Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the presser today, Miawpukek First Nation Chief Mi’sel Joe said, “We want them to come home safely. We ask everyone across Canada and the world to pray with us that we can find and rescue the Titan.”

Not sure it will work, but not sure it won't. Might, might not. I don't have any big ships to help them so this is it -- a hope and a prayer.

Those guys in the sub have got to be tired, worried and frightened now, as are their loved ones.

Chief Joe's request, Prayers UP. Bring them home safely.

JMO
The Inspiring Story of Chief Mi’sel Joe

I think 18 is the age they are allowed to go on that sub.
He's old enough to join the navy (for example) so I don't see how he's too young to make his own decision here.
If a 19 year old jumps off a 2nd floor balcony into a hotel pool and breaks his neck we think - well he's young and stupid. If a 45 year old does that we think - well he's stupid. We know there's a difference.

More equipment on the way​

We're now hearing there is a lot of equipment flowing in from St John's.

The French team coming in is bringing some "state of the art equipment".

The US Coast Guard plans to have more assets in the area soon, which will be placed in the spots they determine to be best for the search.

If a 19 year old jumps off a 2nd floor balcony into a hotel pool and breaks his neck we think - well he's young and stupid. If a 45 year old does that we think - well he's stupid. We know there's a difference.
What I don't 'get' is WHY there is no emergency way to open this submersible from the INSIDE if necessary! (of course, I mean from the ocean surface if they get there). I haven't seen any explanation of that yet. It seems like an essential thing to do!

I wondered why the sub wasn’t painted bright orange with manual reflectors like cruise ship life boats and reflectors? Agreed with the sea swell and white cabs of several feet, the white sub would decently blend in with the sea, but bright colors might stand a chance of being seen.

also once on surface, I would think all of the cell phones, watches etc would be drained down by now, especially with a power outage onboard, so no way to communicate Unfortunately.
I would think it is painted white or bright yellow to make it visible at depth. At deep depth, orange would appear black.

What I don't 'get' is WHY there is no emergency way to open this submersible from the INSIDE if necessary! (of course, I mean from the ocean surface if they get there). I haven't seen any explanation of that yet. It seems like an essential thing to do!
Likely because of the amount of pressure the seam has to withstand. They are probably using high powered tools to seal from the outside. Any kind of mechanism to open with a lever, etc., would not withstand the enormous amount of pressure that deep down.

Last edited:
Maybe this was posted previously (sorry, if a repeat)... Nargeolet made 35 trips to the Titanic.

Paul-Henri Nargeolet Has Made More Than 35 Titanic Site Trips

and he has participated in the recovery of many artifacts...

With over 5,500 artifacts recovered from the wreck site, these artifacts have been viewed by more than 35 million individuals through the Company’s highly successful exhibition, TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibition.

Modern day grave robbers imo.

Right = a hatch ❤️
Separate from the many -Bolted seals- on this thing. An inside hatch. So if you surfaced.. you could open a sky light, get some air.
Just sayin . God speed ! IMO

All aboard were fully aware of the risks. (imo, of course)

I have a hard time with the word "fully." Almost no one goes into a situation like this (or into an operating room) fully aware of the risks. A lot of expertise and research is needed to even assess the real risks of something like this.

Being told several times "You could die" is not sufficient for me to say they understood the risks. I am aware each time I go out on a boat or up into the sky on a plane that "I could die," but I really don't know all the things that could go wrong.

The 19 year old, in particular was not (imo) capable of assessing the risk.

OTOH, I suppose since 21 passengers had done this safely, the average person might say, "Not all that risky." To me, even a 1% risk is too much when it's not necessary. My students think it sounds great if only "One percent die" from something - but in fact, when I tell them that means, in the classroom that holds 200, 2 of them would be dead at the end of the activity, then they start to shift their perspective. If I tell a class of 50 that if there's a 1% chance of sniper fire as they walk to their cars, that means on average, one of them will die every other day. NO one says they think that sounds just fine.

So I believe people have to be taught some perspective. Seven voyages of Titans resulted in safe exploration for 21 people (plus 14 crew, of whom at least one was the same person each time, so I'm not going to count him, as he broke his record of safety). 34 people have apparently survived this procedure. 34-5. Those are the current odds. I believe that many younger people would think that sounded...okay. Most parents would say it does not sound okay, if they're assessing risk for their minor children (I would surely hope most parents would reject those risks).

But people do stuff every day that shows me their risk assessment ability is faulty and, for me, it takes real dialogue. My own work in SAR (on the lost person behavior aspect) and in National Parks has convinced me that Ghiglieri and other park rangers are right: a person making an important, risky decision all by themselves is almost always at risk. Someone trying to sell someone else risky behavior should face ethical and technical questioning. Two people trying to decide, actively, through dialogue, always fare better.

One of these passengers was a solo passenger. Then, there were the father-son duo. I figure that when a parent decides a risky thing is okay, it has real influence on offspring. I just can't get my mind to believe that the 19 year old was "fully" aware of what could happen. I will even go so far as to state that it's highly unlikely that the 19 year old was mentally ready to face what happened 2 hours into this voyage, when everything went dark.

IMO.

Maybe this was posted previously (sorry, if a repeat)... Nargeolet made 35 trips to the Titanic.

Paul-Henri Nargeolet Has Made More Than 35 Titanic Site Trips

and he has participated in the recovery of many artifacts...

With over 5,500 artifacts recovered from the wreck site, these artifacts have been viewed by more than 35 million individuals through the Company’s highly successful exhibition, TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibition.

Modern day grave robbers imo.

Is it just me, or is this photo on their site more than odd?

1687385337167.png

Like because of the amount of pressure the seam has to withstand. They are probably using high powered tools to seal from the outside. Any kind of mechanism to open with a lever, etc., would not withstand the enormous amount of pressure that deep down.

Military submarines can open their hatches from the inside..

In many countries he is considered an adult.

Sure he is, definitely in mine, but being 18 and being an actual adult aren't the same thing, even if it does say so on paper.
Life experience counts and at 19 years old, he hasn't had much.
There are decisions I made at 18/19/20 that I would never make now that I have lived and I know better. JMO

Well, in a way, I suppose you're correct. I wonder how much money has been made by the sale of tickets to view the artifacts? And, what has been done with that profit? Research, maybe?? I dunno.
They claim research.
With Robert Ballard research on using unmanned submersibles and high def cameras there is no need to make the trip nor bring up artifacts. Anyone can observe these items on camera from anywhere. Just as we can view Mars.

No link but I am a Ballard fan and read his books.

If they could open it, they’d die instantly from the water pressure/weight.

Going to view the Titanic wreckage in a sardine can that's held held together with some bolts and zip ties and is guided with a game controller... the huge risks are more than obvious. imo
snipped for focus
really sorry under these tragic circumstances but this spot on description made me laugh.
add in that the wreckage is 2 miles down and in a pitch black environment

just NO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members