TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. I was re-reading some articles and keep running into this statement that I find troubling: "The mom told a local news organisation that she has no idea why the alleged kidnapper targeted her son and said she did not believe that the alleged killer knew her child."

Here is the full article: Police recover suspected weapon used in murder of four-year-old Cash Gernon

At this point, we obviously have to wait because there has been the usual significant drop in updates on the major news outlets. I am sure that LE is working diligently to clear up all the bits and ends before they move forward.

In the meantime, I am thinking of Carter. He must be so confused with so many aspects of his life right now. Poor little boy. Heartbreaking.

Sure. They could tell him what’s going on.
At this point, I doubt the investigators are asking him anything else.
He was taken to DCAC - Dallas Childrens Advocacy Center for questioning after he was picked up at his home on Saturday.
This is where the Dallas Police Dept Child Abuse Unit is located as well as a district attorney that oversees cases involving crimes against children.
It would all be videoed, recorded etc.
He either cooperated and answered questions or he didn’t.
I’m sure his court-appointed attorney has told him to not discuss his case. They’ve also made it clear to the prosecutors office that he can not be questioned without an attorney present by now.

Side note- the DCAC has forensic interviewers who interview child victims of crime, abuse etc. It’s very possible Cash’s twin was taken here to be interviewed as well. moo on the last part
I’m curious why he’d be taken to DCAC, he’s not a minor.

‘I’m already cried out’: Police say sleeping child taken from crib before he was killed, left in Dallas street

May 17, 2021

A 4-year-old boy found dead in a Dallas neighborhood street over the weekend was taken from his crib as he slept early Saturday morning, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Home surveillance footage showed a man police said was Darriynn Ronnell Brown lift a sleeping child from a crib and carry him away around 5 a.m. Saturday.

[..]

The child was identified in court records as Cash Gernon. He and his twin brother were staying in the home in the 7500 block of Florina Parkway with his father’s girlfriend, Monica Sherrod, police said. The house is in the Mountain Creek area of Dallas.

The father, who police did not name, has been absent since March, police said. Cash’s biological mother and grandmother have been looking for Cash and his twin, who has been reunited with them. Their mother believed the boys were with their dad and did not know the father had left them with Sherrod, Dallas police spokeswoman Melinda Gutierrez said. Officers don’t know where the father is, Gutierrez said.

Sherrod called police shortly before 11 a.m. and said Cash was missing, the affidavit said. Sherrod told police that Brown was the man in the video, the affidavit says.

[..]

When police searched the home where Cash had been staying, they reported finding a piece of tissue paper with drops of blood on it and a small pocket knife, according to a search-warrant affidavit.

The detective watched the home surveillance video with Sherrod, who identified Brown, 18, according to the affidavit. The detective’s affidavit does not detail Brown’s relationship to Cash’s family or offer any explanation for Brown taking the boy.

Child abuse detectives found Brown at his home and took him to the law enforcement wing of the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center for an interview before he was booked into jail. Brown remained jailed Monday in lieu of $1.5 million bail and faces charges of kidnapping and burglary. Police said they anticipate additional charges after a forensic analysis is completed.

The neighborhood, which is near Cedar Ridge Preserve, is a mix of middle-class and low-income homes. Brown’s home and Cash’s home are both within a half-mile of where his body was found.
Worth noting that child advocacy centers are not only used for children or minors, but also for adults with low cognitive functioning or ability. The forensic investigators are specially trained to interview these subsets of people.

Worth noting that child advocacy centers are not only used for children or minors, but also for adults with low cognitive functioning or ability. The forensic investigators are specially trained to interview these subsets of people.

Thanks for this.
I wondered if that’s why he was taken there for questioning.

I agree @katydid23. This makes the most sense to me and the published timeline -- Cash was discovered on the street around 6:40 AM and he was not reported missing until after 10:30 AM. :eek:

10:48 AM: Woman calls 911

According to court documents, the father’s acquaintance who had been caring for the four-year-old and his sibling “At about 10:48 am, Witness… called 911 to report that a 4-year-old white male could not be located.”

Neighbors at the time questioned why it took so long for someone to notice that he was missing.

Medical Examiner: 4-Year-Old Cash Gernon Died Of Multiple Stab Wounds When Found In Dallas Street
I read an article that they slept in late.
This is not directed at you Seattle1. Please let us focus on the person who murdered this child and not run down the rabbit hole sleuthing Sherrod (?)
I am sure she and others are feeling the pain of losing Cash, after all she did take the responsibility of caring for him and his brother. Postings on Social Media keep clouding these cases and I can not read here anymore.

Sure. They could tell him what’s going on.
At this point, I doubt the investigators are asking him anything else.
He was taken to DCAC - Dallas Childrens Advocacy Center for questioning after he was picked up at his home on Saturday.
This is where the Dallas Police Dept Child Abuse Unit is located as well as a district attorney that oversees cases involving crimes against children.
It would all be videoed, recorded etc.
He either cooperated and answered questions or he didn’t.
I’m sure his court-appointed attorney has told him to not discuss his case. They’ve also made it clear to the prosecutors office that he can not be questioned without an attorney present by now.

Side note- the DCAC has forensic interviewers who interview child victims of crime, abuse etc. It’s very possible Cash’s twin was taken here to be interviewed as well. moo on the last part
Whoa he's 18 at DCAC? WHAAAAAAAAT?

I read an article that they slept in late.
This is not directed at you Seattle1. Please let us focus on the person who murdered this child and not run down the rabbit hole sleuthing Sherrod (?)
I am sure she and others are feeling the pain of losing Cash, after all she did take the responsibility of caring for him and his brother. Postings on Social Media keep clouding these cases and I can not read here anymore.
Huh? I'm sorry my post unclear if OP believes the linked MSM direct quote sleuthing Sherrod. Just the opposite. My post was replying to the possibility that the accused could have still been inside the house, unknown and unseen by others that allegedly slept in past 10:30 AM. No social media posts here.

Huh? I'm sorry my post unclear if OP believes the linked MSM direct quote sleuthing Sherrod. Just the opposite. My post was replying to the possibility that the accused could have still been inside the house, unknown and unseen by others that allegedly slept in past 10:30 AM. No social media posts here.
Seattle1 I posted this was not directed at you. What was in reply to you was the first top part about them oversleeping until 10:30 am not the rest. Sorry for the confusion.

4-year-old found dead in Dallas street: Video shows boy taken from bed

****I had to search for this because no one else has mentioned it, but Cash had bite marks on his face???!!!! Has this been confirmed and was it by an animal or DB??!!!****

Lila Gilbert, 18, told the paper that she walked down the road to the crime scene and saw the child. At one point, the blanket covering him fell off and she saw blood and what appeared to be bite marks on his face.

MisPers?
I don't know why they don't show a mispers report. ...DPD put out the statement...
@AgeofAquaruis snm Thanks for your post and I'm jumping off w a different line of thought.
"DPD put out the statement..." Yes, they did draft & release that stmt. Possible that a MisPers rpt was filed, and in drafting the stmt the PIO/equivalent simply overlooked it. But seems likely imo that BioMom's filing a MisPers rpt w them would have been included, if she did.
Did DPD deliberately not include it? Only reason I can think of atm is if the MisPers Rpt was filed, it was somehow 'forgotten,' lost in the shuffle. And while that's possible, I'm not suggesting that happened and not criticizing DPD. Just a possibility and I'll put away my ;)hairsplitting scissors on this point. For now. my2ct.

MisPers?
@AgeofAquaruis snm Thanks for your post and I'm jumping off w a different line of thought.
"DPD put out the statement..." Yes, they did draft & release that stmt. Possible that a MisPers rpt was filed, and in drafting the stmt the PIO/equivalent simply overlooked it. But seems likely imo that BioMom's filing a MisPers rpt w them would have been included, if she did.
Did DPD deliberately not include it? Only reason I can think of atm is if the MisPers Rpt was filed, it was somehow 'forgotten,' lost in the shuffle. And while that's possible, I'm not suggesting that happened and not criticizing DPD. Just a possibility and I'll put away my ;)hairsplitting scissors on this point. For now. my2ct.

I also wondered since she thought the twins were with bio dad they didn’t do an official report because it was an assumed custody dispute.

edit: although I swear I saw a screenshot of a namus report for them, but no one else has mentioned it.

Ah, Jheeze you guys. Can we just focus on the murder of 4 year old Cash?
A very young sleeping child kidnapped from his bed in the middle of the night?
By a monster.
Who viciously murdered him?
For NO reason.
Other then just evil.
Many many people are attacked by evil people. If you want to hear about survivor's stories, Google "I survived". Tv series.
An excellent series on survivor's of violent crime.
Only think is we don't know its NO Reason yet , we don't know if there was a motive or not , the media coverage here is beyond awful and confusing AND the living situation is just plain weird to me, if I had 4 kids and someone left me with two more to support I would be a bit more than freaked out if that person just disappeared w no contact as reported.....its just more than odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67