Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for these people, it is not pleasant to think about their demise. I have no doubt that this is a recovery mission at this point in time.

Condolences to their friends, family, and people involved in this excursion. The workers involved in this are probably very deep into helplessness and reviewing everything that happened and what went wrong. I hope that they don't blame themselves. Things happen...that is usually how we learn what not to do in the future. Unfortunately.

Bbm.
I expect many experienced mariners would agree.

I'm not a sailor nor do I have experience with such matters, but I wouldn't even want to ride in a tested and secure submersible going down that far.
The closest I've been to an underwater experience was a glass-bottomed boat tour; and that's nowhere near a deep sea submersible.

I went on the submarine ride at Disneyland decades ago and even then felt a bit claustrophobic which is silly. I cannot imagine riding on a sub of any kind. What really freaks me out the most is the sub being bolted from the outside.

Not the deepest, darkest depths of it, not in person anyway. We can explore it without humans actually being there, right?

Heh! We may need humanity to live there someday if we continue destroying our world.

Let's explore this amazing universe, but do it in a way that builds on our knowledge of safety for the humans who explore. If the Titan had all the safety measures in place that we already know about, would we be looking at this disaster? We don't know yet, but we suspect that known and reliable safety measures were not taken and may have lead to today's sad results.

If I recall correctly, communication was lost with the submersible quite early on- my thinking is that something catastrophic occurred early on - I don't believe they ever made it down to the Titanic. JMO

I really hope they got to see it, but I fear not. It’s like when people die on Everest - better to have happened on the way back down. And there’s a point, actually, we don’t rescue all Everest bodies as some are too difficult to reach safely, so they lie where they died forever and double as way markers. See old green boots over there? Means we’re about half way.

I went on the submarine ride at Disneyland decades ago and even then felt a bit claustrophobic which is silly. I cannot imagine riding on a sub of any kind. What really freaks me out the most is the sub being bolted from the outside.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea ride terrified me as a child.

If something catostrophic happened, is it pretty much the same as cabin depressurization on an airplane? People just slipping into unconsciousness and never waking back up?
My understanding from what I've read here and elsewhere is that if there was any kind of hull breach, it's more like everything and everyone getting turned instantly into very, very small pieces. Very fast. The pressure difference at that depth is just too great. But I am not a scientist, so YMMV.

MOO

If I recall correctly, communication was lost with the submersible quite early on- my thinking is that something catastrophic occurred early on - I don't believe they ever made it down to the Titanic. JMO
The thing is... losing communication with the mothership has been a common occurrence in the past.

Mike Reiss told ABC News his submersible lost contact with its host ship on all four of his 10-hour dives, including his one trip to the Titanic.

A CBS correspondent who tried the now missing tourist submersible Titan said Tuesday that the vessel got lost for several hours during a dive in 2022.

David Pogue, who featured OceanGate Expeditions' submersible and its crew in a November CBS TV segment, said he wasn't in the vessel during this particular dive.

However, he was in the control room of the submersible's mother ship at the time, he tweeted Tuesday, adding that the crew shut off the internet on board. "It was quiet and very tense, and they shut off the ship's internet to prevent us from tweeting."

I find this interesting, about the timing on how long the Titan was gone and expected back last year when it went looking for the Titanic wreck, compared to the number of hours they were expecting the Titan to have been gone and return from this excursion; it seems longer than three hours according to the timeline posted upthread. Not sure if it matters a whole lot, JMO. (BBM):

""During an attempt to view the Titanic last summer when Pogue was aboard, the submersible couldn't find its way to the Titanic.

The ship on the surface, never lost contact with them and was trying to guide them to the ship, but they never found it. And after three hours, they gave up and rose to the surface without ever having seen the ship," he said."

Missing Titanic sub took on extreme danger, while 'breaking the rules'

The thing is... losing communication with the mothership has been a common occurrence in the past.

Mike Reiss told ABC News his submersible lost contact with its host ship on all four of his 10-hour dives, including his one trip to the Titanic.

A CBS correspondent who tried the now missing tourist submersible Titan said Tuesday that the vessel got lost for several hours during a dive in 2022.

David Pogue, who featured OceanGate Expeditions' submersible and its crew in a November CBS TV segment, said he wasn't in the vessel during this particular dive.

However, he was in the control room of the submersible's mother ship at the time, he tweeted Tuesday, adding that the crew shut off the internet on board. "It was quiet and very tense, and they shut off the ship's internet to prevent us from tweeting."
SBM "It was quiet and very tense, and they shut off the ship's internet to prevent us from tweeting."

This confirms my thought about the first 8 hours after the last communication with the sub on Sunday, damage control was their initial reaction vs get help! How many other close calls did the Titan have that are not known? I suspect more problems than successes. JMO

Heh! We may need humanity to live there someday if we continue destroying our world.

Let's explore this amazing universe, but do it in a way that builds on our knowledge of safety for the humans who explore. If the Titan had all the safety measures in place that we already know about, would we be looking at this disaster? We don't know yet, but we suspect that known and reliable safety measures were not taken and may have lead to today's sad results.
That is the troublesome part: that proper safety measures were not taken due to the cost of such measures-

I think this is why they waited so long to put out the alert that Titan was missing.

So many previous losses of communications - but in the past, after some hours, things were 'okay'.

2m ago
The family of British billionaire Hamish Harding, who is on board the missing Titan, has accused OceanGate of having taken “far too long” to report the sub’s disappearance.

Communications between the submersible and the surface vessel, Polar Prince, were lost at about 9.45am local time on Sunday, 1 hour and 45 minutes after starting its descent to the Titanic wreck. But it was not until 5.40pm local time that the US Coast Guard was made aware.

Kathleen Cosnett, a cousin of Harding, told the Telegraph:

It’s very frightening. [It] took so long for them to get going to rescue [them], it’s far too long. I would have thought three hours would be the bare minimum.

I'm guessing someone will do the cost analysis and determine when to cancel the search. It's difficult to consider that, but that is the reality. I don't think they will continue to search for very long at all but at that point perhaps there will be organized charitable donations to continue the search. Just guessing.
I think that if the rescue mission is declared over and it transitions into a recovery mission then it will continue. The French citizen on board the submersible is famous in his home country and since the equipment is already there, I believe it will continue. The deep water/seabed accessible equipment is already on site so I think they will continue to search and bring the remains home to their countries and families. The U.S. and Candian Coast Guards will likely continue to operate the command center.

It doesn't make sense to leave now, IMO, since all the equipment is now at the site. It looks like the marine community is a tight community, and I think they will want to take care of their own.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member