GUILTY TX - Deputy Darren Goforth, 47, fatally shot, Harris County, 28 Aug 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good question. To be fair to mom, maybe he was at home, and slipped out without her knowing.
Exactly what I was getting at! I have heard that there is a whole movement of people on twitter posting "pig sightings" with a location. It is done with the intention of posting when and where there is a cop who makes an easy target. Now, most people 8nvolved aren't actually out there shooting cops, but they use it as a sick way to release pent up anger.

However, half a mile away is an easy trip if one were to see one of these postings on twitter. Grab your gun, load it, sneak out of the house without mom noticing. He could easily achieve all that and arrive at the gas station in the time it took the officer to pump his gas, go inside and pay and then head back to his car.

Good question. To be fair to mom, maybe he was at home, and slipped out without her knowing.

If I understood DA Anderson correctly, the brother said to officers that SM arrived home and then left again with the mom. The red pickup was left behind at the home when he left with mom. The white cooler seen in the video had been removed, but the dirt/ dust outline was still in the pickup bed. The cooler was nearby. The handgun was in a blue baseball bag in the garage, and they also have the partial box of ammo-- missing exactly 15 rounds that match the casings at the scene. Ballistics on the handgun match the casings.

Shooting occurred at around 8:20 pm; SM was brought in for questioning at 2:30 a.m.

Depending on what occurred in those 6 hours, sure looks like at attempt at establishing an alibi using mom-- perhaps without her knowledge. But then again, SM told LE where his handguns were. Maybe SM confessed in custody? DA Anderson would not comment on anything SM has said while in custody. It's still a capital crime in TX, even if he confessed, as I understand their laws.

Exactly what I was getting at! I have heard that there is a whole movement of people on twitter posting "pig sightings" with a location. It is done with the intention of posting when and where there is a cop who makes an easy target. Now, most people 8nvolved aren't actually out there shooting cops, but they use it as a sick way to release pent up anger.

However, half a mile away is an easy trip if one were to see one of these postings on twitter. Grab your gun, load it, sneak out of the house without mom noticing. He could easily achieve all that and arrive at the gas station in the time it took the officer to pump his gas, go inside and pay and then head back to his car.

Or, he was an aggrieved "lone wolf" with a murderous agenda, who was out for a drive in his red pickup with a loaded .40 cal handgun, hunting for a soft LE target.

Or maybe he carries a loaded handgun all the time, just in case a vulnerable LE target presents an irresistible opportunity for unprovoked execution-style murder?

Maybe he knew LE typically gassed up their patrol vehicles there? Maybe even at the end of their shifts, or a specific time each day?

Maybe he monitors scanner chatter, and heard about the traffic accident nearby, and knew LE would be around? And went out looking for them?

The DA pointed out that under Texas law, it is not necessary to establish motive. And for that, I'm glad. Although we all want to know "why".

Interesting to consider if the "real" reason the shooter murdered the officer "should" remain silent, and not discussed in the media or elsewhere? Maybe there is high level worry that the motive being discussed will only make things worse? More unrest and copycat murders?

I was glad to see DA Anderson highlight and praise the outpouring of community support in the 2 vigils for the family. She especially highlighted that many races were represented in the over 1000 mourners. That was good, and healing.

Or, he was an aggrieved "lone wolf" with a murderous agenda, who was out for a drive in his red pickup with a loaded .40 cal handgun, hunting for a soft LE target.

Or maybe he carries a loaded handgun all the time, just in case a vulnerable LE target presents an irresistible opportunity for unprovoked execution-style murder?

Maybe he knew LE typically gassed up their patrol vehicles there? Maybe even at the end of their shifts, or a specific time each day?

The DA pointed out that under Texas law, it is not necessary to establish motive. And for that, I'm glad. Although we all want to know "why".

Interesting to consider if the "real" reason the shooter murdered the officer "should" remain silent, and not discussed in the media or elsewhere? Maybe there is high level worry that the motive being discussed will only make things worse? More unrest and copycat murders?

I was glad to see DA Anderson highlight and praise the outpouring of community support in the 2 vigils for the family. She especially highlighted that many races were represented in the over 1000 mourners. That was good, and healing.

I suspect he carried one all the time for many reasons.

Forgive me if this has been asked before but even though Texas is an open carry state because of his record he wouldn't have been permitted to have any weapon at all, is that right?

I suspect he carried one all the time for many reasons.

Forgive me if this has been asked before but even though Texas is an open carry state because of his record he wouldn't have been permitted to have any weapon at all, is that right?

DA Anderson was asked about SM's felony charges related to the possession of the gun. She deferred, saying they are looking into the disposition of the felony charge. I think more charges may be coming-- esp since he had a prior charge of something like brandishing a gun.

IMO, this guy successfully avoided prison for a very long time, despite a pretty regular pattern of criminal activity. I don't think he should have been allowed to own or carry a gun.

I'm pretty sure that now he will never have to worry about owning or carrying a gun ever again.

IMO, the only way this man will ever leave custody is in a coffin. He will be in custody for the rest of his life, however long that is, and no matter the eventual cause of his death. He's done. His life is over, IMO.

I don't even think he would be allowed to plead guilty and plea this down to a life sentence. There is just too much objective evidence we know of already.

I have been attempting to have a discussion on motive for 2 days now. I have been repeatedly shut down multiple times.

IMO, there is a concerted effort to silence any discussion. Period.

There's a concerted effort to not discuss things brought up at websites that aren't used as sources here. I think that's why some of it was shut down (as you say) - if no one could click the link to the story there's nothing to read and discuss.

http://www.ktiv.com/story/29923206/the-latest-on-the-houston-deputy-officer-shot-15-times

"Roland De Los Santos said Harris County Deputy Darren Goforth was "down to earth," and had two kids with his wife, a 12-year-old daughter and a 5-year-old son.

De Los Santos said that Goforth was a Harris County jailer for several years before moving to patrol about five years ago."

rbbm to note correct spelling

[...]

"there's a lot of anger and hatred toward police," and that the death was "a direct result of the things that are being said."

"intends to plead not guilty."[/I]

Suspect Allegedly Unloaded His Entire Pistol in Texas Deputy
By Emily Shapiro via GOOD MORNING AMERICA
Aug 31 15, 11:41 am et

~

"Never spent much time in jail"
Stephanie Ramos, in videos

and that the defendant

"had a long criminal history, but no history of violent crime"
Matt Gutman,

~

his brother-in-law Stephen Allison told ABC News.

"He was the rock in that family,"... "The kids loved him."

"I didn't have a brother... when they got together he was like the only other brother in my family,"...

There's a concerted effort to not discuss things brought up at websites that aren't used as sources here. I think that's why some of it was shut down (as you say) - if no one could click the link to the story there's nothing to read and discuss.

IMO, this crime could very well have MULTIPLE motives.

Thank-you !!!

Any good investigator always explores any and all possible motives that may be relevant to the case.

You are quite welcome.
Any ideas regarding how to remedy this war on LEO's?
The more input and ideas we gather collectively, the better chance all of us have to change this glaring dangerous problem.
"Us" meaning human beings.

We cannot continue to tippy toe around this problem!
If we keep on walking on eggshells another LEO will be murdered.
If we keep on denying there is a problem another LEO will be viciously murdered in cold blood.

I just want a chance to save one human beings life.
I just want the chance to try and save our country from having no LEO's.
What in the world are we going to do if all LEO's leave their jobs?
How will we manage?

A human being has been viciously murdered, without LE we are in huge trouble.

Darren H. Goforth I am so sorry that you have lost your life.
I hope and pray that your family is getting all the help, love and support that they need to just live one day at a time without you.
does the link work now?

Just tried your link and it says it has been moved or removed from cbs website. Do you have another link I could try or the article name so I can google it? Thanks!

My apologies my link did not work for some reason.
Member Really ??? has the correct link.
It's a good read.

Very cowardly thing to do by this guy .

I feel sorry for this police officer family

Not to sound rude I respect Le alot , at same time alot of LE are just filling a quota now day. Just giving out traffic ticket to meet a pay grade, it just wrong and disrespectful to them(police). Some police officer's today are real aggressive in tone and other wise. Just looking for a some action, all these types of Le make it for bad good LE like one above who was killed. They put everyone life in danger also good police officers.

Just like if you seea heavy crime in a area the first thought is, this whole area is pretty bad, your going to very afraid of the citizen living in it. But it maybe some good people in that area trying to make a difference. I feel the same way with LE. Its some bad Le in the police buisness and the good guys are suffering. Police are losing respect around the country and around the world. because of these bad Le officers and policy's on them.

Look in my day police knocked on the doors in communities and talked to people on the front porch/ white/black. latino it didn't matter very friendly . They knew just about everybody name and everybody mother/father/etc... crime wasn't a issue nobody got shot by police, police didnt get shot in ambushes. I don't know what happened with time and respect.

Some say there's bullying going in the police business, a brotherhood of don't tell. I even hear" the just fill the quota and you'll be alright".. To me these elements are just as much to blame as the shooters out here of police. The system don't respect the cops if they are just to fill a quota to certain amount. Police are bigger than the money to be made. Alot change lives for the better by police everyday.

I remember case were a teenager got $550 ticket and was charged wreckless driving for driving his own car in his front yard to get to his garage further in his yard.. then hand cuffed and taken to the police station for disorderly conduct.. it blew my mind. No law version parking on your own property, no law on to having be aware of police. The police officer was too hyper ,asked for id then just go bananas on the teenager in restraining of him while he is going for Id. No kind of calm or respect to obey his command by the officer, jst go bananas on when they feel like it. These kind police officers give the good ones a bad name, it make people lose respect in police. Then you have media who bring killers like this guy out on police, rile them up even more to kill.

In my opinion it sad to see a good Le die over foolishness, I think society as whole need to step back and start making real changes. My prayers go to his family, and that community

Mob mentality? I dunno. I am a Canadian who spends much time in the U.S. and have many U.S. relatives. To gun down an innocent Officer suggests to me with all in the news the hatred has spread and is beyond control. Right now. Will it end? I have no answer. What I do think and have never posted this is the gun laws need to tighten. Will it help? I think it's too late and it vary's so much state to state. When we do travel many ask why is your gun crime rate so low. I dont want to get into stats but we do have incredibly strict gun laws. Having said that my American Family members do have guns. For protection. And I support them. It just is so very sad folks have to live this way. And some die this way. No debate just sayin.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srg164
Back