Trial Discussion Thread #35 - 14.05.08 Day 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised that Roux put this expert on after lunch. Now Nel gets all night to go over the report and the testimony.

But that's how expert witnesses with such long reports do it... i.e., using their notes as they can't be expected to learn it all off pat

Yeees. But there were a few other things. I don't know though. Maybe it is just his verbosity and rather ponderous style.

The difference for me is family member versus accused. Defendants are advised to not speak to State's witnesses so they can't be accused of witness tampering or intimidation. It's a pretty standard admonition. So, if the rules are 'bent' and this accused isn't admonished for saying what was perceived as sinister and disturbing, what's really to stop a future defendant from whispering to a witness 'You're next.' in another trial?

MOO

But she is not a witness. She was on the witness list but has not and will not be called. Hence the lawyers saying the Judge can do nothing.

If she were still a witness I would be all for him be hauled over the coals for it. Unless Miss Myers wishes to open a case herself nothing more will be heard of it within this trial.

Oh, I finally get back to the livestream and now the court's adjourned! The amount of breaks in this case makes it feel soooooo long.

Thanks Zwiebel for all the transcribing, much appreciated.

I think he said between 4-20 cm from the door.

IMHO, Reeva's arm being closer to the door than what Mangena said with it being hit by a bullet as she collapses backwards with the hip shot makes at least as much sense as Mangena's version on the arm shot more especially if you consider there were wood splinters and when none were found at the site of the head shot which would have been at a similar distance going by Mangena's version. But I don't see it would make that much difference... or would it, apart from the fact both hands would not being able to be on her head as Mangena explained, only one. A one hand movement I saw precisely saw Roux mimick in court the day Nel was leading Mangena.

Can anyone summarize the salient/important points of that last witnesses' testimony? I am afraid I didn't quite grasp what they were.

Why is it so important for defence to have Reeva's splinter wounds matching splinter patterns on the door?

Oh, I finally get back to the livestream and now the court's adjourned! The amount of breaks in this case makes it feel soooooo long.

Thanks Zwiebel for all the transcribing, much appreciated.

Lol, you have to be so quick on this thread, to catch a bit of trial inbetween all the breaks....!

They always close at 3pm on the dot. No later. But often earlier, much earlier :-\

So they start at 9:30, end at 3:00 and get an hour lunch break? That means that on a perfect day court is in session for 4.5 hours. Minus tea breaks and requested adjournments as well I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But she is not a witness. She was on the witness list but has not and will not be called. Hence the lawyers saying the Judge can do nothing.

If she were still a witness I would be all for him be hauled over the coals for it. Unless Miss Myers wishes to open a case herself nothing more will be heard of it within this trial.

re: the pt re-opening the case, at any time [now or due to evidence given in the next days], as has been mooted as a possibility. then could the pt put any of the witnesses on their list forward, even if they have been in the courtroom previously?

just asking.

So they start at 9:30, end at 3:00 and get an hour lunch break? That means that on a perfect day court is in session for 4.5 hours. Minus tea breaks and requested adjournments as well I suppose.

I think with adjournments and tea breaks, the court sits for about 3.5 hours a day. No wonder it's taking so long!

Spot on....Oscar radio discussion on how OP sees himself as the victim in all of this

If this is correct, then it's a very fine line.

From Pistorius’ Bail Affidavit Statement:

“Nonetheless, I undertake not to communicate with any witness, whoever he or she may be, and any other persons whose names may appear on a list of “State witnesses”, to be provided by the State.”

That's correct. Short days.

The Afrikaans word for door seems to be deur. So even without having native English, I still think it is odd the witness appeared to start calling the door a board, in the middle of testimony where he was talking about a door (but while holding a board).

I will have to relisten, in case it was me mishearing.

It's no different here in England really. There is plenty of work going on outside the time actually spent in court. They will be debriefing, reviewing the testimony, preparing for the next session. That goes for counsel, witness, judge and assessors alike. Lots of homework involved!

I get the knocking sound of a ping pong ball every few seconds. Dunno what that is, it's been doing it all day.
Ah - I can help you there - up on the right-hand side is a live feed of comments - you can click to turn it off, or mute I guess. I close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy