Trial Discussion Thread #55 - 14.14.10, Day 44 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he doesn't. Frankly I haven't been impressed by his articulacy or oratorical skills. He'd likely be faffing about, losing his place all the time.
No, it needs to be someone who can deliver it clearly and with feeling.

I agree. If not her parents, who would be ideal, imo, as in most court cases here, it is the judge who reads it and I wish it were the case. I'd like to see her shed a tear for Reeva. Nel isn't a smooth talker, well not in English anyway, unfortunately.
I think he will get very emotional, I'll have my tissues ready. I wonder if OP will.

This witness was a total disgrace, in my opinion.

Her bias became glaringly obvious when Nel asked her if she would change her opinion if she was shown that her concerns about the dangers OP would face in prison were unfounded.

No, she said.

Someone who will not change their opinion when/if the facts change should be looked upon with deep suspicion - because that indicates that their opinion is not actually based on facts in the first place.

Hope Nel finishes with her quickly tomorrow. That nasty, whiny voice is doing my head in. Glad we don't have to look at the hairdo too. That would be too much.

LOL, the voice gave me a headache from which I have only just now recovered.

Pardon me for being tacky, but her hair reminded me of a skunk. Her testimony and opinions stunk just as badly, IMO.

I will never get over this trial or the judge. OP deserves to suffer and suffer badly. Poor Reeva suffered. Justice is not being done for Reeva and her family.

This is a very important statement, IMO:

SA prisons can cope with the disabled

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/sa-prisons-can-cope-disabled-dept

The Department of Justice and Correctional Services on Tuesday lashed out at claims made during Oscar Pistorius court proceedings that prisons were unable to accommodate disabled prisoners.
"Our centres can cater for disabled inmates as [they] have some currently serving sentences," said departmental spokesman advocate Mthunzi Mhaga.

Mhaga said that while the department respected the sub judice rule, it deemed it appropriate to respond to the allegations raised in court.

"The reports [in court] seek to create an impression that our centres are fraught with, among other things, unhygienic conditions, gang violence and rape...
"Such allegations about the conditions in our centres are inaccurate."

Mhaga said the department was willing to make its expert officials available to the court at any stage required.

Earlier the court heard that Vergeer compiled her report on Pistorius based on a visit to Johannesburg prison ten years ago and the Krugersdorp prison two years ago, as well as through consultation with wardens and social workers.
It was also revealed that Vergeer had been paid by the defence to compile the report -- in which she recommended that Pistorius get three years of correctional supervision and community service for killing Steenkamp.

I agree. If not her parents, who would be ideal, imo, as in most court cases here, it is the judge who reads it and I wish it were the case. I'd like to see her shed a tear for Reeva.

I'm glad it won't be Masipa. I can just imagine her stumbling her way through it and sucking every scrap of meaning out of it.

Nel isn't a smooth talker, well not in English anyway, unfortunately. I think he will get very emotional, I'll have my tissues ready. I wonder if OP will.

Oh, he'll pretend to, that's for sure.

I'll say it again, I just cannot believe how transparent this farce is. I was warned that corruption is still rife in SA, but I did think they would try and cover it up a bit better. Clearly those driving this just do not care that the world sees it for what it is.

No way, NO WAY am I ever setting foot in South Africa. And I have friends from there.

The Pistorius family have announced that they are unhappy with the characterisation of their offers of financial assistance to the Steenkamp family, and will be clarifying matters tomorrow

I have a feeling they're going to try and paint Reeva's parents in a bad light. There's not much they won't stoop to.

-------------------------
Vergeer said that she was aware that a sentence of house arrest would – wrongly, in her view – be perceived as too lenient, but that one should remember that the purpose of sentencing was “not to satisfy public opinion, but to serve public interest”

BIB - how about setting up a poll and seeing who exactly would be fine with that convicted killer being around their children? How is it serving public interest if the majority of people don't want him around?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/oct/14/oscar-pistorius-trial-sentencing-continues-live

Vergeer is playing deceptive semantics.

Seems to me that (majority) public opinion IS the public interest.

I'm glad it won't be Masipa. I can just imagine her stumbling her way through it and sucking every scrap of meaning out of it.

I'll say it again, I just cannot believe how transparent this farce is. I was warned that corruption is still rife in SA, but I did think they would try and cover it up a bit better. Clearly those driving this just do not care that the world sees it for what it is.

No way, NO WAY am I ever setting foot in South Africa. And I have friends from there.

I think they misjudged how far the public are prepared to delve into this case. People on the street discuss it, reenact it, have their own experiences to draw on, and they're not even half as cluey and thorough as many sleuthers on here, and they can't make it fit, like a square peg in a round hole. OP's story doesn't make sense, the evidence speaks for itself that he's lying. GRRRRRRRR.

Yet, they go on, oblivious to how stupid this has become. Imo, we've seen the worse of what SA has to offer during this trial, the self proclaimed experts who wouldn't get a day in court in any other country. Gerrie Nel and his team, especially Capt. Mangena are clearly clever and dedicated to their vocation. Even the fox, Barry Roux who dazzles Masipa with his expertise. The trial has been a very poor representation of SA. :facepalm:

Oscar Pistorius: Correctional supervision, a reality under attack

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...ervision-a-reality-under-attack/#.VD1k5EvZVuY

.....Finally, Nel said Vergeer had also argued for correctional supervision in the high profile cases of Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye and some reports said she claimed the same for “Sunday Rapist” Jaco Steyn.

-----------------------

'Sunday Rapist' found guilty on 33 charges

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Sunday-Rapist-found-guilty-on-33-charges-20120918

2012-09-18 22:39

"Sunday Rapist" Jaco Steyn was found guilty on 33 charges, including murder, in the South Gauteng High Court sitting in Alberton on Tuesday.

Judge Sita Kolbe found him guilty on all but four of the 37 charges brought against him.
Two of those were changed from rape to sexual assault and one was changed from murder to culpable homicide.
Steyn has pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder, 11 of rape, 10 of sexual assault, 10 of kidnapping, one of attempted sexual assault, and one of attempted kidnapping.

The abductions took place between 2008 and 2011 and the girls were aged between 11 and 18.
Among these was 16-year-old Louise de Waal.

--------------------

So this lady suggested correctional supervision for a convicted murderer and rapist? No wonder Roux wanted her on his team.

I have evidence of this from the support page for OP on fb. Last week I thought I'd venture into their neck of woods. It was absolutely insane, they were disparaging JS in the most vilest way, like money is what it's all about. They despise her and what was written in English was bad enough, I would have hated to know what was written in Afrikaan. I can't cut &paste, but I can paraphrase, anyway I think you all get the gist. Now this is happening in court, I wouldn't be surprised they're connected.

But I did get to have my say, lol, even if it was only up for a few hours. One lady said JS should get over it, life happens! No joke, that is what she said and more actually, so I wrote;
Hey, Oscar, It's been 26 yrs since you lost your legs, get over it! Life happens! Then I said they're crazy!

Good god, I've just been looking at this one https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-for-Oscar/268857309956678?fref=ts .. scroll down to the discussion headed 'Nel suggested OP paid R6 000 every month to Reeva's parents' .. I can't believe some of the comments on there :eek: .. don't they get that June and Barry didn't go looking for this, it came to them .. Oscar Pistorius killed their daughter, fcs! It's just so laughable too that anyone would think that £350 a month was gold-digging :lol:

Catching up on Vergeer's testimony...had to go to sleep before she started.
It's soooooooooooo clear Nel has massive disdain, irritation, and almost disgust for her.
It's kind of funny.
I can't believe they're debating how slippery the showers are when HE KILLED SOMEONE.
Since when do we care about how slippery a murderer's shower is?
I didn't notice his bathroom modified? Was it?

Is he continuing cross-examination tomorrow and there's one more defence witness or does Nel start with his witnesses tomorrow?

It's a sad story I remember hearing about before. The government needs to step up and make some changes, too much red tape that slows the court process down, people waiting for their turn in court for ridiculous amount of time. I read a little while ago that DUI testing is 2 years behind, so I think CP has a leisurely wait ahead of him.

But this is what Nel was talking about though in regards to the overcrowding, men waiting for their day in court.

[video=youtube;6t5BIjYy7pU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t5BIjYy7pU[/video]

This video margaret posted in an earlier thread gives a better insight to what OP could expect if he were sentenced to a jail term.

Good god, I've just been looking at this one https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-for-Oscar/268857309956678?fref=ts .. scroll down to the discussion headed 'Nel suggested OP paid R6 000 every month to Reeva's parents' .. I can't believe some of the comments on there :eek: .. don't they get that June and Barry didn't go looking for this, it came to them .. Oscar Pistorius killed their daughter, fcs! It's just so laughable too that anyone would think that £350 a month was gold-digging :lol:

That's it Jay-Jay, scary people, so hurtful I can't believe it.

I don't want to go to prison - Jub Jub

Annette Vergeer in the Jub Jub sentencing. Today she said in court she "couldn’t remember" what sentence she recommended for Jub Jub.

Link: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/I-dont-want-to-go-to-prison-Jub-Jub-20121205

Earlier, a social worker testified that remorse cannot be measured.

People's personal circumstances needed to be taken into consideration in sentencing, social worker Annette Vergeer said.

Rudi Krause, for Maarohanye, called Vergeer, who had compiled a report on the 32-year-old musician.
"Regret or remorse is totally circumstantial," Vergeer said.

"The fact that he [Maarohanye] didn't plead guilty: you can't say he didn't show remorse or doesn't regret the accident."
She said Maarohanye was the breadwinner in his family and had about 15 people working for him.
Vergeer said the circumstances in prisons were "devastating" and they were often overcrowded.

"He is considered a suitable candidate for correctional supervision," she told the court.

Hi guys, sorry i had to sleep, can someone summarize for me?

Before i went to sleep, it allegated revealed Pistorius clan was paying Reeva, yet reading from David Dadic, this somehow looked worse for Oscar then Reeva's family.

Could someone explain? you sluethers are more diligent then me...

DITTO.

I couldn't agree more.

Does anyone know when the real trial will start? I'm looking at my calendar an it says 2014, anyone else have the same year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphmaic