TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the site often and this is one of those cases i always check on. I dont read every post just look at last one for an update. my question. If he was hurt and took off walking toward lights, has anyone gone there at the same time of night and started walking toward lights? MOO hes hurt, sees lights and heads toward them, maybe on the way he sees lights that are closer and turns and walks toward those instead. sorry for not reading every post before i asked question.

He was doing a 3-hour drive from his San Marcos apartment to his parents in Missouri City on a Sunday night. He started at around 11 PM, but that might be because he was working swing shift (?). It makes sense that he would drive through Luling. He is using Waze but perhaps drops his phone and it switches itself to SnapChat in the process. Or perhaps he switches to SnapChat by accident, and loses service (where he ends up just a few miles down the road is quite remote and service could have been spotty as he was leaving Luling). He gets disoriented and turns towards Salt Flat Road when he should be continuing onto I10. He gets into a bad accident. There are bloodied clothes found nearby, but not blood in the car. The car was located almost immediately. But, he was in an area with thick brush off the road and there was a storm that had just hit.

I wonder if he was stoned, made a wrong turn, and crashed whilst getting lost. The impact may have caused a concussion, he took off his clothes, and wandered off in 40 (F) degree weather, maybe falling into a body of water (surrounded by thick brush), and dying from either the head injuries, hypothermia, or drowning. If this happened, his body would have to be found at some point.

You would think all of the nearby watering holes would have been dredged, but I can't find any info on this. Also, I'd like to know if any of the canine units included cadaver dogs. These are the two points I wonder most about, so they can give the parents answers and they can get some closure.

He was doing a 3-hour drive from his San Marcos apartment to his parents in Missouri City on a Sunday night. He started at around 11 PM, but that might be because he was working swing shift (?). It makes sense that he would drive through Luling. He is using Waze but perhaps drops his phone and it switches itself to SnapChat in the process. Or perhaps he switches to SnapChat by accident, and loses service (where he ends up just a few miles down the road is quite remote and service could have been spotty as he was leaving Luling). He gets disoriented and turns towards Salt Flat Road when he should be continuing onto I10. He gets into a bad accident. There are bloodied clothes found nearby, but not blood in the car. The car was located almost immediately. But, he was in an area with thick brush off the road and there was a storm that had just hit.

I wonder if he was stoned, made a wrong turn, and crashed whilst getting lost. The impact may have caused a concussion, he took off his clothes, and wandered off in 40 (F) degree weather, maybe falling into a body of water (surrounded by thick brush), and dying from either the head injuries, hypothermia, or drowning. If this happened, his body would have to be found at some point.

You would think all of the nearby watering holes would have been dredged, but I can't find any info on this. Also, I'd like to know if any of the canine units included cadaver dogs. These are the two points I wonder most about, so they can give the parents answers and they can get some closure.
Your description is not quite accurate. Jason would need to make a turn to get to I-10.
He failed to make that turn and by driving straight ahead he ended up on Salt Flat Road. He didn't make a wrong turn because Waze was off - he failed to make a turn he should have made because Waze was off.

Here's a quote from the previous page in this thread that answers some of your questions.
Cadaver dogs hit on a pond, it was completely drained but no body was found.
"The Vanished" podcast she's referring to is worth a listen, it has lengthy interviews with his father and investigators that gives a lot of detail.
This is a must-listen.

Takeaways:

Jason's home address was entered into Waze.

Dogs hit on water. They've drained ponds more than once.

IMO. Jason may have been knocked out by the crash. When he came to, he may have already been hypothermic. It was bitterly cold that night, serious wind chills. In that state, he could've already been to befuddled to retrieve his phone. Out of the car, hypothermia seems even more likely.

I see only one of two possibilities. Jason burrowed in somewhere, succumbing to hypothermia, and searches have missed him. Animals...

Or his father's second theory. That a driver hit Jason and panicked.

We only know of two drivers on the road that night, the firefighter who reported the car and an oil worker who reported no abandoned car on that stretch. Perhaps there was a third.

If that happened, there's a person out there who needs to do the right thing... a matter of character. Stakes high. Vehicular homicide. Charges, sentence, jail. Loss of job, loss of freedom. For now, that person is free and no one knows....

I think this is a fair possibility.

I think this was an accident.... followed by another accident, that was fatal. Nearly unbelievable but here we are.

JMO

Thank you for the corrections. I can't seem to edit the post unfortunately. :(

Thank you for that. The father's theory is intriguing. The question that would immediately spring up for me is--if he wasn't stripping in a delirium due to a concussion--why were there bloody clothes left on the road?

snipped
Thank you for that. The father's theory is intriguing. The question that would immediately spring up for me is--if he wasn't stripping in a delirium due to a concussion--why were there bloody clothes left on the road?

Twenty to fifty percent of hypothermia deaths are associated with paradoxical undressing.

Get Naked and Dig: The Bizarre Effects of Hypothermia

To shut down the loss of heat from the extremities, the body induces vasoconstriction, the reflexive contraction of blood vessels.

Over time, however, the muscles necessary for inducing vasoconstriction become exhausted and fail, causing warm blood to rush from the core to the extremities. This results in a kind of "hot flash" that makes victims of severe hypothermia — who are already confused and disoriented — feel as though they're burning up, so they remove their clothes

Paradoxical undressing often occurs immediately before terminal burrowing

Maybe I missed something more recent because I haven't been following this case as closely in recent months, but why do you keep referencing "bloody clothes"? I thought there was only a trace amount of blood found on the waistband of his shorts?

Thank you for that explanation. I appreciate the detail. What I intended with my question was, if somebody hit and killed Jason and absconded with his body (according to what I understood about the father's theory from the quote you shared), why were his clothes left on the road.

I read up on the case yesterday and read it a couple of places. I think this was one of them:

Jason Landry left home in 2020 and has not been seen since

The elder Landry found a pile of his son’s clothes, some bloody, strewn across the road.

Which I may have misinterpreted. But, I will stop referencing that if I have.

I'm mainly curious about the clothes being left on the road if Jason was hit and killed. The clothes being left on the road makes more sense to me if it was due to delirium associated with concussion or hypothermia, as detailed by Everybodhi.

This is a must-listen.

Takeaways:

Jason's home address was entered into Waze.

Dogs hit on water. They've drained ponds more than once.

IMO. Jason may have been knocked out by the crash. When he came to, he may have already been hypothermic. It was bitterly cold that night, serious wind chills. In that state, he could've already been to befuddled to retrieve his phone. Out of the car, hypothermia seems even more likely.

I see only one of two possibilities. Jason burrowed in somewhere, succumbing to hypothermia, and searches have missed him. Animals...

Or his father's second theory. That a driver hit Jason and panicked.

We only know of two drivers on the road that night, the firefighter who reported the car and an oil worker who reported no abandoned car on that stretch. Perhaps there was a third.

If that happened, there's a person out there who needs to do the right thing... a matter of character. Stakes high. Vehicular homicide. Charges, sentence, jail. Loss of job, loss of freedom. For now, that person is free and no one knows....

I think this is a fair possibility.

I think this was an accident.... followed by another accident, that was fatal. Nearly unbelievable but here we are.

JMO

If he was knocked out in the car, it seems it would be awhile before the interior of the car became really cold. He had been driving for long enough for the heater to be fully effective; although the back windshield was broken out. So maybe so. Also, if someone hit him and then panicked and picked him up and drove off, that wouldn't have knocked his clothing off.

This is the most baffling mystery.

If he was knocked out in the car, it seems it would be awhile before the interior of the car became really cold. He had been driving for long enough for the heater to be fully effective; although the back windshield was broken out. So maybe so. Also, if someone hit him and then panicked and picked him up and drove off, that wouldn't have knocked his clothing off.

This is the most baffling mystery.

There's really only 3 options I can fathom. He either voluntarily removed his clothes or he was forced to remove his clothes by someone else or someone else removed his clothes for him.
The hypothermia angle makes the most sense since, from what I read, he wasn't wearing the appropriate clothing for the weather at that time and, like you said, the back window was broken out.

Respectfully, I take issue with the MSM author's term "bloody clothes." We've seen the clothing: a small spot of blood on the waistband of JL's shorts where he likely brushed up against the barbed wire fence when pushing out of the driver's side door.

Stripping his clothing could be several things from shock to a drug/weed-induced psychosis. Without a body, toxicology, autopsy, etc. -- no way to be definitive.

MOO

We've been here before -- human error. And time has not made any part of this easier. :(

Jason Landry left home in 2020 and has not been seen since

10/28/2021

Capt. Jeff Ferry of the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office is the lead detective on the case and admitted that early on, things weren’t done perfectly.

“There is no inventory conducted. The trooper does not go into the vehicle. The trooper does not place a hold on the vehicle,” he told NewsNation.

It’s those first hours that haunt Kent Landry to this day, still wondering why law enforcement didn’t react more urgently.

The Vanished Podcast: Jason Landry on Apple Podcasts
Monday, October 25, 2021
1 hr 22 minutes

21-year-old Jason Landry disappeared on December 13, 2020. Jason had just completed his first semester at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. He was making the nearly 3-hour drive to his family's home in Missouri City, Texas, for the holidays. It's believed that Jason left around 10:55 PM that night. Around 12:30 AM, a volunteer firefighter discovered Jason's car crashed on a dark, desolate road just outside of Luling, Texas. Luling was along Jason's route home. Jason's parents were jolted awake that night when the phone rang. An officer from the Texas Highway Patrol was on the other line, informing them that they had found their son's car crashed, but there was no sign of Jason at the scene. That was the beginning of this nightmare for the Landry family, and more than ten months later, they are still searching for answers.

If you have any information about the disappearance of Jason Landry, please call the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office at 512-398-6777 extension 4516.

Interview with Kent:

ETA: Have your tissues ready. It's a heartbreaking discussion, and even the reporter was crying by the end of it. :(:(:(

If I’m understanding this correctly, when Jason reached the final STOP sign on his journey, he should have turned left or right, but instead went straight ahead?

If this is the case, this video someone made (in daytime) and the final stop sign suddenly appeared after a very long drive in the dark, in a very rural area on a straight road. It would be very easy to miss it. I was shocked when it suddenly appeared in the video. Going straight on the road suddenly becomes a bumpy gravel track. If Jason was travelling at a fairly high speed, having been on a very long road for ages, hitting the gravel would have been a terrible shock. He could easily have dropped his phone as he bumped and potentially skidded on the gravel.

Similarly, where was his fish when he was driving? It could have been in his backpack, but equally, Jason could have put it on the front passenger seat. As he hit the gravel, the container holding his fish may have rolled off into the footwell, or even into Jason’s footwell. As it rolled, it could have potentially hit Jason’s leg or foot, or he may have stuck his arm out to try to catch the fish container.

Any of this could have distracted Jason sufficiently for a crash to occur.

In the video, there wasn’t a single car in sight. This was in the daytime. At night, it’s likely to be even less vehicles in this area l especially on the gravel track. We know that around this time two vehicles passed the area of Jason’s car. A man who saw nothing and an hour later a volunteer fire fighter, who found Jason’s car.

Follow the minute-by-minute timeline leading up to missing Missouri City student's crash

Could he have been shocked, stunned, concussed and actually waited a while in the car in the hope someone came by who could help? Or did he worry the car could catch fire, so got himself and his fish out safely?

Bodies in shock can’t regulate their temperature and Jason seems to have been wearing thin clothing. His dad said it was a cold night, cold enough to die of hypothermia, which is rare in Texas. So he got hyperthermia, stripped off, perhaps left his clothes and belongings in the road to signal as issue to anyone driving along the road and headed off to find help.

There seems to me to be only three possibilities to explain where Jason is.

1)Someone took him, killed him and disposed of his body miles away.
2) Someone gave him a lift, Jason died in the vehicle and the driver panicked and dumped Jason’s body somewhere.
3) Jason is still nearby and for some reason he hasn’t been found.

1 seems bizarre. 2 seems possible. 3 seems more likely.

If I’m understanding this correctly, when Jason reached the final STOP sign on his journey, he should have turned left or right, but instead went straight ahead?
^^rsbm

That's not correct. Jason was traveling TX-80 S where he was to turn right at Magnolia Ave (US-183) to reach the I-10 interchange.

The right turn at Magnolia Ave/US-183 is not at a stop sign but at a major intersection with a traffic light. Instead, he crossed the intersection into a quiet neighborhood whereby at the first stop sign in that darkened neighborhood, he would or should have known that he missed the turn and was going the wrong way.

data=XMuFJE7FtICrZr2rZu-DJrd6mUN2JkY_yyB72GjPmY-K3mt9Iede0f1ok1KXUEOGxsEWKQkmTNcylP0R1atwIQmf_wmm_FqNzvrt_llo2zEGeZXXWrLquw9E6WMyKYcq2MQrtqd-HKtxUsExR6EF2EdvUjKWG0_r9crNOEeWCbTm9k79lnI08mGz3CFl9t-Nje_Qqg,gGUTLcNh8KwAe_-B_u75_7D_spr9nYV7jUX4kIafU0KvGbNDzB56l7HSWPSgXj6mcySNYz3pyYzy0ovr8vsRZkSffm8gmlzpfgeEhwmZYaQYuasHvYqLfuN3V5M8LiM4X3zg73m1PGIULVPoXDgjMYp30FoXHEdMbedIIflJjUNmvD2Xzmdh4l3Bl-PQgoPnlX9j0uAWUzQ-6bAyDxNpUQvMdZzq6GMsVAGb4L0_rlfpLBK_IiV-nISCqD7viqqOXoFg_DGV97fVUwyzi9y8nr2WzU_7Q3okknBSeT-XSIjw7vlfqejuA6hIMHB_rYD2YkmsCYCTaJSPx4pydIYsaHLOSGlJzTAjv41Mgmtl-nasdFdG-El5cz8WZCHeJAFf

30 min (24.2 mi) via TX-80 S

travel san marcos tx to luling tx - Google Search

Such a tragedy -- sending peace & comfort to Jason's family and friends.

Listened to the Vanished podcast, here are some thoughts:

- Jason got a job at Jimmy John's as a way to get out and see people and had previously worked at a JJ's in high school.
- I had speculated that JL had left right after finishing finals, but here, KL says that Jason had finished a day or two prior to the drive, and had texted saying that he intended to leave at around 8 pm or so.
- His plans for gaming with friends was online, not any kind of IRL meetup.
- KL described it as Snapchat pinging less than Waze, but it's still strange (IMO) that there was no "digital trail" at all just one block east of switching to the Snapchat app. in practical terms, that makes it much harder to speculate/guess what happened in that 67-minute window (from when the digital trail ended to when the VFF called in the report)
- According to KL, the first person on the scene said he smelled marijuana, but KL didn't.
- KL reiterates that he doesn't believe Jason was using while driving, but he can't 100% rule it out. A detail that I hadn't heard before was that the backpack was zipped up so it wouldn't have been accessible to Jason while driving. (I believe he also says it was in the back seat, though I don't know how he would know that for sure.)
- Jason hadn't called/texted just before leaving; KL says he would have advised/asked him wait up until morning rather than start driving so late at night.

KL also says that the potential search area is extremely vast. He says that he could be two feet away from bones and he might miss it. That's why they're trying to analyze drone footage and narrow potential smaller pockets to search. This is more difficult since it's presumed that JL took off the clothes he was wearing, so they'd be looking for bones, not colors from clothing.

If this is the case, this video someone made (in daytime) and the final stop sign suddenly appeared after a very long drive in the dark, in a very rural area on a straight road. It would be very easy to miss it. I was shocked when it suddenly appeared in the video. Going straight on the road suddenly becomes a bumpy gravel track. If Jason was travelling at a fairly high speed, having been on a very long road for ages, hitting the gravel would have been a terrible shock. He could easily have dropped his phone as he bumped and potentially skidded on the gravel.

Similarly, where was his fish when he was driving? It could have been in his backpack, but equally, Jason could have put it on the front passenger seat. As he hit the gravel, the container holding his fish may have rolled off into the footwell, or even into Jason’s footwell. As it rolled, it could have potentially hit Jason’s leg or foot, or he may have stuck his arm out to try to catch the fish container.

Any of this could have distracted Jason sufficiently for a crash to occur.

In the video, there wasn’t a single car in sight. This was in the daytime. At night, it’s likely to be even less vehicles in this area l especially on the gravel track. We know that around this time two vehicles passed the area of Jason’s car. A man who saw nothing and an hour later a volunteer fire fighter, who found Jason’s car.

Follow the minute-by-minute timeline leading up to missing Missouri City student's crash

Could he have been shocked, stunned, concussed and actually waited a while in the car in the hope someone came by who could help? Or did he worry the car could catch fire, so got himself and his fish out safely?

Bodies in shock can’t regulate their temperature and Jason seems to have been wearing thin clothing. His dad said it was a cold night, cold enough to die of hypothermia, which is rare in Texas. So he got hyperthermia, stripped off, perhaps left his clothes and belongings in the road to signal as issue to anyone driving along the road and headed off to find help.

There seems to me to be only three possibilities to explain where Jason is.

1)Someone took him, killed him and disposed of his body miles away.
2) Someone gave him a lift, Jason died in the vehicle and the driver panicked and dumped Jason’s body somewhere.
3) Jason is still nearby and for some reason he hasn’t been found.

1 seems bizarre. 2 seems possible. 3 seems more likely.
The drive in the video was quite far from the main intersection JL missed to take a turn at. I'm surprised at how far back it was. JL must have been surprised himself at where he was. It didn't help that his phone had slipped down. Otherwise I'm sure he would have checked to make sure he was going the correct way or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cancerkilla