TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my thoughts.... I honestly believe that when LE had time to look over all that happened to Missy that morning, with time, they would have known that this was targeted. I think the staging of burglary gave perp time to leave and hide evidence before they knew it was targeted. I also think looking at her phone , emails, and BBs information that it was just a matter of time til they put it together. I don't believe someone robbing a church would have killed her in that manner or overkill. The FBI would have seen this kind of murder so many times. So Jethro... do you agree or do you think it's possible that if SP hadn't made that mistake, it would have been a burglary gone wrong? I love how you see things ....such good info for all of us. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe, in time, they would have looked at the idea of targeted but I doubt so early on unless there was some strong reason to do so. No matter what, they would still be looking at the husband and they would have looked at her iPhone so some people would have been looked at regardless. Absent any evidence of clear staging I expect they would be working the burglary gone work scenario pretty hard and would probably indicate that direction in the media where they had the opportunity. But it was early on where rumblings of targeted started, even before the long MPD video came out. It had to come from somewhere.

There has to be some evidence that would suggest that something else was going on in that church that morning other than a burglary gone wrong. Some skilled investigator had to raise that suggestion with some foundation rather than it be looked into merely on some whim. I doubt it was the case where someone in their investigator meetings said, "All the evidence clearly points to a burglary gone wrong but what if it was targeted instead?" and then they all went head-long into diverting their resources to that possibility. Something was seen either on the video they had or in crime scene photos that was more than just odd but rather inconsistent or contradictory in terms of everything else, in my opinion. It is possible that it wasn't seen in those videos or photos but something in the autopsy report was inconsistent or contradictory.

There was certainly enough in the videos that was odd and unusual but that alone wouldn't necessarily indicate that it was something other than a burglary gone wrong.

SP did a superb job , MPD did a poor job, or both if after nearly 10 months it is truly the case that MPD, is still uncertain as to what was happening in that church that morning.

To me, it would be interesting to see the last few videos of when she had the bootcamp at that location...any random cars in the parking lot..maybe sitting and watching from afar. Or the video from the night before....to see if there was anyone in the parking lot area or the Shop down the road to see if the camry were there the night before, maybe scoping out the place, etc.

On another note....was there anything of value a perp might be interested in stealing from the church? If so, where was it located? Could this be an actual person looking for something, doing a little vandalizing, and panicked when Missy came in?

Maybe, in time, they would have looked at the idea of targeted but I doubt so early on unless there was some strong reason to do so. No matter what, they would still be looking at the husband and they would have looked at her iPhone so some people would have been looked at regardless. Absent any evidence of clear staging I expect they would be working the burglary gone work scenario pretty hard and would probably indicate that direction in the media where they had the opportunity. But it was early on where rumblings of targeted started, even before the long MPD video came out. It had to come from somewhere.

There has to be some evidence that would suggest that something else was going on in that church that morning other than a burglary gone wrong. Some skilled investigator had to raise that suggestion with some foundation rather than it be looked into merely on some whim. I doubt it was the case where someone in their investigator meetings said, "All the evidence clearly points to a burglary gone wrong but what if it was targeted instead?" and then they all went head-long into diverting their resources to that possibility. Something was seen either on the video they had or in crime scene photos that was more than just odd but rather inconsistent or contradictory in terms of everything else, in my opinion. It is possible that it wasn't seen in those videos or photos but something in the autopsy report was inconsistent or contradictory.

There was certainly enough in the videos that was odd and unusual but that alone wouldn't necessarily indicate that it was something other than a burglary gone wrong.

SP did a superb job , MPD did a poor job, or both if after nearly 10 months it is truly the case that MPD, is still uncertain as to what was happening in that church that morning.

Very good.... agree

And, after a couple of months of investigating it, what led them to start investigating the possibility of untargeted?

Back during the summer I had to read that portion of that affidavit again b/c I had thought it possible that she had been killed somewhere away from the church and brought in through the front doors (West facing main doors). I think I actually posed this question in August.

Here is the wording from the affidavit:

At approximately 0418 hours, the victim Terri Bevers is observed entering the building
through the main door under the awning area. The video shows Terri Bevers walking
toward where the suspects location. Neither the suspect nor victim, were seen again on
video. The victim was later found deceased at the south west comer of the interior of the
building.

The second sentence is strange to me. It's almost as if the detective was in a hurry or his mind wasn't in sync with his typing. Of course this is common with affidavit text.

I guess if one might over analyze the words used such as 'observed' and 'shows' - they seem a bit neutral to me. Certainly not as demonstrative as the word 'seen' in third sentence to describe Missy and SP out of camera range.

Could someone have driven Missy's truck and pretended to unload some gear etc. and walk toward the West doors and walk directly out after? How about someone that looks approximately like Missy? Wearing a hooded jacket where the face isn't seen clearly? It was raining after all...

The scenario where she was murdered away from the church would require multiple perps (at least two), and likely at least one would have to be in contact with her prior to her death.

IMO this would explain many things:

• Casual demeanor of SP in the church (they're just staging and waiting, perhaps even with lookout(s) and radio comm)
  • No video of her driving up under porteco and/or entering the building released
  • No 911 calls released
  • No autopsy or cause of death released

My mind has gone through a lot of scenarios over the months, and I keep coming back to how risky an ambush in the church hall would be (even with a gun or similar weapon). There's a lot of 'what ifs' that crop up in my mind.

How do you seemingly plan something like this down to the potential detail of her walking down a certain hallway? What if she altered her routine even slightly, like bringing someone with her OR having her gun on her as she entered the church etc etc? At that point do you abort? What if this was attempted at a prior date and aborted for some reason? Has LE checked out earlier video from the church or SWFA for something suspicious like a car parking at church and then leaving before her class starts?

It would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall at Midlo PD's case room...

I think, jmo, that Missy was murdered in the church. I really get intrigued by your posts but I just cant see the sp(s) killing her elsewhere...that would be a huge risk being seen in multiple places. The sp was observed in one place (church) and that was a lower risk to be seen in regards to killing her in another location that the public could observe.Missy was boxed in the church and I truly believe the sp(s) knew of her inside set up routine precisely by first hand knowledge. Im still on the fence regarding the Altima and the gun store video as a second location that the sp was seen.

I think, jmo, that Missy was murdered in the church. I really get intrigued by your posts but I just cant see the sp(s) killing her elsewhere...that would be a huge risk being seen in multiple places. The sp was observed in one place (church) and that was a lower risk to be seen in regards to killing her in another location that the public could observe.Missy was boxed in the church and I truly believe the sp(s) knew of her inside set up routine precisely by first hand knowledge. Im still on the fence regarding the Altima and the gun store video as a second location that the sp was seen.

I can't even imagine killing Missy elsewhere or her home. Her daughter could have gotten up to say bye to her mother....it's raining and you have foot prints picking her up and putting her in a car... some people go to work early(shift work) and some come home at odd hours... I get up often and let my dogs out at 4 am...I have neighbors that are up early jogging an hour before work... these are the things that a perp would have to think about . Why risk it? No one is at the church and they can kill her and walk out. JMO

To me, it would be interesting to see the last few videos of when she had the bootcamp at that location...any random cars in the parking lot..maybe sitting and watching from afar. Or the video from the night before....to see if there was anyone in the parking lot area or the Shop down the road to see if the camry were there the night before, maybe scoping out the place, etc.

On another note....was there anything of value a perp might be interested in stealing from the church? If so, where was it located? Could this be an actual person looking for something, doing a little vandalizing, and panicked when Missy came in?

RBBM, Where was it said a Camry seen anywhere? TIA

Yeah it's tough without more video. You kind of have to take things at face value from MPD.

I like to explore possibilities, and to me it just isn't that far of a stretch (IF there are multiple people involved) that she could be killed away from the church. IF somehow that's the case it would make things complicated in terms of moving a body and DNA containment (Missy's truck also) etc. Also, the timing. You wouldn't want a camper showing up before or during the time you drove up in Missy's truck (that's crazy high risk).

Someone mentioned earlier (and we've discussed this some on WS), but what did MPD mean by 'untargeted'. I've never heard that before then. To me it meant they're exploring the possibility of an 'accident' or 'event' that took place. What are other's take on that? Seemed like an odd term to me.

The Altima is definitely a weird thing, and IMO is involved. I can envision many scenarios where the car would be difficult to locate after the crime, most of them are pretty obvious.

Back during the summer I had to read that portion of that affidavit again b/c I had thought it possible that she had been killed somewhere away from the church and brought in through the front doors (West facing main doors). I think I actually posed this question in August.

At approximately 0418 hours, the victim Terri Bevers is observed entering the building
through the main door under the awning area. The video shows Terri Bevers walking
toward where the suspects location. Neither the suspect nor victim, were seen again on
video. The victim was later found deceased at the south west comer of the interior of the
building.

The second sentence is strange to me. It's almost as if the detective was in a hurry or his mind wasn't in sync with his typing. Of course this is common with affidavit text.

I guess if one might over analyze the words used such as 'observed' and 'shows' - they seem a bit neutral to me. Certainly not as demonstrative as the word 'seen' in third sentence to describe Missy and SP out of camera range.

Could someone have driven Missy's truck and pretended to unload some gear etc. and walk toward the West doors and walk directly out after? How about someone that looks approximately like Missy? Wearing a hooded jacket where the face isn't seen clearly? It was raining after all...

The scenario where she was murdered away from the church would require multiple perps (at least two), and likely at least one would have to be in contact with her prior to her death.

IMO this would explain many things:

• Casual demeanor of SP in the church (they're just staging and waiting, perhaps even with lookout(s) and radio comm)
  • No video of her driving up under porteco and/or entering the building released
  • No 911 calls released
  • No autopsy or cause of death released

My mind has gone through a lot of scenarios over the months, and I keep coming back to how risky an ambush in the church hall would be (even with a gun or similar weapon). There's a lot of 'what ifs' that crop up in my mind.

How do you seemingly plan something like this down to the potential detail of her walking down a certain hallway? What if she altered her routine even slightly, like bringing someone with her OR having her gun on her as she entered the church etc etc? At that point do you abort? What if this was attempted at a prior date and aborted for some reason? Has LE checked out earlier video from the church or SWFA for something suspicious like a car parking at church and then leaving before her class starts?

It would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall at Midlo PD's case room...

I'm pleased that you are also remembering the fact that MB entered the building through the main entrance to the West side of the building (whether she had been carried by her murderer or entered by herself). I 100% know this was claimed by media in the first days after the killing. It was said she parked under the awning area SW, exited her car and went to the main entrance West to enter the building, going down the hallway and opening the SW doors from inside.
A little later after this report nobody had ever heard of it (West main entrance) and suddenly MB's way for entering the CCoC was "Southwest".

Scanning first I saw of "targeted" was posted on Tues April 19 @ 6:17 a.m.

snip

Midlothian Murder May Have Been Targeted Attack
April 19, 2016 6:17 AM By Jennifer Lindgren http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/19/midlothian-murder-may-have-been-targeted-attack/
In surveillance video, the suspect can be seen wandering the halls of the church dressed head-to-toe in police SWAT gear. The suspect could be a man or a woman, officials said. The heavy tactical gear makes it hard to identify the individual. The motive behind the attack remains unclear. Authorities stated that Bevers may have interrupted a burglary.

However, some clues suggest that this was a targeted attack. Attorney and former police officer Pete Schulte said, “This is not your routine burglary. I don’t want to say anything’s routine but, if somebody’s going to try to go burglarize a business, they’re going to get in and get out and try to grab as much stuff as they can and then leave.” In the security video, the suspect is never seen taking anything from the church.

NBC5 same day 4/19
So far, police have not settled on a motive, although police said Monday it was possible Bevers interrupted a burglary.
"Even amongst our investigators, there are a lot of theories," Johnson said Tuesday. "We’re discussing all possibilities. And we'll go where the evidence leads us." http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Po...idlothian-Murder-Investigation-376269831.html

And, after a couple of months of investigating it, what led them to start investigating the possibility of untargeted?

LE are going to pursue the tips they have. I believe that early in the investigation, everyone close to the situation was sure that it was targeted. Not really because evidence pointed to it, but because it's hard to get your mind around a murder in a church by someone in a police uniform being an unintentional event.

And I think LE was pre-disposed to believe it was targeted anyway, even without any tips. The media interviewed the Tarleton State former police chief. There was also a female former chief interviewed. Both looked at the video and had the knee-jerk reaction that this was someone who knew MB, who targeted her specifically.

I call BS on that, btw. Just because an event occurs that is out of the ordinary, that doesn't mean it was planned. And inexplicable movements caught on camera don't make the perp cunning and intelligent. Any more than some strange statements by Peter Sellers' character made him a smart and powerful person in "Being There".

Anyhoo, MPD had people in their ear telling them it was a love triangle. And they had seen with their own eyes the messages between MB and CW. So they spent all their time investigating various people and not following the random angle at all.

When they started looking at untargeted was when the other stuff didn't pan out. They got the FB stuff back and then let it become unsealed by late June / early July after it held no evidentiary value. And the Altima info released in late May didn't turn up anything either. I'm sure they were hoping that someone would come forward and say they saw a car just like that at BB's house a few days before the murder, or that they recognized that as being a car belonging to a friend of CT, etc

None of that happened. So when the evidence doesn't lead you toward anything planned or intentional, a smart LE starts to look at alternatives.

I can't even imagine killing Missy elsewhere or her home. Her daughter could have gotten up to say bye to her mother....it's raining and you have foot prints picking her up and putting her in a car... some people go to work early(shift work) and some come home at odd hours... I get up often and let my dogs out at 4 am...I have neighbors that are up early jogging an hour before work... these are the things that a perp would have to think about . Why risk it? No one is at the church and they can kill her and walk out. JMO

The sp, jmo, didnt want to inflict pain on the the daughters if the murder was at her home. Even though the crime would no doubt create pain regardless for Missy's loved ones. The sp(s) wanted Missy alone on her own individual turf with out possible witnesses. Anyone could have found Missy's home address or observed her daily routine at home but her work environment was chosen? Why?.......everything leads to me a targeted murder. Hit or ?

At first, I do believe they felt it was untargeted. But after viewing the videos and then interviewing witnesses, it became apparent to them it was targeted. Husband out of town, revelations Missy was or had "affairs", fil out of town, scorned women who may have wanted her dead, scorned men who may have wanted her dead, the timing, the location, nothing missing from the church, the SP's actions and lack of how to break in, the way they were dressed
in a SWAT outfit, no worry about looking directly into the camera, the car in the SWFA parking lot....

I did and still do find it interesting
that the PD stated it appeared SP spent a lot of time in the kitchen, and their belief SP exited the same place where he entered. What makes them say that? I can't make it work that SP would have exited the same way he came in. The camera in the NE corner would have caught that.

And maybe they've come back to the untargeted theory because it was a prospect they never seriously considered and because other leads haven't panned out. (that we are aware of)

But....it is still my opinion that MB was targeted. Too many reasons why and not enough reasons why it was a burglary in process. But, all bases need to be covered and they would be remiss not to investigate all angles. (Unless MPD thought refocusing it on murder while burglary in process would quiet the masses and /or hoping that SP will lower their defenses and slip up.)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm pleased that you are also remembering the fact that MB entered the building through the main entrance to the West side of the building (whether she had been carried by her murderer or entered by herself). I 100% know this was claimed by media in the first days after the killing. It was said she parked under the awning area SW, exited her car abd went to the main entrance West to enter the building, going down the hallway and opening the SW doors from inside.
A little later after this report nobody had ever heard of it (West main entrance) and suddenly MB's way for entering the CCoC was "Southwest".

Hi FromGermany,

Actually I should have clarified a bit. The reason I mentioned the West facing main doors is b/c it appeared out of camera range. So someone could open those doors from within the church and other(s) bring body in, and subsequently all perps leave in the vehicle right then.

I don't recall all of the media from back in April, and I take what any media says with some healthy doubt as far as details go. That said, her truck was under the awning/porteco, and I think it was verified by someone on WS from MPD that she in fact entered from the doors at the porteco (SW side). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The sp, jmo, didnt want to inflict pain on the the daughters if the murder was at her home. Even though the crime would no doubt create pain regardless for Missy's loved ones. The sp(s) wanted Missy alone on her own individual turf with out possible witnesses. Anyone could have found Missy's home address or observed her daily routine at home but her work environment was chosen? Why?.......everything leads to me a targeted murder. Hit or ?

I totally agree with you.... !!!

LE are going to pursue the tips they have. I believe that early in the investigation, everyone close to the situation was sure that it was targeted. Not really because evidence pointed to it, but because it's hard to get your mind around a murder in a church by someone in a police uniform being an unintentional event.

And I think LE was pre-disposed to believe it was targeted anyway, even without any tips. The media interviewed the Tarleton State former police chief. There was also a female former chief interviewed. Both looked at the video and had the knee-jerk reaction that this was someone who knew MB, who targeted her specifically.

I call BS on that, btw. Just because an event occurs that is out of the ordinary, that doesn't mean it was planned. And inexplicable movements caught on camera don't make the perp cunning and intelligent. Any more than some strange statements by Peter Sellers' character made him a smart and powerful person in "Being There".

Anyhoo, MPD had people in their ear telling them it was a love triangle. And they had seen with their own eyes the messages between MB and CW. So they spent all their time investigating various people and not following the random angle at all.

When they started looking at untargeted was when the other stuff didn't pan out. They got the FB stuff back and then let it become unsealed by late June / early July after it held no evidentiary value. And the Altima info released in late May didn't turn up anything either. I'm sure they were hoping that someone would come forward and say they saw a car just like that at BB's house a few days before the murder, or that they recognized that as being a car belonging to a friend of CT, etc

None of that happened. So when the evidence doesn't lead you toward anything planned or intentional, a smart LE starts to look at alternatives.

Or the suspect blundering around the church is a criminal mastermind like no other.

Scanning first I saw of "targeted" was posted on Tues April 19 @ 6:17 a.m.

snip

Midlothian Murder May Have Been Targeted Attack
April 19, 2016 6:17 AM By Jennifer Lindgren http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/19/midlothian-murder-may-have-been-targeted-attack/
In surveillance video, the suspect can be seen wandering the halls of the church dressed head-to-toe in police SWAT gear. The suspect could be a man or a woman, officials said. The heavy tactical gear makes it hard to identify the individual. The motive behind the attack remains unclear. Authorities stated that Bevers may have interrupted a burglary.

However, some clues suggest that this was a targeted attack. Attorney and former police officer Pete Schulte said, “This is not your routine burglary. I don’t want to say anything’s routine but, if somebody’s going to try to go burglarize a business, they’re going to get in and get out and try to grab as much stuff as they can and then leave.” In the security video, the suspect is never seen taking anything from the church.

Keep in mind that in the very first presser on the afternoon of the 18th, Chief Smith was already saying that nothing was reported missing, and that this wasn't a normal time for a burglary to occur, etc. They were moving toward a targeted theory from the beginning, IMHO.

I'm still waiting for Smith to explain why 4 am on a Monday morning is not an excellent time to break into a church.

MPD has stated that Missy was seen inside the church walking, which they also swore to under oath with the search warrant for obtaining the contents of Missy's iPhone and iPad.

As an aside ...

One thing that I re-learned is that this particular warrant was not signed until 5:50 pm the day after the murder. After the autopsy was complete. After MPD interviewed BB. So my one consideration about MPD possibly knowing about CW from Missy's iPhone prior to the BB interview goes out the window. I find it very useful to review and revisit items, especially those that seem to be settled business, it helps to make sure that I don't leave impossible options within the realm of the the possible. So in this particular situation - whether MPD knew about CW prior to the BB interview limits the possibility that if they did know it could only come from an interview with another person. If they didn't know then the only possible source was BB.

Oh, and one more thing that is related. I had previously made comments that it was only recently - like weeks - prior to Missy's murder that BB had bought Missy a stereo for her truck. That also is incorrect as a review of MB's Facebook recently showed me as it was actually in early November of 2015. This means that it is entirely possible that BB could have known about CW from the very beginning - if that only started in January and not any earlier.

Best not to muddy up the waters that are already murky enough and better still to clean up any mess I may have made when I recognize it or if no one else has corrected it.

I don't understand the connection "stereo - CW", sorry. :thinking:

Respectfully snipped for space...Quote Originally Posted by nearsouth View Post

building.

I'm pleased that you are also remembering the fact that MB entered the building through the main entrance to the West side of the building (whether she had been carried by her murderer or entered by herself). I 100% know this was claimed by media in the first days after the killing. It was said she parked under the awning area SW, exited her car and went to the main entrance West to enter the building, going down the hallway and opening the SW doors from inside.

Respectfully, that was not a fact of MB entering through the main entrance to the West side of the building. That was peoples theories and it was incorrect. And we know for a fact because MPD clarified, that MB entered the building where her truck was parked. SW side of building. **If by media you mean NG, she is clearly wrong and has been on many things on this case.
cannonball MPD confirmation where MB entered.JPG
ETA: Do not mean this snarky toward you, much respect to you FromGermany....from Arkansasmimi :loveyou:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...T-gear-18-Apr-2016-32&p=12687988#post12687988

Keep in mind that in the very first presser on the afternoon of the 18th, Chief Smith was already saying that nothing was reported missing, and that this wasn't a normal time for a burglary to occur, etc. They were moving toward a targeted theory from the beginning, IMHO.

I'm still waiting for Smith to explain why 4 am on a Monday morning is not an excellent time to break into a church.

I dont think LE there has much experience with crimes like this. I am sure they are working hard behind the scenes but so many outside agencies were called in. Crime scene was released fairly quick. I have read before that burglaries and violent crimes such as home invasions occur most likely between 1 and 5 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257