TX TX - Lina Sardar Khil, 3, last seen on playground @ apartment complex, San Antonio, 20 Dec 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a relatively safe complex and I can tell you there is a little girl about 3 I often see outside playing alone, we do not have a playground, mom is not on the porch watching and there are few people around. I would be watching if it was my kid.... the world is still scary, even though I feel my home is safe I still wouldn't be relaxed. And in my opinion gated communities are a false sense of security as a delivery driver a few years back I never had trouble getting in to a gated community.

Not that it really matters, but it sounds like the apartment complex really doesn't have a real playground for the children. It is really odd that they evidently do for dogs! . The news media really does make it sound confusing. Both areas look to be beside each other. What matters is, a beautiful little girl is gone and needs to be found.

The apartment complex was built before 1973 via historical aerials.
I would not be surprised if it was not converted into mixed "affordable housing" several decades ago. This place is on the rundown side

I was told refugees are settled in specific government-subsidized affordable housing apartment units and according to a document the government provides the first three months of rent and then the sponsoring agency continues with assistance.

Even when families "get on their feet", they probably prefer to stay in these community apartments because
  • They are with friends in a close-knit community
  • The rent remains affordable and it is a good way to save up to eventually purchase a home
  • The housing might not be ideal by our standards, but compared to where they came from, they are fine with it.
  • Living in what appears less than ideal, is also cultural - as many Middle East cultures are "anti-debt". (My grandparents rented for 30 years or so and in a cheap company home and then purchased a home with cash. They never used credit for anything in their entire lives)

Tip Sheet: HUD-Subsidized Refugee Residency Requirements
A frequent question from resettlement agencies is: Do refugees need to have a Social Security Card to be eligible for Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-subsidized Housing? The short answer is no; however, some subsidized housing providers are not aware that there are acceptable substitutes for a Social Security Card. This fact sheet will identify alternative documentation that is acceptable, define HUD procedures for verification and submission of that documentation, and explain to which programs these guidelines apply.

Housing Information FAQ's
Reception and Placement - United States Department of State
Afghan Assistance Resources

The affordable housing shortage is hurting Afghan refugees

Last edited:
If Lina was playing with other kids, it is sad to think that another parent left with her kids, knowing a 3 yr old was there all alone when they left. I'd have waited if possible.

Makes me wonder if another parent left and took Lina with them?
Something similar happened here, two girls were outside playing and mom was passed out high, a neighbor took the girls in , fed them, took care of them, but they were still missing for a day . I think the neighbor was tired of calling childrens services and nothing being done....

It can be very hard for adults to learn a new language, even when you live in the country where that language is spoken. Especially when they’re surrounded by family or friends who speak their own language.
Chances are the dad does know some English/Spanish. But they wanted a more comprehensive interview. Not one with broken english.
Reminds me a little of Dulce Maria’s case: she too was in a play area, other people nearby, mom loses sight of her for a few minutes and poof! she’s gone.

In Dulce’s case early reports were somewhat muddled due in part to language differences even though mom was born in the US.

Early reports tend to be vague in most missing cases any way even without language barriers. Hopefully the circumstances of Lina’s disappearance will become clearer.

Or even better if this sweet little girl is found alive.

View attachment 327277. If this is the area, it appears to me it's just a community area for residents. Pavilion, play area, and soccer goal area. Seems each area is fenced off. Also, all the info for the apartments says it is gated. Is it? Is this still current info.?
It appears to be gated, with wrought iron fencing, although doing a drive by on google streetview, the gates are open at the entrances for cars to drive through.

This is an enormous complex. I would suspect whoever has her lives there, if she was indeed kidnapped.

"It remains unclear whether the child was abducted or wandered off, the police chief said, adding that police are gathering information from parents who were at the playground at the time of the child's disappearance.

According to CNN affiliate KSAT, the child's family is among the Afghanistan refugees in San Antonio. It is unclear when the family arrived in the United States, KSAT reported."

Lina Sardar Khil: Police are searching for a 3-year-old girl after she disappeared from a playground in San Antonio - CNN

This is really heartbreaking. Please do not blame her mother in any way. Lina deserved to be safe in what was her own "backyard" near other families. I hope even if she was kidnapped they find her safe today, like the little girl recently in Australia. Hoping for that miracle.
This is really heartbreaking. Please do not blame her mother in any way. Lina deserved to be safe in what was her own "backyard" near other families. I hope even if she was kidnapped they find her safe today, like the little girl recently in Australia. Hoping for that miracle.
In my opinion the culture here may be very different maybe at home the folks looked out for each other more, maybe mom had a false sense of security based on what things were like there.

266742879_284634970356953_528661580899628806_n.jpg

from the SAPD FB page. Facebook
what a doll. Where is Lina?

I live in a relatively safe complex and I can tell you there is a little girl about 3 I often see outside playing alone, we do not have a playground, mom is not on the porch watching and there are few people around. I would be watching if it was my kid.... the world is still scary, even though I feel my home is safe I still wouldn't be relaxed. And in my opinion gated communities are a false sense of security as a delivery driver a few years back I never had trouble getting in to a gated community.

It’s weird. I’ve noticed that immigrants who come here sometimes have misconceptions about how safe things are. Like traffic.Some may believe, for example, that because pedestrians have the right of way by law, unlike in countries where you’d get run down if you don’t get away, they take fro granted that they can step into a cross walk without looking. Things like that.
So sad.

In my opinion the culture here may be very different maybe at home the folks looked out for each other more, maybe mom had a false sense of security based on what things were like there.

That too. You might get hit by mortar fire or something but little kids might not be subject to abduction as much.

It looks like San Antonio PD added a language to their press release (and Twitter):

Police Seeking Information on Missing 3-year-old
I just plugged it into Google translate and it comes up as Pashto.

Wikipedia:

Pashto, sometimes spelled Pukhto or Pakhto, is an Eastern Iranian language of the Indo-European family. It is known in Persian literature as Afghani.

It appears to be gated, with wrought iron fencing, although doing a drive by on google streetview, the gates are open at the entrances for cars to drive through.

This is an enormous complex. I would suspect whoever has her lives there, if she was indeed kidnapped.
One thing I noticed is there are a lot of vacancies. It was an empty apartment that Jorely was hidden in. :eek:

agreed. where are all the press you usually see with the updates on the search through the day etc?

Makes me sad, how disparate coverage can be from case to case.
Exactly. I'd expect live reports, and some updates in regards to the status of the search. Twitter is silent in that regard.

What matters the most though is that law enforcement has thrown pretty much every resource they have at this, so no one can say they're not taking this very seriously.

I'm sure it's hard to get people to speak on camera too, especially if there's a broad language barrier.

It's still frustrating though.

Thanks for that link. Very interesting poster issued by the FBI. Two things stand out to me:
Still no DOB listed. I can't think why that could beo_O
The mention of contacting a US consulate makes me wonder if the FBI has reason to think that Lina has been taken out of the country.

I wish we had more info. Hoping this sweet little girl is okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maineguy1961