Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we had our own mining rescue here in Australia that everyone of my age, at least would know, in Beaconsfield. One killed in the initial collapse, but two successfully rescued.
I was just thinking of that, and many others. Somerton man Beaumont children, the little boy lost and others too numerous to mention.

Sounds like an excuse to justify bypassing basic standards.
”We are smarter than everyone else so…”
I don’t know if I agree with that. I mean clearly these people wanted to create something that worked. And they had to ensure that it worked very efficiently and safely otherwise they’d be wasting all the time and effort.

I think the issue is there are no standards to compare to something that doesn’t really exist?

The cast of millionaires and billionaires who pay £195,000 per seat for a trip to follow Titanic director James Cameron and descend to the most famous shipwreck in the world

According to this timeline from CNN, OceanGate Expeditions notified authorities that the vessel was missing 25 minutes after it was originally scheduled to resurface.
Sunday, June 18:
  • 9 a.m.: The dive operations starts.
  • 11:47 a.m.: The last communication between the vessel and surface staff of OceanGate, the group that was conducting the expedition, is recorded.
  • 6:10 p.m.: This is the time the vessel was originally scheduled to resurface.
  • 6:35 pm.: Authorities are notified and a response operation is initiated.
Coast Guard PC made me feel worse / not hopeful about rescue. OMG. Lost communication at 11:47am but when did the small DOT for the sub go off the screen at the mother-ship? Regardless of the time due home, If my daughter's DOT on cell phone tracking went away for no reason, frankly I'd panic. Doubtful it's just mothers who don't wait to call authorities. Lots of questions for the mother-ship staff.

JMO

According to this timeline from CNN, OceanGate Expeditions notified authorities that the vessel was missing 25 minutes after it was originally scheduled to resurface.
They may have let a preprogrammed trip run it's course even tho they couldn't communicate. Maybe they were sending commands to the sub not knowing if the sub received them? Hoping they would surface when the ride was over? They could have known something went wrong but waiting to confirm? The timeline is odd.

I had a thought that if it did notice a problem and went to try and resurface, like it says that it should, there could have been a malfunction there. If all the ballast did not get released, the sub could be suspended at any depth, making it even more difficult to find.

I once visited a museum that featured a real submarine you could go inside. I felt uncomfortable being inside, even above water. And I was inside by myself, just imagining what it would be like to be in close proximity to other passengers.
I did a tour of a navy submarine that was docked in California many years ago, and it was very uncomfortable and I was feeling extremley claustrophobic as we walked through it. The doorways to walk through as you moved from section to section (bent over, etc.) and the area with the bunk beds so small and tightly squeezed together, etc. You couldn't even stand up straight in any of these areas.

I couldn't imagine livng in a submarine and being deployed for months at a time as our submarine veterans did in WWII.

They gave it time to come to the surface, then reported it when it was a no show.

IMO, that may be because it had lost communication and/or got lost during past excursions. Then, came to the surface.

It may have been a reasonable choice given the history. IMO
I don’t know how it works but don’t they rely on the ship above to get back up?

I did a tour of a navy submarine that was docked in California many years ago, and it was very uncomfortable and I was feeling extremley claustrophobic as we walked through it. The doorways to walk through as you moved from section to section (bent over, etc.) and the area with the bunk beds so small and tightly squeezed together, etc. You couldn't even stand up straight in any of these areas.

I couldn't imagine livng in a submarine and being deployed for months at a time as our submarine veterans did in WWII.

I did the same thing at Baltimore Harbor and agree wholeheartedly.

And now!

"A former employee of OceanGate, the company whose submersible is now missing after diving towards the wreckage of the Titanic, warned in 2018 that the sub's safety could be compromised by poor "quality control and safety" protocols that "paying passengers would not be aware" of, according to a lawsuit."

From the court documents linked above:

"the viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters, although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters."

Last edited:
"A former employee of OceanGate, the company whose submersible is now missing after diving towards the wreckage of the Titanic, warned in 2018 that the sub's safety could be compromised by poor "quality control and safety" protocols that "paying passengers would not be aware" of, according to a lawsuit."

^^^^^^EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS ARTICLE^^^^^^

Guy tried to get them to listen to him about why they needed to test their rig properly, explained why, and instead of getting listened to, got fired immediately and only had minutes to clean out his desk.

MOO

Will OceanGate refund the cost of all the search and rescue operations? I think they should, JMO
As humans, we often do everything possible to save one another. Regardless of cost or risks taken. Especially when it comes to dangerous things like water voyages.

At the request of French President Emmanuel Macron, a French ship named Atalante is diverting to the area of the missing submissive and should reach the area Wednesday night.

The ship has an exploration robot that can dive up to 4,000 meters, according to a spokesman for France's Ifremer Institute.
It gratifies me that some many nations and agencies are trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mykand