trial day 45: the defense continues its case in chief #135

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When JA is convicted of murder (yes, WHEN!), will Travis' family be able to sue anyone for defamation of character? JA, the defense, experts etc? They have dragged poor Travis' name through the mud, accusing him of some of the most heinous things - all to protect a murderer - without a lick of truth or proof to the accusations. I don't see how the trial could end and nobody has to pay for that.

I think one of the lawyers answered this a while back by saying that you can't sue someone for something they've testified to in court. And that's a shame, IMO. Especially if the witness was lying his/her butt off.

Morning all!!!
I agree with upthread posters....can someone give an example of what would be would considered disparaging and an example ofwhat would be considered amusing but not harmful.

?
Pretty please

Just jumping off of your post to help clarify: disparaging comments mean name calling and other wise bashing someone to include posting doctored pictures or putting something in your signature line. It further means that we don't talk about the witness other than WHAT THEY ARE TESTIFYING ABOUT: re: we are not in the business of bashing. Describe what is being said, or what you see and your opinion.

That does NOT mean you have to lie and say something smells like roses when it does not. Just keep it clean.

Here is an example: Jodi is lying! (you can say that)

vs

That lying, effing *advertiser censored* <------don't repeat that :lol:

eta: that is why if you ever see this: that <modsnip> (re: say you just posted what I posted above...) that is because we had to come behind and clean up the disparaging remarks...

Instead of personally tormenting these "expert" witnesses, I wish we could use the force of numbers to get REAL court reform.
Either have psych testimony completely disallowed since it is not scientific, or figure out a way to have a single neutral expert.

The system is the one at fault here - it gives these people a platform, a means to bolster their egos and believe their opinion is of value. It also gives them dump trucks full of money.

I have been thinking long and hard about the vitriol expressed about the professionals that are testifying for the defense. I think all of it is rooted in anger, disgust, and the general dislike of JA. The outrage that someone would "further" the cause of JA's claim of self defense comes from a place of decency in us. I look at it as if they were aiding and abetting the murder of Travis and are instrumental in prolonging justice and the agony of Travis' family.

When these experts have testified in general terms, I have found them interesting and informative. When they have stretched the boundaries of their expertise to apply certain things to JA that go against common sense is where I have a problem.

I have a lot of anger towards JA and what she has done to TA and his family. She threatened to expose Travis several years ago when she tried to get the 2nd degree plea deal done. I find that aiding her to do so now is agredious in itself. Yes everyone is entitled to a vigorous defense. But what is truly telling is how the defense is carried out and trashing the victim and his family is in itself heinous and aggregious.

So there is a lesson in all of this to everyone. We will have to see how it all plays out. JMO

I want to say this, without giving away the person/people I heard things from. I have a mentor who happens to be a therapist who is married to a professor at Cal State Long Beach.

This mentor travels in the same professional circles as ALV. According to my friend (and another person) ALV is extremely well liked and well respected and I have the utmost respect (personally) for the individuals I heard this from.

My mentor said she consider's ALV to be compassionate, intuitive, generous and very good at the work she does. She is apparently well liked among her colleagues.

I have come to my own conclusions as to why ALV chose to believe and testify for the defendant and I am weighing that with what I have heard about her.

I am sorry for her decision but have to believe it came from a well intentioned place. She was manipulated- wether or not I believe she allowed herself to be- I feel compassion for her as a woman, partner, mother, professional, and fellow community member.

I don't want to see anyone end up in the hospital or worse over this- well...except the defendant!

What is so interesting about the information you posted is that given all that you have posted is true....and it does temper my opinion of ALV, what has really made me dislike her on a personal level is her behavior in the court room with Mr. Martinez.

She would have had ample opportunity to find out what kind of prosecutor he is and his court room 'style'.

Her behavior does not come across as professional and I believe this is to her detriment.

People are apparently inflamed. Some of it may be a carry over from the previous sensational trial where the seemingly guilty person walked scott free.

It's all becoming so heated. Folks acting out everywhere. Even the one on trial speaking out on the social media thru a spokesperson.

I'm sorry, legal system, but this is what a mob looks like these days. It's electronic. Maybe you'd prefer that we show up with signs outside????

The reason it's so calm outside the courtroom is because there are online avenues to express public opinion. Public trials are public for a reason--so we can see justice in action. And when we see things we feel are unfair, we say so, whether it's with torches, marches, parades, boycotts, hacking, or whatever.

We have a court system so we won't have people tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail.... you can't shut up public outrage. It will find an avenue and it could be a lot worse than words on fora (plural of forum?).

How about the defendant demeaning the prosecutor who is the representative of the people. She has the RIGHT? Did I hear that? She has the right to tweet with her one phone call but we don't have the right to call her paid liar a paid liar?

Forced to do housework since court is late today how dare they :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Instead of personally tormenting these "expert" witnesses, I wish we could use the force of numbers to get REAL court reform.
Either have psych testimony completely disallowed since it is not scientific, or figure out a way to have a single neutral expert.

The system is the one at fault here - it gives these people a platform, a means to bolster their egos and believe their opinion is of value. It also gives them dump trucks full of money.

lil Buddy, I think this is one of your best posts ever! Thanks!

Just want to agree with a comment from previous thread from JBAXTER68
which said:
"Jst moo, but I do not even think he let her in june 4, let alone have sex. Something just is not right with that picture."

My comment = I agree that I dont think Travis even let her in that day. I think she snuck in on him. She even stated in her testimony how she was staring at him and the dog busted her. I often wonder if she was trying to get close enough to him to stab him right there, until the dog busted her.

I got a very bad feeling from that story of her watching Travis and Nap, too. Really makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

I think she's delighted in sharing a true moment from her crime--a creepy look through Jodi the Murderer's eyes--stalking Travis that morning.

The other thing that has always bothered me is how she points to the last picture of Travis' face in the shower, the one where he looks terrorized, and tells Det. Flores' glibly: "He didn't like that one, but it's my favorite" True Evil Incarnate.

I called ALV "nasty" for using the word "porking". Was that bad? :)

Seriously though, even when I consider the possibility that she really did fall under JA's spell and somehow believes what she is saying under oath, I still can't wrap my head around her behavior on the stand. She is an expert witness with considerable experience. She knows JM is allowed to ask leading questions on cross. She knows she is supposed to answer them as such - and can expand and clarify those answers on re-direct. She knows that respect for the judge, and the entire court process is expected and she knows what is considered contempt of it.

IMO, Her behavior just flies in the face of her "doing the right thing" even if she truly THINKS JA was abused.

I couldn't tell if the word was 'porking' or 'corking' but either way, it mischaracterized what was actually said during the call and IMO contributed to the biased opinion she proclaims not to have.

Noo don't do that! If in doubt when your post, you could hit the mod alert button and ask them to check whichever sentences you worried about.

thx, i didn't know you could do that and didn't want to be a pain.

WildAboutTrial &#8207;@WildAboutTrial 1m
Now don't hold me to this but word going around is that Alyce will not be here today so trial might not happen. #JodiArias

I hope this is wrong.....please don't drag this trial out any more than it is already.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

While I hate anyone calling names, First Amendment right!

Unfortunately, anyone can say just about anything they want, unless they treaten harm. I have seen horrible things all over the internet about victim's and their families! I have been a victim of this also, and I didn't throw a towel into the fight, it was brought to me based on my husband being a victim of a violent crime!
When ALV threw her hat in the ring, she could not be dumb enough to think that there would not be a backlash! She had to have weighed the outcome and believed it was worth it to her!

Reminds me of Dr Henry Lee spit out ketchup during the Michael Peterson trial.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30-rock-gif1.gif

Just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads