The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

The floodgates just opened up when I heard the recessional, John Tavener’s Song for Athena. I had to sleuth to find the composer, and what a composer he was. His music is gorgeous.

It didn’t really sink in until Diana’s funeral service. A devastingly sad time for The UK and the world.

Such a glorious composition by Sir John Tavener and beautifully sung by the Westminster Abbey Choir.

:D This one's dedicated to @Niner

Thanks to her own Kokoshnik pic. we have a great example of just how this specific design for some of the worlds greatest Tiaras! evolved.

- sorry only 5 pics allowed so I'm afraid I had to sacrifice the 'glittering-gif' - :p
Tsarina-Tiaras!
The Romanovs had one of the most impressive jewellery collections of all times. None of the current Houses, not even the British one, can match the splendour of the Romanov Court. One of the most interesting and, unfortunately, mysterious parures belonged to Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, wife of Alexander III and mother of Nicholas II.
58842642_2147379018709156_329342112303025810_n.jpg
While pretty much every Russian imperial tiara! has a bit of mystery to it, this one comes with extra intrigue. It was essentially an unknown piece of Russian treasure until evidence of its existence was unearthed in :eek: 2012...

Mineralogist and gemologist George F. Kunz, who worked for the USGS as well as Tiffany & Co., left his private library to the government agency when he died. Among his treasures was a large book with a nondescript exterior and a title plate in Russian that turned out to translate to The Russian Diamond Fund, with a publication date of 1922.

Kunz’s book was a photo album of pieces of Russian jewelry. The USGS compared the album to another publication, Russia’s Treasure of Diamonds and Precious Stones, published in 1925 and regarded as the most complete inventory of the Russian crown jewels which were seized by the new state after the revolution,

tumblr_n38apug85q1qiu1coo1_1280.png

Romanov treasures taken by the Bolsheviks
...they discovered that their 1922 album included photos of four additional pieces, mysteriously not included in the 1925 inventory and thus unknown to most jewel scholars: an emerald and diamond necklace, a sapphire and diamond bracelet, a sapphire and diamond bow brooch, and a sapphire and diamond diadem...

_sw3.jpg
Investigation into its provenance produced a sketch that seems to depict the piece.*

..identified as one of the jewels worn to the 1874 wedding of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and the Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna of Russia by Marie Feodorovna, the Tsarevna, wife of the heir. The same piece may be the diadem depicted in a portrait of her from the same year.

_sw2.jpg

Marie Feodorovna portrait and the sketch referenced
These illustrations indicate that the tiara was originally worn attached to a traditional fabric covered kokoshnik headdress which was topped by what appears to be a diamond rivière.
Sapphire%2BWave%2BTiara%2B%2528%2529%2BEmpress%2BMaria%2BFeodorovna%2B1-2.jpg

The Russian Sapphire “Wave” Tiara
...the story behind these four pieces remains a mystery..

The USGS research team was able to determine that the brooch was sold at an auction in 1927, but other record of what happened to these gems seems nonexistent so far.:(

*The actual sketch is in the Royal Trust Collection which is here:
Nicholas Chevalier sketch of Tsesarevna Maria Feodorovna-1874
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Russian Sapphire “Wave” Tiara

The floodgates just opened up when I heard the recessional, John Tavener’s Song for Athena. I had to sleuth to find the composer, and what a composer he was. His music is gorgeous.

It didn’t really sink in until Diana’s funeral service. A devastingly sad time for The UK and the world.

I'm adding additional commentary to the above post.

I was so sad when Diana's casket was delivered to the hearse and the hearse drove away without any family members following behind her.

Here in the U.S. an entourage of family members follows the hearse that is transporting the casket of their loved one (on every step of the way), so that that the departed Loved One is never alone on their Journey from this Life and the Transition into the Next World.

In Tribute to Diana:

Your Light Still Shines, Diana.
Your Voice Still Rings, though bells have long been silent.
Your Beauty, still it sings.

You never were a Candle in the Wind,
As portrayed in poem and song.

Instead, You were and are the Wind...
And Ever Will Be.

You were and are the Wind...
And Ever Will Be.

~ Sorrell Skye, In Tribute to the People's Princess, Diana

Last edited:
I'm adding additional commentary to the above post.

I was so sad when Diana's casket was delivered to the hearse and the hearse drove away without any family members following behind her.

Here in the U.S. an entourage of family members follows the hearse that is transporting the casket of their loved one (on every step of the way), so that that the departed Loved One is never alone on their Journey from this Life and the Transition into the Next World.

In Tribute to Diana:

And Ever Will Be.

And Ever Will Be.

I understand what you are saying but it is nearly a two hour 76.6 mile drive from Westminster Abbey to the Althorp Estate where Princess Diana is buried. It would have been difficult to follow the hearse with it going so slow and people throwing flowers at it much of the way. The hearse had to stop repeatedly because the driver couldn’t see for the amount of flowers being thrown. There would have been security concerns as well to consider with Prince Charles and Prince William and Prince Harry.

I’m sure if Diana was watching down she would know how beloved she was by her loved ones and the public. I don’t think she could have had a better funeral and burial place.

I understand what you are saying but it is nearly a two hour 76.6 mile drive from Westminster Abbey to the Althorp Estate where Princess Diana is buried. It would have been difficult to follow the hearse with it going so slow and people throwing flowers at it much of the way. The hearse had to stop repeatedly because the driver couldn’t see for the amount of flowers being thrown. There would have been security concerns as well to consider with Prince Charles and Prince William and Prince Harry.

I’m sure if Diana was watching down she would know how beloved she was by her loved ones and the public. I don’t think she could have had a better funeral and burial place.

At what part during the processional did Prince Charles, William, and Harry begin to walk behind her horse-drawn casket?

ACK!! The Fish & Chip place is permanently closed.... :(
What about this one?
Paddy Whelan's Pub
Address
: Grēcinieku street 4, Rīga

As befits a proper pub,:D we have no shortage of burgers, sandwiches and various Irish delicacies such as...
Irish steak and Guinness pie,...
(the traditional Shepherd’s pie or the ever popular Fish & chips).

paddy_03092015_199.jpg
;) Their burgers don't look too bad either.
2015-inter-2.jpg
101829434-emoji-with-green-st-patrick-s-day-hat-with-four-leaf-clover-irish-emoticon-holding-beer-isolated-on-.jpg

"..fish-and-chips were nicely cooked...
Guinness was good and I enjoyed that they make a shamrock on top of your beer" :)

"Best Irish in town by far. I have a Fish and Chips addiction, theirs is top in the city."

"Again a fair walk from the old city but well worth the trek as the fish and chips were :eek: as good as in Whitbys finest. "

- I personally doubt that - :D
Paddy Whelan's Pub

I think Sir Elton John's tribute, however well-meaning, (a rewrite of Candle in the Wind) diminishes Diana's light.
I reject the idea that Princess Diana was a "candle in the wind". As far as I'm concerned, a 'candle in the wind' denotes weakness.

I don't believe for a single second that Princess Diana was weak - a feeble candle flame at risk of being snuffed out by a passing breeze.

I think Princess Diana was a Force to be Reckoned With.

As I stated in the poem I wrote in tribute to her, I believe Princess Diana was the Wind.

In Tribute to Diana:

And Ever Will Be.

And Ever Will Be.

They followed the Princesses coffin from Kensington Palace (Her Home) to Westminster Abbey for the service which is 2.8 miles.

My point is: In the video posted above, I didn't see any family members entering vehicles who accompanied Princess Diana after the hearse left Westminster Abbey.

I saw the hearse leaving Westminster Abbey without any vehicles transporting family members.

I saw Princess Diana's hearse driving all alone.

I find that extremely sad.

My point is: In the video posted above, I didn't see any family members entering vehicles who accompanied Princess Diana after the hearse left Westminster Abbey.

I saw the hearse leaving Westminster Abbey without any vehicles transporting family members.

I saw Princess Diana's hearse driving all alone.

I find that extremely sad.

They did follow on slightly later. Remember the hearse was going 20 mph at best with people throwing flowers and it had to stop constantly as the driver couldn’t see out the windscreen. The motorway and roads were closed and people were lined up at the side of the road for miles and miles. Someone could have rushed the car carrying the princes which would have been a security concern. As long as the Princesses loved ones were at the service and burial that’s all that really matters.

The Duchess of Sussex has hired Sunshine Sachs, a PR firm that tried to rehabilitate the images of Michael Jackson and Harvey Weinstein.

Meghan enlisted the company in light of a string of controversies, including flying in private jets while encouraging people to look after the environment.

The 38-year-old broke with Royal tradition, hiring the organisation without the knowledge of the Windsors.

Sunshine Sachs has been accused of using 'dark arts' to improve the reputations of celebrities.

Meghan Markle snubs Palace PR team to hire Hollywood firm that Harvey Weinstein enlisted | Daily Mail Online

This is a great idea get your name associated with Weinstein.

All the Duchess of Sussex has to do is fly commercial, buy less Givenchy and more Zara, J. Crew and take photos with the poor and the sick it’s not difficult.

The Duchess of Sussex has hired Sunshine Sachs, a PR firm that tried to rehabilitate the images of Michael Jackson and Harvey Weinstein.

Meghan enlisted the company in light of a string of controversies, including flying in private jets while encouraging people to look after the environment.

The 38-year-old broke with Royal tradition, hiring the organisation without the knowledge of the Windsors.

Sunshine Sachs has been accused of using 'dark arts' to improve the reputations of celebrities.

Meghan Markle snubs Palace PR team to hire Hollywood firm that Harvey Weinstein enlisted | Daily Mail Online

This is a great idea get your name associated with Weinstein.

All the Duchess of Sussex has to do is fly commercial, buy less Givenchy and more Zara, J. Crew and take photos with the poor and the sick it’s not difficult.

And maybe stop making hypocritical, passive-aggressive IG posts
17984962-7420443-The_Duke_and_Duchess_of_Sussex_have_shared_an_inspirational_quot-a-68_1567451518624.jpg

This posting of quotes that you don't fulfill in your own life is making her look very manipulative and foolish.

Don't go lecturing about making peace and building until you straighten out your relationship with your father. And don't deny Archie the chance to know his grandfather.

She would be much better off if she would just Shut Up.

There is a great deal to be learned about the wisdom of not needing to have the last word......

I just don't get H and M. I think they just need to go to Africa and be out of sight , out of mind for a while. At the current moment, they look like hypocrites. They contradict what they preach. They are not acting like mature adults but like spoiled brats.

I know the M's dad said things to news outlets but he has not murdered anyone, has not abused her as a child (at least not any abuse that I know about), raised her during the hard to raise teen years, sent her to private schools, etc. He needs to keep his mouth shut no doubt, but is talking to the paps to get money (since he apparently lives in poverty) enough to cut contact forever??? There is more to this story.

I know the M's dad said things to news outlets but he has not murdered anyone, has not abused her as a child (at least not any abuse that I know about), raised her during the hard to raise teen years, sent her to private schools, etc. He needs to keep his mouth shut no doubt, but is talking to the paps to get money (since he apparently lives in poverty) enough to cut contact forever??? There is more to this story.

Think of what Harry had to go through with his parent's very visible divorce, his mother's terrible unhappiness, and then her death.

But Harry managed to get back a relationship with the father that wronged his mother, and a relationship with the hussy who engendered such resentment in her. He had a very heavy emotional toll to overcome and it seems as though he has come through that and dealt with a situation that is far more difficult than anything we have been told about her father.

I just think of the way she manipulated his exclusion at the wedding so that when she entered the church, she was All Alone on Center stage.

The more I see of her, the more I see a very driven narcissist. (yeah, I said it).

Yup because they did a great job with Weinstein and Jackson, completely rehabilitated their images :rolleyes: . If I remember correctly its the same PR company Jussie Smollett hired too after his incident

I think most of the problems have come from H&M trying to control the story, trying to craft an image. The friends, make up artist etc. speaking out about what a great person Meghan is and how anyone who criticizes her is racist or a hater is whats causing the problems, these things will not be solved by more PR interference. I don't think I've ever seen an actual friend of another RF member speaking about them in the press. When you try to craft an image it comes off as insincere to most.

If you look at Camilla, that is a woman that was hated by so many people and she has become one of peoples favourite RF members through consistency, doing her job, showing up and just being pleasant. It took years if not decades but that is someone who completely rehabilitated her image from within the confines of the RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm