TX - Scott Buchholtz-Sanchez, 3 wks, decapitated, San Antonio, July 2009 *Insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the family, she HAD been diagnosed recently with PPP. Of course, it's all going to come out in court at some point, and we'll have to wait until the medical reports have been reviewed to know for sure.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...ther_diagnosed_with_depression_psychosis.html

The DA's office is adamant that she will be prosecuted for capital murder. The test is going to be whether she knew "right from wrong". The answer to that question will determine the charges and the penalty that is sought by the DA. Having a mental illness, even PPP, does not necessarily preclude someone from knowing that their actions are wrong.

As hard as it is for me to hear this story, I can't yet make up my mind on the mom and how I feel about what her future should hold. Knowing what happened to this little one is so devastating, and yet, the reasonable side of me knows how mental illness can play a role in such a tragedy.

Thanks, Barb. I see now that I missed the definitive (according to the family) PPP diagnosis!

I would like to know if the mom had the capacity to understand the diagnosis, and if she chose to ignore the danger.

I'm going to need to go back and re-read some of the links to flesh out my understanding. I think it would be hard to diagnose PPP on top of schizophrenia (very similar symptoms, if you will). There's still so much we don't know.

Regarding ignoring the diagnosis - again, not enough info. I know lots of people choose to go off meds that are being used to control their mental illnesses (schizophrenics are famous for this) because they hate the way the meds make them feel.

Somehow I don't think anyone knows the level of danger if PPP was diagnosed. It may never have been fully explained to the family.

SCM,
I have 3 friends that hear voices. Only one has tried medication, and as usual, quit it because it "dulled" him too much. All 3 self medicate with alcohol and 2 add other drugs in the mix. (Depression is obvious in all 3 also.) It just makes things worse. So, getting someone to even start meds is difficult enough, however, you are correct, they almost always stop taking them.

Somehow I don't think anyone knows the level of danger if PPP was diagnosed. It may never have been fully explained to the family.

SCM,
I have 3 friends that hear voices. Only one has tried medication, and as usual, quit it because it "dulled" him too much. All 3 self medicate with alcohol and 2 add other drugs in the mix. (Depression is obvious in all 3 also.) It just makes things worse. So, getting someone to even start meds is difficult enough, however, you are correct, they almost always stop taking them.

I was very close for a year or two (several years ago) with two schizophrenic women and a woman with schizo affective disorder. The 3 also used and abused drugs/alcohol, so very very common for those with mental illness.

And you are so correct about the medication issue - they were always and forever stopping what they were supposed to take (the side effects of some of the meds were fearsome and, as you say, they also hated feeling all doped out and dulled). Two of these women had auditory hallucinations and one of them had terrible visual hallucinations.

I don't think that anyone with hardcore experience treating schizophrenics would ever say that it's an easy illness to manage. My compassion for sufferers of schizophrenia is enormous.

She definitely can't be 21 if she graduated from high school in 1996 as it says. She hasn't logged into it for over a year.

Yes. She'd be around 30 or 31, unless she was an advanced student. Media says she's 33.

ETA: Wait - she hasn't logged in in a year? Why does the URL have the word "scottyr1" in it?

Yes. She'd be around 30 or 31, unless she was an advanced student. Media says she's 33.

ETA: Wait - she hasn't logged in in a year? Why does the URL have the word "scottyr1" in it?

The baby's father is named Scott. That might be the reason. I think the age would fit if she graduated in l996 but why would she put the date of graduation from high school as 1996 and then put her age as 21? I agree this may be her page.

The baby's father is named Scott. That might be the reason. I think the age would fit if she graduated in l996 but why would she put the date of graduation from high school as 1996 and then put her age as 21? I agree this may be her page.

Ah - I missed her bf's name, I guess. I just saw "scottyr1" and assumed it meant "baby scott's first year." And, yes - she should have realized people could do the math on the high school grad.

And, yes, also - I do think this is her's. (I hope so, or someone is getting a lot of really angry comments by mistake, which would be pretty awful for them.)

Ah - I missed her bf's name, I guess. I just saw "scottyr1" and assumed it meant "baby scott's first year." And, yes - she should have realized people could do the math on the high school grad.

And, yes, also - I do think this is her's. (I hope so, or someone is getting a lot of really angry comments by mistake, which would be pretty awful for them.)

Anyone who would leave angry messages on the myspace page of a mentally ill woman that they do not know has issues for which THEY may wish to seek psychiatric attention.

The mother has history of being in psyche ward, her aunt says. I think her mental problems are way beyond and predate her pregnancy and the birth of this child.

WARNING: LINK CONTAINS VERY DISTURBING DETAILS
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j65NeeVH5ihfMyvu7qiBZWQBV-kgD99MV4U80
-------------------
If the woman had a history of being in psych wards and it was well known that she had mental problems, why on earth did the OB Physician allow her to take the baby home from the hospital after delivery? Doesn't the physician have any legal responsibility to make sure that this newborn would not be placed in such danger? This is just incredible. An insane woman in and out of hospitals with mental problems, one visit just prior to the infants murder, even. At the last hospital visit she wrote out a letter deciding who was to have custody of the child? And this insane woman (I can't bring myself to call her a mother) was allowed to keep a newborn? Shocking. Why wasn't Child services called when this woman was last in the hospital due to mental problems? Why wasn't this child placed into protective custody? Someone really dropped the ball here. She told the father of the baby that he was not going to raise the baby after they separated. Well, I guess she was correct, the father is NOT going to raise the baby.:furious:

I agree. I'm no expert but IMO, this goes waaaaaaaaay beyond PPD or PPP. The worst thing they can do to her is normalize her with meds enough for her to know - and live with - what she's done for the rest of her life.

I'm sorry, but I do believe the family members with whom she was living bear some responsibility here. They had to have known she was not right in the head. She didn't just snap to this degree in one day FGS!
------------
Surely her mental health issues were communicated to the OB overseeing her care during the pregnancy? If so, why were measures taken to ensure the safety of this baby? I'm assuming that her OB is the physician who diagnosed the PPD. This baby's life was put in extreme danger. There appears to be negligence all the way around. The woman for allowing herself to get pregnant to begin with, knowing that she had severe mental problems, her family for not protecting the baby and knowingly letting her be alone with the baby and the medical professionals who were aware of this woman's problems and the danger that this baby was in and deciding to do nothing.

My father was a paranoid schizophrenic who suffered from auditory hallucinations. His worst psychotic break came one day when he broke a heavy beer mug in the kitchen sink and attacked my step-mother from behind, stabbing at her face with the bottom of that broken mug. He was trying to gouge out her eyes because he had been told to do so by the voices in his head. Fortunately for my dear step-mother, the first slash of the mug against her face severed the nerves so she felt no pain while he exacted his carnage. She ended up having over 750 stitches in her face and underwent multiple surgeries. My father then went to the basement, ratcheted up the temperature on the hot water heater, and then proceeded to the bathroom where he was trying to scrub the "filth of her blood" from his hands. He ended up burning his hands almost to the bone.

She never blamed my father for his actions. She knew that he was sick. The whole family knew, and we had made numerous futile attempts to have him committed. Unfortunately, because of the laws in the state where this occurred, they refused to admit him until he had either harmed himself or someone else. After the attack on my step-mother, he spent the next 15 years in and out of the state hospital before finally committing suicide by diving head first out of a 3rd story window onto a concrete driveway.

I am only too aware of how this and other mental illnesses not only affects a family (my sister was an undiagnosed/untreated schizophrenic who also committed suicide), but I also am painfully aware of how it is perceived by the general public.

I am horrified by what this woman did to this little baby--just as I was horrified by what my own father did to my step-mother--but she should not be held responsible for her actions during a psychotic break from reality.

I am deeply disturbed by the comments that state that this woman should be put to death. Mental illness is just like any other illness--it needs to be treated with medication. Would those of you who think she should be put to death also put to death someone who has cancer, or liver disease, or even something such as heart disease? Each of these diseases is cause by a defect in the human body--as is mental illness.

If the answer to that question, is "no," then how can you make such a distinction between mental illness and any other type of illness?

What would you do if one of your famly members suffered from mental illness? Put them to death?

My father was a paranoid schizophrenic who suffered from auditory hallucinations. His worst psychotic break came one day when he broke a heavy beer mug in the kitchen sink and attacked my step-mother from behind, stabbing at her face with the bottom of that broken mug. He was trying to gouge out her eyes because he had been told to do so by the voices in his head. Fortunately for my dear step-mother, the first slash of the mug against her face severed the nerves so she felt no pain while he exacted his carnage. She ended up having over 750 stitches in her face and underwent multiple surgeries. My father then went to the basement, ratcheted up the temperature on the hot water heater, and then proceeded to the bathroom where he was trying to scrub the "filth of her blood" from his hands. He ended up burning his hands almost to the bone.

She never blamed my father for his actions. She knew that he was sick. The whole family knew, and we had made numerous futile attempts to have him committed. Unfortunately, because of the laws in the state where this occurred, they refused to admit him until he had either harmed himself or someone else. After the attack on my step-mother, he spent the next 15 years in and out of the state hospital before finally committing suicide by diving head first out of a 3rd story window onto a concrete driveway.

I am only too aware of how this and other mental illnesses not only affects a family (my sister was an undiagnosed/untreated schizophrenic who also committed suicide), but I also am painfully aware of how it is perceived by the general public.

I am horrified by what this woman did to this little baby--just as I was horrified by what my own father did to my step-mother--but she should not be held responsible for her actions during a psychotic break from reality.

I am deeply disturbed by the comments that state that this woman should be put to death. Mental illness is just like any other illness--it needs to be treated with medication. Would those of you who think she should be put to death also put to death someone who has cancer, or liver disease, or even something such as heart disease? Each of these diseases is cause by a defect in the human body--as is mental illness.

If the answer to that question, is "no," then how can you make such a distinction between mental illness and any other type of illness?

What would you do if one of your famly members suffered from mental illness? Put them to death?

Cleo,

Thank you so much for sharing some of your path with mental illness on this thread. I am sorry for the pain I know it cost you to live with a parent who was so very ill. I appreciate your courage and compassion more than I can say.

love,

South

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734