Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #10 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree! The "take whatever you want" was code for Game Over, protect yourselves!

I would like to know if the vaseline was in the backpack or elsewhere in the room. That is a biggie!

The vaseline was elsewhere in the room. The 2 friends likely knew it was used in bomb-making since they'd discussed bomb-making with DT when he bragged about knowing how a month earlier over a meal:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #10 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

Or he set his brother up to take the fall. Like, they made/stored everything at DT's under the guise of the baby/the wife being in the house. When really he wanted the fallout to hit squarely at his brothers feet.

Well then he'd also have to have somehow made his brother travel back to Russia, made his brother watch radical video, made his brother try to indoctrinate others, etc etc etc - all in his young teen years? Doesn't make sense. Years of evidence show a progressively more radical TT.

I think DT was more like the techie - maybe he was more comfortable with the bomb engineering, and TT supplied the passion and anger and radical agenda.

Yep. that was Ted Williams on Greta. They've said they knew DT was the bomber. They've said they didn't believe they'd ever see DT alive again. If so, who exactly were they trying to keep "out of trouble"?

I'm not sure why these things are mutually exclusive. Maybe DT would be on the run, go into hiding, escape the country with his brother, or be killed by police --- why would that preclude the impulse to hide evidence that implicates him? Makes sense to me that if you want to protect your friend from "getting in trouble" you'd hide the evidence even if you thought your friend was about to go on the run, or go into hiding, or be captured and killed. Why would the three guys suddenly stop helping him just because one of the three privately had the thought that he might not see him again alive?

Also remember this happened within a couple of hours of seeing his picture as a suspect in the bombings. It's not as if they had days to ponder what it all meant -- there were three of them and they were acting impulsively. Their friend was in trouble, they saw evidence in his room, they grabbed it and hid it. When things progressed (TT was killed in the shootout), they panicked and threw the evidence out. It doesn't even seem like they actually believed it was completely real (that DT was the bomber) until they saw the news that night. And when they did see it was real - the "game" was over and they threw out the bag.

Also, their affidavit was given after they already knew almost everything that went down. This is what they are saying they thought in retrospect. At the time, they had to simultaneously process a terror attack, their friend as the suspect, discovery of evidence and the news that their friend's brother had been killed in a shootout by police. I seriously doubt that even if one of them did think: I don't think I'll see him alive again -- that he would have communicated his feelings to the others and suddenly changed the group's impulse to help their friend.

Boston Bomber’s Widow Katherine Russell Told Their Daughter, ‘Daddy’s Gone To Heaven’

“Daddy has gone to heaven and he still loves her very much,” is the message Katherine told Zahara after Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police in Watertown, Massachusetts, a relative revealed to People magazine.

“She broke the news as gently as possible, but Zahara wants to know why.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...dow-katherine-russell-told-daughter-dad-dead/

Poor girl :(

Link from the article for the home that her parents put up for sale. Very lovely place.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...ston-marathon-bomber-widow-katherine-russell/

10 Questions The FBI Should Ask Boston Bomber Widow Katherine Russell

Nancy Savage, Executive Director of the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI has shed light on the broad range of questions that Russell will face — and when and where that could be.

“They could do the interview anywhere, it can happen in a home, at a lawyer’s office, at the U.S. District Attorney’s office, at the FBI office or in a hotel room,” she explained.

PHOTOS: Two Explosions At The Boston Marathon!

“It could have been done already, or could be delayed if her attorney is still deciding the ‘where and when.’ The only time an interview is compelled is if it is before the grand jury or congress,” the former FBI agent told Radar, and she gave insight into what she would ask in a face-to-face interview with the bomber’s widow.

1. How did you meet?

2. How long have you known each other?

3. Can you give us background into your relationship?

4. Did you know anything about the plot?

5. Did you notice anything unusual?

6. Did you notice any changes in your husband?

7. Can you identify any friends or associates who may have been involved?

8. Do you know anything about the trip to Russia or any other cities he may have visited there?

9. Are there any other family members who may have been involved?

10. Is there any knowledge or information that you may have overheard indirectly?

I've managed to convince a legal expert, Chinacat67 :cat:, into answering a few legal Q's on this thread :)

Here are my questions, Chinacat67:
1) Can the authorities compel older brother TT's wife to disclose privileged info regarding TT or is that a violation of her legal rights as his wife?
2) Is there a loophole around the law regarding spousal privilege?
3) Can TT's wife be charged with "obstruction of justice" by her having alerted TT that LE was pursuing him?
4) Or are her actions considered conduct in accordance with spousal privilege and therefore protects her from prosecution?
5) Did the Patriot Act conflict with mirandizing DT?
6) What is the Public Exception Rule to Miranda?
7) What is Quarles rule?
8) What does a "prophylactic rule" mean (e.g., in opinion at http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2013/04/the-scope-of-mirandas-public-safety.html)?

TIA

Hi All,

I'll give this my best shot---I don't practice in this area of law and I don't practice in MA or federal court, but some of it is general law "stuff" anyway. I'm no expert and this is a free answer--which may be worth only what you paid. ;) Also to a large degree it will depend if this is ultimately a federal or state case. I suspect federal the way it is going, but you never know...

1. In general, a spouse can testify against the other spouse, but they cannot be forced to testify against the other spouse. It is the testifying spouse's choice, in other words. In MA, that is true, and under general federal law that is true. There are exceptions to the rule, as always in law, but in general, that is the rule. So, can they force her to testify? No. Can she decide voluntarily to testify? Yes.

Also, note that we are talking here only about testimony at trial. These are the rules of criminal procedure--meaning we aren't talking about in an interrogation room or even civil proceedings. It is simply a rule at a criminal trial that one spouse can, but doesn't have to, testify against another. Since he is dead and there will be no criminal trial for him, there is no privilege for her to exert.

2. Always loopholes. If they try in a military court, I have no idea what the rules of evidence are there. Also doesn't apply in proceedings of a domestic nature, nonsupport--ie if it is a family matter, she can be compelled. As far as loopholes in a federal case---the PATRIOT Act is extremely broad in its scope but I don't believe it can alter the rules of procedure in a criminal trial.

3. The authorities can charge anyone with anything, really, it's more a matter of can they convict somebody of something. I haven't been reading this thread so I'm not sure the context, but since, literally, the entire world knew LE was looking for TT, including undoubtedly TT, I can't imagine LE would bring this charge as it would never stick.

4. Again, privilege has to do with testifying at trial only. Any actions she took to help or hinder TT would not come into play and she couldn't "hide" behind the privilege. Her behavior isn't shielded in any way by privilege.

5/6/7. I wouldn't say the PATRIOT Act conflicted with Miranda. I'd say that the Miranda rule exists and the PATRIOT Act exists. The former is to protect individual rights. The latter is to protect the general public. Sometimes those things conflict.

Basically, Miranda is a US Supreme Court decision from the 60's that says police must let people know of their legal rights before LE starts to question them--to an attorney yada yada yada. The convenient way LE has learned to do so is by the Miranda warnings we all know from tv.

Why do they have to let people know? Because if they don't then there is a cloud hanging over the interrogation and investigation and evidence that maybe it was coerced/forced or otherwise obtained in a way that we freedom-lovin' Americans don't tend to like.

So, basically, like spousal privilege, it is really only a rule of evidence that comes into play in criminal trials. If someone is not Mirandized, their defense attorney can claim they didn't know their rights and thus the playing ground wasn't fair and the things the suspect said and did get thrown out of court and cannot be used in the trial. Of course, LE and prosecutors don't want this stuff thrown out at trial, so prosecutors tell LE that they have to follow this rule from the very beginning--ie the arrest--to make sure the evidence can come in at the later trial. That is how it is prophylactic--LE does it to make sure the evidence obtained can be used later at trial. LE doesn't have to Mirandize to make a legal arrest---they have to Mirandize to assure a legal conviction later in court. They do "this" now to get "that" effect later=prophylactic.

In the 80's, the US Supreme Court decided the Quarles case. In that, the police asked the guy, while handcuffing him, where the gun was that they saw. Then they Mirandized him. His defense attorney argued that the gun had to be thrown out because it was asked before he was Mirandized. The court basically said that if there is a question of public safety (ie a loose gun in a room just as you are trying to arrest someone) then the evidence can still come in. In other words, they created an exception to the Miranda rule, so it became more like "you must tell them their rights except if there is a dangerous situation at hand that doesn't give you time to Mirandize and you need info to diffuse the danger". That is the Quarles exception to the Miranda rule.

The FBI, per the memo linked on Dorf's page, took that exception and, with regard to domestic terrorism, said they (the FBI) think the Quarles rule can be used to justify not giving someone Miranda warnings for some amount of time. The memo specifically says it doesn't apply if FBI knows suspect has attorney but otherwise it says "hey, we think it doesn't have to be in just that exact one minute of danger; that with terrorism, public safety can be in danger for a longer period of time since we need to know if there are others out there who are planning things etc."

In the end, the law is: if you want to be able to use at trial, you have to give Miranda warnings. BUT, if there is an immediate concern for public safety, you can handle that first then give Miranda. The FBI has interpreted those laws to say "immediate" can mean more than a minute or an hour.

Also, as the Dorf column points out, it is important to again remember that Miranda is just a rule of evidence for criminal trials. If the FBI or LE don't care if the evidence ever gets in at trial (ie they just want to know if others are out there or whatever and they have enough other evidence they think) then they don't have to worry about Miranda. It is only an advance worry for a trial situation.

And this is all a very simplified (ha!) version of everything. Democracy and law are messy things.

Clear as mud? :)

Younger Bomber: "Hey guys, guess what? I know how to make a bomb!"

Friend 1: "No ****! Wow! Cool!"

Friend 2: "Nahhh. I don't believe him!"

Friend 3: "So how do you do it?"

Younger Bomber: "All you need is some heavy duty fireworks, some Vaseline, and a couple of other things."

Friend 1: "So how big of a bomb does it make?"

Younger Bomber: "Don't know yet. I was going to test one out some evening this week. I need to figure out a place to do it. Want to come along and watch?"

Friend 1: "Yeah, man. Cool!"

Friend 2: "Right on!"

Friend 3: "Hey, I know where there's an empty field....."

--------------

Published March 26, 2013

Hanover —

Hanover fire and police departments seek the public’s help in identifying suspects or providing information in relation to two recent incidents where, over the past week, witnesses have reported explosions.

Officials are concerned the explosive devices could lead to injury or property damage. The recovered explosives appear to be homemade.

<modsnip>

Any resident with information that may assist investigators in finding the source of these devices should call Hanover Police Officer Stephen Moar at 781-826-2335 or Hanover Fire Captain James Gallagher at 781-826-3151.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hanover/...osives-cause-concern-in-Hanover#axzz2S9z68NLC

-----------------------

Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive. - Sir Walter Scott (Marmion, 1808)

Lol. Sounds about right to me! :D I added a couple more 'Cools' (in red) ;)

Younger Bomber: "Hey guys, guess what? I know how to make a bomb!"

Friend 1: "No ****! Wow! Cool!"

Friend 2: "Nahhh. I don't believe him!"

Friend 3: "That's so cool. So how do you do it?"

Younger Bomber: "All you need is some heavy duty fireworks, some Vaseline, and a couple of other things."

Friend 1: "Cool! So how big of a bomb does it make?"

Younger Bomber: "Don't know yet. I was going to test one out some evening this week. I need to figure out a place to do it. Want to come along and watch?"

Friend 1: "Yeah, man. Cool!"

Friend 2: "Right on! So cool!"

Friend 3: "Hey, I know where there's an empty field....."

--------------
Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive. - Sir Walter Scott (Marmion, 1808)

If their roles were solely after the fact (and that is what the charges indictate), then they should be sentenced appropriately. Giving an overly harsh sentence due to anger in the community isn't what justice should be about.

If their roles were solely after the fact (and that is what the charges indictate), then they should be sentenced appropriately. Giving an overly harsh sentence due to anger in the community isn't what justice should be about.

Here's what these "college dopes" knew when they started covering up "after the fact." They knew theie friend and his brother were extremely dangerous. They had seen the maiming and the killing...the horror of the whole episode...and the terror of the community AFTER THAT. There was no question that their friend was an indiscriminate murderer. They and WE had seen absolute proof of that. And with that knowledge of how dangerous these guys were to the public...they did all THEY could to keep them at large.

In fact, these two went on to kill a policeman and had packed a car filled with explosives to go to Times Square. They intended to kill and maim in a big way again. Even if the "college Dopes" didn't know what their next plan was..they knew INDEED that they were extremely dangerous killers and they worked to keep them at large and capable of killing again. What does that say about the morality, mindset, and concern for innocent human life of these "College Dopes?" It indicates either apathy or approval of the killing and maiming.

And to be accurate, at least one was no "college dope." He had dropped out and blithely returned illegally. Just another one of the "laws" in place, including Mass gun laws...among the toughest in the nation...that are meaningless..because our vast bureaucracies dont enforce the laws we have.

All through this tragedy are example after example of "rules", "laws", "eligibilities" that it appears are easily scammed over and over...to the detriment of the truly needy and the taxpayer.

Here's what matters....These two "College Dopes" could look at the horror of the photos we all saw...that little boy...the grieving Mother of the young woman...the exchange student...and, knowing who did it and WHY...their impulse was to HELP the monsters capable of that awful violence...stay at large.

We minimize such things at our own peril. Imagine the "anger in the community" if they had pulled off another attack in NYC!

I have to say it. Calling them "college dopes" really seems to minimize what they've done.

Here's what these "college dopes" knew when they started covering up "after the fact." They knew theie friend and his brother were extremely dangerous. They had seen the maiming and the killing...the horror of the whole episode...and the terror of the community AFTER THAT. There was no question that their friend was an indiscriminate murderer. They and WE had seen absolute proof of that. And with that knowledge of how dangerous these guys were to the public...they did all THEY could to keep them at large.

In fact, these two went on to kill a policeman and had packed a car filled with explosives to go to Times Square. They intended to kill and maim in a big way again. Even if the "college Dopes" didn't know what their next plan was..they knew INDEED that they were extremely dangerous killers and they worked to keep them at large and capable of killing again. What does that say about the morality, mindset, and concern for innocent human life of these "College Dopes?" It indicates either apathy or approval of the killing and maiming.

And to be accurate, at least one was no "college dope." He had dropped out and blithely returned illegally. Just another one of the "laws" in place, including Mass gun laws...among the toughest in the nation...that are meaningless..because our vast bureaucracies dont enforce the laws we have.

All through this tragedy are example after example of "rules", "laws", "eligibilities" that it appears are easily scammed over and over...to the detriment of the truly needy and the taxpayer.

Here's what matters....These two "College Dopes" could look at the horror of the photos we all saw...that little boy...the grieving Mother of the young woman...the exchange student...and, knowing who did it and WHY...their impulse was to HELP the monsters capable of that awful violence...stay at large.

We minimize such things at our own peril. Imagine the "anger in the community" if they had pulled off another attack in NYC!

Yea I kinda agree with this. It's one thing if say for example they knew who the faces were but then just stayed silent because they didn't want to rat out their friend. On some level I can actually understand that, especially when we're talking about the ages involved here. But it something entirely different when you are taking an action to actually assist your friend. In this case, it's removing things from the apartment, evidence that can be used against him. That's an action to try to cover for the suspect. They should be appropriately punished for that.

You're right, you got me, I think what all of them did wasn't very bad at all. I want to see them all go free. In fact, ill buy them all lunch. :rolleyes:

I really hate when threads turn into an "I hate the perps more than you do!", or "I'm tougher on crime than you are!" contest.

I mean, really?

Im not going to play the Outrage Olympics, and I'm not going to walk back my opinion. I think this is dumbest group of would-be terrorists, and the dumbest group of friends I've seen in a case in a while. Yep, I think they're dopes. Doesn't mean they shouldnt be charged, but until I see evidence that they were involved in planning, or knew about things before the crime, I'm not going to start screaming for them to be given death or lwop or other harsh sentence like some.

You're right, you got me, I think what all of them did wasn't very bad at all. I want to see them all go free. In fact, ill buy them all lunch. :rolleyes:

I really hate when threads turn into an "I hate the perps more than you do!", or "I'm tougher on crime than you are!" contest.

I mean, really?

Im not going to play the Outrage Olympics, and I'm not going to walk back my opinion. I think this is dumbest group of would-be terrorists, and the dumbest group of friends I've seen in a case in a while. Yep, I think they're dopes. Doesn't mean they shouldnt be charged, but until I see evidence that they were involved in planning, or knew about things before the crime, I'm not going to start screaming for them to be given death or lwop or other harsh sentence like some.

ITA. They can be both college dopes AND criminally guilty accessories after the fact to a crime. I personally think they're both. They're clearly not sophisticated criminals, or even all that bright, and their stupidity enabled them to take part in something heinous. The good part is that if they were involved with the planning, I'm sure they've left a breadcrumb trail behind them that investigators will find and follow, and we'll figure it out during the investigation.

I wonder about their futures. If they are found guilty and imprisoned, they will do time in the US and then upon release will be deported, right? I wonder how they will feel once they return to their home country, after spending a few years building up a head of outrage over their "treatment" at the hands of the US. I wonder if they will become folks heroes to young radical Muslims looking for a rallying point.

Guys,

The notion that they needed the public to help them with ID is silly. These folks have been on the radar for years, FBI CIA Russian equivalents etc. etc.

The “we need the public” was just like FORD advertising. The message to the world we will join together and if you attack us as a nation we will pull together and get you.

If there is any truth to needing public help after all the above mentioned agencies are following them then we are in deep doo doo.

As far as three kids could have prevented the later deaths – they (LE) were clueless as to where they were. If they had called (the three) it would have changed something by 3 hours, and in reality the only reason why they discovered their location was the blotched hijacking – not any specific LE skill etc. by that point.

Its manipulation……………………….

Always been confused about the anger with the wife. On two levels.Foremost, folks are believing that the two of them were not watching the news AND THAT IT WAS NEWS TO THEM(!) THAT there pics were out there and their names as well. IMO, of course they were following news - if for not other reason to see their death count etc.

Its like beleiving that they just were not following anything.

IMO, its also pretty logical that a wife would call a husband when the husband is the most wanted man on the planet - either way (she knew/or warned) its being an abused wife.

There are attachment issues related to be a victim of domestic violence.

IMO, they knew they were in trouble way before the wife made any call...their following themselves - a trait any murderer suffers with.

A young woman at UMass-Dartmouth who lived in the same dormitory as Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev claims that her two-week fling with him revealed his true colors.

The female student, who requested to remain anonymous to protect her privacy, told Mother Jones that Tsarnaev, 19, was always flanked by a group of five or so Russian-speaking friends, including two of the three additional suspects, Azamat Tazhayakov, Dias Kadyrbayev.

Robel Phillipos is the third suspect arrested by authorities in connection with the case.

The woman said that Tsarnaev served as the group's ringleader, adding that the freshman "idolized" the teenager, who is currently in federal custody at a medical detention center and accused of using a weapon of mass destruction.
...more

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...zed-article-1.1333185?localLinksEnabled=false

Tamerlan Tsarnaev called wife after FBI released photos

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-phone-call-dzhkokhar-boston-bombing/2129289/

Dunno' if this is old news and they just published it or what.

They've published accounts where KRT called TT after the photos were released - but not the other way around. I wonder if USA has gotten it right...

While entirely possible (they know he called his mother around then), at this point, I'm hesitant to latch onto the variations without additional confirmation.

ITA. They can be both college dopes AND criminally guilty accessories after the fact to a crime. I personally think they're both. They're clearly not sophisticated criminals, or even all that bright, and their stupidity enabled them to take part in something heinous. The good part is that if they were involved with the planning, I'm sure they've left a breadcrumb trail behind them that investigators will find and follow, and we'll figure it out during the investigation.

I wonder about their futures. If they are found guilty and imprisoned, they will do time in the US and then upon release will be deported, right? I wonder how they will feel once they return to their home country, after spending a few years building up a head of outrage over their "treatment" at the hands of the US. I wonder if they will become folks heroes to young radical Muslims looking for a rallying point.

They may be heroes to radical Muslims right now. They certainly showed a usefulness and allegiance to the cause of terror...no matter what reasons were their motivators.

This is not a matter of hate...it should be a matter of finding a way to better secure public safety. If a CEO of a airplane parts company was making defective parts...there was an horrific plane crash...and knowingl THAT, he kept supplying those parts and putting the public at risk...I certainly would not call him "a dopey businessman"....I would say he had a callous disregard for the lives of others.

So did these friends. They helped keep men they knew to be murderers and maimers and terrorists...free on the streets. They cared more for their friends than the victims or the safety of the general public.

That should be a big concern to all of us. And they were here as our guests...participants in programs that are supposed to be a helping hand and a way to bring understanding and respect on both sides. Did these two guests seem to have acquired any empathy or concern for the citizens of their host country..or just for their two "friends?"

IMO, they are neither dopes nor devoted friends. They share something deeper with these killers. It just is not normal...to run interverence after seeing the carnage these Brothers caused. Especially knowing your Visa had expired. Who puts themselves at risk? It would take some deep feeling or shared ideology to put oneself WILLINGLY in the middle of this.

Guys,

The notion that they needed the public to help them with ID is silly. These folks have been on the radar for years, FBI CIA Russian equivalents etc. etc.

The “we need the public” was just like FORD advertising. The message to the world we will join together and if you attack us as a nation we will pull together and get you.

If there is any truth to needing public help after all the above mentioned agencies are following them then we are in deep doo doo.

As far as three kids could have prevented the later deaths – they (LE) were clueless as to where they were. If they had called (the three) it would have changed something by 3 hours, and in reality the only reason why they discovered their location was the blotched hijacking – not any specific LE skill etc. by that point.

Its manipulation……………………….

Respectfully, Cariis, this sounds like a contradiction. On the one hand, you say the public's help wasn't necessary because the authorities have been on to the BB's for years. But then you say, in so many words, if the hijacking had gone off smoothly, LE never would have found them.

Who's manipulating whom?

A young woman at UMass-Dartmouth who lived in the same dormitory as Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev claims that her two-week fling with him revealed his true colors.

The female student, who requested to remain anonymous to protect her privacy, told Mother Jones that Tsarnaev, 19, was always flanked by a group of five or so Russian-speaking friends, including two of the three additional suspects, Azamat Tazhayakov, Dias Kadyrbayev.

Robel Phillipos is the third suspect arrested by authorities in connection with the case.

The woman said that Tsarnaev served as the group's ringleader, adding that the freshman "idolized" the teenager, who is currently in federal custody at a medical detention center and accused of using a weapon of mass destruction.
...more

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...zed-article-1.1333185?localLinksEnabled=false

I'm not surprised at all by this. This is exactly how I pictured it. Same as DT was following his brother's lead, the other students were following DT. This explains why they were so dumb and got rid of evidence to help him (and maybe more?).

Also from the article:

the unnamed female student described the three suspects as 'goofy' and 'kind of lackadaisical

About DT she says:

She described him as "adorable" and immediately asked him to hang out, adding that he was very popular with female students around campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfcortez8