Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the search for Tom Brown.

So far, they have released that they found some of his clothing and his cell phone. They are still searching for a .25 calibur pistol - they have the shell casing from his car.

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/...ence-in-case-of-missing-teenager-thomas-brown

It really bothers me that it took eleven months to find his cellphone. I wonder if they were using a metal detector to find it?

It sounds to me like a bad person got ahold of Tom, immediately took his cellphone and turned it off. It sounds like the bad stuff may have happened out toward Lake Marvin or even further out, and then the bad guy(s) brought his car back into town before sunrise to avert suspicion from crime scene.

Okay, I just "virtually" drove around Lake Marvin and back to Canadian via google maps street view. Street view goes all the way around the lake. I was surprised how brushy the area is (see pics below). The street view was taken in June of 2014, so the trees and grass were green and tall. It looks like a good place for teenagers to hang out and park or party, and a it would be very easy to conceal a body.

Also, if it weren't for the helicopter search, I'm sure it would have been hard to find the SUV, which was parked at a remote location close to town, somewhere between the softball fields and the wastewater treatment plant. What you can't see from 2D maps is that Canadian is hillier than you would expect, being located in sort of a canyon where the river.

Google street view at the entrance to Lake Marvin:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.887...4!1s4_cyEJW5MQbGcwZbRX3Jyw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Screenshots of the road around Lake Marvin, to show trees and brush:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.20.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.20.43 AM.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.25.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.25.08 AM.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.16.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.16.22 AM.png
    609.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.23.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.23.06 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 324
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.22.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.22.16 AM.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 305
There is an article about Thomas on the front page of the Amarillo Globe News. Its actually more of a 4 part spread, focusing on different parts of Thomas' missing story.

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2017-11-18/one-year-no-thomas-it-s-been-long-12-months-canadian

From the article:

Meek said the Hemphill County Sheriff’s Office won’t talk to her about the investigation.

“They shut me out a long time ago,” she said. “They don’t want to talk to me. Any question you ask, they say it’s an ongoing investigation, but they can go down and tell others about the investigation. I’ve talked to the DA (Hemphill County District Attorney Kyle Miller) and haven’t found that very helpful.

Also from the article:

“We don’t even have enough evidence to show that a suspect was involved,” Lewis said. “Right now, there is no suspect at all. You have an 18-year-old young man who’s simply disappeared.”

“There’s a growing opinion the sheriff’s office has not done enough, and I’m not sure that’s fair,” Brown said. “I would say we are aware of some mistakes made in the beginning, which are kind of troubling, but on the other hand, this was Sheriff Lewis’ trial by fire, and it came very early on the job.

“I’m not sure how realistic how much the office can do at this point.

Thank you for the link to that series of articles. Sadly, no new information in them.

My family-member connection in Canadian confirms that this case was way over the young, new sheriff's head.

I thought it might be helpful to talk out the different possibilities in this case, with pros and cons. People can add or comment to this discussion as they see fit.

ISTM that there are three main possibilities:

1) TB committed suicide;

2) TB ran away;

3) TB was murdered. (This one could be broken down further at some point, say between the possibilities of a local person---someone TB knew----and a stranger (SK or other predator).

Any possibilities that I've missed?

(I'll go through these one by one with separate posts, though maybe not all tonight.)

First possibility: TB committed suicide.

ISTM that if we utilize Occam's Razor to this case, suicide is the simplest, neatest explanation. The disappearance of TB would be solely due to the actions of TB, without assistance from any other person (although you could devise scenarios where other individuals had knowledge of and/or assisted in the plan).

We are told that TB posted something to Instagram the day before his disappearance (not sure if this would have been Tuesday or Wednesday) that indicated he might be ... troubled. Also, we know that he quit the football team his senior year when he had been a starter. His junior year the team won the state championship. We think a new student moved to town who was giving the starting position over TB, and this might or might not have been the reason he quit the team.

So here's a general idea of what would have happened:

-- TB, the senior class president, is not happy.

--On Tuesday or Wednesday, TB makes a troubling (at least after the fact) posting to his Instagram account.

--Wednesday, Nov. 23, the evening before Thanksgiving, TB drove around town with a couple of his buddies. His friends did not notice anything unusual in his demeanor. He dropped them off around 11:30, and his midnight curfew was approaching.

--TB stopped to get gas. He was still using his phone.

--TB did not make it home by his midnight curfew. He turned his phone off at midnight. A text from his brother asking his whereabouts was received but not read. Further texts were not even delivered, because his phone was off.

--TB continued to drive around and do other unknown things all night long. He drove through town around 4:40am.

--TB may have driven out to Lake Marvin, and may have dumped his backpack, school computer and phone not far from the road, somewhere between town and Lake Marvin. (or he might have carried the items there after leaving his car.)

--At nearly 6am, TB drove to the north part of Canadian, parked his car somewhere near the wastewater treatment plant, under some trees, left the car windows partially open and the car unlocked, and walked away from the car.

--It is possible (based upon the dogs following a scent), that TB walked down to the Canadian River marsh, and then continued from there. (Question: I wonder why they couldn't track footprints through the mud.) He may have walked across the river, or down the river. He may have walked to the area where he ditched his backpack, computer, and phone. (But if he had walked to along a road, you would think somebody would have seen him.)

--Somewhere out there, TB committed suicide, and did it in a location or manner that has prevented his body from being found.

----------

This is the simplest explanation, in that it involves only TB and nobody else (necessarily).

Weaknesses in this theory:

--Why did TB need to get gas before killing himself?

--Why did his friends not notice a change in demeanor?

--Why did he drive around all night without turning on his cellphone?

--No note?

--WHERE IS THE BODY??

It seems to me that this last question is the biggest weakness in the case. While I'm not going to say it would be impossible to kill yourself in a manner so that your body was not found, it does seem highly unlikely. I don't know of any reason a suicidal person would go to such great lengths to pull this off.

What would you add or subtract from this analysis?

This post consists of my opinions only.

ISTM that if we utilize Occam's Razor to this case, suicide is the simplest, neatest explanation. The disappearance of TB would be solely due to the actions of TB, without assistance from any other person (although you could devise scenarios where other individuals had knowledge of and/or assisted in the plan).

We are told that TB posted something to Instagram the day before his disappearance (not sure if this would have been Tuesday or Wednesday) that indicated he might be ... troubled. Also, we know that he quit the football team his senior year when he had been a starter. His junior year the team won the state championship. We think a new student moved to town who was giving the starting position over TB, and this might or might not have been the reason he quit the team.

--On Tuesday or Wednesday, TB makes a troubling (at least after the fact) posting to his Instagram account.

--Wednesday, Nov. 23, the evening before Thanksgiving, TB drove around town with a couple of his buddies. His friends did not notice anything unusual in his demeanor. He dropped them off around 11:30, and his midnight curfew was approaching.

--TB did not make it home by his midnight curfew. He turned his phone off at midnight. A text from his brother asking his whereabouts was received but not read. Further texts were not even delivered, because his phone was off.

--TB continued to drive around and do other unknown things all night long. He drove through town around 4:40am.

--TB may have driven out to Lake Marvin, and may have dumped his backpack, school computer and phone not far from the road, somewhere between town and Lake Marvin. (or he might have carried the items there after leaving his car.)

--At nearly 6am, TB drove to the north part of Canadian, parked his car somewhere near the wastewater treatment plant, under some trees, left the car windows partially open and the car unlocked, and walked away from the car.

--It is possible (based upon the dogs following a scent), that TB walked down to the Canadian River marsh, and then continued from there. (Question: I wonder why they couldn't track footprints through the mud.) He may have walked across the river, or down the river. He may have walked to the area where he ditched his backpack, computer, and phone. (But if he had walked to along a road, you would think somebody would have seen him.)

--Somewhere out there, TB committed suicide, and did it in a location or manner that has prevented his body from being found.

----------

This is the simplest explanation, in that it involves only TB and nobody else (necessarily).

--No note?

--WHERE IS THE BODY??

It seems to me that this last question is the biggest weakness in the case. While I'm not going to say it would be impossible to kill yourself in a manner so that your body was not found, it does seem highly unlikely. I don't know of any reason a suicidal person would go to such great lengths to pull this off.

One of the major issues I have with this theory is that there was blood on the inside of the cab of the truck. How much blood? LE hasn't confirmed, but its been reported it could be enough of a sign of a struggle.

Another issue I have is his car was seen driving until the early morning hours - while people were looking for him. So did he manage to ditch the truck, walk to wherever he killed himself, kill himself (no reports of gunshots) and hide his own dead body well enough to not be found a year later? I doubt it.

I do not think suicide is what happened here. I do believe his friends are an important key to this.

Also? Wasn't it reported that some in the town are being less cooperative now? I am certain I read that (correct me if I am wrong though!). If thats true - why would they shut down the investigation unless they had something to hide. If it were suicide, what are they hiding.

----------

--No note?

--WHERE IS THE BODY??

This is amazing, thank you so much, Bill Carson! I can say that with regards to this case, I'm totally at a loss. I really want to see Thomas found....Though, I unfortunately don't expect a good outcome. :( That said, I do so much appreciate your analysis of this case! Thank you!

--No note?

--WHERE IS THE BODY??

Snipped for space-

Why drive around all night long? Was he visiting or driving by places that meant something to him? Trying to find the courage?

From what I remember, there was a small amount of blood found in his vehicle, along with a .25 casing. I could easily write off the blood (football injury, bloody nose, cut) if it was truly a small amount.

But why is there a bullet casing in the vehicle? Does/did TB have access to a .25? If it was suicide, one would think the body would be near the casing (if indeed it was a self-inflicted gunshot). But if the .25 is related, it seems that he would have had to shoot himself then walk a fair distance from the vehicle to not be found. Not ruling out the possibility, but I really don't want to imagine something like that happening.

Why are his belongings not in the vehicle? Why dump them at all? What was on them that he didn't want seen?

I can't imagine having friends willing to lie to cover up a suicide at all. But I think if they were lying, they would have said something like he caught a ride out of town.

Other than a potentially troubling Instagram post and a missing teen, I'm just not connecting the dots on suicide at all.

--------------
My theory is that he was having issues with teammates on the football team. Either they were sabotaging him and forcing him to look bad so he'd lose his spot, or maybe there was tension and they just weren't playing well together.

I think there was either a whole lot of lying done by these two "friends" and possibly their parents. Or TB went to get gas and picked up another "friend". I'd like to know who on the football team as well as those he had contact with had access to a .25. I wonder if either of the friends he dropped off did?

Would those two friends cover for a third friend? Would a parent cover for their kid? Has anyone besides the two friends he was with verified that it was just the trio hanging out that night?

Was TB actually spotted getting gas or are they just using the debit card transaction as proof? I honestly can't remember now. Was there anyone with him if he was actually seen?

I don't think TB was driving at 4 am or if he was, it wasn't because he wanted to be.

I think whoever was with him forced him to turn off the phone so they couldn't be tracked.

I think a .25 is the ideal weapon of choice for a teenager wanting to scare/murder someone. Easy to conceal in a pocket/sneak it out of the house. Reasonably quiet, so no real risk of neighbors hearing the shot.

Murderer wouldn't want the body found. And probably more apt to dump belongings either because they tie them to the murder or they were looking for something in particular, or maybe just muddying up the case or trying to lead LE away from the location of the body.

It's a lot easier to move (and hide) a dead body away from the crime scene than it is for a dead body to walk away by themselves.

How do you feel about me answering all of your questions with a bunch more questions?!

How do you feel about me answering all of your questions with a bunch more questions?!

Snipped for space.

I think it's good that we have a discussion. [grin]

I'm too brain dead from reading a couple dozen pages to catch up on the Missy Bevers thread to answer you right now.

I don't know what to think about the .25 casing, but if TB had been shot inside the SUV, then there would be more blood and evidence. I'm going to assume that the casing isn't evidence of anything until there is some evidence that a gun was involved.

I don’t remember what the Instagram post said, or has this not been released?

After reading through the posts, I do not think this was a suicide. I think his disappearance involves friends (not really friends!), football and at least some parents. Whether is was an accident after some harassment or an intentional act, I don't think this poor boy is alive. moo I wonder how the football team did the season following Thomas quitting? Are the seniors from that year still around town or did most high-tail it out of town to college? Someone (more than one someone) does know something and it's a shame they won't come forward or that adults in their lives do not push them to do the right thing. moo They know what happened and they know where his body is at...LE needs to up the pressure, guilt factor, and give his poor family some answers.

I've always felt that this was a suicide, because that seems like the simplest, most likely explanation... But I felt the same thing about Sarah Stern, a 19 year old who disappeared and whose car was found parked near a bridge, and it turned out that she was murdered by her so-called friends. The simplest explanation isn't always the right one and the blood and gun casing found in the car in this case is certainly enough to make me suspect foul play.

I've always felt that this was a suicide, because that seems like the simplest, most likely explanation... But I felt the same thing about Sarah Stern, a 19 year old who disappeared and whose car was found parked near a bridge, and it turned out that she was murdered by her so-called friends. The simplest explanation isn't always the right one and the blood and gun casing found in the car in this case is certainly enough to make me suspect foul play.

Yeah, I think so too. :(

Other possibilities:

1) TB stumbled into or gained knowledge of a crime and had to be eliminated.

2) TB was accidentally killed by a peer who then panicked and got a parent or helper to cover up the crime.

3) TB was in a pedestrian hit and run, and the driver was DUI and opted to hide the body rather than face the consequences.

4) TB arranged with an outside acquaintance to be picked up--possible online romance/other relationship. From what I've heard, they haven't found evidence on the laptop. Perhaps he was having a relationship with someone via console gaming and messaging. That might be harder to examine.

Since the beginning, I never have thought suicide was what happened here. By all accounts, he was was a thoughtful, considerate kid. He was responsible and didn't make snap decisions. I think if it had been suicide, 1) we would have found a body and 2) he would have left a note.

I think if It had been suicide, he would have shown signs. Signs that perhaps weren't obvious ahead of time, but sign people could see, looking back. He had been with friends, he had been texting his girlfriend. LE has seen those texts and they were normal texts. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I also don't think he ran off. This isn't a case of a young teen who maybe feel in love with someone he shouldn't. He was 18 - he would not have to stage a crime scene to leave. He could have just left. No communication was found on his computer either. He had money saved that he didn't take with him.

I think LE messed up BIG TIME at the start of this case and because of that, valuable evidence was not collected and time was lost.

I don't think suicide either. From everyone who as spoken about tom nobody has mentioned any mental health issues or that he was unhappy with life.
It is portrayed as a happy caring family and this I believe. I know people commit suicide without mentioning any problems to anyone but for a son who seems loving towards his family and vice versa I find it hard to imagine him commuting suicide somewhere where his family wouldn't find him. If it was suicide he would have knowingly had to
Dump all his things out randomly
Hide himself
Turn his phone off so its not traced
Left no note
All this he would have done knowing his mum and dad would be left worried sick, devastated that they couldn't bury him peacefully and never have closure.

That doesn't seem like how tom is portrayed at all.

This is the second thread I've been on today where the missing person has had their facebook profile deleted. Other person's facebook was deleted by girlfriend, guessing this one was parent? Not sure how that helps!

This is the second thread I've been on today where the missing person has had their facebook profile deleted. Other person's facebook was deleted by girlfriend, guessing this one was parent? Not sure how that helps!

I wonder when it was deleted? It was there last time I looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member