TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they would explain the reasons for redactions. For example, the names of specific people should be redacted, to respect their privacy. Just because I write a suicide note full of hate towards my ex-husband, doesn't mean the whole world gets to read it.

JMO
Agree, but if you committed murder before a suicide by cop and had left behind a manifesto that indicates the husband was on the murder list, then that should not be redacted, IMO. It's no longer a private matter of suicide. A redaction to "family members" might be acceptable, although LE already stated that her parents and brother were on her target list.

JMO but I have to wonder if any part of the manifesto includes detailed information on planning that could inspire a copycat. It sounds like it is a pretty lengthy piece of writing. It does seem that a lot of mass shooters are inspired by other mass shooters, so part of me worries about that. I hope that anything that could serve as a reference or instructions is redacted before its release, if it is released.

(MOO)
While I agree on the one hand, that any sort of plan or instruction that might inspire more violence shouldn't be put out there, if they do heavily redact the writings it's only going to cause more strife & accusations of this or that.

It'll be a tough call but overall, I 100% believe the public deserves to know what/who inspired this shooting, and if there's anything in there that can help us all understand things just a wee bit better, than we do now, then that's a very good thing.

While I agree on the one hand, that any sort of plan or instruction that might inspire more violence shouldn't be put out there, if they do heavily redact the writings it's only going to cause more strife & accusations of this or that.

It'll be a tough call but overall, I 100% believe the public deserves to know what/who inspired this shooting, and if there's anything in there that can help us all understand things just a wee bit better, than we do now, then that's a very good thing.
I definitely think that whatever is released should be focused on providing insight into what the motivation was. Because I agree, I’m stumped as to why this happened, and even more so that children were the targets. And the false information that has been passed around by word of mouth makes it even worse.

IMO, that message that was sent to a former friend minutes before the shooting that said “something very bad is about to happen” and “forgive me” makes me believe that AH clearly knew right from wrong. And that makes it even more confusing and upsetting

(MOO)

Apropos of nothing, this weekend I listened to an audiobook of a psychological thriller within which one of the major characters was named Adrienne Hale.

And although the book character was clearly female, the pronunciations of "Adrienne" and "Adrian" are the same, and so it took me well into the book to stop being startled whenever I heard the name.

From your article:

Local authorities have said they would release the trove of documents but delayed the disclosure once the legal challenges were brought forward.

The legal papers obtained by WSMV from The Covenant School argue records being sought could include the layout of the church’s facilities and “confidential information pertaining to Covenant Church employees.”

“Covenant Church is so situated that the disposition of this action may impair or impede its ability to protect its interests and the privacy of its employees,” the filing states.

The Covenant Presbyterian Church of Nashville is looking to prevent certain parts of The Covenant School shooter’s writings from being released to the public, according to a recent motion filing.

According to court records, Covenant attorneys filed two motions to intervene, one against The Tennessee Firearms Association (TFA) and another with the Nashville Police Association (NPA), requesting the court permit them to “protect its interests relating to the release of records sought” by the two organizations. Specifically, the groups are interested in the personal journals and other writings seized from Audrey Hale’s home on March 27.

While acknowledging the public need to know what motivated Hale to murder six people, including three children that day, the church is concerned parts of the documents may jeopardize the security of their facility and the personal safety of its members.

From your article:

Local authorities have said they would release the trove of documents but delayed the disclosure once the legal challenges were brought forward.

The legal papers obtained by WSMV from The Covenant School argue records being sought could include the layout of the church’s facilities and “confidential information pertaining to Covenant Church employees.”

“Covenant Church is so situated that the disposition of this action may impair or impede its ability to protect its interests and the privacy of its employees,” the filing states.
Now what interests does a church need to protect?
If church employees are not mentioned in the shooter's journals, why is the church worried about their employee's privacy? Wouldn't they redact individual's names anyway?
What occurred at Covenant that made such an impact on the shooter?

And why are those who demanded complete exposure, now suddenly accepting that the church can omit whatever it wants?

If church employees are not mentioned in the shooter's journals, why is the church worried about their employee's privacy? Wouldn't they redact individual's names anyway?
<snipped for focus>

The attorney for the Church wants the layout of the Church not to be made public, along with employee information, to protect them all from further violence. They are the victims here, and they have suffered enough.

The organizations that filed lawsuits to get access to the manifesto of the shooter have agreed to honor the Church's request because of empathy for the victims, which is very understandable. I can't imagine them not doing so.

And why are those who demanded complete exposure, now suddenly accepting that the church can omit whatever it wants?
I can understand the Church wanting the school floor plan kept confidential for safety reasons. The public has no need to know employee names.

I thought LE said no one was specifically targeted in the shooting? The Church's reaction makes it sound like the shooter did have a specific target. Very strange, imo.

For the first time, parents from The Covenant School are collectively making their stance known. In a strongly worded filing, parents stated they do not want the shooter’s so-called “manifesto” to be released to the public.

The parents have requested a judge to hear their plea before making a decision on the matter.

The briefing was filed on behalf of the three families who lost children in the shooting and families of surviving children.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A group of Tennessee parents whose children attend The Covenant School, where a deadly shooting in March took the lives of three 9-year-olds and three adults, filed a motion Wednesday seeking to keep the shooter’s writings from being released to the public.

“The Parents see no good that can come from the release and wish to contend that the writings — which they believe are the dangerous and harmful writings of a mentally-damaged person — should not be released at all,” their filling reads.

Their motion comes just days after more than 60 Tennessee House Republicans called for the writings to be released...

I know some feel strongly the writings should be released to the public. I am not one of them. I don't believe there is any great knowledge or understanding that reading them would impart to those left behind to process this event or prevent another like it. I have no need to read the musings of a mind disordered enough to execute children. JMO

All due respect to the parents at the school, I do believe the writings should be released to the general public (school schematics redacted of course, for their safety), and then the general public decide for themselves if they want to read them, or if anything can be learned from them.

I know some feel strongly the writings should be released to the public. I am not one of them. I don't believe there is any great knowledge or understanding that reading them would impart to those left behind to process this event or prevent another like it. I have no need to read the musings of a mind disordered enough to execute children. JMO
I agree. There really is no public benefit except to the copy cats who seem to thrive on reading them and re-enacting the catastrophic results.
jmo

I agree. There really is no public benefit except to the copy cats who seem to thrive on reading them and re-enacting the catastrophic results.
jmo
I'm honestly curious how you can be so certain about this, if you haven't actually read them to make an informed decision?

Any news on the public hearings that will take pace in June by the Judge who will determine if the shooter's manifesto and other documents will be made public and redacted or not?

Presumably all the groups and individuals who have a lawsuit will be able to provide input, as well as others (including Tennessee state legislators, the Governor, the public, etc.)

Edited to add -
The public hearings will take place on June 8th.

Members of the public will be invited to attend the hearing, which is set for set for June 8, and express concerns regarding the release of the writings.

BBM

Last edited:
jmo

I recall that theory being promoted quite a bit in the last several years. To discourage copycat mass killers, experts suggested not sharing their names or reporting extensively in the news media. IIRC, the Sandy Hook shooter had a spreadsheet or database on his personal computer listing all the previous mass murderers, listing their weapons, number of people killed, etc. These maniacs actually follow the example of previous killers, try to learn from them and seek to kill more people than anyone before. It's part of the reason why many plan these killing sprees ahead of time.

The notes of the Sandy Hook killer and others, IIRC, also revealed a desire for these killers to get extensive news media coverage. That public attention is a very big goal for many. If you go back to visit some threads here at WS for those mass killers back then, a lot of members posting here didn't use the name of the killers in discussion.

I recall that theory being promoted quite a bit in the last several years. To discourage copycat mass killers, experts suggested not sharing their names or reporting extensively in the news media. IIRC, the Sandy Hook shooter had a spreadsheet or database on his personal computer listing all the previous mass murderers, listing their weapons, number of people killed, etc. These maniacs actually follow the example of previous killers, try to learn from them and seek to kill more people than anyone before. It's part of the reason why many plan these killing sprees ahead of time.

The notes of the Sandy Hook killer and others, IIRC, also revealed a desire for these killers to get extensive news media coverage. That public attention is a very big goal for many. If you go back to visit some threads here at WS for those mass killers back then, a lot of members posting here didn't use the name of the killers in discussion.

Does not naming a mass killer in the media actually discourage the next murderous psycho from doing the same thing or worse? How can anyone possibly know that? Is there a database somewhere of potential mass killers who changed their mind because NBC or CNN refused to name the last one and didn't give him or her as much press? I know that sounds flippant and I don't mean it to but how else would anyone even know if it's working, unless the mass killers (that changed their minds) told them it worked?

I believe if a man or woman has decided they're going to commit a terrible crime, they're going to do it no matter who's manifesto was redacted or which mass killer didn't get named on mainstream media. I think these measures are more realistically in place to make the public feel better. I don't think they'll stop anyone from doing anything they want to do.

Mostly I don't believe it's working based on some of the stats I'm seeing about mass shootings. According to the Gun Violence Archive Past Summary Ledgers | Gun Violence Archive the number of mass shootings each year since 2014 continues on an upward trajectory:

2014 - 272
2015 - 336
2016 - 383
2017 - 348
2018 - 336
2019 - 415
2020 - 610
2021 - 690
2022 - 646

If not using the killer's name or redacting manifestos was working, the numbers wouldn't look like this.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member