TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT?!?! Abducted at a traffic light???? They were ALREADY in their car so they could've just taken off even in reverse if they had to! If there were cars behind and in front of them then there would've been witnesses and I'm sure they didn't go to a video store in that bad area that Alice253 was talking about.

I've never heard of a carjacking/abduction happen in such a manner. You ever heard of someone just sitting at a traffic light and someone approaches them to abduct them??? Usually they happen in a parking lot or sidewalk so they must've been either abducted at the restaurant or the video store.

What restaurant was it by the way?

I will try to find the article I read regarding the abduction happening at a traffic light.

Actually, carjackings happen at remote traffic lights fairly regularly - at least here in Atlanta - so I don't find it surprising that this could have happened to them. If you're at a light and not paying attention - I think four people could overpower two people in a car fairly quickly.

Or people get lost or turned around and wind up in a strange section of town at a light. It happens.

I know they had left the restaurant and were heading to a friend's house - I will try to see where I read the traffic light information but I;m not making any promises.

I will try to find the article I read regarding the abduction happening at a traffic light.

Actually, carjackings happen at remote traffic lights fairly regularly - at least here in Atlanta - so I don't find it surprising that this could have happened to them. If you're at a light and not paying attention - I think four people could overpower two people in a car fairly quickly.

Or people get lost or turned around and wind up in a strange section of town at a light. It happens.

I know they had left the restaurant and were heading to a friend's house - I will try to see where I read the traffic light information but I;m not making any promises.

it happens here a lot....traffic lights and drive thrus

WHAT?!?! Abducted at a traffic light???? They were ALREADY in their car so they could've just taken off even in reverse if they had to! If there were cars behind and in front of them then there would've been witnesses and I'm sure they didn't go to a video store in that bad area that Alice253 was talking about.

I've never heard of a carjacking/abduction happen in such a manner. You ever heard of someone just sitting at a traffic light and someone approaches them to abduct them??? Usually they happen in a parking lot or sidewalk so they must've been either abducted at the restaurant or the video store.

Well, imagine being carjacked on an L.A. freeway. :doh: LOL, yes! I saw it happen with my very own eyes, LIVE on tv.

It was a car chase that the driver had to abandon his car as it was disabled on the freeway. Stopped traffic and he jumped in a guys car and the guy jumped out the driver's side door but was caught in the seat belt. He was dragged for several feet before he finally broke free.:cool: phew!

Easy to be carjacked at a stop light. You betcha'.

JMHO
fran

PS....The lesson here is KEEP ALL YOUR DOORS LOCKED!

Well, imagine being carjacked on an L.A. freeway. :doh: LOL, yes! I saw it happen with my very own eyes, LIVE on tv.

It was a car chase that the driver had to abandon his car as it was disabled on the freeway. Stopped traffic and he jumped in a guys car and the guy jumped out the driver's side door but was caught in the seat belt. He was dragged for several feet before he finally broke free.:cool: phew!

Easy to be carjacked at a stop light. You betcha'.

JMHO
fran

PS....The lesson here is KEEP ALL YOUR DOORS LOCKED!

always do honey!!!

Knoxville is a city that is very spread out. Sometimes, especially around the downtown area, you have to drive through dangerous areas to get to where you are going. For those that live around the area, think Western Avenue to the Fort. Anytime I drive through that area with my kids, I make them slide down below the windows and I do to so that I can just see where I am going.

My BIL was a KPD officer and had to leave the East Knoxville beat due to threats on his life and the lives of his family members. You would not believe some of the stories about the area.

I am not trying to paint Knoxville as a dangerous place. I believe that it is no more so than any other city of its size. You just have to be aware of your surroundings as you do anywhere.

Knoxville is really a pleasant place with lots of opportunities for entertainment, dining, shopping and especially business. Three main interstates intersect there (75, 40 and 80). It is in the heart of the Tennessee valley and surrounded by the Smokey Mountains. The people are for the most part very gracious and friendly. However those few who aren't tend to be the bad apples that spoil the barrel.

Have you ever had a rifle pointed at you in anger?? If you had, you wouldn't be asking these kind of questions....

Have you ever had a rifle pointed at you in anger?? If you had, you wouldn't be asking these kind of questions....
most people havent honey....i for one have been mugged and know how that feels...i couldnt move...i would like to think next time i will kick their a%s

Look, I'm not bashing anyone. But... I have been stating this for a long time...

I live in Knoxville. I know people who knew these poor kids. I think these kids were copping coke off some bad folks and ended up dead. It's sad but true. The parents are good ole Southern Baptists and don't want their kids to be painted as people who might have partied pretty hard sometimes. You just don't get car jacked in Knoxville. And you don't just happen to end up in a house in that part of East Knox. Sorry. I have lived in and around here all my life... went to UT (twice) and I know that area (actually lived around there once... can't say it was a good part of my life). I am in NO WAY saying that these kids deserved any of what happened to them. I have been on many incarnations of this board for years, so you guys know I am not like that at all. What I am saying is that the whole story is not coming out. I think the local yokels are treating it the way the families and churches want it treated. Plain and simple. I don't believe this was random nor do I believeit was a car jacking.

How many car jackings end up with a dead body next to the abandoned vehicle very close to where the perp lives? That'd be crazy! The reason for a car jacking is usually to get money for the car or to get the car itself. Not to get a life or death sentence! I think it was some kids who thought they knew the game and got in way over their heads. I will be really surprised if it turns out that there were no drugs involved.

I am speaking from the perspective of someone who knows this community well and has even heard things through the grapevine. So, please don't think I'm mean for saying all of this. I swear I wish this had never happened!!

I just hate that older women I know are getting permits to carry concealed weapons and people are afraid to go to the mall. In my experience, very little in life is random or coincidental. I think the community is scared of random car jackings that just don't take place here. I wish that more would come out and maybe it will during the trial.

I will gladly eat crow and lock my doors extra tight if it turns out to be untrue about the victims knowing the perps through a drug connection.

And finally, I have no idea what this racial stuff is all about. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The only thing I can figure is that this little town I live in is stuck in a time that I would rather forget.

Just my two cents... please don't flame me too bad.

this is why, when i lived in baltimore, & i was driving at night, and i saw a black male walking in my direction when there was no one else in sight, i would look both ways (for cars and for cops)- and run the red light. no way was i going to just sit there like an idiot and get carjacked and killed. when you are looking at the POSSIBILITY of such a thing happening (and a rather high possibilityk, considering the place)-- you don't have time to be "PC" and take chances wiht your life. being "PC" can get you killed. and if i had been arrested for doing that, i would have said the exact same thing in court... do something about your god damn pathetic city, and people like me won't have to run red lights in order to keep themselves safe.

i wonder about the circumstances of this couple... many times people just sit there and wait to see what someone has to say, out of courtesy.. it's just instinct- before they run for their life in fear. we have been taught not to be afraid, and we are brainwashed to 'not appear prejudiced'. but by the time it takes to listen to what someone has to say, it's too late- you've been had. i have learned the hard way to let let black males get too close to me on the street- if you do, chances are they will be pulling a gun on you. it's happened to too many people everywhere, and too many people i personally know. and not all are alive to tell the tale. this is the only way to protect yourself in the inner city... especially as a white female- we are DOUBLE targets. they think we are vulnerable, 'easy pickins'- and you have to look them in the eye and keep enough distance between you & them to show them you are not. and, be prepared to run at any time. it could save your life.. and believe me, if your life is in danger, chances are there won't be a cop or anyone else around to help you. it's a sad state of affairs.

and if someone doesn't like what i have to say... don't blame me for merely describing the situation,, BLAME THEM.

and sariebell-- i see what you are trying to say.. and who knows if this will turn out to be the case... you could be right, that the whole story hasn't come out yet. but either way, the whole thing just sucks.

and it also sucks when older women from good neighborhoods feel like they have to carry concealed weaspons, but so be it... just ONCE i would so love to hear a story about a woman (or a man, anyone).. blowing the face off of some would-be carjacker/mugger/rapist. that would make my day!

Look, I'm not bashing anyone. But... I have been stating this for a long time...

I live in Knoxville. I know people who knew these poor kids. I think these kids were copping coke off some bad folks and ended up dead. It's sad but true. The parents are good ole Southern Baptists and don't want their kids to be painted as people who might have partied pretty hard sometimes. You just don't get car jacked in Knoxville. And you don't just happen to end up in a house in that part of East Knox. Sorry. I have lived in and around here all my life... went to UT (twice) and I know that area (actually lived around there once... can't say it was a good part of my life). I am in NO WAY saying that these kids deserved any of what happened to them. I have been on many incarnations of this board for years, so you guys know I am not like that at all. What I am saying is that the whole story is not coming out. I think the local yokels are treating it the way the families and churches want it treated. Plain and simple. I don't believe this was random nor do I believeit was a car jacking.

How many car jackings end up with a dead body next to the abandoned vehicle very close to where the perp lives? That'd be crazy! The reason for a car jacking is usually to get money for the car or to get the car itself. Not to get a life or death sentence! I think it was some kids who thought they knew the game and got in way over their heads. I will be really surprised if it turns out that there were no drugs involved.

I am speaking from the perspective of someone who knows this community well and has even heard things through the grapevine. So, please don't think I'm mean for saying all of this. I swear I wish this had never happened!!

I just hate that older women I know are getting permits to carry concealed weapons and people are afraid to go to the mall. In my experience, very little in life is random or coincidental. I think the community is scared of random car jackings that just don't take place here. I wish that more would come out and maybe it will during the trial.

I will gladly eat crow and lock my doors extra tight if it turns out to be untrue about the victims knowing the perps through a drug connection.

And finally, I have no idea what this racial stuff is all about. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The only thing I can figure is that this little town I live in is stuck in a time that I would rather forget.

Just my two cents... please don't flame me too bad.
Thanks for sharing. I have thought about the possiblity of drugs as well. But even then I just cant understand why all the rage in this case. I mean its not like they just shot them. I feel so bad for their family to have to hear all these awful detais about their children.

Thanks for the post, sariebell. It would be nice to know that it wasn't random as it is scary as all getout. Were these kids "car jacked" in a bad section of town? If the answer is "yes," then I would say you may be right. I thought that these kids were on their way to rent a video. If so, wouldn't that be froma "good" section of town?

If they were out to score some drugs, why on earth didn't these people just rip them off or sell them the drugs? What prompted these animals to do what they did??

I really don't know and I do truly think it's just horrible what happened to these poor kids. I think the perps were lower eschelon criminals mostly interested in getting money by robbing and dealing, so it is a good question about what went so sour. I wonder if there wasn't a bad deal somehow and some really ugly words came out or something. This gets to the point where there just is no logic behind all of these crimes that we discuss here. It takes some really heartless people to do these horrible things.

About the racism aspect of the case... I hadn't even considered it. I thought it was an outrageous idea. I still kinda do. But, I had some very intelligent friends over last night who really believe that the victims wouldn't have been treated to such an extreme had they been poverty level black kids. Maybe there is a point to it... I don't know. I do know that the community the boy was from (Halls) is historically a very racist area. It is getting better and I am very familiar with lots that community.

I also heard that the couple had met the perps at a party and that the girl had snubbed advances from one of the perps and the boy had taken up for her. I think the premise of the "party" might have been more like a drug house in East Knoxville than an ice cream social, but who knows. Maybe if you think these kids were at a drug party in a bad part of town, but with people they know... then there is an incident at the party or even a fight involving the couple... this leads up to the horrors that followed.

I guess when the trials happen there will be more info locally. I am mostly just upset that the story really hasn't come out. I know people get mugged occasionally and cars get stolen (from a parking space), but there really isn't a car jacking problem in Knoxville. Guess I should knock on wood...

Thanks for not flaming me. I really don't want to come off as a victim basher at all.

Saribelle,

Thanks so much for your perspective. I think you are right that more information will come out at trial and there are still lots of questions.

Regardless of what happened to lead up to the crime, I don't think anyone here believes those kids got what they deserved or anything like that. It's just a tragic event - anyway you slice it.

I really don't know and I do truly think it's just horrible what happened to these poor kids. I think the perps were lower eschelon criminals mostly interested in getting money by robbing and dealing, so it is a good question about what went so sour. I wonder if there wasn't a bad deal somehow and some really ugly words came out or something. This gets to the point where there just is no logic behind all of these crimes that we discuss here. It takes some really heartless people to do these horrible things.

About the racism aspect of the case... I hadn't even considered it. I thought it was an outrageous idea. I still kinda do. But, I had some very intelligent friends over last night who really believe that the victims wouldn't have been treated to such an extreme had they been poverty level black kids. Maybe there is a point to it... I don't know. I do know that the community the boy was from (Halls) is historically a very racist area. It is getting better and I am very familiar with lots that community.

I also heard that the couple had met the perps at a party and that the girl had snubbed advances from one of the perps and the boy had taken up for her. I think the premise of the "party" might have been more like a drug house in East Knoxville than an ice cream social, but who knows. Maybe if you think these kids were at a drug party in a bad part of town, but with people they know... then there is an incident at the party or even a fight involving the couple... this leads up to the horrors that followed.

I guess when the trials happen there will be more info locally. I am mostly just upset that the story really hasn't come out. I know people get mugged occasionally and cars get stolen (from a parking space), but there really isn't a car jacking problem in Knoxville. Guess I should knock on wood...

Thanks for not flaming me. I really don't want to come off as a victim basher at all.
You dont at all, thank you so much for your posts!!

Sariebell, you have an interesting theory but there are problems with it. The police do a good job in investigating the backgrounds of victims and if there was any kind of interaction with drug dealers in the history of that couple and IF it correlated to the crime then the police would've definitely mentioned.

Don't you see it would be to Knoxville's BENEFIT if they said it was drug related since they are scaring MORE people by letting this murder/rape be random which is the way it is now?

So, if this really were drug related the police would have been screaming that at the top of their lungs at the press conference to ease the minds of citizens and tourists in Knoxville that this was not so random after all.

Sariebell, you have an interesting theory but there are problems with it. The police do a good job in investigating the backgrounds of victims and if there was any kind of interaction with drug dealers in the history of that couple and IF it correlated to the crime then the police would've definitely mentioned.

Don't you see it would be to Knoxville's BENEFIT if they said it was drug related since they are scaring MORE people by letting this murder/rape be random which is the way it is now?

So, if this really were drug related the police would have been screaming that at the top of their lungs at the press conference to ease the minds of citizens and tourists in Knoxville that this was not so random after all.

You have a point, but I still harken back to the idea the parents and moral element of the community are in control of perception about these two victims right now, so ain't nobody gonna mess with their reputations. When the trial starts, we may all get a different picture. I'm with Sariebell (and I lived very near Knoxville for most of my life) this just doesn't fit a car-jacking. It's ludicrous! Why leave the car? Where's the $$$ in that? How rediculous and stupid! East Knoxville is the KNOWN DRUG DEALER PLACE TO GO! The idea these kids could have an aspect of their lives their parents didn't know about is certainly viable. Most young people that age do. I'd be surprised to learn they didn't. Look, the savagery with which these victims were treated lends itself to some kind of interaction precipitating a bad collision between them. Just can't get around it. Perhaps they were all HIGH at the time. Bad trip, man!

Good theory, Sariebell!

gaia:cool:

East Knoxville is so dangerous that no one I know will drive through there. The place is ruled by thugs. I know that there are some very good people that live there and I feel for them but I would be fighting tooth and nail to get away if it were me. There is no way I could live with all of the drug dealing, prostitution, theft and someone getting shot down the street daily. These are some extremely violent people that live in this area.

It would not surprise me if these animals had surrounded the car and attempted a carjacking just for kicks. Then of course, things quickly got out of hand and they had to take it farther and two people end up dead.

People talk about revitalizing downtown, the Old City and so forth. Until the mafia-wannabes are removed, no body wants to go there after dark. It is a shame too because Knoxville has some buildings that would be absolutely gorgeous and great revenue generating places if renovated.

I believe that this crime was indeed a hate crime. It might have started over drugs but it ended with hatred. I believe that these animals took out there hatred of all people white on these two individuals. Just because drugs were involved doesn't lessen the hatred of it.

Of course, it will never be labeled by law enforcement as such because Knoxville wants to sweep under the rug anything that might be the slightest bit negative about itself.

I am really torked about blaming or speculating that these kids did anything in any way to bring this upon themselves or that the city of KNOX is trying to cover up for the families reputations.
"Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Rich Knighten of the Western District of Kentucky." There is no reason for an outsider in the form of US Marshal to cover up for the kids or town of Knox if the victims were druggies, or Kids just dabling in drugs for the first time. This is a horrific crime no matter what these two were doing no matter their color or origins. I do not think the town of Knoxville which is really a sprawling city in my opinion, is any more or less dangerous than Chattanooga these men are and have been sick sick sick to have commited such a horrendous crime. These kids were kids and did not deserve to die in a car crash much much less than in such a manner.I really am of the opinion that even if they were higher than kites they did not deserve this. We had a car jacking years ago where there was one car jacker and the driver fought and he was killed in front of his passenger. Do not think drugs were involved in either side other than jacker wanted the car for money. IMO your blaming the kids. I agree with Gaia the police would be much better off saying drugs were involved. There are much bigger conspiracy stories out there don't make sickos entertaining themselves out to more than that. Then out of this article do you think this guy was crying because he hurt someone or possibly killed them? No hes crying for his own sorry *advertiser censored**
"Local and federal authorities nabbed Davidson around 3:35 p.m. in an empty house at 1800 Reynolds St. off Western Avenue in the Mechanicsville area. He didn't resist and cried as he left in handcuffs, police said."
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5274125,00.html The date is Jan 2007 on the article. According to the criminal complaint, Davidson told Boyd the original plan was to do a carjacking. Davidson said one of the suspects walked up to Christian's SUV with a gun and forcibly abducted her and Newsom. He said the suspects took the pair and their SUV to Davidson's house on Chipman Avenue.
The suspect themselves said it was a car jacking gone bad.
"http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?s=5930690"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member