think that's likely. I think the phone would still be in her hand if she did.

Hmmm. She could have had her phone if it was sent at 1:06....if she was just trying to buy herself some time from her friends but didn't want to tell them where she was, perhaps she could have sent that text from the DM just before meeting up with JM. Just a thought.

See above.

Wow Hambirg! That's a great summary! if I have any other questions you're my guy! Really good work. :)

With regards to "going into the pub", I have watched and rewatched a few different videos of McGrady's, I don't see that she ever got in.

Do I think she got into Tempo? Yes. Are there cameras at Tempo? Yes right outside. Otto posted a great one last night.

Why do you think that LE has suppressed or rather not released this information? I can't wait to hear your answer! :)

I guess, in short, they didn't need too. What would be LE's motivation for releasing it? They got the search warrant they needed. There is no reason to release more information than necessary to move the investigation along.

My question to Hambirg is how she's come to the conclusion that if Hannah's last text was at 1:06 then that means Hannah didn't have her phone. I can't figure that one out.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. And yes, it doesn't mean for sure that Hannah couldn't have sent a text at 1:06am. I just find it highly unlikely for the reasons I stated above.

In the videos, I think Hannah seemed to be headed somewhere with determination. Not just casually roaming about or lost. What about the possibility she was headed to Tempo all on her own? Obviously, it would have been to either meet someone or looking for someone.

I don't understand why you would think that he wouldn't be allowed to keep a tab. Every bar I have ever been into, even for the first time, when you order a drink, and hand over your card they say " do want to keep this open of settle". I'd imagine tempo to be the same.

Yes, of course it's possible they'd keep a tab open for someone. But according to staff, that's not what occurred in this case. I imagine it varies from venue to venue. In NYC, where bars / clubs often have high volume and a lot of turnover, it's not unusual to pay and tip as one orders. Bar or table seating is different, b/c then it's expected one will settle prior to leaving like in a restaurant.

Tempo, if I understand correctly, turned into more of a nightclub with dancing late at night, which makes it harder to keep track of people. Just imo.

Does anyone else think it's a little strange that there are very detailed recollections about JLM (arriving alone, dancing, being obnoxious, very sweaty, bumming cigs) and his drinks purchase (3 shots of bourbon, shared with 2 people) just after midnight at Tempo, but almost zero recollection an hour later when he returned there... ? Of course it was busy, but it wasn't last call yet when he ordered the second batch of drinks. The girl at the door claimed he seemed out of place... Wouldn't he be hard to miss a second time around? Hard to hide someone his size, especially holding onto a tall girl like Hannah....

I really want to believe that staff wouldn't lie about something this important, but it's hard to understand why JLM would suddenly go from sticking out to being completely unnoticed. Am I missing something? Did he have an invisibilty cloak a la Harry Potter?

Does anyone else think it's a little strange that there are very detailed recollections about JLM (arriving alone, dancing, being obnoxious, very sweaty, bumming cigs) and his drinks purchase (3 shots of bourbon, shared with 2 people) just after midnight at Tempo, but almost zero recollection an hour later when he returned there... ? Of course it was busy, but it wasn't last call yet when he ordered the second batch of drinks. The girl at the door claimed he seemed out of place... Wouldn't he be hard to miss a second time around? Hard to hide someone his size, especially holding onto a tall girl like Hannah....

I really want to believe that staff wouldn't lie about something this important, but it's hard to understand why JLM would suddenly go from sticking out to being completely unnoticed. Am I missing something? Did he have an invisibilty cloak a la Harry Potter?

BBM.

Yes. HG and JM were both inside Tempo.... IMO.

BBM.

Yes. HG and JM were both inside Tempo.... IMO.

I believe this, too, and hope someone has or will come clean with LE. No waitstaff or doorman job is worth lying about something so important. This is crucial info in a (serial) murder investigation.

Great observation!!! Nice catch!

ETA: maybe all our speculation about them having JM on their radar, and knowing who he was far far sooner then we were led to believe....means it was LE who put the gag order on Tempo.

Yes, of course it's possible they'd keep a tab open for someone. But according to staff, that's not what occurred in this case. I imagine it varies from venue to venue. In NYC, where bars / clubs often have high volume and a lot of turnover, it's not unusual to pay and tip as one orders. Bar or table seating is different, b/c then it's expected one will settle prior to leaving like in a restaurant.

Tempo, if I understand correctly, turned into more of a nightclub with dancing late at night, which makes it harder to keep track of people. Just imo.

I lived in Manhattan for 3 yrs while I was in grad school at Columbia. Not that I'm trying to argue, not at all, please do not think that, because everyone's experience is different. But even when I was in the city, whether one chose to pay for each drink as they went or not, having an open tab was always an option....especially when they were busy...because its far quicker to just punch in an order, and make the drink, then it is to close out each customer every time. And usually they either hold your card physically, or have a comp system that keeps your info in the system for check out. That way if you leave the bar, and forget to close, they can still charge you.

Just my experience for what its worth.

I was also wondering if even though we know JM paid for those two beers at around 1:10. Do we know for sure that's when he ordered them?

I lived in Manhattan for 3 yrs while I was in grad school at Columbia. Not that I'm trying to argue, not at all, please do not think that, because everyone's experience is different. But even when I was in the city, whether one chose to pay for each drink as they went or not, having an open tab was always an option....especially when they were busy...because its far quicker to just punch in an order, and make the drink, then it is to close out each customer every time. And usually they either hold your card physically, or have a comp system that keeps your info in the system for check out. That way if you leave the bar, and forget to close, they can still charge you.

I was also wondering if even though we know JM paid for those two beers at around 1:10. Do we know for sure that's when he ordered them?
I dont have the link handy but it is up above somewhere. He bought two drinks at 1:09 and they were paid for one minute later.

No offense taken! I guess I was thinking more of a nightclub situation.

Per Coy Barefoot's timeline article, Tempo staff made the claim that JLM ordered the 2 drinks at 1:09, bartender filled the (mysterious) order, paid one minute later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back