Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #10 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, shooed her away to another room like seen on the video of DT and niece when he was on his computer.
I have a feeling his wife spent more time at her parents house than with him...

Perhaps, shooed her away to another room like seen on the video of DT and niece when he was on his computer.
IMO he was playing with her -- she looked like she was having fun and so was he the big kiss at the end kinda sums it up IMO

Apologies if already posted:

snipped
BBM

Federal authorities are skeptical of Ms. Russell’s insistence that she played no role in the attack or in helping the brothers elude the authorities after the F.B.I. released photographs of them. That skepticism has been stoked by Ms. Russell’s decision in recent days to stop cooperating with the authorities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/u...ned-july-fourth-attack.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=2&

The article you have linked lists a variety of statements and confessions that DT is supposed to have made whilst critically ill in hospital. However, the "public safety exception" to Miranda, which allows questioning before advising of Miranda rights, is very limited and does not allow for questioning designed to illicit confessions:

"The "public safety" exception to Miranda is a powerful tool with a modern application for law enforcement. When police officers are confronted by a concern for public safety, Miranda warnings need not be provided prior to asking questions directed at neutralizing an imminent threat, and voluntary statements made in response to such narrowly tailored questions can be admitted at trial. Once the questions turn from those designed to resolve the concern for safety to questions designed solely to elicit incriminating statements, the questioning falls outside the scope of the exception and within the traditional rules of Miranda."

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/february2011/legal_digest

I don't think so. Given their suspicions about him and the bombing, I imagine most college students/friends of his would not want DT's laptop anywhere near them under the circumstances.
And yet they kept it...lol

not sure why you don't think they would keep it when it's a fact that they did

One possibility I think hasn't been considered enough when it comes to both KT and the three arrested today is the middle option: none of them knew anything about the bombing, but one or all may have been sympathetic enough to the T brothers' radical views that they weren't terribly horrified by what they had done, or at least not nearly as horrified as the average person would have been. For every terrorist, there must be many more people who share their beliefs but wouldn't consider acting on it.

This is particularly likely, IMO, in the case of KT. There is nothing wrong with a person of any religious becoming more observant; it is rarer to see someone become a devout practitioner of a religion she was not born into, but still not anything to raise alarm bells. But in KT's case, we know that she became a devout Muslim under the guidance of a husband who we now know was a radical Islamist. So while it is certainly possible that a) his views were less extreme at the time of their marriage, and/or b) she was inspired to convert by TT, but got her formal religious training from a more moderate person, there's a reasonable chance that the version of Islam she was introduced to was the same radical one her husband followed.

That doesn't mean she planted a bomb, that she knew about the plan, or that she even thinks it was the right thing to do. But she may well be sympathetic enough to the cause to justify what her husband and brother in law did, which would explain why, for instance, she isn't being as cooperative as many of us think we would be in her shoes.

Young adults, not making much money why throw away a perfectly good computer

Friday, April 19, early morning:

Friend 1: So what are we gonna do with the laptop? I think we should ditch it too.

Friend 2: Naah, it's a cool laptop, we just wipe the harddrive!

Friend 3: Good idea, but let's first check if Jahal has his facebook password saved, I wanna erase my pictures on his wall.

Friend 1: Cool. Do that.

Friend 2: Oh yea, let's do that. Just so we don't get into trouble!

a while later ...

Friend 3: Hey, wait, did you hear that? What is going on out there?

Friend 1: Someone calling Jahar, saying he should come out.

Friend 3: But he's not here.

Friend 2: Did they say "You're arrested"?

Friend 1: Who's arrested?

Friend 3: OMG! What we do? what we do??

Friend 1: Calm down, Jahar is not here, we are perfectly ok. Everything is cool.

Friend 3: OMG they're coming in! OMG OMG!!

Friend 1: Quick! hide the laptop under the bed!

Friend 2: Cool.

loud knock on door ...

And we know what happened next.

Probably not totally accurate ...

Until we can cross over to there is no difference between what terrorist bombs do and what bombs of war do one will never understand them.

The numbers speak for themselves.

All these causalities ARE someones mother, brother, sister, aunt …….just like victims here.

[snip]

Not going to discuss this at length here, but I would hope that most people would be able to understand that, whether one supports the pretext for a war or not, there is indeed a difference between military actions that result in civilian casualties and the targeted and indiscriminate killing of civilians. It doesn't help the people killed or their loved ones, but it is a moral difference, and one I think it is reasonable to expect to occur to someone at some point before he straps a bomb to his chest or drops a bomb bag next to an eight year old.

Are your alert buttons broken???

:chillout:

Rule number 1: Members don't tell each other how to post.

Rule number 2: Opinions must be based on fact. Idle speculation doesn't cut it. If you want to rationally argue a point, that's fine, but be prepared to link it up.

The article you have linked lists a variety of statements and confessions that DT is supposed to have made whilst critically ill in hospital. However, the "public safety exception" to Miranda, which allows questioning before advising of Miranda rights, is very limited and does not allow for questioning designed to illicit confessions:

"The "public safety" exception to Miranda is a powerful tool with a modern application for law enforcement. When police officers are confronted by a concern for public safety, Miranda warnings need not be provided prior to asking questions directed at neutralizing an imminent threat, and voluntary statements made in response to such narrowly tailored questions can be admitted at trial. Once the questions turn from those designed to resolve the concern for safety to questions designed solely to elicit incriminating statements, the questioning falls outside the scope of the exception and within the traditional rules of Miranda."

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/february2011/legal_digest
It was a brillant strategy! Everything he said can not be used againist him in a court of law. IMO, he got out all the big stuff, cant be used in court of law until Maranda

Minute Miranda poof quiet.

It was a brillant strategy! Everything he said can not be used againist him in a court of law. IMO, he got out all the big stuff, cant be used in court of law until Maranda

Minute Miranda poof quiet.

They have proof though, they don't need his confession in court. Otherwise they would not have allowed him to tell all this without reading him his rights first. moo

JMO, but I think DT is talking. We heard about his earliest statements before he was Mirandized then nothing more for days. Now that this lawyer who specializes in making deals to avoid the death penalty is on board and new revelations are coming out. I think a deal is in progress or already made, but all speculation on my part.

RE: Apartment size
5 rooms. I read that somewhere along the way, days ago, so no link. But I remember it well, because at the time I thought that was awfully small for a family with 4 kids. But probably 3 bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. And the rent was $1200/mo and the Mother in Dagestan would send a check for it. That was according to the landlady who lives downstairs.

RE: 6 pressure cookers in apartment

By the looks of the apartment in the photos, they could just throw some more clothes over them. No one would notice a thing.

I am not going to be all that surprised if KRT ends up getting arrested. Just a hinky feeling I have (have had all along).

And yet they kept it...lol

not sure why you don't think they would keep it when it's a fact that they did

I believe it's possible someone may have wanted to clean it up a bit (but not necessarily keep it for himself), or were deciding upon a good place to ditch it before were interrupted.

We don't yet know all that's on it: emails, chats, etc.

They have proof though, they don't need his confession in court. Otherwise they would not have allowed him to tell all this without reading him his rights first. moo

That's true and I refuse to believe a 19 year old kid without legal representation outsmarted the feds when it comes to the complexities of the Miranda laws. People talking like this is the federal governments first big case...lol

Perhaps we have a different idea of what constitutes a conscience.

IMO, a person with a conscience (regardless of ideology) does not harm others, let alone detonate bombs that kill and maim others. I stand by my belief.

Citing ancient Biblical history does not persuade me to agree with anyone who may follow another ideology. As far as I'm concerned, zealotry of every stripe is a root cause of many historic conflicts, but it does not justify heinous actions against others.

My husband has killed and maimed many. I assure you he has a conscience.

I believe it's possible someone may have wanted to clean it up a bit (but not necessarily keep it for himself), or were deciding upon a good place to ditch it before were interrupted.

We don't yet know all that's on it: emails, chats, etc.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then... I can't see keeping that computer for any other reason than one of the 3 was going to have a new computer to use...lol

In the end it probably doesn't matter why they didn't throw out the computer, it's just a side story for speculation after all, the fact is they didn't and now the FBI has it.

From the link originally posted by Just_K

Boston suspects had plotted July 4 attack, investigators say
By Pete Williams and Jeff Black, NBC News

"The brothers accused in the Boston Marathon bombings originally planned to set off explosives on July 4 — but changed their minds and decided on Patriot’s Day, officials with knowledge of suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s interrogation told NBC News."

The article says they pretty much know where and how the bombs were constructed but are still trying to figure out where the components came from.

"Officials say the surviving suspect also said the bombs were built in the house of his brother, Tamerlan. Authorities had previously disclosed that explosive residue had been found there.
And a backpack that officials say was snatched from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s dorm room then thrown away by three of his friends before being recovered is providing some clues on the bombs."

The article also discusses the vaseline and how it is used. Its a good article.

Didn't realize explosive residue was found at TT's home??!

I am skeptical myself. I am not sure why some posters are so convinced she didn't know anything. And we can't even get a straight answer on whether she lived in the apartment with TT or not.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I have voiced my inclination to think she's not involved (which is different from being 'convinced') simply b/c she hasn't been allowed by her atty to reveal much of anything--and I've seen nothing incriminating yet. So, due to lack of knowledge I refrain from assuming the worst. (JMO...I do not assume she's not talking due to guilt; I assume people in this situation are not talking due to atty advice which they are paying dearly for. There's a time and place to talk, and usually it's later, not sooner, from the perspective of a good defense atty.)

To each their own; we all go with our own instincts and experience in making these judgment calls.

That's true and I refuse to believe a 19 year old kid without legal representation outsmarted the feds when it comes to the complexities of the Miranda laws. People talking like this is the federal governments first big case...lol

I have no doubt he would have asked for a lawyer though in those 16 hours of interrogation which will ignite more issues at the May 30 hearing. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks