Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #10 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the criminal complaint, I inferred that the vaseline was elsewhere. Like you said, this is a biggie!

Even if I figured my bestie was just being generous with his offer to take anything I wanted, the LAST thing I would consider would be his jar of vaseline.

They may be heroes to radical Muslims right now. They certainly showed a usefulness and allegiance to the cause of terror...no matter what reasons were their motivators.

This is not a matter of hate...it should be a matter of finding a way to better secure public safety. If a CEO of a airplane parts company was making defective parts...there was an horrific plane crash...and knowingl THAT, he kept supplying those parts and putting the public at risk...I certainly would not call him "a dopey businessman"....I would say he had a callous disregard for the lives of others.

So did these friends. They helped keep men they knew to be murderers and maimers and terrorists...free on the streets. They cared more for their friends than the victims or the safety of the general public.

That should be a big concern to all of us. And they were here as our guests...participants in programs that are supposed to be a helping hand and a way to bring understanding and respect on both sides. Did these two guests seem to have acquired any empathy or concern for the citizens of their host country..or just for their two "friends?"

IMO, they are neither dopes nor devoted friends. They share something deeper with these killers. It just is not normal...to run interverence after seeing the carnage these Brothers caused. Especially knowing your Visa had expired. Who puts themselves at risk? It would take some deep feeling or shared ideology to put oneself WILLINGLY in the middle of this.

Maybe, but I honestly don't think something deeper is necessary. I teach this age group - heck, I taught one of these kids, apparently, though I have no recollection of him. And although the scale of this is clearly different, the impulsive blind allegiance to a friend without much thought for the bigger picture, for others, for your own future, etc. - is characteristic of the age.

Did they have shared ideology? Maybe. In a vague, not very well defined way fueled by a romantic, cool image of what that ideology might look like. Just like you could ask why they had "terrorista" custom license plates when they had an expired visa and were chatting about bombs over lunch. IMO, they were taken with the image of themselves as cool, counter-culture rebels in a sea of Americans - much moreso than sharing an actual deep feeling of radical religious fervor. JMO.

In this article from today it says the missing laptop was given to LE.

The laptop was turned over to the FBI, one of the friend's lawyer said, and a backpack containing deconstructed fireworks was ultimately recovered from a landfill.

Sound slike the laptop was turned over just recently? After the arrests?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...he-boston-marathon-bombing-investigation?lite

I seem to recall a really curt comment about a week ago (iirc, around the time the landfill search ended), LE saying "we have the laptop". It was kind of buried in a longer article, and was a one-shot comment that I never saw mentioned again. Could be they wanted to keep that well under wraps so contacts didn't run around deleting info.

Boston Marathon suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's friends "don't believe" he did it

One of the teenagers accused of helping Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in the wake of last month's deadly attack told his father that they doubted Tsarnaev was behind the blasts, the father said in a television interview.

"They don't believe, they still don't believe, that he did that," Kadyrbayev's father Murat Kadyrbayev told Kazakhstan Channel 7 last week, according to a translation from the Reuters news service.

Murat Kadyrbayev said Dias told him that Tsarnaev, who has been charged in the attack and continues to recover in a federal prison medical facility from a shootout with authorities, didn't seem the violent type.

"He said, 'Daddy, we didn't know,'" the older Kadyrbayev said. "'He's not the kind of guy who would hurt anyone or do something else. There are those kind of 100 percent naturalized Americans. He was that kind. Very chatty.' He said, 'We were shocked.'"

The father said his family was "shocked" that Dias had been arrested at all.

"Everyone knows my son," the father said. "He's never fought anyone. He's never been in touch with any radicals. He doesn't go to the mosque, unless we go or there's another reason. In the U.S. he has never been to a mosque."

On "CBS This Morning" Thursday, CBS News legal analyst Jack Ford, a former prosecutor, said prosecutors will likely use the federal charges to get the teens to cooperate.

"If I'm the prosecutor, I'm saying to their lawyers, 'Look, you guys want to help yourselves here?'" Ford said. "'Here's what you got to do: Start thinking back. What did you see? What did you hear? Was there some conversation, something that maybe didn't strike you as being important back then might be helpful for you right now.'"

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162...har-tsarnaevs-friends-dont-believe-he-did-it/

Yea I kinda agree with this. It's one thing if say for example they knew who the faces were but then just stayed silent because they didn't want to rat out their friend. On some level I can actually understand that, especially when we're talking about the ages involved here. But it something entirely different when you are taking an action to actually assist your friend. In this case, it's removing things from the apartment, evidence that can be used against him. That's an action to try to cover for the suspect. They should be appropriately punished for that.

Thinking the same way.
I could understand friends covering for someone if it was something minor they did, BUT something of the scale of this crime, no way. After seeing DT's picture and finding what they did they SHOULD HAVE called LE instead of trying to get rid of the stuff. I hope they are charged and convicted with everything they possibly can.

Maybe, but I honestly don't think something deeper is necessary. I teach this age group - heck, I taught one of these kids, apparently, though I have no recollection of him. And although the scale of this is clearly different, the impulsive blind allegiance to a friend without much thought for the bigger picture, for others, for your own future, etc. - is characteristic of the age.

Did they have shared ideology? Maybe. In a vague, not very well defined way fueled by a romantic, cool image of what that ideology might look like. Just like you could ask why they had "terrorista" custom license plates when they had an expired visa and were chatting about bombs over lunch. IMO, they were taken with the image of themselves as cool, counter-culture rebels in a sea of Americans - much moreso than sharing an actual deep feeling of radical religious fervor. JMO.

Thank you ami, a very good post! Insightful.

Let me ask you, would you put DT in the same "category" as his friends? Or do you believe he did infact have something "deeper" and more sinister hidden inside of him?

The arrested friends look kind of geeky to me, DT doesn't.

I have zero sympathy for these 3.

They willfully disposed of crucial material evidence related to acts of terrorism, knowing full well what they were doing.

One of them lied to federal investigators during the course of an investigation involving acts of terrorism.

Due to their willful disposal of material evidence, expensive resources (personnel hours, money, etc.) were spent digging through a landfill in search of the evidence these 3 sought to hide from investigators.

IMO, there's no excuse they can offer that justifies their actions.

The covering for a friend excuse doesn't hold the tiniest drop of water for me - especially regarding the heinous crimes their friend committed.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of these 3 had some involvement in the marathon bombing - perhaps assisted in building the bombs, or perhaps helped to buy the pressure cookers. IDK

I hope they're convicted & each receive the maximum sentence. Perhaps it will send a message to anyone in the future who thinks that covering for or assisting their criminal friends is a good idea.

Thank you ami, a very good post! Insightful.

Let me ask you, would you put DT in the same "category" as his friends? Or do you believe he did infact have something "deeper" and more sinister hidden inside of him?

The arrested friend look kind of geeky to me, DT doesn't.

I certainly think DT had other influences than those guys. I have to wonder if he saw his whole family essential leaving or having left the US. Mom and dad already gone, how can mom come back with a criminal charge against her. He must have known TT was on the terrorist list and maybe even knew mom was. He knew TT wanted to go live in Dagestan. I'm even starting to wonder if he knew about the dead friend, one of 3 with the throats slit. I see the three college friends as young men without a rudder really, easily influenced but why they did what they did, I'm not speculating anymore. As for DT, look what he was accustomed to seeing - mom got away with stealing and flew the coop, TT thought it was ok to be violent with women and pit women against each other (not sure what DT knew, but he was being groomed, if even passively, to think men deserved control and there was somehow honor in jihad. I think he was kind of charismatic and sort of used women himself, trying to get them in bed instead of trying for a relationship. Maybe he used his friends also or found power in their awe of him. I'm sure he could be the good time guy and come up with lots of tales to entertain? I think DT expected to leave the country or just thought he would get away with the bombing and not be caught...maybe leave later or not. I don't think he had a rudder on the moral level and maybe the darker influence behind it all is what he went toward. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think because of his background, he just had no conscience... not that he had radical religious beliefs, maybe he just had an ego.

I have zero sympathy for these 3.

They willfully disposed of crucial material evidence related to acts of terrorism, knowing full well what they were doing.

One of them lied to federal investigators during the course of an investigation involving acts of terrorism.

Due to their willful disposal of material evidence, expensive resources (personnel hours, money, etc.) were spent digging through a landfill in search of the evidence these 3 sought to hide from investigators.

IMO, there's no excuse they can offer that justifies their actions.

The covering for a friend excuse doesn't hold the tiniest drop of water for me - especially regarding the heinous crimes their friend committed.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of these 3 has some involvement in the marathon bombing - perhaps assisted in building the bombs, or perhaps helped to buy the pressure cookers. IDK

I hope they're convicted & each receive the maximum sentence. Perhaps it will send a message to anyone in the future who thinks that covering for or assisting their criminal friends is a good idea.

I kind of doubt they are involved in the bombing, but reserving judgment since we don't have much evidence one way or the other.

I could actually understand if they initially were afraid that stuff would implicate them when they were innocent - so I was surprised that was not what they claimed. That would seem normal. People might do that and then have second thoughts and call the police later.

I do hope this gets who ever has the authority to start checking up on students who are here on Student Visas. If they do not enroll and/or do not show up for class within a very short time period, we should be looking for them. I don't think we should go easy on them either when we finds out they have violated the terms of those Visas.

Yes,I can agree with some of what you are saying. But here's where I just cannot agree. I think the whole "terrorista" thing could have been "cool"...up until they saw what their friends had actually done. I mean...they saw the suffering, the consequences.

I too have heard immature kids make ridiculous threats to sound like big shots.."I'll skin that dog if it comes here again." But in reality, they cannot bear to see an animal in pain...much less a human.

These guys saw the pain.

They are not babies...they are old enough to have a human reaction to actual horror.

Why would they help their friends...knowing what they knew? Seeing what they had seen...what we all saw? I just have a faith that HUMANS of that age could not be enablers of such random public violence. Big talk BEFORE sure...but not after THIS. Not if they are normal. I just do not want to believe that the new normal is young people who can brush off such terrible suffering and pain as we saw.

But I can be
ieve it sadly...if they are already driven by some "justification" that they have some RIGHT to kill and maim....and therefore are "righteous."

If this is about "cool"....and these guys are all normal guys....and an extended group of friends...here partaking of our generosity...can all think Terrorism is STILL cool...ESPECIALLY after seeing the awful human consequences....why that leaves a whole other set of questions about prevention.

Always been confused about the anger with the wife. On two levels.Foremost, folks are believing that the two of them were not watching the news AND THAT IT WAS NEWS TO THEM(!) THAT there pics were out there and their names as well. IMO, of course they were following news - if for not other reason to see their death count etc.

Its like beleiving that they just were not following anything.

IMO, its also pretty logical that a wife would call a husband when the husband is the most wanted man on the planet - either way (she knew/or warned) its being an abused wife.

There are attachment issues related to be a victim of domestic violence.

IMO, they knew they were in trouble way before the wife made any call...their following themselves - a trait any murderer suffers with.

BBM

I agree with the bolded portions, Cariis. I wouldn't be surprised if TT & DT were well aware that the FBI was looking for them before KR called.

IMO, the 2 terrorists were keeping a close eye on the media reports, not only for any reports regarding their identities, but I think they were also reveling in the horrendous carnage they had caused & were enjoying their sick notoriety.

Here's what these "college dopes" knew when they started covering up "after the fact." They knew theie friend and his brother were extremely dangerous. They had seen the maiming and the killing...the horror of the whole episode...and the terror of the community AFTER THAT. There was no question that their friend was an indiscriminate murderer. They and WE had seen absolute proof of that. And with that knowledge of how dangerous these guys were to the public...they did all THEY could to keep them at large.

In fact, these two went on to kill a policeman and had packed a car filled with explosives to go to Times Square. They intended to kill and maim in a big way again. Even if the "college Dopes" didn't know what their next plan was..they knew INDEED that they were extremely dangerous killers and they worked to keep them at large and capable of killing again. What does that say about the morality, mindset, and concern for innocent human life of these "College Dopes?" It indicates either apathy or approval of the killing and maiming.

And to be accurate, at least one was no "college dope." He had dropped out and blithely returned illegally. Just another one of the "laws" in place, including Mass gun laws...among the toughest in the nation...that are meaningless..because our vast bureaucracies dont enforce the laws we have.

All through this tragedy are example after example of "rules", "laws", "eligibilities" that it appears are easily scammed over and over...to the detriment of the truly needy and the taxpayer.

Here's what matters....These two "College Dopes" could look at the horror of the photos we all saw...that little boy...the grieving Mother of the young woman...the exchange student...and, knowing who did it and WHY...their impulse was to HELP the monsters capable of that awful violence...stay at large.

We minimize such things at our own peril. Imagine the "anger in the community" if they had pulled off another attack in NYC!
But, in a court room they would say speculation your honor----

Always wondered, after all they had done why they did not shoot him as he ran away

Student F-1 visas are for students who wish to attend a school, college, or university in the United States. The F1 visa is valid for as long as it takes the student to finish his or her course of study. F-1 visas allow students to work on campus, and off campus in some situations. Upon completion of their academic programs, F1 visa holders are eligible to apply for employment authorized practical training. F-1 visas will not grant a permanent residency in the United States, and students must leave the United States within 36 days once the course of study or practical training has been completed.
http://www.immigrationlawyersla.com/visas/

If you are currently in the United States on a Tourist B-2 visa and you would like to change it to an F-1 Student Visa, you and your children (F-2 visa for your children) have that option. However a visa status change into F1 is not possible while inside the US. F1 Visa can only be issued at an American Embassy or Consulate abroad.
http://www.immigrationlawyersla.com/questions/how-to-change-tourist-visa-to-student-visa/

Technically, political asylum seekers and refugees are the same. The main difference between asylees and refugees has to do with how they are required to apply for their respective statuses and their eligibility for permanent residency in the United States.

Asylees can apply at U.S. port of entry or after they are already in the United States and refugees are required to apply abroad and wait for approval before they can travel to the U.S.

Both asylees and refugees can apply for green card residency after one year, but refugees are required by law to apply for permanent residency and asylees are not required by law to apply but they are eligible to apply.

Immigrants must file for political asylum with Form I-589 within one year after entry into the United States. The application may include spouse and children under the age of 21 if they are already in the U.S. If the asylum application is approved, the immigrant may file for a petition (Form I-730) for his/her spouse and children under 21 if they are outside the U.S.

Asylum seekers may not apply for permission to work in the United States at the time of their application for asylum. They must wait for 150 days from the date they filed their asylum application. Once 150 days have passed, they may apply for employment authorization with Form I-765 even if a decision has not been made on their application.

Asylees can travel outside the United States after their applications for asylum have been approved. But they must obtain permission to return back to the U.S. by filing refugee travel document (Form I-131) before they leave the U.S. Political asylum seekers who have left the U.S. will need the refugee travel document to re-enter the U.S., and those who do not obtain the refugee travel document in advance risk losing their asylee status and may not be able to re-enter the U.S.
http://www.immigrationlawyersla.com/questions/what-is-political-asylum/

his three friends are part it. Granted, it might just be that they helped DT fire practice bombs down by the river, but that could be enough.

Ah ha! Very good point - never occurred to me -- lets be real in this day and age the liscense tag isnt all that bright an idea either!

I wonder if DT knew if his three friends would be going to the Marathon. Did they go? What if they had been at the finish line cheering on family and friends? Would he still have set that bomb down there & detonated it?

There causality rate may have low this time but their economic impact was stunning

The impact of terrorism on financial markets - The impact of terrorism on financial markets

The impact of terrorism on financial markets
November 13, 2012 11:43 am
Bus & Eco

Research in the Department of Finance has examined the nine major bombings since 1998 that have been attributed to Al Qaida to examine market efficiency, including a test of rumours that investors traded with advance knowledge of attacks.

Acts of terrorism not only devastate lives but seek to rupture economies and the financial infrastructure that underpins them. Understanding the impact these acts of terrorism have had on financial markets structures is important to examine the efficiency of these markets.

‘Terrorist attacks provide a unique opportunity to calibrate the time taken for markets to react to release of unexpected price-sensitive information’ outlined Dr Les Coleman, author of the research.

‘Markets that are strongly efficient do not offer investors the opportunity to trade profitably using monopoly inside information. Therefore this analysis of market efficiency conducts two tests, how long is required for markets to fully impound the price impact of terrorist attacks, and have investors with advance knowledge of the attacks traded profitably around them’

Dr Coleman’s examined the nine major terrorist attacks by Al Qaida that were outlined in a 2005 list by UK Prime Minister Blair and analysed market reaction around the attacks by using minute-by-minute tick data while also conducting event studies with daily data.

‘The innovations of this research is the list of terrorist attacks avoids subjectivity and biases inherent in previous studies of financial consequences of terrorist attacks, while the approach to market reaction provides granular analysis along the entire event timeline’ highlighted Dr Coleman.

The nine attacks examined were roughly evenly spaced through the 1998-2005 period with a t least one in each calendar year expect 1999. They were geographically spread across Africa (three), Asia (three), Europe (two) and USA (one).

The dates of the attacks were clustered with seven of the nine attacks occurring between May and October and most of the attacks occurred during the morning. Dr Coleman’s examination of these attacks and analysis of the market data has provided powerful insights.

Only four bombings moved a major stock market by more than 1% within 90 minutes of their occurrence, on the four occasions when this occurred the first market reaction occurred within 20-40 minutes and was largely completed within another hour. ‘This suggests that markets are very efficient in quantifying the financial impacts of terrorists events, and matches other evidence that markets take well under a trading day to price in completely unanticipated impacts’ explained Dr Coleman.

Another major finding of this research was that the times of the attacks were not consistent with optimised insider trading. ‘The timings of the bombings were not particularly advantageous for insiders as they occurred either too early in the day when it would have been hard to surreptitiously close out positions after the attack.

Thus insiders would be forced to hold positions overnight which increase the risk of confounding events arising and eroding the trading value of their monopoly knowledge’ highlighted Dr Coleman.

This study reaffirms the semi-strong and strong efficiency of markets. In brief it showed that major markets such as Hong Kong, London and Tokyo, take less than half a trading session to fully price in the impacts of totally unexpected terrorist attacks no matter their location.

Moreover this study confirmed that there is no conclusive evidence to support rumours that investors associated with Al Qaida have traded profitably ahead of any of their major attacks.

‘The literature on the financial effects of terrorist attacks is still fragmented, but is tentative conclusions are confirmed here. Most terrorist attacks have minimal, transient impacts on financial markets’ concluded Dr Coleman.

•Produce widesrpead fear

•Obtain worldwide, national, or local recognition for their cause by attracting the attention of the media

•Harass, weaken, or embarrass government security forces so that the the government overreacts and appears repressive

•Steal or extort money and equipment, especially weapons and ammunition vital to the operation of their group

•Destroy facilities or disrupt lines of communication in order to create doubt that the government can provide for and protect its citizens

•Discourage foreign investments, tourism, or assistance programs that can affect the target country’s economy and support of the government in power •Influence government decisions, legislation, or other critical decisions

•Free prisoners

•Satisfy vengeance

•Turn the tide in a guerrilla war by forcing government security forces to concentrate their efforts in urban areas. This allows the terrorist group to establish itself among the local populace in rural areas

http://www.terrorism-research.com/goals/

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/army/guidterr/ch02.pdf

Yes,I can agree with some of what you are saying. But here's where I just cannot agree. I think the whole "terrorista" thing could have been "cool"...up until they saw what their friends had actually done. I mean...they saw the suffering, the consequences.

I too have heard immature kids make ridiculous threats to sound like big shots.."I'll skin that dog if it comes here again." But in reality, they cannot bear to see an animal in pain...much less a human.

These guys saw the pain.

They are not babies...they are old enough to have a human reaction to actual horror.

Why would they help their friends...knowing what they knew? Seeing what they had seen...what we all saw? I just have a faith that HUMANS of that age could not be enablers of such random public violence. Big talk BEFORE sure...but not after THIS. Not if they are normal. I just do not want to believe that the new normal is young people who can brush off such terrible suffering and pain as we saw.

But I can be
ieve it sadly...if they are already driven by some "justification" that they have some RIGHT to kill and maim....and therefore are "righteous."

If this is about "cool"....and these guys are all normal guys....and an extended group of friends...here partaking of our generosity...can all think Terrorism is STILL cool...ESPECIALLY after seeing the awful human consequences....why that leaves a whole other set of questions about prevention.

Yeah I get that, from an adult perspective, and from several weeks' distance, but just IMO, in my experience parenting and teaching this age-group, the perception and empathy, reactions, acceptance and judgment aren't necessarily the same as what you or I would have in the moment. Let's leave off age for a moment and just say that different maturity levels handle those things differently.

For instance, the day the SWAT team came to campus, some student here apparently had trouble handling the excitement (don't mean happy excitement, just stress, activity, emotion, etc) and ran at the SWAT team members. I don't know what he was thinking - HE didn't know what he was thinking (according to him now) - he just impulsively ran at them. Into an armed group of men. Another example - in a group talking session here, a group of girls who knew Jahar (DT) before he was infamous admitted to having crushes on DT that developed AFTER the bombing. Saw him on the news, saw what he was accused of doing, saw the people missing limbs - and feel like they are romantically interested in him. Years from now I imagine they'll look back and wonder wtf they were thinking. But at this maturity level these emotions aren't necessarily registering the way they will as fully formed mature people.

So yes, I think however we feel about it, it is completely possible and not even uncommon for there to be a disconnect between seeing the news footage of horrible pain, suspecting their friend was involved, having the impulse to "save" him, ditching the evidence, and then under questioning by the feds confessing to taking the stuff and telling them which dumpster they used. In the interrogation they apparently said they started to freak out after returning home and watching more news footage - it started to sink in. And then they heard that someone they KNEW was killed - Tamerlan, the older brother. Then they start to really get it. The time progression was just different.

I don't think it takes away from the seriousness of their actions to say it's not uncommon to have this disconnect at that maturity level. IMO it's just lucky that the relative seriousness of the consequences of this are usually pretty minor. In this case the consequences of that same disconnect was major.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214