TX TX - Lina Sardar Khil, 3, last seen on playground @ apartment complex, San Antonio, 20 Dec 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm questioning the info on the missing bulletin. That they say she is 3 years old, and is 4 feet tall and weighs 55 lbs., doesn't sound feasible. If you're looking for a missing child, I think it's kinda important to have the details correct. That's my reasoning and I only speak for myself. If you think those details are logical that's okay too.
From the pictures and videos I've seen, I think she looks closer to three feet tall than four feet, but it's difficult to be sure—and I wouldn't even venture a guess on her weight.

Since we do not know why they came here, I don't think that we can assume that she is malnourished just because of her nationality. IMO.

Also, they have been here for several years.

Sadly there is apparently a good 41% chance she had stunting since that is the rate in Afghanistan. It's pretty shocking and horrific that fully 41% of children over there are so malnourished they are stunted. I'd been reading about this recently due to the political upheaval over there and was just horrified at how common malnutrition is. Right now they are looking at millions of children being on the cusp of starvation this winter. :(

"Afghanistan has one of the world’s highest rates of stunting in children under five: 41 percent.
• The rate of wasting, the extreme manifestation of severe acute malnutrition, in Afghanistan is extremely high: 9.5 per cent.
• One in three adolescent girls suffers from anaemia.
• Only half of Afghan babies are exclusively breastfed in their first six months.
• Only 12 per cent of Afghan children aged 6-24 months receive the right variety of food in the quantity needed for their age.

Afghanistan has one of the world’s highest rates of stunting in children under the age of five: 41 per cent. Stunting is a sign of chronic undernutrition during the most critical periods of growth. It prevents children from reaching their potential. Stunted children are more likely to contract diseases, less likely to get basic health care, and do not perform well in school."

Nutrition.

I'm questioning the info on the missing bulletin. That they say she is 3 years old, and is 4 feet tall and weighs 55 lbs., doesn't sound feasible. If you're looking for a missing child, I think it's kinda important to have the details correct. That's my reasoning and I only speak for myself. If you think those details are logical that's okay too.
Yes, it's confusing and unfortunate in terms of asking people to be on the lookout for Lina.

When I read members' posts about Afghan children not always having birth certificates and parents not tracking birthdays and ages I honestly thought they were insensitive saying such things about another culture.

Until I did a little online research. Apparently it's not that unusual. So apologies to my fellow WS members.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c18700-7224-11e3-bc6b-712d770c3715_story.html
Why Afghans Don’t Know Their Ages

I would hope the US did everything possible to ascertain the children's ages and verified they belong to the parents when they brought the family here but I now understand how there could be confusion.

Hopefully we'll get clearer information soon but now as we go into 5 days it's looking more and more like Lina may not be found.

I have confidence in LE, the FBI and CARD and believe all agencies are doing their best to bring this sweet child home but sadly I'm not sure we'll see a happy ending here. :( MOO.

Yes, it's confusing and unfortunate in terms of asking people to be on the lookout for Lina.

When I read members' posts about Afghan children not always having birth certificates and parents not tracking birthdays and ages I honestly thought they were insensitive saying such things about another culture.

Until I did a little online research. Apparently it's not that unusual. So apologies to my fellow WS members.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c18700-7224-11e3-bc6b-712d770c3715_story.html
Why Afghans Don’t Know Their Ages

I would hope the US did everything possible to ascertain the children's ages and verified they belong to the parents when they brought the family here but I now understand how there could be confusion.

Hopefully we'll get clearer information soon but now as we go into 5 days it's looking more and more like Lina may not be found.

I have confidence in LE, the FBI and CARD and believe all agencies are doing their best to bring this sweet child home but sadly I'm not sure we'll see a happy ending here. :( MOO.
Regardless of age, height, or weight, I think everyone knows who is missing. And what she looks like. I'm hoping for a good resolution too!!:(

The clothing doesn't match, she was last seen in a dress.
I agree, this probably wasn't taken on the day she disappeared.

People have been trying to figure out what playground they were in that day.

I don't believe we've seen this swing on any of the images and videos so far, so figured it might be useful info.

Like I said though there's no guarantee that this is the same playground she was last seen at.

I agree, this probably wasn't taken on the day she disappeared.

People have been trying to figure out what playground they were in that day.

I don't believe we've seen this swing on any of the images and videos so far, so figured it might be useful info.

Like I said though there's no guarantee that this is the same playground she was last seen at.

It is not the same playground.

Different building etc.

Easier to watch the clip on SAPD YouTube Channel

Last edited:
I don't think the safety of children in Afghanistan compared to children in the US is even comparable. Unicef identified Afghanistan as the worst place in the world for a child to be born. The horrors a child is often subjected to over there is just not comparable.

Child protection

"Half of Afghanistan’s 30 million people are under 18. They are exposed to extreme situations of violence and abuse due to ongoing fighting, displacement, a poor economy, and harmful social norms and practices. The increased number and frequency of conflict-related incidents has caused an alarming rise in child casualties.

Afghan girls face early marriage, honour killings, domestic abuse, and sexual violence. Afghan boys suffer many of the same risks, along with military recruitment into armed conflict, and sexual exploitation. Both girls and boys are exposed to hazardous labour practices, contact with landmines, and violence at home."

This is all true.

However, many immigrants to the US probably do not realize that we also have our problems. They are probably worried about other types of publicized crime here. (Robbery, getting swindled is a big concern, guns, hate crimes etc) They know American men and men in their home cultures can be "fresh" and "hit on women" etc. (aka adult women or sexually mature teens, if you know what I mean)

We just don't have many documented cases in the US of Muslim children being abducted by strangers either.

I fail to see how human rights violations in Afghanistan has anything to do with Lina being missing.

I feel like Lina's parents are being criticized for not watching her every minute and we're holding her mother to a standard than is higher than other mothers. (Compare to Mike Vaughan)

Last edited:
"Age" may not even be a part of the way they think. They might not even know their own ages.

<modsnip>
I work with afghan refugees in my home country, and they know how old they are. It’s not like they don’t have calendars or watches, most are civilised people. Sometimes they’re of by a couple of months or so, but a mother knows if she gave birth in winter, spring, summer or autumn and will put the birthdate close to that.

This is all true.

However, many immigrants to the US probably do not realize that we also have our problems. They are probably worried about other types of publicized crime here. (Robbery, getting swindled is a big concern, guns, hate crimes etc) They know American men and men in their home cultures can be "fresh" and "hit on women" etc. (aka adult women or sexually mature teens, if you know what I mean)

We just don't have many documented cases in the US of Muslim children being abducted by strangers either.

I fail to see how human rights violations in Afghanistan has anything to do with Lina being missing.

I feel like Lina's parents are being criticized for not watching her every minute and we're holding her mother to a standard than is higher than other mothers. (Compare to Mike Vaughan)
In my opinion I don't think we're holding her accountable to a standard any different than most mothers except for the difference in what their normal always was until they came to the US. It's not a comparison to Mike's mother because she was at work when he disappeared. A current situation that this is most like would be Summer Wells in my opinion but there are very different situations at play and the opposite of environments - very rural compared to a city. In my opinion anyway.

This post prompted me to attempt to look into the current research regarding what causes pedophilia. From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any consensus at all. It would be hard to prevent something if you can't figure out what's causing it. For now, we may have to settle for catching the offenders.
When we find them, we need to keep them locked up.

The murder of Cherish Perrywinkle, for instance, was totally preventable. Her killer was known to local LE as a sexual predator of children—yet he was out on the street.

It is very difficult to figure out how to prevent something when you don't understand how it develops. Complicating the issue, I think, is that when it comes to these offenders, you have both "true" pedophiles (who actually have a disordered attraction to children) and then you have the "opportunistic" pedophiles (who are looking to sexually victimize people, often females, but have figured out that children are "easy" targets because their small size makes them easier to control/conceal/dispose of). MOO

So there are multiple, entwined, sexually-motivated pathways for offenders involved in this type of crime against children, in my opinion. This makes LE's job very difficult when investigating because if they have very few leads they need to figure out - do they focus on this local guy who has been trading for child sex abuse images on the internet? Or do they need to be looking at a guy who drives by there every night on his way home from work, who has had triggering life events lately and is looking to assert his power/anger on any female victim - but who impulsively and opportunistically realized that an unattended child is the easiest target of all?

Having said this, speaking generally, I believe that the younger the victim, the more likely LE is to be dealing with someone with a true pedophilic motivation. However - not always.

when it comes to these offenders, you have both "true" pedophiles (who actually have a disordered attraction to children) and then you have the "opportunistic" pedophiles (who are looking to sexually victimize people, often females, but have figured out that children are "easy" targets...

Having said this, speaking generally, I believe that the younger the victim, the more likely LE is to be dealing with someone with a true pedophilic motivation. However - not always.

Good insights that are also clearly expressed- which make a winning combination.

One of your stated possible exceptions to the younger victim suggests true pedophile concept could be when the perpetrator is also younger.

It might be a good idea to compile a list of all male youths of high school age in the apartment complex. High school age youth could have access to cars to move a victim with (horrible thought). The managers would have a list and discrete inquiries could be made regarding the presence of uhmm... "temporary guests" that are not on leases.

Once that list is compiled, go to the local area high schools and see which, if any, of the youths have track record of sexual based female victimization (even if only attempted) or a track record of aggression towards vulnerable people in general.

Set the initial bar high in regards to a documented track record. Then lower it if needed to include youths noted by the staff as not having a proven track record, but have a certain reputation and / or simply give the staff bad vibes regarding inherent aggression.

Wondering if the family walked to nearby places, like libraries or markets, where they may have been followed. if this is someone from outside the complex but in the area.

Certainly could be. I have the feeling, though, that very, very often in these abduction cases the perpetrator is someone who has a legitimate reason for being around the abduction site (resident, maintenance, delivery, etc). This type of offender doesn't have to be the most intelligent or have the best-planned crime to be successful. They are often alert to spur of the moment opportunities and these crimes frequently have a level of impulsivity to them. I agree with @Cryptic that the offender in this case could very well be a teen if this ends up being an abduction/murder.

Certainly could be. I have the feeling, though, that very, very often in these abduction cases the perpetrator is someone who has a legitimate reason for being around the abduction site (resident, maintenance, delivery, etc). This type of offender doesn't have to be the most intelligent or have the best-planned crime to be successful. They are often alert to spur of the moment opportunities and these crimes frequently have a level of impulsivity to them. I agree with @Cryptic that the offender in this case could very well be a teen if this ends up being an abduction/murder.
Why do you think it could be a teen? I can't think of one case where the perp was a teenager, but it's an interesting thought.

I wonder what they were talking about... what was taken?

This little conversation is ... haunting. It must be incredibly difficult for Lina's parents to go through pictures and videos of their daughter.

I do wonder about the first picture we saw of Lina, wearing a red outfit. When was that picture taken? How recent was it?

As far as age, weight, and height, perhaps if she's had a recent visit with a doctor, those details could be updated soon.

<moo>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members