Found Safe TX - Michelle Reynolds - 6th Grade Reading and Language Arts Teacher - Missing Since 22 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for sharing.

The article also notes that Michelle told the daughter she was going to the bank, along with getting something to eat. I haven't seen any reports from family / LE if they confirmed she actually went to a bank and any transactions she may have had. I assume not, since there would be surveillance available.

I also wonder, for those more familiar with individuals in a fugue or mental episode, and I understand there are varying degrees...would an individual in a city where they don't live or know anyone, have the where with all to check-in to a hotel, go to restaurants, etc.?
You're welcome. :)

Good catch about her going to the bank. I had not heard that mentioned before either and somehow missed it in this article.

About a psych "episode," if it was mania, I think it just depends on how far it went because it exists on a spectrum. For ex., mild mania can make actually someone more engaging and fun and their senses sharper. A bit "higher" and they might seem a little hyped up and have speeding thoughts, engage in more risky behavior and such where they may or may not come across as "normal" but could still function, for example drive without getting pulled over, go out to dinner and check into a hotel. But if they get too manic, they can have a complete break with reality and their erratic behavior would be very obvious to those around them.

Another kind of mental issue would be someone being delusional, where perhaps they could function just fine but they might still have very incorrect ideas that they operated under. An example would be someone thinking the FBI was after them when there was no indication of it or reason for it, and behaving accordingly. Or thinking they were married to someone who didn't even know them, for example. Etcetera.

So my best answer about if someone could function or not under a mental issue would just be "maybe."

Last edited:
Re the poor quality of the surveillance video, I think sometimes they can make the footage appear lighter and more clear but I don't know how much it can be improved or how long it would take LE to get it done. I think they can also pretty accurately estimate the height of someone in real life based on a video, with the right technology. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about it?
You determine the height of a known object, in this case the vehicle, and use that to determine the height of the person. The individual in the video is very close to the car, so it would be fairly straightforward. If the person is further away from the known object, you would use mathematics equations to figure it out. I’m sure there are computer programs wherein you just have to put in the height of the known object and the distance and angle of the individual and it does the work for you.
You see this in use in those tv shows when they are looking for Bigfoot. They use films taken by people who are certain they have seen a Sasquatch and determine the size of the being they recorded using a similar formula.

There are quite a few psychiatric inpatient facilities in a 2-3 mile radius of where she parked her car. Her presence at one of them isn't information that is required to be reported to authorities. In fact, it may be illegal/unethical to do so without her written consent. If she is in a fugue state, neither identification confirmation nor competence could be ascertained...

JMO.
Now this is interesting. I wonder what would happen if she was picked up and admitted to a psychiatric facility. How her being listed as a missing person by LE works with the HIPAA laws. By common sense, I'd think the hospital would let LE know and I'd assume someone there has figured out who she is by now. But then again, I don't think there's anything against the law about going "missing" so maybe reporting it would be a violation of her rights. ???

Last edited:
You determine the height of a known object, in this case the vehicle, and use that to determine the height of the person. The individual in the video is very close to the car, so it would be fairly straightforward. If the person is further away from the known object, you would use mathematics equations to figure it out. I’m sure there are computer programs wherein you just have to put in the height of the known object and the distance and angle of the individual and it does the work for you.
You see this in use in those tv shows when they are looking for Bigfoot. They use films taken by people who are certain they have seen a Sasquatch and determine the size of the being they recorded using a similar formula.
Thank you.

Especially when she is tall for a woman (5'10") it seems they'd be able to get a good idea of this right away.

Last edited:
Now this is interesting. I wonder what would happen if she was picked up and admitted to a psychiatric facility. How her being listed as a missing person by LE works with the HIPAA laws. By common sense, I'd think the hospital would let LE know and I'd assume someone there has figured out who she is by now. But then again, I don't think there's anything against the law about going "missing" so maybe reporting it would be a violation of her rights. ???
HIPAA permits disclosure upon request by law enforcement. There are some LE agencies who even include a statement to that effect on their missing person's flyers. MOO

45 CFR § 164.512 - Uses and disclosures for which an authorization or opportunity to agree or object is not required. | CFR | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

ETA example:

HIPAA permits disclosure upon request by law enforcement. There are some LE agencies who even include a statement to that effect on their missing person's flyers. MOO

45 CFR § 164.512 - Uses and disclosures for which an authorization or opportunity to agree or object is not required. | CFR | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)
Can you point to the section that says that? I skimmed it but it's a lot.

Nevermind, I see it on the flyer you just posted. Thanks.

Can you point to the section that says that? I skimmed it but it's a lot.

(2) Permitted disclosures: Limited information for identification and location purposes. Except for disclosures required by law as permitted by paragraph (f)(1) of this section, a covered entity may disclose protected health information in response to a law enforcement official's request for such information for the purpose of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person, provided that:

(i) The covered entity may disclose only the following information:

(A) Name and address;

(B) Date and place of birth;

(C) Social security number;

(D) ABO blood type and rh factor;

(E) Type of injury;

(F) Date and time of treatment;

(G) Date and time of death, if applicable; and

(H) A description of distinguishing physical characteristics, including height, weight, gender, race, hair and eye color, presence or absence of facial hair (beard or moustache), scars, and tattoos.

(ii) Except as permitted by paragraph (f)(2)(i) of this section, the covered entity may not disclose for the purposes of identification or location under paragraph (f)(2) of this section any protected health information related to the individual's DNA or DNA analysis, dental records, or typing, samples or analysis of body fluids or tissue.

(3) Permitted disclosure: Victims of a crime. Except for disclosures required by law as permitted by paragraph (f)(1) of this section, a covered entity may disclose protected health information in response to a law enforcement official's request for such information about an individual who is or is suspected to be a victim of a crime, other than disclosures that are subject to paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, if:

(i) The individual agrees to the disclosure; or

(ii) The covered entity is unable to obtain the individual's agreement because of incapacity or other emergency circumstance, provided that:

(A) The law enforcement official represents that such information is needed to determine whether a violation of law by a person other than the victim has occurred, and such information is not intended to be used against the victim;

(B) The law enforcement official represents that immediate law enforcement activity that depends upon the disclosure would be materially and adversely affected by waiting until the individual is able to agree to the disclosure; and

(C) The disclosure is in the best interests of the individual as determined by the covered entity, in the exercise of professional judgment.

(4) Permitted disclosure: Decedents. A covered entity may disclose protected health information about an individual who has died to a law enforcement official for the purpose of alerting law enforcement of the death of the individual if the covered entity has a suspicion that such death may have resulted from criminal conduct.

(5) Permitted disclosure: Crime on premises. A covered entity may disclose to a law enforcement official protected health information that the covered entity believes in good faith constitutes evidence of criminal conduct that occurred on the premises of the covered entity.

(6) Permitted disclosure: Reporting crime in emergencies.

(i) A covered health care provider providing emergency health care in response to a medical emergency, other than such emergency on the premises of the covered health care provider, may disclose protected health information to a law enforcement official if such disclosure appears necessary to alert law enforcement to:

(A) The commission and nature of a crime;

(B) The location of such crime or of the victim(s) of such crime; and

(C) The identity, description, and location of the perpetrator of such crime.

(ii) If a covered health care provider believes that the medical emergency described in paragraph (f)(6)(i) of this section is the result of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence of the individual in need of emergency health care, paragraph (f)(6)(i) of this section does not apply and any disclosure to a law enforcement official for law enforcement purposes is subject to paragraph (c) of this section.

I also wonder along these lines...it was reported that she had a "counseling" session that morning prior to her disappearance. If she were to share something in that session; ie. I'm thinking about "taking off," or "I feel like I'm on the verge of having some mental episode," etc...I assume that would remain patient / doctor confidentiality...unless there was some prior agreement that information could be shared with the husband? family? Would there be any obligation to share with LE?

HIPAA permits it but it is rarely done by providers. Most ethics codes discourage it, as do most licensing boards. And hospitals don't like providers doing it due to potential legal liability issues.

JMO.

I also wonder along these lines...it was reported that she had a "counseling" session that morning prior to her disappearance. If she were to share something in that session; ie. I'm thinking about "taking off," or "I feel like I'm on the verge of having some mental episode," etc...I assume that would remain patient / doctor confidentiality...unless there was some prior agreement that information could be shared with the husband? family? Would there be any obligation to share with LE?

This is a judgment call on the therapist's part. If he or she feels the patient's statement implies imminent danger to self, then disclosure via the proper channels would be warranted (and required). It is unlikely that a spouse would be one of those proper channels, unless a current authorization release was on file and a request for that information was made by him or her.

JMO.

100% speculation, during her counseling session, it may have been determined that she should be admitted to hospital for further treatment. If she refused, she could have been told she was going to be admitted involuntarily on a “5150”, 72 hour hold. She may have panicked and fled.

All speculation!

Amateur opinion and speculation

100% speculation, during her counseling session, it may have been determined that she should be admitted to hospital for further treatment. If she refused, she could have been told she was going to be admitted involuntarily on a “5150”, 72 hour hold. She may have panicked and fled.

All speculation!

Excellent theory!

All speculation!

My hesitation with this is, wouldn't that be almost certainly reported by the counselor, or would that be covered under HIPAA laws?

My hesitation with this is, wouldn't that be almost certainly reported by the counselor, or would that be covered under HIPAA laws?
Counselor would have had to inform LE, who might have been needed to restrain her until medical transportation could take over. I think the HIPPA would apply to LE not specially disclosing the nature of her hospitalization. That’s just a guess.

Counselor would have had to inform LE, who might have been needed to restrain her until medical transportation could take over. I think the HIPPA would apply to LE not specially disclosing the nature of her hospitalization. That’s just a guess.

It doesn't appear for now that the conversation with her therapist disclosed any obvious and imminently dangerous issues, because it was her husband who ultimately contacted LE. If the therapist contacted LE, they would've initiated the visit to the home rather than being summoned by the husband (and probably in time to coordinate a sweeping effort to locate her before she got to her destination).

I imagine the therapist is racking his or her brain over this and replaying lots and lots of interactions and hypotheticals. Not a good place to be I'm sure. "What if I didn't ask the right question there?" or "What if I would've followed up on this comment?" - Ugh. Has to haunt. :(

JMO.

It appears there are numerous live traffic cameras in New Orleans. This one is close to the location she parked her car. She could possibly be walking the streets close to here if someone wanted to watch these cameras. I kn ow it's a long shot, but surely they could be scanned for her possible location.

It appears there are numerous live traffic cameras in New Orleans. This one is close to the location she parked her car. She could possibly be walking the streets close to here if someone wanted to watch these cameras. I kn ow it's a long shot, but surely they could be scanned for her possible location.
I'm not sure that's actually live? The date and timestamp aren't correct.

I didn't see anything saying she was mentally unstable. Even if she was why did she plan to run off like this wouldn't her husband notice her being strange? Has this happened before? Her just running off probably has happened in the past if she's an unstable person. wish the family would say something so if anyone sees her they can aproch or not approch her properly

Her husband talked about her years-long mental health struggles in this article posted earlier on the thread. You must have missed it. He is well aware that she had stopped taking her meds recently, but said she has never disappeared before. It is unlikely she “planned” to run off. That’s not how mental health issues work, as explained previously. Since she has never disappeared before, her husband is unlikely to have any advice about approaching her properly. It would be best to let LE with training be the ones to approach Michelle if she is seen IMO.

Her husband told WDSU News, Michelle was last seen on Sept. 22, after leaving their Texas home to make a store run.

He believes Michelle could be facing a mental health crisis and claims days before she went missing, she stopped taking her medication.

"She has never had an episode where she disappeared," husband Michael Reynolds said. "We've had bouts of mental health issued before but we've been working through this for 10, 12, 14 years, but never to this extent."

"Just please be on the lookout," Reynolds said. "We want to bring Michelle home where she is loved by me and our family. We have three kids and we really need her to be home."
BBM

Updating TIMELINE with new info in RED and corrected info in GRAY

- moved from Natchitoches, LA to Orange, TX for a teaching job (9)

- marriage to husband (9)

AROUND 2014
- couple began teaching in Alvin - both 6th grade teachers at different schools (9)

AROUND 2015
- began struggling with mental health (9)

AROUND SEP 1
- "had been undergoing outpatient treatment for about three weeks after a recent episode, having been on leave from her job as a teacher during that time. She had been taking nightly medications" (8.)

THU SEP 22 - LAST CONTACT WITH FAMILY -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- AM - [Zoom meeting with counselor (8.)] visited a counselor in person, then came home (9)
- 12p - [spoke to husband,] said she was going to get something to eat (last contact with family)] (7) told daughter she was going to get food and stop at the bank; when daughter returned home from school, called dad at work to see if he knew where she was; he started calling MR but calls went directly to voicemail (9)
- PM - reported missing by husband to local LE (Brazos County Sheriff's Department) (9)

FRI SEP 23
- 12:01 PM - Vehicle parked at corner of St. Peter & St. Joseph St, New Orleans (4); person who may look like MR sits in car for about twenty minutes, then gets out (9) and leaves alone on foot (5) heading west (6) - husband notes potential height discrepancy between his wife and the driver in the video (8.)
- PM - Lexus "pinged" car in New Orleans; upon LE arrival, vehicle was no longer there (1)

SAT SEP 24
- PM - Vehicle located in New Orleans by husband and brother by geo-location. (2) - see Sun Sep 25

SUN SEP 25
- 3AM - Vehicle located in New Orleans by husband and brother by geo-location (9)
- First MSM news coverage (3)

MON SEP 26

TUE SEP 27
- Footage released of MR leaving vehicle alone on foot (5)
- Helicopter search on Mississippi River (8.)

WED SEP 28
- Boat search planned for Mississippi River (8.)

SOURCES
(1)Search for missing Alvin ISD teacher continues after car found in New Orleans
(2)'Really tough time' | Husband of missing Alvin woman says children are struggling with news
(3)Alvin ISD teacher still missing after car found in New Orleans, sheriff's office says
(4)Missing Texas teacher's car found in New Orleans as search continues
(5)HAVE YOU SEEN MICHELLE REYNOLDS?: Search continues for missing Alvin ISD teacher last seen on Thursday
(6)Missing TX teacher's car found in New Orleans; husband desperately in search of answers exclusively speaks to WDSU
(7)A Search Is Underway for a Texas Teacher Whose Car Was Found Out of State
(8.)Alvin teacher Michelle Reynolds still missing; New Orleans police now involved in case | Houston Public Media
(9)Family desperate for clues in Texas woman Michelle Reynold's disappearance

MY NOTES / OBSERVANCES:

1. It bothers me that, although the vehicle was parked at the current location at 12 noon on Friday, when Lexus pinged it that evening, New Orleans LE claimed it was not there. Was the ping inaccurate? Were they not looking in the right location?

2. Since so many times, in the cases of missing women, it ends up being the husband or boyfriend, I'm very glad to hear that MR's husband has a solid alibi AND that he's the one speaking out about potential discrepancies in the video and NOT just accepting that the person driving the vehicle was for sure MR. Someone else driving her vehicle points to foul play, so the fact that he's not willing to rule that out tells me that he's got nothing to hide.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257
Back