Trial Discussion Thread #55 - 14.14.10, Day 44 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From news24:

AV says all that OP can do is run, he doesn't have qualifications (he only has a Grade 10)... he cannot say what he will do after the trial.

AV: I do not know specific (job) options available to him.

N: Did you ask him?

Av: I did, but I did not get a final answer......there are no options that I know of available.

Barry Bateman
‏@barrybateman
@GavinGrierson she’s evasive, vague and argumentative.

AV is lecturing the court rather than answering the questions.

I missed a part of what Nel was saying at the start of this session but did he say that the Steenkamps would pay back all/any monies paid to them by OP?

Close up of Carl then, legs looking rather odd in all that plaster and tape.

Barry is frustrated, I think. Clenching his hands.

FYI from Australian Newscorp today:

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa...homicide-resumes/story-fnh81gzi-1227090384415
Oscar Pistorius sentencing for Reeva Steenkamp’s culpable homicide resumes
37 MINUTES AGO OCTOBER 14, 2014 11:02PM

JAILING Oscar Pistorius for shooting his girlfriend dead would “break him” and deliver no benefit to the community, a probation officer has told the Blade Runner’s ongoing sentence hearing.
Annette Vergeer told the North Gauteng High Court yesterday that prison would have a severe impact on Pistorius and that there are no facilities in South African jails to cater for a person such as Pistorius who has no legs. Ms Vergeer suggested that a community-based sentence, such as house arrest, would be the best penalty for Pistorius...

AV: First of all, I do not make a sentence recommendation, secondly, you have to take his disability into account...

N: If he was convicted of murder, wld a sentence of prison be preferable?

AV: but he was not..I cannot speculate.

N: I'm asking for a professional opinion.

I missed a part of what Nel was saying at the start of this session but did he say that the Steenkamps would pay back all/any monies paid to them by OP?

I thought I heard that too but I thought they hadn't taken any money from OP as yet!

*confused*

Nel mentions JubJub and what she recommended there, witness says she did not recommended anything and avoids answering question.

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman 34s34 seconds ago
#OscarTrial Vergeer was also consulted in the Jub Jub matter.
Nel is asking what she recommended in that matter. BB

Strange how she doesn't want to appear on camera and yet if she was appearing in a professional capacity for the state, she'd have no choice about it.

Come on Judge Masipa - direct her to answer!

AV: First of all, I do not make a sentence recommendation, secondly, you have to take his disability into account...

But isn't that what she has spent all day doing? Why doesn't Nel pick on that - all you've done is make recommendations!

AV says she cannot remember what she may have leaned towards in her (non) recommendation re JubJub. Can't recall if she gave any opinion about community supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay