TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to have people share perspectives and opinions. Multiple perspectives give the discussions depth.

Do we know for certain whether he received a snap or sent a snap?
If he received a snap, it might make sense if he impromptu checked to read a message at no place in particular. Theoretically, he could have gotten distracted by the snap message and missed the turn.
If he sent a snap, then he could have been meeting someone. He also could have been getting tired or bored and just happened to snap chat someone. It is ominous that he disappeared very close to that time, though. Causation? Correlation?
On at least some phones, even though you can't see the actual message, you can see who the last person was that sent the snap. Wonder if this information is known?

In any case, the warrant to snap chat is very important in the direction of what happened to Jason.

But you're saying you think he might have missed the turn because it was dark and there were branches on the road? (taken from your previous post) What do you think about the fact he turned off Waze and Snapped with someone at that intersection? (which was when his digital footprint ends) Does that change your opinion at all about what could have happened at that intersection?
I think I would need to know the details of what was going on digitally for me to make a definitive opinion...we don’t know what he was doing on Snapchat, right? Simply opening snapchat doesn’t mean he was actively speaking to someone on the app. Was his Waze routed to home, or somewhere else? I agree the route is a bit odd to take to get to that area, but personally I had routed myself to the bucees (popular gas station in TX) in luling from San Marcos.

Could he have been snapping someone when he opened the app? Sure. But was it simply a groupchat with his friends, or a single individual, or someone he was meeting up with? We don’t know so we have to make a lot of assumptions.

Does “turning off Waze” mean he fully closed the app or was it running in the background when he opened snapchat?

As of right now, making as little assumptions as possible, I think that it’s likely he missed the turn and ended up on a dark road in the middle of no where and crashed. I think it’s possible for other things to have happened to lead him there, but that takes a lot more assumptions. We really can’t make a lot of it without knowing some of that specific digital info that won’t come out for awhile.

It's great to have people share perspectives and opinions. Multiple perspectives give the discussions depth.

Do we know for certain whether he received a snap or sent a snap?
If he received a snap, it might make sense if he impromptu checked to read a message at no place in particular. Theoretically, he could have gotten distracted by the snap message and missed the turn.
If he sent a snap, then he could have been meeting someone. He also could have been getting tired or bored and just happened to snap chat someone. It is ominous that he disappeared very close to that time, though. Causation? Correlation?
On at least some phones, even though you can't see the actual message, you can see who the last person was that sent the snap. Wonder if this information is known?

In any case, the warrant to snap chat is very important in the direction of what happened to Jason.
I completely agree with this. I do find it a bit odd that everyone is focusing on this snapchat thing when in reality it is not unheard of for someone to open a Snapchat while driving. Really just depends on the context of who and what he was snapping about

No no, it took me to the intersection where you could either go straight and it turn into SFR, or turn right to head towards the interstate. I took the right turn. I didn’t mean for it to come off like I went to SFR, I was just at that same intersection.
So, if Waze was turned off or muted, there would be no obvious, easy to see alert that you should turn rather than continue straight and that road turns to Salt Flat Rd.

That is why the question "Why did Jason turn onto Salt Flat Rd" is not valid in my opinion. Study the map of Lulling.
He did not turn onto Salt Flat Road. He missed a turn which would have kept him on main roads and off Salt Flat Rd. He was just going straight until he was told to turn (and that did not happen). Compare the green line below (correct route) with where he ended up (red line, sorry I didn't curve is as much as the road does). You can see how he could end up on Salt Flat Rd without some nefarious interaction.

Attachments

• luling.png
    luling.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I completely agree with this. I do find it a bit odd that everyone is focusing on this snapchat thing when in reality it is not unheard of for someone to open a Snapchat while driving. Really just depends on the context of who and what he was snapping about

i think it is quite critical, for two reasons: one, Jason had never driven this route before (and not at night), and was the type to rely on Waze heavily. So the fact that the he turned it off (or opened the app, which disabled Waze) before this intersection is quite peculiar.

Second, KL says that he could see snap notifications coming in while he had the phone, but couldn't open them as he didn't have the passcode. And nobody has come forward.

(both of the above paragraphs are sourced from the KL interview on Lordan Arts.)

maybe nothing will come out of it, maybe it turns out it was a random moment. But that it happened just an hour or so before last known sighting cannot he ignored.

i think it is quite critical, for two reasons: one, Jason had never driven this route before (and not at night), and was the type to rely on Waze heavily. So the fact that the he turned it off (or opened the app, which disabled Waze) before this intersection is quite peculiar.

It was my understanding from previous reports and interviews with KL that Jason had driven home once before, Thanksgiving, but this was the first time at night.

Google Maps
I recall reading that he turned off his Waze and checked Snapchat at the intersection of South Hackberry and E. Austin which is about 5 blocks prior to the intersection where he should have turned right to go to Rt. 10. I put a Google Map link to that intersection a page or so ago because upon looking at it, I couldn't figure out why he would do that there. There isn't a light or any apparent reason he would slow down and pull up his phone and do that. I think he had arrived in Luling and had reason to make contact with someone and I think he went down Salt Flat Road on purpose. MOO MOO MOO
I think so too.

Even if he accidentally missed the turn, i don’t think he would have driven that far down the road when clearly it was getting desolate. And if his phone was stuck between the seat and it started getting darker and more remote, why wouldn’t he stop and dig out his phone or turn into a driveway and turn around. MOO

I dated a fella that came from a religious family. At 20 he first started learning about socialization and drugs. When I learnt about drugs I was with people learning about drugs..younger age. Nobody I know smokes dope or tobacco in cars. So I think he just did something..could be alcohol or who knows...and things went sides.

Even if he accidentally missed the turn, i don’t think he would have driven that far down the road when clearly it was getting desolate. And if his phone was stuck between the seat and it started getting darker and more remote, why wouldn’t he stop and dig out his phone or turn into a driveway and turn around. MOO

I totally agree. Just to clarify (for those that are newly tuned in) on how far ' that far down the road is'... it was ~5 miles. We're not talking a block or two. Also, there were many opportunities to turn around and go back toward town. For whatever reason, whomever was driving the car continued on until it crashed, then basically disappeared into thin air. Which still makes me wonder if that 'disappearing into thin air' has anything to do with them saying the the scent the dogs were following "abruptly stopped". That keeps making me wonder if whoever's scent it was got into another car and away they went, willingly or otherwise.

I dated a fella that came from a religious family. At 20 he first started learning about socialization and drugs. When I learnt about drugs I was with people learning about drugs..younger age. Nobody I know smokes dope or tobacco in cars. So I think he just did something..could be alcohol or who knows...and things went sides.

People do smoke both dope and tobacco in cars. I've been behind cars smoking up a storm as they drive down the street, cigarette out the window so as not to "stink up the car" (sorry, it doesn't work). I've also smelled pot coming from the car ahead of me. I've seen people flick butts out the window (don't even get me started on that. It ticks me off for a few reasons). I've also seen people hang out in parked cars smoking. I've seen tweakers in cars. Lastly, Jamisha Gilbert was smoking "a few joints in a car" (per statements given to LE) with 3 other people (that's 4 total right there) shortly before she was found dead. So it does happen, whether you've witnessed it or not. Kinda like the question... if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? My answer is yes. lol It does. :p

People do smoke both dope and tobacco in cars. I've been behind cars smoking up a storm as they drive down the street, cigarette out the window so as not to "stink up the car" (sorry, it doesn't work). I've also smelled pot coming from the car ahead of me. I've seen people flick butts out the window (don't even get me started on that. It ticks me off for a few reasons). I've also seen people hang out in parked cars smoking. I've seen tweakers in cars. Lastly, Jamisha Gilbert was smoking "a few joints in a car" (per statements given to LE) with 3 other people (that's 4 total right there) shortly before she was found dead. So it does happen, whether you've witnessed it or not. Kinda like the question... if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? My answer is yes. lol It does. :p
It was his families car..not his car. For resale value most people will not smoke in car. But yes..true some people's do smoke in car's. Used to call it hot boxing.

But if Waze didn't say anything (and the one report said Waze was closed when Snapchat opened or something similar to that), he may have assumed he was still on the correct path and would meet up with the interstate or a road leading to the interstate soon.
Waze doesn't always take you the same way (based on traffic conditions/drive time) so if it wasn't the exact same way he went the trip before it would not be surprising to a Waze user.
Last weekend I made a trip I've made several times before here in Georgia. This time, for whatever reason, Waze took me on a "shortcut" across a gravel road I'd never used before. I was surprised when I exited the gravel road how much further up the highway I was than expected.
Now if Jason had looked at the phone and noticed Waze was no longer active, then he would have realized the error. But it appears he did not and was driving waiting on the next Waze instruction (which was not coming).

It was his families car..not his car. For resale value most people will not smoke in car. But yes..true some people's do smoke in car's. Used to call it hot boxing.

Will you elaborate? (His family’s car, not his)
As in Jason was driving his family’s car?

I don’t recall seeing that. I know it was stated the registered owner of the car was Jason’s father.

IMO, that just means his father bought the vehicle (for Jason or handed it down to Jason, etc), but it was considered Jason’s car. This is pretty normal to see. JMO.

Will you elaborate? (His family’s car, not his)
As in Jason was driving his family’s car?

I don’t recall seeing that. I know it was stated the registered owner of the car was Jason’s father.

IMO, that just means his father bought the vehicle (for Jason or handed it down to Jason, etc), but it was considered Jason’s car. This is pretty normal to see. JMO.

That's my take as well. A lot of parents will buy a child a used car. They're not expecting it back. There was nothing special about the car. MOO

Here are the estimated values of a 2003 Altima per edmunds. I think it was on the lower end. The car didn't look all that great and I'm not talking about just the wrecked condition. Also, it wasn't very tidy/clean inside so he obviously (to me) wasn't treating it with high respect like it was his dad's car that he needed to give back at one point. Again, MOO.

2003 Nissan Altima Value - $465-$3,181 | Edmunds

That's my take as well. A lot of parents will buy a child a used car. They're not expecting it back. There was nothing special about the car. MOO

Here are the estimated values of a 2003 Altima per edmunds. I think it was on the lower end. The car didn't look all that great and I'm not talking about just the wrecked condition. Also, it wasn't very tidy/clean inside so he obviously (to me) wasn't treating it with high respect like it was his dad's car that he needed to give back at one point. Again, MOO.

2003 Nissan Altima Value - $465-$3,181 | Edmunds
Agree it was a kid car bought by a parent .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member