TN - Five killed in shootings at 2 US military centers, Chattanooga, 16 July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dana, I totally see where you're coming from.

My own impression is that this thread has had a fair bit of Islamophobia in it -- people making generalizations about Muslims because the person responsible for this atrocity is Muslim. And so, some (myself included) have tried to show that Islam does not have a monopoly on terrorism or violence. I hope that people here understand that point -- and it is true.

My own hope is that there are no more generalizations about any religion in this thread, and that the discussion could stick to the details of the case itself. But I do understand why people get offended when an entire religion is held responsible for the actions of one madman, and whenever that happens, the thread is vulnerable to being derailed.

And I understand that, thank you Montjoy. My problem with the way this thread is going is, great, someone said what they wanted to say...move on but no, some continue and continue and can't seem to roll and scroll or use the ignore feature. No one is going to completely agree with anyone and no one is going to sway any one's beliefs. Hopefully, we can all get back to the original topic.

Scroll and roll is a terrific response to a difference of opinion. It's not always that easy, though, is it? If we were all able to just scroll and roll, I'm guessing you might not have written your post about 'religious hate'.

Many people believe that there is a moral imperative to respond to statements of hate, as you and many others here have -- this imperative is often stronger than the faith one may have in scrolling and rolling, and perhaps it's a good thing, as I can't defend anyone who thinks that it's a good thing to let hatred slide.

Again, I see your point but what I am trying to say is.......the points have been made already. To keep it running page after page after page after page is ridiculous from any point of view. People hate, it's human. They hate for various reasons and some reasons unfounded but OK, been said, done, get over it. Let's move on and pay respect for those who have died and hopefully people will stop the hate comments - PLEASE.

Maybe someone can open a 'religious' thread somewhere else? I personally find it all very disrespectful that people have died and people on this thread are having their own religious wars.

Sorry if I offended anyone as it is not what I intended but can we please stick to the topic?

Authorities are investigating recent travels by the apparent Islamic radical, including a trip to Jordan in 2014 and another possible jaunt to Yemen.
Sources close to the investigation told Fox News authorities are trying to determine whether Abdulazeez had any contact with extremists during his seven-month stay in Jordan. Abdulazeez is believed to have traveled to the Middle East between April and November 2014.

I wont be a bit surprised if the killer is found to have made contact with Islamic extremists during his visit to the Middle East last year. JMO.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/18/sailor-in-chattanooga-shooting-has-died-death-toll-now-5/

The FBI hasn't released much information on Abdulazeez, saying it doesn't yet know what motivated the bloodshed but it is working on an assumption. "We will treat this as a terrorism investigation until it can be determined that it is not," FBI Special Agent Edward Reinhold said.

This guy is definitely a terrorist who has ties to the Middle East. I believe that his motivation will be shown to be Islamic extremism with violence being the tool used to meet his goals. JMO.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/us/tennessee-shooter-mohammad-youssuf-abdulazeez/

As long as we are all clear on what and who this "current group" is. And it is not Islam.

It is Islamic EXTREMISM. I have good friends that are Muslim. They are a lovely family from Iran. Our kids went to school together and are still friends to this day. They tell us to be very afraid of the extremists. They are afraid of them too. They have some family members that they fear because of their extremist views. Their 18 yr old daughter dresses like an American teen. My friend said that if her uncles from back home saw how her daughter dressed, in shorts and tank tops, they would possibly attack her physically. She fears for her own daughters safety.

I do not fear this family. They are wonderful, loving and caring. They are a Muslim family and I do not in any way hold them responsible for the actions of Muhammed Yusef. They find him as reprehensible as I do.

But I will not pretend that there is not a problem with a violent segment of the Muslim Faith. There are about 8 million followers of ISIS. That is a real problem, imo.

In their first public statement the family of the jihadist killer claim mental illness caused their son to kill :rolleyes:

In a statement, his family said Abdulazeez’s mental illness had contributed to the crime. “For many years, our son suffered from depression. It grieves us beyond belief to know that his pain found its expression in this heinous act of violence,” the statement said.

Abdulazeez had been in and out of treatment for his depression and frequently stopped taking his medication, despite his parents’ pleas for him to continue, said a person close to the family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...13f6a6-2d7d-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

It is Islamic EXTREMISM. I have good friends that are Muslim. They are a lovely family from Iran. Our kids went to school together and are still friends to this day. They tell us to be very afraid of the extremists. They are afraid of them too. They have some family members that they fear because of their extremist views. Their 18 yr old daughter dresses like an American teen. My friend said that if her uncles from back home saw how her daughter dressed, in shorts and tank tops, they would possibly attack her physically. She fears for her own daughters safety.

I do not fear this family. They are wonderful, loving and caring. They are a Muslim family and I do not in any way hold them responsible for the actions of Muhammed Yusef. They find him as reprehensible as I do.

But I will not pretend that there is not a problem with a violent segment of the Muslim Faith. There are about 8 million followers of ISIS. That is a real problem, imo.

No doubt, it is a real problem!

Issa wondered if Abdulazeez had been radicalized during his several trips to Jordan, the last in 2014 when he was in the region for seven months.

“It has to be the overseas trip that caused this,” he said. “That’s the only thing I can figure out.”

That makes sense to me. A lot more than he was depressed, smoked some pot and then all of a sudden targeted and killed members of the United States military. JMO.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...13f6a6-2d7d-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

It is Islamic EXTREMISM.

With respect, I'd edit this down to write "It is EXTREMISM." It doesn't matter if an extremist is Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, or whatever -- extremism is the problem, not the ideologies that extremists corrupt, exploit, misinterpret, and bastardize. I think that for many it is too easy to point fingers at Muslims when there has been no shortage of extremists of other faiths and ideologies that have, over time, done just as much harm.

With respect, I'd edit this down to write "It is EXTREMISM." It doesn't matter if an extremist is Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, or whatever -- extremism is the problem, not the ideologies that extremists corrupt, exploit, misinterpret, and bastardize. I think that for many it is too easy to point fingers at Muslims when there has been no shortage of extremists of other faiths and ideologies that have, over time, done just as much harm.

In this case the killer is a Muslim. We will have to wait and see if he was radicalized by Islamic extremists sometime before his murderous assaults upon our military men.

I have a feeling that he was. Just my opinion though. No evidence yet.

ADMIN NOTE: The purpose of this discussion is NOT to drag out every evil deed committed by every "extremist" group -- religious or otherwise -- in the history of mankind. Stay focused!

Exclusive - Tennessee suspect texted friend link to Koranic verse before attack

(lest there there be any doubt about the motive of these horrific attacks see sentence BBM)

Hours before the attack, the suspect, Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, sent a text message to the friend, seen by Reuters, which links to a Koranic verse that includes the text: "Whosoever shows enmity to a friend of Mine, then I have declared war against him."

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Worl...d-friend-link-to-Koranic-verse-before-attack/

Edit:

Here is a link to a Reuters story about the text (Reuters broke the story). It gives more background.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-shooter-sent-text-message-declaring-war.html

Exclusive - Tennessee suspect texted friend link to Koranic verse before attack

(lest there there be any doubt about the motive of these horrific attacks see sentence BBM)

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Worl...d-friend-link-to-Koranic-verse-before-attack/

Edit:

Here is a link to a Reuters story about the text (Reuters broke the story). It gives more background.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-shooter-sent-text-message-declaring-war.html

<snipped & BBM for Focus>

Hours before the Tennessee shooting that killed five U.S. servicemen, the suspected gunman texted his close friend a link to a long Islamic verse that included the line: "Whosoever shows enmity to a friend of Mine, then I have declared war against him."

His friend thought nothing of it at the time, but now wonders if it was a clue to Thursday's rampage in Chattanooga, which has re-ignited concerns about the radicalization of young Muslim men.

"I didn't see it as a hint at the time, but it may have been his way of telling me something," the friend told Reuters on Saturday. He requested anonymity for fear of a backlash.

The suspect, Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, a 24-year-old Kuwaiti-born naturalized U.S. citizen, was killed in a gunfight with police. The FBI is investigating the attack as an act of terrorism, but said it was premature to speculate on the gunman's motive.

While a firm connection between the suspect and radical Islam has not been established, the shooting follows a series of attacks or thwarted attacks in the United States and other countries by Muslims claiming to be inspired by Islamic State or other militant groups.

Hadith 38: The concept of Wilayah (the closer servants of Allah)
http://muslimjapan.com/349.html

“Allah the Almighty has said: 'Whosoever acts with enmity towards a closer servant of Mine (wali), I will indeed declare war against him. Nothing endears My servant to Me than doing of what I have made obligatory upon him to do. .
<snipped - read more>

Fox Business May 06/2015 - https://www.facebook.com/FoxBusiness/videos/vb.12795435237/10153246100445238/?type=2&theater
<video>

ISIS issues a grave warning to America: We have scores of "trained soldiers" positioned in 15 states and we're ready to attack.

Guess, this May 06/2015 ISIS in America Map needs updating, huh?

FBI Director: ISIS Is Relying on Encryption to Recruit Americans and Order Killings&#8220;This is not your grandfather&#8217;s al-Qaida,&#8221; Comey told the Senate Judiciary Committee. &#8220;There&#8217;s a device, almost a devil on their shoulder all day long saying, 'Kill, kill, kill, kill.'&#8221;
http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech...recruit-americans-and-order-killings-20150708

Does anyone know if these families will receive the same kind of government money that the families in Charleston will get?

I wonder what the other states are, and why they weren't listed?

"This is all 50 states and in ways that are very hard to see," said the ... said Wednesday, using an alternate acronym for the terror group. ... Earlier this month, Comey said the FBI was investigating ISIS supporters in every state ..
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/233832-fbi-investigating-isis-suspects-in-all-50-states

My home state; GA

GBI director confirms active terror investigations in Georgia ...
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/gbi-director-confirms-active-terror-investigations/njkg6/

Jan 10, 2015 - DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. &#8212;. The head of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation says agents have active terror investigations underway in the state ...

I just had a text from a friend that is in DC and she was very upset that the flag at the White House isn't at half staff.
Isn't it protocol to do this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back