TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to find them but I think article's have said that his car was cold.
IIRC, the VFF who allegedly was the first person to see JL's vehicle said he felt the hood of the car to get an idea how long it had been sitting there. I can't recall if he said it was cold or not, only it had happened recently. By the time LE arrived on the scene, an hour after the VFF call, it would have been cold.

In January 1925, Nome, Alaska was dire, as diphtheria had taken the lives of two young children and many more deaths were sure to come. The needed antitoxins were 674 miles away in Nenana, and it was determined the best way to retrieve them was through a dog sled relay which would eventually inspire the Iditarod.

I've been a fan of mushers and their dogs most of my life that sprang from a love my father held for the Great State of Alaska. There are many fascinating documentaries and movies about the Great Race and I've seen most of them. One thing I learned early on was to respect the weather; the bitterly cold weather that leaves a man's fingers and toes black from frostbite or the mind delirious due to frigid temperatures.

Delirious is described as an acutely disturbed state of mind resulting from illness or intoxication and characterized by restlessness, illusions, and incoherence of thought and speech.

In a report about death by hypothermia, is this alarming statement:

"With each degree by which the body temperature drops after 35, the metabolic rate in the body drops by 3-5%. After the mark of 34 degrees, you begin to gradually lose your memory and sanity."

I believe we've determined the low in Luling that fateful evening was 34 degrees Fahrenheit.

Death from hypothermia: what happens to the human body at low temperatures

2 bodies found in abandoned oil tanker trailer | KVEO-TV

Kingsbury is the next town over from where JL disappeared.
There was another body recovered (river) in Guadalupe County last December and we learned at that time that there are several missing persons in that county. I hope the victims are identified soon and their families can have some sense of closure.

The body found near Seguin has been identified as Benjamin Loera, 16, who had been missing since Oct. 26. Three people had been previously arrested for his kidnapping and assault.

Missing boy, 16, identified as body found along Guadalupe River near Seguin, authorities say

In January 1925, Nome, Alaska was dire, as diphtheria had taken the lives of two young children and many more deaths were sure to come. The needed antitoxins were 674 miles away in Nenana, and it was determined the best way to retrieve them was through a dog sled relay which would eventually inspire the Iditarod.

I've been a fan of mushers and their dogs most of my life that sprang from a love my father held for the Great State of Alaska. There are many fascinating documentaries and movies about the Great Race and I've seen most of them. One thing I learned early on was to respect the weather; the bitterly cold weather that leaves a man's fingers and toes black from frostbite or the mind delirious due to frigid temperatures.

Delirious is described as an acutely disturbed state of mind resulting from illness or intoxication and characterized by restlessness, illusions, and incoherence of thought and speech.

In a report about death by hypothermia, is this alarming statement:

"With each degree by which the body temperature drops after 35, the metabolic rate in the body drops by 3-5%. After the mark of 34 degrees, you begin to gradually lose your memory and sanity."

I believe we've determined the low in Luling that fateful evening was 34 degrees Fahrenheit.

Death from hypothermia: what happens to the human body at low temperatures

"With each degree by which the body temperature drops after 35, the metabolic rate in the body drops by 3-5%. After the mark of 34 degrees, you begin to gradually lose your memory and sanity." Quote

I think they are referring to core body temperatures which are listed in Centigrade, not the ambient temperature of the environment. Normal body temperature is 37 degrees C. If your core gets below 34 degrees you are in big trouble.

"With each degree by which the body temperature drops after 35, the metabolic rate in the body drops by 3-5%. After the mark of 34 degrees, you begin to gradually lose your memory and sanity." Quote

I think they are referring to core body temperatures which are listed in Centigrade, not the ambient temperature of the environment. Normal body temperature is 37 degrees C. If your core gets below 34 degrees you are in big trouble.
Thank You!

Nobody knows why he stripped, but I don't think the cold would have killed him! If he managed to walk until he reached civilization, he would have survived, shorts, flip flops and all!

Last edited:

Thank you! You're a gem. The report had me shivering. I'm accustomed to using 98.6 as core temp for our body.

Hope remains as search for missing Texas State student continues

A private investigation team hired by Jason's parents believe he was not alone the night of his disappearance. The team is fighting to seek a geofence warrant which will reveal if any cellphones were nearby during the time of his disappearance. Geofencing captures cell phone data from the area and would help in finding additional leads on the case by identifying any potential suspects or witnesses near the scene.

A petition with over 15,000 signatures was created in hopes the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office would secure a geofence warrant.

Abel Pena and Stu Gary are private investigators working for the Landry family pro bono. They support law enforcement's efforts in this case but believe securing a geofence warrant would accelerate the investigation.

"[The warrant] would eliminate days, if not months of investigation," Gary said.

I don't think he disrobed because of hypothermia. Something else was going on, perhaps a head injury, but it's hard to say looking at the extent of damage to the vehicle.

I've been in an accident similar to his, but it wasn't on a gravel road, it was whiteout conditions in the middle of a winter storm. The car spun around, left the road, went into a ditch after hitting a fence and ended up facing the opposite direction. My husband and I just sat there for a while getting our bearings and realizing we were just shaken up, not injured. We couldn't get out of the car until the cops arrived with a tow truck.

I wonder if the same type of thing happened to Jason. Maybe he couldn't get out of the driver's door since it was up against the fence so he crawled over the console and left through the passenger door.

Whatever happened to Jason, he had the wherewithal to collect all his belongings, including his fish, and get it all out onto the road. That's when things get a little muddy.

His clothing was found about 900 feet from the vehicle. I can't see anyone suffering from paradoxical undressing during the short period it would have taken him to walk that distance. It wasn't cold enough for that to happen. Even if he'd been stunned for a while, sitting in a cooling vehicle before he got out, he still wouldn't have been vulnerable to hypothermia, IMO.

I don't see any evidence that someone was with him in the vehicle. I suppose there is a long shot that someone came along before the VFF and took JL but why and why leave all his belongings including his wallet with money and ID just sitting there in the middle of the road?

Please know I am not attempting to be disagreeable. We buried my baby sister this month. It's activated my C-PTSD and increased the insomnia.

I've always felt Jason suffered a head injury. Jason removed the backpack and his beta from his car. He did not take his car keys, wallet and most importantly, imo, he did not take his cell phone. The passenger's door was locked as discovered at the tow yard by KL. Mr. Landry has made his pain palatable to the public. My heart fills with sorrow.

"Dec.13, 11:24 p.m. - Jason enters Luling, Texas on Highway 80. He stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat. He passes through the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and East Austin Street, and that’s where Jason’s digital footprint stops. It’s believed he continued on East Austin to Spruce Street, which turns into Salt Flat Road.

Investigators say Jason’s phone, which was found between the driver’s seat and center console, was on and had a signal, so they are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the intersection at Magnolia Avenue."

Maybe the cell phone lost it's wifi signal at Magnolia Ave. Is that possible?

A cell phone between the console and the seat does not seem to be a tricky place to locate it even in a dark car, jmo. Did he intentionally leave his cell phone behind? What makes the PI feel Jason was not alone?

Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry

Last edited:
Please know I am not attempting to be disagreeable. We buried my baby sister this month. It's activated my C-PTSD and increased the insomnia.

I've always felt Jason suffered a head injury. Jason removed the backpack and his beta from his car. He did not take his car keys, wallet and most importantly, imo, he did not take his cell phone. The passenger's door was locked as discovered at the tow yard by KL. Mr. Landry has made his pain palatable to the public. My heart fills with sorrow.

"Dec.13, 11:24 p.m. - Jason enters Luling, Texas on Highway 80. He stops using the Waze app and opens Snapchat. He passes through the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and East Austin Street, and that’s where Jason’s digital footprint stops. It’s believed he continued on East Austin to Spruce Street, which turns into Salt Flat Road.

Investigators say Jason’s phone, which was found between the driver’s seat and center console, was on and had a signal, so they are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the intersection at Magnolia Avenue."

A cell phone between the console and the seat does not seem to be a tricky place to locate it even in a dark car, jmo. Did he intentionally leave his cell phone behind? What makes the PI feel Jason was not alone?

Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry

The area where he crashed is a dead zone.

Here's an article, but I was wrong, Jason's dad went to the impound lot where the car had been towed and opened the unlocked driver's door and found the phone between the seats on the floor.

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry timeline: What we know

I've dropped my phone between the seats and it can be really tricky getting it out without causing an accident. It just has to stay there until you stop driving.

Yeah, I do believe he exited the driver's door due to the possible knick from the barbed wire and, more so, from pure habit. Jason's car did stop when it hit the tree. I don't understand why he didn't take his cell phone. Maybe his hands are large and couldn't fit between the seat and console. Why abandon the search for it? It's a mystery and realize I'll never learn the answer.

After his disappearance, his vehicle, a silver 2003 Nissan Altima with the Texas license plate number BV1Y123, was found wrecked and abandoned in the 2300 block of Salt Flat Road just outside of Luling, Texas, about a thirty-minute drive from San Marcos. The car's lights were on, the keys in the ignition and the front passenger door was locked. Landry's keys, wallet, phone and other personal belongings were inside the car.

Jason David Landry – The Charley Project

I don't think he disrobed because of hypothermia. Something else was going on, perhaps a head injury, but it's hard to say looking at the extent of damage to the vehicle.

I've been in an accident similar to his, but it wasn't on a gravel road, it was whiteout conditions in the middle of a winter storm. The car spun around, left the road, went into a ditch after hitting a fence and ended up facing the opposite direction. My husband and I just sat there for a while getting our bearings and realizing we were just shaken up, not injured. We couldn't get out of the car until the cops arrived with a tow truck.

I wonder if the same type of thing happened to Jason. Maybe he couldn't get out of the driver's door since it was up against the fence so he crawled over the console and left through the passenger door.

Whatever happened to Jason, he had the wherewithal to collect all his belongings, including his fish, and get it all out onto the road. That's when things get a little muddy.

His clothing was found about 900 feet from the vehicle. I can't see anyone suffering from paradoxical undressing during the short period it would have taken him to walk that distance. It wasn't cold enough for that to happen. Even if he'd been stunned for a while, sitting in a cooling vehicle before he got out, he still wouldn't have been vulnerable to hypothermia, IMO.

I don't see any evidence that someone was with him in the vehicle. I suppose there is a long shot that someone came along before the VFF and took JL but why and why leave all his belongings including his wallet with money and ID just sitting there in the middle of the road?
I don’t think he disrobed due to hypothermia either. That would be just too fast, and if he was at the end stages of hypothermia right by the car, then he couldn’t have gone far after that! He would have been found IMO.

I do think he could have died of hypothermia though. Possibly a head injury, but I think it’s less likely that since the wreck didn’t strike anyone at the scene as life threatening. I trust that the vff and trooper see enough accidents to know how likely that bad of a head injury is. Lack of blood in car etc. It’s possible of course b/c a head injury doesn’t have to be bloody to be dangerous, but it’s not high on my list.

That leaves a few things. Foul play—someone forced him to undress, but I just don’t know why that would be. Or a drug. Most likely to me since we know he was under the influence before he left. He was sweating a lot before he left too. I think a drug probably made him need to undress after the wreck (it happens often) and he wandered off in confusion—from intoxication as well as being stunned from accident. He could have crawled in somewhere to bury in and hide and succumbed to hypothermia sometime in the night. It was definitely cold enough for that.

That’s my best guess, but I want to know what the PI found that indicates he wasn’t alone. We have NOTHING to indicate this, so I want to know. Personally I’m in favor of the geofence warrant. I think the possible benefit outweighs the very minimal privacy concerns, but I know judges have different guidelines to go by. I feel so terrible for his family.

Here's an article, but I was wrong, Jason's dad went to the impound lot where the car had been towed and opened the unlocked driver's door and found the phone between the seats on the floor.

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry timeline: What we know

I've dropped my phone between the seats and it can be really tricky getting it out without causing an accident. It just has to stay there until you stop driving.
Ya know if he was smoking pot or vape he could have had his window cracked and thought his phone maybe slid out the window if he kept it on his dash. If I couldn’t find my phone anywhere in my car & crashed I’d think it flew out. Moo Just a thought..

. The car's lights were on, the keys in the ignition and the front passenger door was locked. Landry's keys, wallet, phone and other personal belongings were inside the car.
I think that source (Charley Project) has some of these details wrong. In the most recent video released by CCSO they clearly are looking at an ID from a wallet they found in the backpack in the road, not in the car. It's not clear what other personal belongings were left in the car, apart from the VFF surmising he may have been a lifeguard because of a red whistle.

What features would a 2003 Nissan Altima have had? I had a different car back then, but auto-locks weren’t necessarily standard, just power locks that still had to be manually pushed. Internet says it may have been an aftermarket feature on the Altimas. For the passenger door to be locked, it seems like the options would have been a) lock at the door itself, b) driver locks all doors with the push button key, c) the car auto-locked once in drive and JL manually unlocked the drivers door after the crash.

Were any of the backseat doors locked? I wonder if this is why the investigators think there could be a second person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest