The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few events in this lifetime that I can remember exactly what I was doing and the death of Diana is one of them. I sat for hours in a rocking chair holding my sleeping baby grandson and watching the news on the TV. I didn't dare move as I would wake him up and I couldn't move because I couldn't do anything but weep. Daughter finally came home and took the little guy and still I watched and cried.

Me too, Sassy. I was in my home office fooling around on my computer when the news popped up. I was stunned. Then we watched it all unfold on TV for days. A vivid memory is when Charles, William and Harry came to Kensington Palace and viewed all the flowers left in Diana’s honor. They were so poised, and even thanked people. I just wanted to wrap those boys in hugs. I couldn’t imagine having to grieve in public. :(

Me too, Sassy. I was in my home office fooling around on my computer when the news popped up. I was stunned. Then we watched it all unfold on TV for days. A vivid memory is when Charles, William and Harry came to Kensington Palace and viewed all the flowers left in Diana’s honor. They were so poised, and even thanked people. I just wanted to wrap those boys in hugs. I couldn’t imagine having to grieve in public. :(

The thing that still amazes me is that flowers weren’t just left at the palaces in London they were left in town squares up and down the whole country. I remember going into Glasgow (Scotland) to sign the book of condolence with my mum and put flowers down. The whole square was a sea of flowers I have never seen so many flowers. People of all ages were absolutely devastated and it was abnormally silent. So many were in tears I had never seen anything like it before and I will never forget it. It is incredible the impact Princess Diana had both when she was alive and when she tragically died.

It was very uncomfortable and distressing watching the young princes go out and look at the tributes to their Mother and see them also at the funeral. The image of the funeral floral arrangement on top of the Princess’s coffin with the ‘Mummy’ card has always stayed with me. My heart just broke for them.

Is one amused? Queen cracks joke when unwitting American tourists fail to recognise her on Balmoral estate

Queen cracks joke when unwitting American tourists fail to recognise her on Balmoral estate | Daily Mail Online

Unaware of who she was they struck up a conversation and asked her if she lived in the area to which she replied that she did indeed have a house nearby.

They went on to question whether she had ever met the Queen herself.

Not wanting to reveal who she enjoyed a private joke as she gestured towards Mr Griffin and said: 'No but this policeman has.'

I love stories like this. ❤️

The floodgates just opened up when I heard the recessional, John Tavener’s Song for Athena. I had to sleuth to find the composer, and what a composer he was. His music is gorgeous.

It didn’t really sink in until Diana’s funeral service. A devastingly sad time for The UK and the world.

Quiz: The Royals Are Hiring: Which Open Role Is Right for You?

I got:
:D Furniture Conservator

For this role, you’ll be based in an on-site workshop at Windsor Castle, taking care of historical furniture and supervising restorations for anything that has seen better days. The goal: To treat pieces that will sit in the castle hundreds of years from now. And to guarantee that the queen never sits on a subpar loveseat.
I got Furniture Conservator too @Niner :D
We should team up & maybe try following in the artisan footsteps of the great Chippendales
;)

giphy.gif
:eek: Ooops... Wrong Chippendales ??
ETA: I'll do some research, but I wonder if the Rose & Crown at WDW World Showcase is named after this pub in Berkshire? Rose & Crown Dining Room
o_O When I think about it I can't say I've ever been in (or even that I know of :confused: ) any pubs actually named '*Crown & Rose*'
Not that I'm aware of anyway...
And admittedly there has been a fair few over the years :rolleyes:
:oops: Roses, Crowns, Kings, Lions, Heads, Ducks<?lol ... We've got so many pubs over here most which named with any number of variations of there... Duh :p

It was just so sad. I was on the way back from a club in the small hours, very worse for wear, when the radio was interrupted with a newsflash that there'd been an accident and Dodi Fayed had died. Next morning (prob nearer lunchtime!) I finally surfaced and went downstairs to find my boyfriend's mum sobbing her heart out watching TV, and I learnt Diana had passed away too. Worst hangover day ever.

The footage of William and Harry looking at flowers and walking at the funeral haunts us all, and it's why we've remained so fond and protective of them both.

I feel that had Diana lived she'd have caused a storm at times, but I think she and Charles (and respective partners) would have got on just fine. She'd have been an amazing grandma to all the kids as well as an exceptional charity ambassador and a gorgeous, kind and strong role-model for women world over.

There are three historic events that I remember in minute detail: Kennedy assassination, Challenger explosion, and Princess Diana's death. For the latter, DH and I had driven up north on Friday to spend the Labor Day weekend at DH's boss' cottage on Grand Traverse Bay. Their children were already back in school, so they weren't going to be using the cottage and said we were welcome to spend the holiday weekend there. Our beloved Jack Russell Terrier loved swimming in the big lake and walks along the beach. There was no cable TV at the cottage, and the TV had only three or four local channels. We had just finished watching a video of Edward Scissorhands and turned on the 11:00PM news before going to bed.

At that time, the accident was being reported, Fayed had died in the crash, but that Diana was hospitalized in Paris. In the morning, we learned that Princess Diana had died :( We had originally planned to head home later in the day on Sunday to avoid the Labor Day rush. We were going to stop in Traverse City for shopping and early dinner but decided to leave sooner and drive straight home. News junkie that I am, I couldn't be away from 24/7 cable news! I stayed glued to the TV for the next several days and got up in the wee hours to watch the funeral. Rest in peace, beautiful lady...

Last edited:
I remember the early reports that she was okay and then it seemed to be very quiet - then it was announced she died and I remember being very sad for the boys- I’ve since watched the many documentaries and the interview in her own words - we lost someone important that day IMO but I think she influenced many especially the boys and they seem to be carrying on her tradition of humanitarian work

There are a few events in this lifetime that I can remember exactly what I was doing and the death of Diana is one of them...
It was just so sad. I was on the way back from a club in the small hours, very worse for wear, when the radio was interrupted with a newsflash that there'd been an accident and Dodi Fayed had died.
:rolleyes: This^ was the same for me ... getting home to hear the earliest reports saying Dodi had been killed, Diana had been injured but there was nothing really of much concern at that point :(
Being the ever-organised young raver back then I still had to pack my hoilday gear & get to the other side of country for early a.m. flight (Manchester) :confused: So as we were hearing the dramatic news reports coming in we were just stunned & confused, how this had so horribly changed so quickly?
It was surreal.
;) *we made the flight (just) then hit our duty-free vodka to toast Diana & Dodi.
... I remember going into Glasgow (Scotland) to sign the book of condolence with my mum and put flowers down. The whole square was a sea of flowers I have never seen so many flowers.
I missed all this & thankfully all the drama going on in the U.K. in the immediate aftermath.:confused:
One thing I'll always remember was every screen in the resort showing the funeral & the entire area near every single one was packed-out with holiday makers from all corners of Europe together watching.

Princess Diana Flowers at Buckingham Palace
gettyimages-1150395-1502493915.jpg

Flowers laid 5 feet deep outside of Buckingham Palace

QibwZCT.jpg

Kensington Palace - Diana floral tributes
TELEMMGLPICT000138277063_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqe5jTtuvhyhg4PHi86V8a0p815QE7DqplUJlHpAWoYtg.jpeg
31st August 2017
The day Diana died: How Glasgow came to a standstill to remember the People’s Princess

The day Diana died: How Glasgow came to a standstill to remember the People’s Princess

881F3E1F-78DD-4282-A719-CE2FCD4DD047.jpeg

Kate Middleton and Prince William sneak out to pub for pie with the children

“But the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are more likely to go for the shepherd’s pie at the Old Boot Inn with children George, six, Charlotte, four, and one year-old Louis when visiting the rellies at Kate’s home village of Bucklebury in Berkshire.

Landlord Andre Claassen told us: “I think they like coming here because people leave them alone.

“No one bothers them or asks for selfies.

“It’s hard to know what to say when you go and talk to William, but he’s very friendly.”

Kate Middleton and Prince William sneak out to pub for pie with the children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member