Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #3 *ARRESTS*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

I agree. That's why I said it is rare I would say a teen should to go to foster care. There is usually an aunt or grandmother who can take care of a teen the last few years and they do better placed with family then with strangers. But in this case it seems that the gamble of foster care would be better than the alternatives. Although I do hope SLP can see her siblings if she wants to see them. Poor child only has 4 years until she is out on her own in the world. She needs some stable adults who can help her heal and then get herself established (get a job, go to college if she wants to, etc). MOO.

I get the feeling that there was someone she was reaching out to for help. She ran to someone, with the evidence, so she trusted them.

If that person happens to be a Pruitt relative, then I think it would still be OK for SLP and the sibs to be there with them. Just because a couple of the family members are worthless and pathetic, it doesn't mean that there aren't any grandparents or aunts and uncles that are loving, responsible people. JMO

I appreciate your insight as a survivor, and am grateful that you are here and able to give input.

However, from a legal standpoint, what an individual reasonably should have known is not a subjective standard, but an objective one. Every individual will be held to the same standard, against the hypothetical "reasonable person".

Intent and lack of regard are two completely different things. In the former, the bio mom would have theoretically had to have intent that the rape of SP happen and/or continue. In the latter, the lack of regard could be just turning the other way; in other words, knowing, or reasonably should have had knowledge, but did nothing.

Like @gitana1 mentioned in her example, if the child became withdrawn, child began doing poorly in school, child's activities suffered, child started pulling away from family, etc. etc. etc., the parent should have known. That is the level of responsibility a parent is supposed to have for their child. It should not be the law that the child should have had to directly told the parent, and the parent ignored and intended for it to continue, for it to constitute negligence. That's simply not what negligence is. If negligence constituted only what people subjectively knew, we would never be able to hold people culpable. That is why the reasonable person standard applies in our legal system.

As of now, we do not know enough about the mother to know one way or another. Perhaps there were no signs, this was a relatively new thing, and she is just as shocked. But if it comes to light that there were signs and they were ignored, she should be held just as responsible as if she had directly been told. That is just my professional opinion.

Thank you for your supportive comments and professional insight. I agree with the law on child abuse, as I understand it. I take no exception with it and believe strongly that children should be afforded every protection. In my opinion, as I stated previously, the law regarding child abuse should be applied more, not less often. However, IMHO, the current law is adequate to hold one accountable for ignoring signs of abuse and not acting. Please correct me if current law doesn't allow for that.

If it comes to light that there were signs that this mother ignored, or when any parent ignores the abuse of a child, he or she is complicit and should be sentenced harshly, IMHO.

The discussion was over the enactment of a proposed law, which I still contend is ill-conceived. Two verified attorneys have now explained how current law allows for prosecution when someone knowingly ignores signs of abuse. I fully support the prosecution of any adult who knowingly acts or fails to act concerning child abuse. I'm NOT for penalizing someone for what I believe they reasonably should have known but did not. Since current law addresses both action and failing to act, it's sufficient IMHO.

In the examples both attorneys have given, the parent ignores signs of abuse. In order to ignore abuse some degree of awareness must exist. I cannot ignore a sign, a situation, a construct, etc. of which I have absolutely no knowledge. The law, as it was proposed, goes an extra step to penalize a parent when he or she has no knowledge, but when some entity deems that the parent reasonably should have known...making it criminal for not acting when there was no knowledge and when they did not choose to ignore signs. I'm against that, as it is rife with the potential for abuses. Both attorneys have indicated that current law allows for prosecution when a parent knowingly fails to act. The logical question follows, in what manner is current law insufficient to address child abuse? Are there loopholes of which I'm unaware? What are they and how can they be closed? It seems, based on the scenarios and explainations of the law that both attorneys have given, that the law is currently sufficient. Perhaps sentencing might be reviewed? Please help me understand by identifying the specific shortcomings in the language of the existing law, rather than hypotheticals. Thank you in advance. @gitana1

Last edited:
<modsnipped>

I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I think bio dad should be given a chance. It could be very healing for SLP to have her father and grandparents in her life. <modsnipped> Granted, I don't know what kind of a man he is, but I pray this has brought him to his knees and he will step up and be the man God intends for him to be.

And about the sex registry that bio dad is on. He was 19, she was 15 and they are still friends today, if he is to be believed. I think most of us have know a 19 yo who had a fling with a younger teen. IMO, they are not the same as rapists or pedophiles. Yes, it is wrong, but a sex offender? <modsnipped>

The law, depending on the state, dictates that a 15 year-old cannot consent. IMHO, if he's on the registry, he should have no access.

He is not asking for any donations. He said he will NOT. He has a job. Maybe we shouldn’t judge so fast. It is the adoptive dad who is the vulgar rapist.

Differing opinions on the bio Dad are probably moot, IMO. He's a sex offender, and job or no job the courts will decide if he deserves visitation, supervised visitation, etc.

My apologies in advance to the mods if you must snip or assign timeout points. As I've read through posts and posted, I've tried to get a grasp of the general tone of the thread. Most of you are new to me, and I recognize that this case in particular hits close to home for many of us. I hope to see you all again on other cases, but my desire for justice and equality will not permit me to participate any further here. This is not directed at anyone in particular. At various points on the thread, it's been suggested that the self-admitted sex-offender bio-Dad be given a chance, while the mother, against whom we have no evidence, has been the catalyst of a spirited debate on enacting a law to penalize her, or those like her, for what she reasonably should have known. That extreme dichotomy is just one of several examples. I'm alarmed the most by my own earlier judgments and suppositions that led to inaccurate and unfair accusations. Thank you to everyone on this thread. You've given me a great deal to ponder about myself concerning justice, equality, and compassion, in particular, who receives my compassion, who doesn't, and why? We're all survivors of something. I suppose I'd do well to remember that more often. Lastly, should S.P. or someone in similar circumstances ever come across this, know that there are people who are in awe of your courage and who are wishing you continued healing, peace, and so much happiness.

BBM
Exactly. A court could relinquish his rights, but I don't think that happened.
I do not think SP was actually adopted legally.
I don't know about the state laws there but I know when my niece was adopted by step dad, all my sister had to do was run an ad in he local paper announcing intent of the adoption for two weeks. The father didn't respond and the adoption went through. She had no way of tracking him down and he had never been in her life.

I don't know about the state laws there but I know when my niece was adopted by step dad, all my sister had to do was run an ad in he local paper announcing intent of the adoption for two weeks. The father didn't respond and the adoption went through. She had no way of tracking him down and he had never been in her life.
Wow. Sounds like a clear case of abandonment there too. I know there are rules in the courts as far as how one needs to go about trying to locate the other parent.

'The laws sound to be incredibly variable from state to state. Here in Connecticut, my friend who is a social worker for DCF (department of children and families) had to have extensive interviews, home visits and background checks and took well over a year. Also, the child who was 14 had visits etc. Very thorough.

'The laws sound to be incredibly variable from state to state. Here in Connecticut, my friend who is a social worker for DCF (department of children and families) had to have extensive interviews, home visits and background checks and took well over a year. Also, the child who was 14 had visits etc. Very thorough.

Was this for an inner family adoption? (A step parent adopts the spouse's child.) Here in Kentucky, there are different rules depending on what kind of adoption is taking place. If you're adopting through the foster care system then there must be home visits, interviews, etc. However, if the child is living with one biological parent and the step-parent wants to adopt, it's a lot more lax. There's a background check and a lengthy application but little else.

Was this for an inner family adoption? (A step parent adopts the spouse's child.) Here in Kentucky, there are different rules depending on what kind of adoption is taking place. If you're adopting through the foster care system then there must be home visits, interviews, etc. However, if the child is living with one biological parent and the step-parent wants to adopt, it's a lot more lax. There's a background check and a lengthy application but little else.
I see the distinction and this was not an inner family adoption, it was through the foster care system. Thanks for making that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee