Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aspirating, if thats the case can often go unnoticed or misconstrued if it isn't severe. Sometimes it takes getting pneumonia a few times before a swallow test is even considered.

I can attest to this with my son, well sorta. My son from five until seven was sick constantly, at first we thought it was just starting school and never having been in a setting like that with all those germs coming at him, we thought his immune system was just adjusting/building. However, it got to a point where it was just not normal, there was something wrong and I knew it. He had pneumonia for a second time in 6 months and his lung CT was not good. When they hospitalized my son they finally ordered a swallow test and kept saying maybe he was aspirating but I was adamant that he was not because I thought surely I would notice that! It turns out he wasn't aspirating, but in the course of all this I had many drs tell me that it can go unnoticed and or thought to be something else. Children may not literally choke or cough but just be eating, not paying attention and not chewing/swallowing properly. I also learned, and this is OT, sorry, but if you think something is wrong and they are not listening you must make them listen. It took me 2.5 years for my son to finally be diagnosed with hypogammaglobulinemia, an immune disorder that will require he receive IVIG infusions every four weeks for life.

"The head of the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) said Wednesday that India will derecognise US adoption agency Holt International if it finds any lapses in its follow-up reports on three-year-old Sherin Mathews, who was found dead in mysterious circumstances in Texas."

Holt International is an authorised foreign adoption agency (AFAA), which carried out the mandatory pre-adoption home study and the post-adoption follow-ups in the case of the girl, who was adopted from Gaya, Bihar.

“We had received positive recommendations (about the family), which is why we allowed the adoption in the first place,” CARA CEO Deepak Kumar told ThePrint.

https://theprint.in/2017/10/25/us-adoption-agency-punished-sherin-mathews-death/

Did they live in Texas during this time? If they did it had to be a different agency that did the actual pre-adoption home study since Holt does not do home studies in Texas. People can adopt through one agency but if they don't have offices in that person's area the family has to use a different agency for the home study. The home study would then be passed on to Holt. Any follow up visits would also be conducted by the other agency.http://www.holtinternational.org/adoption/homestudyservices.php

Did they live in Texas during this time? If they did it had to be a different agency that did the actual pre-adoption home study since Holt does not do home studies in Texas. People can adopt through one agency but if they don't have offices in that person's area the family has to use a different agency for the home study. The home study would then be passed on to Holt. Any follow up visits would also be conducted by the other agency.http://www.holtinternational.org/adoption/homestudyservices.php

Perhaps this is the reasoning for the contact with CPS previously. They may have been monitoring the adoption on behalf of the agency. In my small town our adoptions tend to be overseen by CPS as basically a third party for the agency, unless they ARE the agency, which does happen even with newborns and planned adoptions.

This story is incredibly sad. Reminds me somewhat of Caylee Anthony and a family not cooperating with police. I understand the mom is now considered a victim. But if I am correct we are allowed to pick apart the story told by WM.
Isnt it possible he is covering for another family member? Isn't it possible he decided to shoulder all the blame so that the mom could raise the biological daughter? It seems no one was invested in Sherin. If there was any love in that home for Sherin, wouldn't both parents be talking and cooperating with police? Or is It possible their only love was for one another and their biological daughter? Even if Sherin was a stranger in my home and she died, or worse murdered, I would be screaming to 911 and the panic I felt would make me talk to anyone who would hear me! But this precious little child was discarded like a piece of trash. It appears the only victim left is the four year old biological daughter. But if I am wrong, why are they not telling the whole truth to the police? Just doesn't make sense. I pray the mom Opens up to the police.

I saw that article. That's a pretty big IF contained therein.

Holt has been around in international adoption for a very long time and has a pretty go rep.

But the reality is that the real life actual people who carry out home studies are not psychic. Having been through several myself, they can range from intrusively thorough to perfunctory. And I don't know that either could absolutely and in every case identify potential abusers or even bad parents. One such study, conducted by the local CPS was conducted by a couple of jaded social workers (it was called a "group home study" meaning a class that seemed to be designed to scare off anyone who might not be "ready" for one of "their" kids) whose prior work experience removing kids from families seemed to have convinced them that all of us were either too naive or too evil to be proper parents. I wish I could believe that the huge application packet, and the physical exam and the credit check and the VD test and the walk through my house from attic to basement and the interview with my other child was truly helpful to them (and as a single person I got off without having to discuss my relationship with a spouse or my sex life). End of the day, the one county in my state that was able to get the rate of adoption disruptions (that's what they call it when the adoption gets cancelled out for some reason) down to zero was the one that put enormous effort into the other side--follow up and support for families after adoption. Which suggests to me that maybe, while home study agencies cannot accurately predict which families will be trouble, perhaps bad things can be prevented anyway.

IMO.

What I took from that WAS- follow up reports.

IF there was CPS visits or issues (which we know there was) not reported in follow ups, it sounds like that is a problem. But, I dont have any adopted kids. <modsnip>

"The head of the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) said Wednesday that India will derecognise US adoption agency Holt International if it finds any lapses in its follow-up reports on three-year-old Sherin Mathews, who was found dead in mysterious circumstances in Texas."

International is an authorised foreign adoption agency (AFAA), which carried out the mandatory pre-adoption home study and the post-adoption follow-ups in the case of the girl, who was adopted from Gaya, Bihar.

“We had received positive recommendations (about the family), which is why we allowed the adoption in the first place,” CARA CEO Deepak Kumar told ThePrint.

https://theprint.in/2017/10/25/us-adoption-agency-punished-sherin-mathews-death/

JMO, I think it is entirely possible for prospective adoptive parents to get good recommendations even when those recommendations are not deserved. Some people have a private life that is nothing like their public life. Sadly, there are lots of deceitful people in this world. Remember the old saying "All that glitters is not gold".

This story is incredibly sad. Reminds me somewhat of Caylee Anthony and a family not cooperating with police. I understand the mom is now considered a victim. But if I am correct we are allowed to pick apart the story told by WM.
Isnt it possible he is covering for another family member? Isn't it possible he decided to shoulder all the blame so that the mom could raise the biological daughter? It seems no one was invested in Sherin. If there was any love in that home for Sherin, wouldn't both parents be talking and cooperating with police? Or is It possible their only love was for one another and their biological daughter? Even if Sherin was a stranger in my home and she died, or worse murdered, I would be screaming to 911 and the panic I felt would make me talk to anyone who would hear me! But this precious little child was discarded like a piece of trash. It appears the only victim left is the four year old biological daughter. But if I am wrong, why are they not telling the whole truth to the police? Just doesn't make sense. I pray the mom Opens up to the police.

Were you allowed to Sleuth CASEY back in the day???? OH That would of been hard not to..

Were you allowed to Sleuth CASEY back in the day???? OH That would of been hard not to..

I didn't even know of WS during the Anthony trial. Good thing. I would have been slapped hard by the WS Administrators. I am not sleuthing anyone. Just scratching my head at the depravity of human beings. JMO.

I saw that article. That's a pretty big IF contained therein.

Holt has been around in international adoption for a very long time and has a pretty go rep.

But the reality is that the real life actual people who carry out home studies are not psychic. Having been through several myself, they can range from intrusively thorough to perfunctory. And I don't know that either could absolutely and in every case identify potential abusers or even bad parents. One such study, conducted by the local CPS was conducted by a couple of jaded social workers (it was called a "group home study" meaning a class that seemed to be designed to scare off anyone who might not be "ready" for one of "their" kids) whose prior work experience removing kids from families seemed to have convinced them that all of us were either too naive or too evil to be proper parents. I wish I could believe that the huge application packet, and the physical exam and the credit check and the VD test and the walk through my house from attic to basement and the interview with my other child was truly helpful to them (and as a single person I got off without having to discuss my relationship with a spouse or my sex life). End of the day, the one county in my state that was able to get the rate of adoption disruptions (that's what they call it when the adoption gets cancelled out for some reason) down to zero was the one that put enormous effort into the other side--follow up and support for families after adoption. Which suggests to me that maybe, while home study agencies cannot accurately predict which families will be trouble, perhaps bad things can be prevented anyway.

IMO.
I agree with what you said! There are so many things that rest on the people actually doing their jobs. I've seen it both ways. Holt is huge and has a good reputation (you never know though I guess) and I don't think they have had any issues with COLA . If there even is an issue found I am thinking it may be because another agency did the home study since Holt doesn't conduct them in Texas. PS: We suffered unfortunately had to through the "talk" lol.

Perhaps this is the reasoning for the contact with CPS previously. They may have been monitoring the adoption on behalf of the agency. In my small town our adoptions tend to be overseen by CPS as basically a third party for the agency, unless they ARE the agency, which does happen even with newborns and planned adoptions.

Thats a possibility.

RICHARDSON – Sherin Mathews’ breathing slowed and her pulse stopped, but in the account that her father gave police, he never woke his wife, a registered nurse who works at Dallas Children’s Medical Center.

She works at a children’s hospital and he STILL didn’t wake her up??????????????? I am not buying this story either!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think she was asleep!
JMO

What I took from that WAS- follow up reports.

IF there was CPS visits or issues (which we know there was) not reported in follow ups, it sounds like that is a problem. But, I dont have any adopted kids. <modsnip>

Again, hard to speculate without knowing specifics about the family's contact with CPS. Nor every report to them results in a finding of anything. and they could well be the agency conducting pre-adoption or follow-up visits. I have know a couple of people reported to CPS for what a babysitter/child care provider took to be bruising on a small child. What it was was something called "mongoloid marks," something common in children of color or mixed race. It is a discoloration that looks very much like bruising and typically occurs around the buttocks area. I also had a co-worker who responsibly made a report of a mark on a child's face, which turned out to be dirt. Better safe than sorry, but still, alarming to the parent to have CPS showing up on the doorstep.

Can't say for certain, but it would also appear that whatever the involvement was did not lead to any protective actions for either child.

JMO, I think it is entirely possible for prospective adoptive parents to get good recommendations even when those recommendations are not deserved. Some people have a private life that is nothing like their public life. Sadly, there are lots of deceitful people in this world. Remember the old saying "All that glitters is not gold".

Totally agree. There are A LOT of people who look good on paper and/or in person. Adoption agencies make decisions based on what other people say, work history, education, no criminal record, interviews, etc. If all that checked out and protocol was followed, they can't be held accountable for what happens after. I bet they thought this family was a God send. Someone adopting a special needs little girl from India, who is also an Indian family and can keep her culture part of her life, a close in age sister...they were probably elated for Sherin. I feel a lot of sympathy for them.

Too good to be true applies here, but that is not the fault of an adoption agency.

Apologies. The update header at the top of the article about Sini is misleading

The statement was from her attorney on her behalf:

"”Now that Mr. Mathews has turned himself into the police and told them what happened to Sherin, we see no need for Mrs. Mathews to endure further police interrogation," the statement said. "She had nothing to do with Sherin's death or the removal of her body from the home."
Since she is grieving for her lost daughter and "struggling to pick up the pieces of a shattered life," her attorney said they will not be conducting any interviews or releasing any information at this time.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The statement was from her attorney on her behalf:

"&#8221;Now that Mr. Mathews has turned himself into the police and told them what happened to Sherin, we see no need for Mrs. Mathews to endure further police interrogation," the statement said. "She had nothing to do with Sherin's death or the removal of her body from the home."
Since she is grieving for her lost daughter and "struggling to pick up the pieces of a shattered life," her attorney said they will not be conducting any interviews or releasing any information at this time.&#8221;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, this is the header that is really misleading. "Updated at 5:30 p.m. to include a statement from Sherin Mathews' mother, Sini Mathews."

He didn't try to kill himself when he was out on bond, did he? What makes them think he'll try it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mhmkay..